Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A4 to TH400 swap, do I need to buy a new dipstick tube

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 05:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default A4 to TH400 swap, do I need to buy a new dipstick tube

I searched and really couldn't find a straight answer on this. I'm going from a A4 to the TH400. Is there a reason why I can reuse my stock dipstick tube with the TH400?

Man the TH400 FAQ really needs to be cleaned up with some current info and part numbers.

Thanks for any help you can throw my way.
J
Old 06-24-2007, 07:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes i think you need a new one to match the 400
i know you definatly need one for a t56 to th400 but who didnt know that
Old 06-24-2007, 07:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got mine from madman.
Old 06-24-2007, 08:37 PM
On The Tree

You definately will have to have a different stick and tube ! There are aftermarket manufacturers such as Tech Pack and Lokar . Check withyour local parts supplier or you can order one from a sponsor on LS1 Tech
Old 06-24-2007, 10:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Cool, thats all I needed to know before I ordered the Madman piece.
And yes always support our sponsors here on Tech.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got the Lokar one... it's really nice and is going to match the rest of the steel braid under the hood... Decided to stop breaking trannies Jer?? What kind of converter are you going with?? Goodluck buddy
Old 06-24-2007, 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

And Yes I definitely concur in that someone should clean the FAQ up because it will take you all day to get anything from it... There is also information that's not in there but that is in other threads... Hey, I got a great idea...If i condense it that should earn me a mod title right?? hahaha...
Old 06-25-2007, 10:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

You should see what broke on his tranny! Suprised he hasnt posted a pic of his carnage. Sheared the keyways that lock the converter onto the mainshaft right off! Never seen that happen before.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

What!!?? How in the heck did he do that?? Did something bind up or something?? I love breaking stuff because there's always good stories to tell... Post up some pics Jeremy...
Old 06-25-2007, 02:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i twisted my output shaft on my T 56 thats why i am turbo 400 now,i have a lokar dipstick looks nice but a pain to fill up with trans fluid.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

From what I understand, he went for a little test drive after receiving his hot parts back from FX coatings. Took off (hard) from a stop, the car went to shift into second and the test ride was over.

I think thats pretty much what happend, but Im sure he'll fill everyone in.

E
Old 06-25-2007, 07:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yep, from what I understand it happens when the converter isn't seating all the back to engage the front pump.....funny thing is the car has been running with this tranny for over a year before it took out the pump. Usually you hear about guys taking the pump out within minutes of start up if the converter isn't seated all the way back

I beat the living **** out of it too, trying to find out where my boost leak was.

**** if anyone cleans up the TH400 FAQ they should be given MOD status....i'm still lost on the specifics of this cluster **** they call a swap.

Do I need a new flexplate or not? Why would I need to get a TCI flexplate or Hughes flexplate if my converter is being reworked by the tranny guy to work on the TH400?

The tranny guy says he can reuse my PI Vigilante Torque Converter by modifying it to work....how will he accomplish this? What is different and what needs to be done to convert an LS1 torque converter to a TH400 converter?????? I like to understand what is going on, but when I asked the tranny guy he said "he'd take care of me."

I just want to have all the right parts sitting here when the tranny is ready to go in

Can I reuse my stock tranny A4 K member or should I go dig a M6 one up from the junkyard and use a spacer? Sorry I'm not going to pay anywhere near BMR's or Yanks price for a conversion crossmember.

For the shifter, yeah I need a RMVB TH350,TH400 shifter...>BUT< Do I need the shifter cable to be front or rear exit????

Sorry I did get pics, but you can't see the broke pieces....and that was with me flat on the ground with my POS digital camera...it kept focusing on the wrong parts

The broke tranny went to the tranny guy today. He gave me $150 credit for both of my 4l60e's for one of his built TH400 RMVB with a transbrake, plus a lil bit of cash, 600 bucks. Not a bad deal. 300 credit for the 60e's and he is doing the converter too, also restalling it to 3000-3200 and tightening it up.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by frcefed98
Yep, from what I understand it happens when the converter isn't seating all the back to engage the front pump.....funny thing is the car has been running with this tranny for over a year before it took out the pump. Usually you hear about guys taking the pump out within minutes of start up if the converter isn't seated all the way back

I beat the living **** out of it too, trying to find out where my boost leak was.

