Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Converter Survey!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2003 | 12:07 PM
TECH Resident

Default Aftermarket Converter Survey!

Would you all mind answering a few questions for me? I am trying to do some reaserch to see what company is the best all around for converters.. I would like to compile this data into a webpage for all to see and benefit from.. Do not let my user name fool you I drive an A4 now..

1. Which Converter do you have?

2. What tranny? (Ex: Stock 4l60e, TH 350 etc...)

3. What rear end gears do you have? (NEW QUESTION)

4. What is the STR? (NEW QUESTION)

5. Street Manners on a scale of 1 to 10(10 being stock converter, 1 being completely not streetable)

6. Track time improvements (ie .5 in the 1/4 .3 in the 1/8)

7. Avg 60ft and what tires?

8. Do you have any custom tuning related to the converter?

9. Any major problems?

10. Have you dealt with the customer service of the company? How would you rate it on a scale of 1 to 10?

11. Overall satisfaction (10 totaly satisfied, 1 hate it wish I never bought this converter)

Addtional Comments...

The Initial site is up!! I will continue to update, but Just wanted to ley you all know it is up!

http://www.jrlawns.com/converter/default.htm

THanks all!!

Old 05-06-2003 | 03:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re: Aftermarket Converter Survey!

. Which Converter do you have? ----- 3500 Vigilante

2. What tranny? (Ex: Stock 4l60e, TH 350 etc...)---- Stock trans

GEARS--- 3.42's
STR ---- 2.5

3. Street Manners on a scale of 1 to 10 --- 10, not much change at all

4. Track time improvements - .3 so far.. can do alot better with practice

5. Avg 60ft and what tires? crappy 1.9's and BFG Drags radials

6. Do you have any custom tuning related to the converter?nope

7. Any major problems? tq management

8. Have you dealt with the customer service of the company? How would you rate it on a scale of 1 to 10? 10

9. Overall satisfaction (10 totaly satisfied, 1 hate it wish I never bought this converter) 10

Converter wake up an automatic tranny car.. i think all my cars from now on will have a high stall converter in them..
Old 05-06-2003 | 03:49 PM
D(irecto)r Pepper

1. Which Converter do you have? Yank Thruster Pro 4200

2. What tranny? (Ex: Stock 4l60e, TH 350 etc...) Yank 4L60E

3. Street Manners on a scale of 1 to 10(10 being stock converter, 1 being completely not streetable) 3..hey it;s mostly for the track... but it CAN work on the street.

4. Track time improvements (ie .5 in the 1/4 .3 in the 1/8) ..improvements over stock? i have no idea... but the car has put down some good numbers for what it is.

5. Avg 60ft and what tires? 1.38 60's using MT 26" ET Drags.

6. Do you have any custom tuning related to the converter? No

7. Any major problems? No

8. Have you dealt with the customer service of the company? How would you rate it on a scale of 1 to 10? 10... and 10 is the best? Yes?

9. Overall satisfaction (10 totaly satisfied, 1 hate it wish I never bought this converter) 10..can i vote an 11? No other converter has put down the 60's the MPH, the E.T. this converter has in a H/C car. Not even close.

Addtional Comments...

For a heads/cam street/strip car there is no other verter' that is even in the running...
Yank OWNS.
Old 05-06-2003 | 05:36 PM
TECH Veteran

1. Vig 3600 w/2.37 STR
2. Stock 4L60E
3. D (0-45 mph) OD (50+ mph):8 or 9 (it's just something you get use to)
4. ran a best of 12.45 with stock converter and have run a best of 11.71 with current converter...both runs in good weather.
5. average 60':1.59, best 60':1.53, tires: Hoosier QTP(i love these tires)
6. stock tunning, just hypertech programmer
7. no problems what so ever
8. I haven't personally had to deal with them...never had any problems...did my stall upgrade (3200 to 3600) through Speed Inc...but recently had a friend of my husbands purchase a 3200..got the wrong converter for his LT1 car and they sent him the correct converter in no time.
9. 10
comments: I have been 100% happy with the performance of this converter...I don't for one second regret making to switch to this 3600...glad I did. I am still running my stock trans with no problems and my stock 10-bolt rear end with no problems.
I have 3.42 gears
Old 05-07-2003 | 03:27 AM
Teching In

1. Edge Racing "Street Edge", 9.5" 2800 stall ( www.edgeracingconverters.com ).

2. Slightly beefed 4l60E (upgraded planetaries, clutches, etc.)

3. Street manners: 9

4. N/A..(haven't been to the track)

5. N/A

6. Only PCM changes are from LT1 Edit. But not truly because of the converter. Changes are to shift points and TCC lockup points. Mainly due to extended engine RPM range from mods.

7. Zero problems. Edge Racing is always available and very nice to deal with if I would happen to have a problem though.

8. Customer service is a solid "10"

9. "10". The guys at Edge Racing built this converter for my application. She's even got her own serial number if I have problems or would like to make a change to the converter.

Additional comments: After a lot of research and speaking with several of the manufacturers I felt that Edge Racing had a great product at a superior price point. They don't hype anything, will answer all your questions, and have a great product to boot.

