Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Th-400 no reverse!!! HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 07:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Th-400 no reverse!!! HELP

I have a new TH400 with a 4000 stall coan converter I installed on my 97 formula. Problem is I have everything hooked up now and I have no reverse. The tires go forward in 1st 2nd 3rd and even reverse. I checked the shifter cable and it seems ok. Any suggestions.
Is it possible that it was built with a forward gear pattern and I am using a reverse pattern shifter?

Also this tranny is leaking fluid out pretty good around the converter.
What could cause that because it was a brand new rebuilt with all new seals. Could a bad vent line cause that or something? I am using Vavoline ATF fluid.

Any suggestions??

Clint
Old 03-25-2007, 08:34 PM
Banned

It's not the shifter, it should have reverse one click from park. Reverse VB or not P, R, N are in the same place.
Does it drive? Does it drive forward in nuetral? Could be the forward clutch stuck on, or several other things. You need to put it on the ground to see if it drives in nuetral.
Who built the trans?
Old 03-27-2007, 01:40 AM
Launching!

Mine is P, N, R, N, 1,2,3
Old 03-27-2007, 03:41 AM
11 Second Club

Does it have a transbrake? You might have to engage the t-brake in order to get it to go in reverse.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:12 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 8a8mfh
It's not the shifter, it should have reverse one click from park. Reverse VB or not P, R, N are in the same place.
Does it drive? Does it drive forward in nuetral? Could be the forward clutch stuck on, or several other things. You need to put it on the ground to see if it drives in nuetral.
Who built the trans?
Alamo preformance in SanAntonio Texas. Goin on memory(I am at work right now) it does go forward in nuetral I will double check when I get home. Unfortunatly the car has a baseline mail order tune from Futral and I have a dynotune session schedualed next week. It will only run for a few seconds very roughly so I cant actually drive it. I also needs exaust/ alignment too boot! But its hard to get those done when I cant back my car out of the garage because I have a tranny with no reverse blowing fluid everywhere.
If all else fails I will have to push it out and try to load it that way.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:13 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by blkbird_WS-6
Does it have a transbrake? You might have to engage the t-brake in order to get it to go in reverse.
No T brake yet. Wanted to get it going first before I did anything too the tranny.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:16 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by kill_machine85
Mine is P, N, R, N, 1,2,3
Well it does have seven clicks I thought it was P P R N 1 2 3, either way I guess R is in the same spot.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:52 AM
Staging Lane

Hey guys, new symptom, I tried it again last night and started off in 3rd gear and it did nothing. Put in park and it did nothing. Pulled it back one click which should have been park 2 and had tires rolled forward when I gave it the gas. WTF is going on with this POS.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:24 AM
Staging Lane

Well I checked with a friend of mine works at a local transmission shop, told him what it was doing and he seemed fairly confident that it was a missing check ball in the bathtub of the VB. He then gave me a TH400 tech manual with a diagram of the VB and pointed in the right direction. Then gave me a bag of check ***** just in case. If it works I will scan the diagram just in case anybody needs it. I forgot to ask about the leaking around the converter.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default third

no rev and no third the direct clutch is not working.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:33 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

ageed is there is no third the direct or thrid clutch is not working , 3rd is direct drive and reverse is a combo of the 3rd clutch and band ,But then again since the second clutch is applied along with the forward clutch in third in a 400 it should have started in 2nd if the direct clutch is bad unless there some massive internal leak like broken support rings or missing ones then it would feel like neutral . Have you spoken with them about it and what did they say ?

Call 888-744-6542

Old 03-31-2007, 05:13 PM
Staging Lane

I tried calling around but cant get there number. Even so they probably wont be much help over the phone and I dont have the time to ship it to them.
I just got done taking the valve body off and there is only one check ball, I tilted the VB slightly when I pulled it so not to sure where it came from.

Now I will try to put them all in according to the diagram.

Anything else I can check while I have the VB off?
Old 03-31-2007, 06:58 PM
Staging Lane

Well that didnt fix anything. still same problem. Seems like I felt it shifting harder though. Anyway now when I shifted it into 3rd gear it made a thud and stopped the motor. Then I put it in neutral and cranked it and put it in 3rd gear real fast and revved it up and nothing. but then 2nd and 1st tires moved. and they still move forward in rev.
Old 04-02-2007, 03:55 PM
Staging Lane

Well I finally got ahold of the guy who built it and he said since I had it for 3 years or more then the warrenty was up and I would have to have it fixed for a charge. Then I explained again how it was still new never used which means it wasnt built right he seems to think since it set up so long that the seals and gaskets in it have dry rotted or gone bad and it needs to be gone through anyway, and thats why its leaking so bad. What a waste of money/time, so if anybody reads this wait and buy the transmission till you actually need it. Dont try to be proactive like me and buy one and let it sit till you get the motor/car ready which might take year if there are setbacks.
So anyway I am gonna have a local shop take it apart and put new seals in it and try it again. If that doesnt work I am gonna buy a bullet and rent a gun!

Thanks for all the help guys!

Quick Reply: Th-400 no reverse!!! HELP