Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is my trans toast?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 06:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is my trans toast?

I got my 4l60e Extremly hot and now it makes a funny noise and doesnt shift correctly... . Im guessing something blocked the cooler lines and it got really really hot over 300 degrees. didnt notice that it was hot b/c tranny temp gauge is hooked in cooler line. was running normal temp according to gauge... about 180*. torque converter wouldnt go into lockup before this...
Old 07-31-2007, 06:13 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is the fluid condition?

Can you describe the noise?

Hate to hear it, coolers can become clogged with clutch material and the indicated temp will not rise. That is the reason I recommend installing temp sensors in the pan. Others run them in the pressure port.

g
Old 07-31-2007, 06:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sounds like it may be toast
Old 07-31-2007, 06:22 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ratchthed
What is the fluid condition?

Can you describe the noise?

Hate to hear it, coolers can become clogged with clutch material and the indicated temp will not rise. That is the reason I recommend installing temp sensors in the pan. Others run them in the pressure port.

g

Its only got 11k miles on rebuild, the noise sounds kinda like a squeeky belt, its comming from the front of the trans by the converter, the fluid doesent smell burnt or look dark, when i pulled off the cooler like it came out looking lie red metallic paint. . It happened when i was driving down the highway, wouldnt hold overdrive trans was shifting down to drive by its self with shifter in d, then it went into 2nd and wouldnt shift back up, then just quit all together. no gears at all no reverse no forward gears. let it cool for about 2 hours, now it goes into reverse and drive, havnt tryed to drive it up the street tho just up my diveway and back...
Old 07-31-2007, 06:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

may have damaged the pump getting it that hot
Old 07-31-2007, 06:37 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Predator T/A
may have damaged the pump getting it that hot

That is what i was guessing i think i might go now... 1500 for a transmission for it to last 7 months
Old 07-31-2007, 06:39 PM
FormerVendor

Well, the noise is not that important I am afraid... could be the pump, input shaft to stator or could be the converter.

Unfortunatley, either way the unit must come out. If indeed it ran over 300* it has damaged the rubber seals at the very least. I would bet you had a converter fail knowing that it did this at constant highway speeds. It could have had a pump spring break and cause a low pressure condition, but none of that really matters right now.

It must be dissasembled for inspection and the converter be refurbished if possible.

Dang the bad luck, call me if you have any questions. I will be here at the shop for another hour or so.

g
Old 07-31-2007, 06:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you just had it built you may want to see if it is under warranty i usually give a year on all mine
Old 07-31-2007, 06:45 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ratchthed
Well, the noise is not that important I am afraid... could be the pump, input shaft to stator or could be the converter.

Unfortunatley, either way the unit must come out. If indeed it ran over 300* it has damaged the rubber seals at the very least. I would bet you had a converter fail knowing that it did this at constant highway speeds. It could have had a pump spring break and cause a low pressure condition, but none of that really matters right now.

It must be dissasembled for inspection and the converter be refurbished if possible.

Dang the bad luck, call me if you have any questions. I will be here at the shop for another hour or so.

g
Thanks for your help, i appriciate it greatly, sounds like i will be pulling it out this weekend. oh yea btw i got the converter used off this site, mabe it had some $H!T in it. what does it cost to have the converter cleaned and checked out????
Old 07-31-2007, 06:53 PM
FormerVendor

Well the cost of the converter inspection is relative to the repairs needed. We can usually get it done for less than $250.00. That's on the high end, worse case needing a stator, clutch and bearings. SOmetimes they cannot be repaired though. I always watch them cut my racing converters open because I want to know what they look like. It's a personal thing, I want to know what they look like inside.

Good Luck with it. I'll be around if you need me, all you gotta do is call.

g
Old 07-31-2007, 06:53 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

My guess would be the converter clutch failed and clogged the lube circuit and filter , Once the car sat some fliud drained back though the filter and semi cleaned it out , Thats why it will move now but as mentioned you are going to need to go through the trans or replace it and at least have the converter cut cleaned checked and clutch replaced, Ussually a good idea to send to whomever made it for that. Ussually they will give you a good deal.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 07-31-2007, 06:58 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks for the information guys, the trans had a 1yr warenty 12k miles, but i think it got voided when i stalled it, even tho its only got 3-400 miles on the stall.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i would give them a call maybe they will help you if you are honest they may at least look at it and decide if it was thier fault or the converters fault just be nice and honest i have ate alot of stuff just for customer service. I would rather give you something and reap the benefits of you telling averyone how good i am.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:06 PM
11 Second Club

Im think i am just going to m6 swap the car or part it out. lol f'it.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

like i said talk to your builder trust me i am one myself
Old 08-01-2007, 04:26 PM
11 Second Club

**UPDATE** ok, so i go and start the car for ***** and giggles today, it isnt making any trans noise, but the fulid is metallic, should i try to change the fluid and check out the magnet in the pan???? im at a loss here.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:04 PM
11 Second Club

Just drove it around the block, transmission shifted normal... i am going to try to change the fluid and filter, 3-4 gears dont seem to be grabbing properly (mabe be because of filter being clogged with ****), but 1-2 gears are normal,
Old 08-01-2007, 05:15 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

That may buy you a little time but I still go with my converter failure thought . And the metal just confirms your gonna need another trans.
Originally Posted by 99NMB
Just drove it around the block, transmission shifted normal... i am going to try to change the fluid and filter, 3-4 gears dont seem to be grabbing properly (mabe be because of filter being clogged with ****), but 1-2 gears are normal,

Call 888-744-6542

Old 08-01-2007, 05:17 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by performabuilt
That may buy you a little time but I still go with my converter failure thought . And the metal just confirms your gonna need another trans.
Im going to have it flushed, and through the stock verter back in it. im so :sad: right now... i think the metal in the fluid is most likely the lockup clutches.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:18 PM
11 Second Club