**** if anyone cleans up the TH400 FAQ they should be given MOD status....i'm still lost on the specifics of this cluster **** they call a swap.

Do I need a new flexplate or not? Why would I need to get a TCI flexplate or Hughes flexplate if my converter is being reworked by the tranny guy to work on the TH400?

The tranny guy says he can reuse my PI Vigilante Torque Converter by modifying it to work....how will he accomplish this? What is different and what needs to be done to convert an LS1 torque converter to a TH400 converter?????? I like to understand what is going on, but when I asked the tranny guy he said "he'd take care of me."

I just want to have all the right parts sitting here when the tranny is ready to go in

Can I reuse my stock tranny A4 K member or should I go dig a M6 one up from the junkyard and use a spacer? Sorry I'm not going to pay anywhere near BMR's or Yanks price for a conversion crossmember.

For the shifter, yeah I need a RMVB TH350,TH400 shifter...>BUT< Do I need the shifter cable to be front or rear exit????

Sorry I did get pics, but you can't see the broke pieces....and that was with me flat on the ground with my POS digital camera...it kept focusing on the wrong parts

The broke tranny went to the tranny guy today. He gave me $150 credit for both of my 4l60e's for one of his built TH400 RMVB with a transbrake, plus a lil bit of cash, 600 bucks. Not a bad deal. 300 credit for the 60e's and he is doing the converter too, also restalling it to 3000-3200 and tightening it up.
I'll try to answer as many of your questions as I can

Question #1. Do you NEED another flexplate.
Answer: No you don't BUT it's highly advised to get one. I got a Meziere because I don't like the idea of a ring gear coming through the floor. At any rate you WILL need a different converter unless they somehow extend the snout to fit to your flexplate... The question I have is isn't the input shaft different from the 4L60E?? Therefore logic would say that you would need a converter regardless.

Question #2. Do you need a different trans crossmember.
Answer: yes you do, you hit the nail on the head when you said something about getting an M6 crossmember and putting a spacer on it. You also stated your other option.

Question #3. Do you need a front or rear exiting shifter cable
Answer: I have the B&M Prostick and it is front exiting for the TH400... I'm pretty sure any other shifter is going to be that way. Also if you get a RMVB make sure to get the different gate for sure for a B&M. I think that Hurst may be different....

Goodluck Jeremy and I'll get to work on that FAQ...
Old 06-25-2007, 08:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You can have your exsisting converter rebuilt to work on a TH400. They will pull out the lockup clutch and change the hub height.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by smoknta
You can have your exsisting converter rebuilt to work on a TH400. They will pull out the lockup clutch and change the hub height.
the outputs from a 4l60 to a th400 are diffrent.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lethal93ta
the outputs from a 4l60 to a th400 are diffrent.
That's exactly what I was saying.... I don't know Jeremy... I would call a converter company and talk to them about this... I recommend neal chance (the best in my opinion), yank, ati, or someone that is reputable... It's better to ask the question as many times as needed to get the right answer than to trust someone and be screwed over...
Old 06-25-2007, 08:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just measured my TH400 and 4l60 output, the 4l60 is 1.745 OD and it looks like 30 spline, my th400 converter is 1.885 and 27 spline.

Old 06-25-2007, 11:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Its just a matter of changing the inner hub. Not that difficult for a converter company.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well then He is the go to guy for converters, TH350, TH400, and PG's around here. All the top racers here in albuquerque from 9 sec N2O cars to 8 sec turbo stangs use this guy. I feel comfortable with him and his ability to build awesome stuff.

BUT this converter issue has me. I guess I'll bug him some more tomorrow to see how he over comes the big differences between the two converters. PI will even make your LS1 converter work with a TH400 if you send it in to them. I'm thinking he'll put a TH400 cover onto the PI converter....if thats possible.

turb, Thanks for the answers. I'll order up my Hurst Quarterstick
I don't know if they'll make you a mod for cleaning up the FAQ, but i'm sure more guys would do this swap if the info was more up to date.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was just joking about the mod but I'll seriously try to get cracking on it because if I don't take it upon myself to do it then it seems like no one will... It's about two or three years old now... I think it's time to actually make it a FAQ like the FI section has... Goodluck man and if you need anything else just remember that's what we're here for... I got to go work on my own car now... It's a never ending process

Quick Reply: A4 to TH400 swap, do I need to buy a new dipstick tube