After a lot of data logging I've ciphered that this converter is giving me better than 95% efficiency on the top end. That's on par with every other quality converter out there. I've no complaints.

Old 05-07-2003 | 04:35 AM
TECH Regular

1. Which Converter do you have? Vigilante 3400

2. What tranny? (Ex: Stock 4l60e, TH 350 etc...) Stock 4L60E

3. Street Manners on a scale of 1 to 10(10 being stock converter, 1 being completely not streetable) 9

4. Track time improvements (ie .5 in the 1/4 .3 in the 1/8) .7 1/4 mile

5. Avg 60ft and what tires? 1.9 stock tires

8. Have you dealt with the customer service of the company? How would you rate it on a scale of 1 to 10? Haven't dealt with them

9. Overall satisfaction (10 totaly satisfied, 1 hate it wish I never bought this converter) 10
Old 05-07-2003 | 01:15 PM
11 Second Club

1. Which Converter do you have? Vig2800

2. What tranny? (Ex: Stock 4l60e, TH 350 etc...) Stock

3. Street Manners on a scale of 1 to 10(10 being stock converter, 1 being completely not streetable) 9

4. Track time improvements (ie .5 in the 1/4 .3 in the 1/8) Hard to tell?

5. Avg 60ft and what tires? 1.58 on ET Streets

8. Have you dealt with the customer service of the company? How would you rate it on a scale of 1 to 10? 9

9. Overall satisfaction (10 totaly satisfied, 1 hate it wish I never bought this converter)12!

Addtional Comments...This is with bolt-ons only. I just ordered a TCS 4200.

THanks all!!

Old 05-07-2003 | 08:24 PM
TECH Regular

1. Yank ST3500
2. stock 4L60E
3. 8
4. .25 sec. on a half hearted attempt with no traction on street tires, don't have track tires yet
5. 2.0 sec. on Kumhos
6. only adjusted shift points, quickness, and firmness with the Predator
7. traction, or lack of
8. nope
9. 10

Comments: I feel like with a set of ET streets (or any DR) the gain would be alot better, .6-.7 sec. Have been running the converter in a daily driver for almost year now.
Old 05-07-2003 | 08:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

1. Which Converter do you have? <font color="red">Yank SY3500 <!--color--></font>

2. What tranny? <font color="red"> 4L60E <!--color--></font>

3. Street Manners on a scale of 1 to 10(10 being stock converter, 1 being completely not streetable) <font color="red"> VERY streetable - its actually made for the street!! <!--color--></font>

4. Track time improvements (ie .5 in the 1/4 .3 in the 1/8) <font color="red">with just the verter swap .5 in the 1/4 <!--color--></font>

5. Avg 60ft and what tires? <font color="red"> Best at Gainesville is a 1.66 on Nitto 275/40 DR's, lowered, full interior <!--color--></font>

6. Do you have any custom tuning related to the converter? <font color="red">No <!--color--></font>

7. Any major problems? <font color="red"> I have had ZERO trouble from this converter. Hands down it was the best mod for the money I have done yet<!--color--></font>

8. Have you dealt with the customer service of the company? How would you rate it on a scale of 1 to 10? <font color="red"> I have had pretty good customer service from Mike Senia at Yank <!--color--></font>

9. Overall satisfaction (10 totaly satisfied, 1 hate it wish I never bought this converter) <font color="red"> Call it Bo Derek all the way!! (showing my age) <!--color--></font>

Addtional Comments... This converter is perfect for street and strip if you dont want to run ET streets or slicks. The low STR (1.61) makes it ideal for DR's. Even when I had my 3.23's I still loved driving this converter on the street. I cant say enough about it. Get Yanked!!
Old 05-08-2003 | 10:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

1. Yank ST3500
2. 4L60E
3. 8
4. Only had 1/8th mile times before converter. Went from 8.7 to 8.2 area with just converter
5. 1.7 on Nitto DRs on well prepped track
6. yes, converter has lockup programming on top
7. Had some locking and unlocking issues
8. Never had to contact Mike so I dont know
9. Satisfaction Level is about an 8 ( I want more converter )

I am installing a TP4500 tonight and I will retake the poll with it as soon as I get track times this weekend
Old 05-08-2003 | 12:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

1. Which Converter do you have? <font color="red">TCI 3500<!--color--></font>

2. What tranny? (Ex: Stock 4l60e, TH 350 etc...) <font color="red">Stock<!--color--></font>

3. Street Manners on a scale of 1 to 10(10 being stock converter, 1 being completely not streetable) <font color="red">9, can be annoying in traffic with a loud exhaust<!--color--></font>

4. Track time improvements (ie .5 in the 1/4 .3 in the 1/8) <font color="red">.35 for the 1/4, virtually no MPH loss<!--color--></font>

5. Avg 60ft and what tires? <font color="red">1.67, Hoosier QTP<!--color--></font>

6. Do you have any custom tuning related to the converter? <font color="red">Lockup speeds<!--color--></font>

7. Any major problems? <font color="red">No<!--color--></font>

8. Have you dealt with the customer service of the company? How would you rate it on a scale of 1 to 10? <font color="red">Kevin Winsted from TCI was very helpful before I decided on the TCI. I haven't had any problems, so I haven't had to deal with them since.<!--color--></font>

9. Overall satisfaction (10 totaly satisfied, 1 hate it wish I never bought this converter) <font color="red">9, I don't think I'll drive another car/truck without a stall<!--color--></font>

Addtional Comments...
TCI is frowned on by some, but it's a great value. I could have had a Yank, but decided it wasn't worth the extra $400 or so.
Old 05-09-2003 | 08:13 PM
TECH Addict

Very nice survey.

