Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guy's with FLT or built 4L60-E, Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 05:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Guy's with FLT or built 4L60-E, Thoughts?

Ok tranny guru's help a brother out please. What are your thoughts of running this tranny and/or how do you like it? My goals are within stock internals, 450-500rwhp. Only to exceed that limit if engine go's, ok then when engine go's, lol. Going to put low boost on it! Any help is much appreciated, thanks
Old 07-14-2007, 05:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mine's a 4L65E (level5). When I bought mine, I bought it because a poll here said was the best 'hands-down'. I had it in two weeks and something broke internally and left me on the side of the Interstate, but, I guess that can happen with any transmission. After LESS THAN A YEAR, I was told it had to be freighted back to Indiana for a 'fresh-up' for $250.00, however, it ended up being substantially more. It started flashing on 2nd-3rd gear shifts. I was told the clutch packs were going out. I wouldn't buy one based on the experiences I've had with mine also based on several folks comments here lately.

It's running great right now, but, I should not have had those kind of problems with a race-built tranny which has never even been to the track.

Just noticed Performabuilt is now a Sponsor here ... hearing good things about their tranny's. Rock-on is supposed to be good, as well.

Last edited by JEB99TA; 07-14-2007 at 05:50 AM. Reason: Notice a spoonsor here
Old 07-14-2007, 07:05 AM
TECH Addict

Ya that was what I originally thought of going with was a performabuilt, I can remember hearing good things about them. Unsure of the 60e thing though? Or have you heard their version of it is good? Thanks
Old 07-14-2007, 10:28 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jebb sorry to hear about the issues that you have had in the past. I believe that your original trans was built before I had been apart of FLT and I believe that your original unit was built at FLP. As you said things happen and is working great right now. There have been some product changes from the original FLP transmission formula. Trust me when I tell you that I have been making some changes in the last couple years and I believe that they have been for the better. I am also aware that you had an install issue with the trans that I freshened up for you. I'm not going to bash the shop that did the install because I know they do excellent work and well we are all human. As for the cost of getting it freshened up, it is $250 LABOR plus parts. I feel that this a very fair price and sure beats paying the full price over again. In most cases it is a great option and there are plenty that go this route. I'm glad that it is working great for you now.

Websy21 you will hear good and bad about any shop that has been in the business. This is the Internet. One thing to consider is how a company handles issues with customers when there is a problem. Also keep in mind how long that they have been around and operating in this market. Chuck Johnson(owner of FLT) has been a member/sponsor on this forum almost from day one that it was created. That is a long time especially when sponsors come and go. There had been issues with another trans vendor that was mentioned above that is no longer here and IMO did many members wrong. I personally have been inside a few of his units that had issues. These things happen but he was unreachable and the members decided to look us up and have us straighten them out for them. The bad thing that I saw is that what was advertised was not in the units. That is pretty shady and I truly have to believe that there were serious issues going on there for me to see what I saw. It happens when owners go through hard times and the strong survive. Unfortunately the members of the site suffer when an owner decides to close up shop or not honor what he originally sold the customer. Keep that in mind.

When looking to purchase a unit make sure that you shop around and compare what you are getting for your money. AS for our product I would put up against just about anyone else's out there. For the amount of dollars that are put into each and every unit that we build, most others are budget builds IMO. We are definitely not the cheapest but the quality is what my main focus is. Good luck with your decision and there is another sponsor that recently has come aboard. His name is Gilbert "Ratchthed" (ACE performance transmissions) and I know that he has very similar views on what quality is all about. Take care and if you have any questions feel free to contact myself or Chuck. Thank you for your time. Vince
Old 07-14-2007, 01:50 PM
TECH Addict

Vince, it's my understanding Chuck Johnson built this transmission at FLP and the freshup occured by Chuck Johnson at FLT. Few have been at this as long as Chuck has been at it. There's no doubt he's one of the best builders, but, why would his work be any better at FLT than it was at FLP? Isn't he the owner of FLT and doesn't he still build for FLP, as well. Or has that changed, recently? Is FLT using better parts now? Is FLT building better transmissions? I don't think Chuck Johnson would knowingly build for FLP if FLT was furnishing him better parts and FLP was not providing him with the best parts and materials. What exactly are the changes you've made in the past 12 months that make your transmissions so much better now, as you are stating?

What does this mean, I guess is what I am asking:

There have been some product changes from the original FLP transmission formula.
I have only had the transmission back about 2 months after the freshup, so, I cringe everytime I accelerate hard ... just hoping and praying it doesn't break again. As I said, it's performing absolutely great now. Just give me about another 12 months and see if it is still alive and well. If so, I'll report back here and revivie this thread to praise you folks for the great work.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:58 PM
TECH Addict

Default Flt

A lot of the FLT transmissions have broken here in Florida, lately. PM Caveman. He has a 8 second Firebird, a supercharged Formula Firebird, and an 11 second GTO he races. He practically lives at the dragstrip and is a bigttime track junkie. He and several others here have told me he's seen constant breakages coming from this company's product, recently. Good luck on your decision. I really don't know the best company is to purchase your transmission from. I can only tell you my experience and what others are experiencing here locally.
Old 07-14-2007, 02:26 PM
TECH Addict

Ya I have no idea at all which way I will go? Thanks for your input though!
Old 07-14-2007, 03:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just ordered a Level 1 4L60E from Performabuilt with a 3K stall this week...I have heard a lot of good things about them...Hopefully i'll have it in my car within the next 2 or 3 weeks. I will let you know how i like it when i get it in the car if you want..i know i wont be able to give you any long term opinions..but ill let you know my initial impression is.
Old 07-14-2007, 04:55 PM
10 Second Club

i was in this same position this last spring when i purchased my tranny.. and I went with a performabuilt level 3 with their 3k stall, and yes.... all tranny shops have their problems, but it DEFINATELY comes down to who takes care of their customers....

