TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Because they cant drive...

Or are making alot of power and going threw clutchs so it becomes cheaper
Old 08-10-2007, 11:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 02sleeperz28
An auto with the right stall/tires is wicked off the line and like the others have said consistent. Good luck

Honestly auto is the way to go for a drag car for most people, im a big fan of M6s so ill never change..
Old 08-10-2007, 11:54 PM
TECH Addict

Not sure on the can't drive statement, maybe for some???????? A4 all the way for racing but M6 way more fun for driving. Unless alot of bumper to bumper traffic. I also agree with when you get to a certain power level it becomes harder to drive a M6 with the added grief/expense of clutches. An A4 with a nice stall is quite fun to drive too though
Old 08-11-2007, 01:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

im lookin into a 4l80e swap cause id be way faster at the track.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Riding in automatic cars with big stalls is definately fun. My friend had a heads/cam WS6 with a 3800 stall and that thing left like a beast...but...rowing the gears is more fun for me. I wish that my Camaro was a 6 speed. I converted my 67 to a muncie four speed from a turbo 350 and it felt like the car picked up 50 hp. Its much more responsive and doesn't feel sluggish anymore.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:42 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the problem with alot of auto's, esp. the 3 speed auto's, are they feel sluggish unless it has a very nice shift kit in it. or a manual valve body. but, just because it feels faster, doesnt mean by any means it is faster. winding out gears before shifting is where that faster feeling comes in.
my 95 was a t56 when I first got it. and best I could do with it t56 after running a few times in the heat was a 14.6x. it felt plenty fast. but def. wasnt. after swapping in the 700r4 and a mild 3000 stall, full size converter, it went 14.20 with NO other changes. felt alot faster with the stick. but wasnt.
whats the first gear ratio of that muncie? bet its higher then the th350 first gear was. I mean higher numerically. anyways I do agree that for a driver/fun car, a stick is more fun. but if you want to go fast at the track, then the stalled auto comes in and kills. love that 67 btw.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:51 PM
Launching!

I love my stock auto I haven't broke it yet!!!!! Here comes the 150 shot!
Old 08-13-2007, 11:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wish people would be more clear when they say "A4 for racing"...go try to road race with an A4 car...they won't let you...least not everywhere I race...they let you autocross...but unless you can get it to stay in 2nd (not go back to 1st ever) you'll be pretty slow when it's hunting up and down between 1 and 2 instead of just pushing you out of the corner in 2. Drag racing is fun, and it's probably the type of racing I do most often, and an auto will work best there...but I enjoy autocrossing and roadracing as well...and I can balance the chassis a LOT better in and out of corners with a T56 than I can with any automatic.

If I wanted to seriously drag race it to actually win stuff (like money or something I guess) then yeah, I'd want an A4...but since my trips to the dragstrip are 99% just for the fun of going, the M6 car is for me. I'd like to think I CAN indeed drive a stick car very very well...and I wouldn't ever say I can launch it as hard as a car with an A4 (with a good converter) and an otherwise identical car..it's all personal preference...I even spent an hoursitting in stop and go traffic today with the M6...I didn't mind it 1 bit.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:11 AM
11 Second Club

all good points, but you can get back atleast a portion of that with a good shift kit that will allow full manual operation. that would be called a manual/automatic shift kit. basicaly, it'll let you hold, or select any gear to any speed. however you wont be able to doubleclutch or anything like that, so still not as good as a stick for that sort of thing.
but yes, Id say this would be a drag race ony thing. for me, I just cant afford road racing. and since I never road race, I want the best times at the track.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:47 AM
10 Second Club

If you're gonna road race, you surely wouldn't pick a heavy pig f-body anway.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:58 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Irocss85
all good points, but you can get back atleast a portion of that with a good shift kit that will allow full manual operation. that would be called a manual/automatic shift kit. basicaly, it'll let you hold, or select any gear to any speed. however you wont be able to doubleclutch or anything like that, so still not as good as a stick for that sort of thing.
but yes, Id say this would be a drag race ony thing. for me, I just cant afford road racing. and since I never road race, I want the best times at the track.
Or install an aftermarket trans controller with manual mode. You get full automatic when you wanna turn your brain off, and full manual mode at the flip of a switch. Manual mode on the TCI or PCS controllers will hold a gear until you input a gear change. The TCI controller has the added benefit of resetting to 1st gear only when you come to a full stop. Other than that, it is full manual--right up to redline. So there is no chance of damaging the trans by accidentally leaving from a dead stop in high gear. Kinda makes an old school manual valve body look silly.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:27 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by streetfytr68
Or install an aftermarket trans controller with manual mode. You get full automatic when you wanna turn your brain off, and full manual mode at the flip of a switch. Manual mode on the TCI or PCS controllers will hold a gear until you input a gear change. The TCI controller has the added benefit of resetting to 1st gear only when you come to a full stop. Other than that, it is full manual--right up to redline. So there is no chance of damaging the trans by accidentally leaving from a dead stop in high gear. Kinda makes an old school manual valve body look silly.

nice. wonder what one of those suckers cost?
Old 08-14-2007, 11:58 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Irocss85
nice. wonder what one of those suckers cost?
Computers start at $659.95 with harness. It's also the easiest to tune. Another controller, from Powertrain Control Solutions is $850. Very trick, powerful piece. A little more complicated to wire and tune, but feature rich.

As far as actuating the manual gear changes, you can do it on the cheap with a coupla trans-brake buttons and coil cords, or run my paddle shifter. A third option would be to source a manumatic floor shifter from the junkyard, re-wire it and integrate it. Any shifter with a +/- will do the trick.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:11 PM
Custm2500's #1 Fan

I've ran plenty of M6 cars with my cam/stall/spray 5.3L truck and they are usually looking at the tail lights unless they have some substantial mods. on the track its even worse with me on slicks... even at 4050lbs raceweight... and 325 cubes.
Old 08-18-2007, 02:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by streetfytr68
Computers start at $659.95 with harness. It's also the easiest to tune. Another controller, from Powertrain Control Solutions is $850. Very trick, powerful piece. A little more complicated to wire and tune, but feature rich.

As far as actuating the manual gear changes, you can do it on the cheap with a coupla trans-brake buttons and coil cords, or run my paddle shifter. A third option would be to source a manumatic floor shifter from the junkyard, re-wire it and integrate it. Any shifter with a +/- will do the trick.

where is this 659.95 kit at ??? please pm me the link if not a sponsor
Old 08-18-2007, 07:56 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by N4cer
If you're gonna road race, you surely wouldn't pick a heavy pig f-body anway.
tell that to these guys: http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/
Old 08-19-2007, 10:31 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by camarokid94
where is this 659.95 kit at ??? please pm me the link if not a sponsor
TCI is a sponsor for sure. Part number 377000. That's the mail order price at, like, Summit or Jegs. Price might be higher at your local speed shop.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:10 PM
On The Tree

For auto x I love the 6 speed. My SS and GTO are 6 speeds. I usually only auto x them. My formula is an auto and its the drag car. While I like the consistancy, I just don't trust the 4l60e. i bought one that is suppose to handle more than I have and its given me problems twice already that required me to pull it out to be opened. That alone can get old fast. I've thought about converting it to a 6 speed as well. I know a few people who race 6 speeds and are deadly competitors.