Only question you forgot though is to ask which gearing they have. Gears have a lot to do with streetability. Also you should have asked for the STR, that helps with 60 foots
Old 05-10-2003 | 11:10 AM
TECH Resident

Lots og great info all! Keep it coming.. I have added some questions based on 20002 Trans Am's suggestions!
Old 05-10-2003 | 11:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

. Which Converter do you have? Yank SS3800E

2. What tranny? Speed Inc Stzage 2

3. What rear end gears do you have? 3.70

4. What is the STR? 2.55

5. Street Manners, its a 7 street able but noticable that its there

6. Track time improvements, don't know yet

7. Avg 60ft and what tires? no idea

8. Do you have any custom tuning related to the converter? yes shift points,lock up points and excessive slippage codes delete but alre also related to the new gear.

9. Any major problems? No

10. Have you dealt with the customer service of the company? How would you rate it on a scale of 1 to 10? 10 Mike always answers the phone and answers my questions.

11. Overall satisfaction (10 totaly satisfied, 1 hate it wish I never bought this converter) 10 I am glad i went with my gut and got an aggresive yank.

Old 05-10-2003 | 02:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

1. YTP 4200
2. Yank Sportsman
3. 3.73
4. 2.6
5. Call it 4 - 7 depending upon my mood. A quite exhausts helps a lot. sometimes is annoying, but other times I love it, especially for WOT bursts on the freeway. Wife drives the car and has never said anything; looseness is just your perception and expectations.
6. It was my 4th converter since stock; I've lost track of the gain.
7. Low 1.6s
8. Yes. I have lock-up set to disengage at a lower TPS then stock. I have made a bunch of other shift point &amp; lock-up changes to improve overall drivability of an A4.
9. Nothing major. occasional shudder at low speed &amp; high TPS. I solved the issue as described in Q8.
10. Mike has allways been great to me.
11. Overall a 9. Occasionally I consider stepping back to a SY 3500 or SS3800. Then I go to the track and I'm glad I have the 4200.
Old 05-10-2003 | 10:05 PM
TECH Regular

1. Which Converter do you have? <font color="red">Yank 4500 <!--color--></font>

2. What tranny? <font color="red"> 4L60E <!--color--></font>

3. Street Manners on a scale of 1 to 10(10 being stock converter, 1 being completely not streetable) <font color="red"> Not very streetable but I'm used to it now<!--color--></font>

4. Track time improvements (ie .5 in the 1/4 .3 in the 1/8) <font color="red">.5 improvement but with slicks I improved around 1 sec. <!--color--></font>

5. Avg 60ft and what tires? <font color="red"> I cut 1.6x pretty consistently. Best is 1.60 (spinning) I have yet to find a track that will hold this converter with 3.73 gears. I will definitely be in the 1.5x range once I can hook up. <!--color--></font>

6. Do you have any custom tuning related to the converter? <font color="red">Yes, Ed Wright removed my misfires. This converter acts weird when I get misfires. <!--color--></font>

7. Any major problems? <font color="red"> No major problems IMO but I do get some shudder sometimes. But overall, I'm really happy with this converter. <!--color--></font>

8. Have you dealt with the customer service of the company? How would you rate it on a scale of 1 to 10? <font color="red"> 5 Mike is a hard person to get a hold of.<!--color--></font>

9. Overall satisfaction (10 totaly satisfied, 1 hate it wish I never bought this converter) <font color="red"> Definitely a 9. <!--color--></font>

This is my second converter and I'm really happy with it. But if I ever do it again I'll probably go with TCI because its a lot cheaper.
Old 05-10-2003 | 10:06 PM
TECH Resident

The Initial site is up!! I will continue to update, but Just wanted to ley you all know it is up!

http://www.jrlawns.com/converter/default.htm
Old 05-10-2003 | 11:23 PM
TECH Resident

Hey Jammin. I was ur first visitor. What do you think of the TCI/TCS torque converters? Which one do you think is better? Thanks.
Old 05-11-2003 | 02:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Hey Jammin. I was ur first visitor. What do you think of the TCI/TCS torque converters? Which one do you think is better? Thanks.
I believe he is basing all his info on the responses he gets from these threads...so if no one has info on those two he probably wont have much about it on his site. In my own opinon I would go with TCS over TCI.
Old 05-11-2003 | 03:59 PM
TECH Resident

I believe he is basing all his info on the responses he gets from these threads...so if no one has info on those two he probably wont have much about it on his site. In my own opinon I would go with TCS over TCI.
Exactly, I am adding more and more info everyday.. Just browse the site!! I have heard good thins about TCI lately