I had received 2 bad units, 1 that didnt shift when installed, and 1 that was damaged in shipping, but frank at performabuilt took care of it each time. Now there were times i was very VERY unhappy with the company, but after putting in my 3rd trans from them everything has worked ok, so far. I have only driven the car for a total of 5-6 hours, the majority of the driving was to break it in. but the few WOT runs i did, the trans shifted great, even with the converter, didnt feel too loose or anything. i still have yet to put some more test runs on it as the car has been down for a few weeks while i find an oil leak from my turbo but that is something you can go off of.

i am going to submit a full review of the company when i can drive this beast some more....
Old 07-14-2007, 05:06 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks guys that does help, only if there was someone out there with some long term results??????
Old 07-14-2007, 05:20 PM
Staging Lane

I have an FLT Level 4 behind my nitrous 402 and it has taken a 200 shot all day long without a hicup. Had it for about 20000 miles. FLT does good work and I will definately use them again.
Old 07-14-2007, 05:52 PM
8 Second Club

I have had excellent luck with Chuck at FLT. I contacted him 8 months ago for a Kit for my transmission. He sold me all the parts to make mine the equivilent of his Stage 4 units. I did the install and assembly myself. Chuck was kind enough to help me out with some of the clearances and items like that.

The trans is in my s-10 at 3800lbs raceweight and has made over 100 passes and 5000 hwy miles without a single problem. The converter is a Yank SS3600 The engine is making 430RWHP and 410FTLBS N/A and is subjected to a bit of nitrous. Usually jetted to 150HP

I have had a great experiance with FLT Chuck was very good to deal with. I will deffinatly buy from them again.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:04 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

There have been some product changes from the original FLP transmission formula.

Originally Posted by JEB99TA
What does this mean, I guess is what I am asking

It means exactly what I said. We have made changes to correct failures that we had seen. Not to belittle you but you are not a transmission builder so you probably would not understand. Also the changes that Chuck and I have made are privileged information that is only for the employees of FLT. I am not in any way shape or form going to give out my years of research so that people can just copy it or criticise it. Sorry. Personally I feel you are posting to only stir up bad press. You are a grown man and a retired service man. Please act like one. As far as your buddies in Florida that seem to be having issues tell them to give me a call or shoot me a PM. I will help them out the same as I would for any customer that has one of my units. I did a little search on the caveman and it appears that when he broke his trans the rear end had let go. Here is his quote "I had broken the carrier in my Silver Formy at Lakeland a couple months back and when it did that it also broke the forward sprag in the tranny, so dont wait too long or you may have more then 1 problem. I used another Auburn Pro Posi , got over 250 runs from the last one." I wonder if this was the trans you are talking about. Never the less things happen and thats racing. I do freshen ups for units that I did not even build at this company. I have a good following of clients and things happen. Keep in mind that Chuck and I were direct competitors but have been friends for many years. Things change and people change. So have our products! I am done with this conversation with you and good luck with your car. I'm glad your trans is working great. I guess I did my job Vince

Last edited by FLT; 07-14-2007 at 08:37 PM.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:14 PM
TECH Addict

Good stuff keep it coming if theres more out there? Thanks!
Old 07-14-2007, 06:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a level 4 4L60E from FLP. 4K miles and no problems. Good shifts, no missed shifts, etc..Pretty consistent. I'm happy.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:55 PM
10 Second Club

My FLT Stage IV has been great since installed over a year ago. 5K plus miles and several track runs with no problems. I drive it to and from the track (115 miles one way).
Old 07-14-2007, 10:27 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks guys, decisions, decisions?????
Old 07-14-2007, 10:43 PM
12 Second Club

gilbert aceracingtransmission.awesome customer service.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:54 PM
12 Second Club

I wouldnt be scared of running the "dreaded" 4L60E, i had mine built by a local tranny shop....mine 8 months later and crazy abuse along with daily driving is still running damn strong...my buddies (built at the same place) in his 99 Z with a torquer 2 cam 3600 stall and 100 shot, spraying thru the shift is running damn strong to, also daily driven...The shop owner has a WS6 with a 383 with a STS and spray running one of his own 4l60E's.....built right they can hang with the best of them.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:50 PM
TECH Addict

Right on, I know that I absolutely don't want to go with a 400 and the 80-e is alot more work and money plus I know that I probably won't go over the 500rwhp mark. Not for a really long time anyways. I have just heard of alot of people complaining about the 60-e, but I guess it all depends on the application. I know I will obviously go with the 60-e but from where I guess I will have to keep my ears wide open for

Quick Reply: Guy's with FLT or built 4L60-E, Thoughts?