Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

temp gauge

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 09:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default temp gauge

Tried searching on this one but couldn't pull anything up.

If you wanted to install a temp gauge for the trans, would it be an electrical gauge (i.e. is there already a sensor going to the PCM for this?) or would you have to mechanically install it (and if so, where do you go into the trans?)

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:29 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most people go mechanical. There are 3 popular places to put it.. The test port on the side, the pan, and the send line of the cooler. Most tranny builders I have seen recomend you put it in the send line (send line to the cooler) of the trans. As that is the hottest point seeing as the fluid just came out of the TC.

The internal one can be read with a scanner, I do not know of any guages that can tap into it though.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:43 AM
Launching!

I have the AeroForce Interceptor scan gauge that plugs into the OBD2 port and trans. temp is one of the items it will read. It isnt cheap but it scans like 24 different parameters and displays two at a time. It also scans DTC codes and you can clear them with it as well. Well worth the $220 to me.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:53 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sender line to the cooler is the way to go and very easy with a couple of fittings from any home improvement center...works great and gives piece of mind that this is the hottest the trans will ever get...
Old 01-23-2007, 02:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MY02REDWS6TA
I have the AeroForce Interceptor scan gauge that plugs into the OBD2 port and trans. temp is one of the items it will read. It isnt cheap but it scans like 24 different parameters and displays two at a time. It also scans DTC codes and you can clear them with it as well. Well worth the $220 to me.
Ok, so then there has got to be a wire somewhere that I could rig an electrical gauge to. I just want the trans temp and a water temp gauge, i didn't really want an obd2 plug in because I usually have that hooked up for EFIlife. Thanks for the feedback!
Old 01-23-2007, 04:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

an electrical gauge comes with a sender that you just out in the side of the trans in the test post.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:37 PM
Launching!

No problem.....I guess if you could get a schematic wiring diagram of the PCM wiring you may be able to figure out which wire for the trans temp and water temp. Also, I think they make a plug that you can plug two items into the OBD2 port...sort of like a 'Y' connector. I am not positive about this but I thought I saw one somewhere. Good luck.

Originally Posted by keliente
Ok, so then there has got to be a wire somewhere that I could rig an electrical gauge to. I just want the trans temp and a water temp gauge, i didn't really want an obd2 plug in because I usually have that hooked up for EFIlife. Thanks for the feedback!
Old 01-23-2007, 10:13 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by chrs1313
sender line to the cooler is the way to go and very easy with a couple of fittings from any home improvement center...works great and gives piece of mind that this is the hottest the trans will ever get...
+1...that's where mine is and it works great.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

here is what you need http://www.black98.cz28.com/photo6.html and the test port is fine for the overall temp of the fluid
Old 01-24-2007, 12:51 PM
TECH Regular

I talked to my neighbor that is a very reputable transmission mechanic apparently and he said the test port wasnt the best place for a reading and a T fitting in the line is best. I didnt remember if he said hot or cool line but i went with the cool line. I dont think the temp has ever reached much over 160*
Old 01-24-2007, 02:28 PM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am thinking about buying that for myself. Are the readings pretty accurate? Do you think it's worth the money? I am mostly concerned about trans temp, engine temp, and knock.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Matt D
I am thinking about buying that for myself. Are the readings pretty accurate? Do you think it's worth the money? I am mostly concerned about trans temp, engine temp, and knock.
Yes I definately think it was worth the money. My thoughts were instead of wiring separate gauges for water temp, trans temp, etc and having a bunch of A pillar pods I now have one gauge that will read a **** load of data from the PCM on one nice A pillar pod. Not to mention that it will scan for DTC's, display them and then you can delete them. Saves going to Autozone or wherever to have them scan it for you.

I guess as far as gauge accuracy goes whatever the gauge is displaying is what the PCM is seeing/using to make any adjustments for performance so I would think it is pretty accurate.

The only problem I have with it is I find myself staring at the gauge while I am driving and changing the settings to see what this or that is reading at WOT or whatever and NOT concentrating on driving the damn car straight!

It scans and displays so much data that it takes some time to play around with and decide what you want to see displayed each time you go out.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:55 PM
Retired Street Racer

Yes I definately think it was worth the money. My thoughts were instead of wiring separate gauges for water temp, trans temp, etc and having a bunch of A pillar pods I now have one gauge that will read a **** load of data from the PCM on one nice A pillar pod. Not to mention that it will scan for DTC's, display them and then you can delete them. Saves going to Autozone or wherever to have them scan it for you.

I guess as far as gauge accuracy goes whatever the gauge is displaying is what the PCM is seeing/using to make any adjustments for performance so I would think it is pretty accurate.

The only problem I have with it is I find myself staring at the gauge while I am driving and changing the settings to see what this or that is reading at WOT or whatever and NOT concentrating on driving the damn car straight!

It scans and displays so much data that it takes some time to play around with and decide what you want to see displayed each time you go out.
Awesome man, thanks. I am gonna order one tonight.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:40 PM
Launching!

Awesome man, thanks. I am gonna order one tonight.
I got mine from New Era Performance Parts and I had it in a few days.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:38 PM
Retired Street Racer

That's who i just ordered it from. Lowest price & free shipping!
Old 01-25-2007, 08:25 AM
Launching!

That's who i just ordered it from. Lowest price & free shipping!
Have fun with it......you will love it......
Old 01-25-2007, 05:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Sounds interesting, gonna have to take a look at it.

Damn this thing does alot and looks pretty cool too.

Last edited by Roarin_8; 01-25-2007 at 05:22 PM.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:09 PM
On The Tree

i bought a tranny temp guage [auto meter] and put it into the pan do i actually have to ground the sensor going into the pan to get it to work properly??