Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear exit cable shifters?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 01:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default rear exit cable shifters?

Can I run one of these in my fbody? I always hear that they are for dragsters. I want to buy the probandit shifter
Old 08-20-2007, 10:07 AM
10 Second Club

here is a pic of my tranny I think it had a rear exit cable shifter on it before
by looking at the linkage
Old 08-20-2007, 11:08 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What transmission are you running?

I have not installed a Pro Bandit in an F-Body so I cannot speak to the mods required. However, I did install one in the Top Sportsman we run out of our shop earlier this year. I'll try to get a few picks of it for you... totally different install but it can give you some ideas maybe.

With that shifter you will receive a cable that is designed to come in from the front of the transmission and out the back of the shifter of course, the housing is supposed to pass through the mid plate or somewhere in that neighborhood. I did not do that, I did not want a long *** cable that could potentially cause a problem down the road.

I obtained a shorter cable, from another project car we have in the works... and fabbed a bracket out of plate steel, scrap I had laying around. Ran the cable out the back of the shifter and through my bracket and then into the shift lever on the unit. It will take some thinking and a mock up or two, but I'm sure it'll work out for you. Our's works just fine, even with it operating backwards from the intended installation.

That is a fine shifter that is solid as a rock. We are very pleased with it's operation.

Good Luck... let me figure out how to post pics here and I'll get 'em up later in the day.

g
Old 08-20-2007, 11:30 AM
10 Second Club

Its a powerglide.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:34 PM
FormerVendor

If you can get it in there you will like it immensely. We like ours a bunch, wouldn't think of running anything else with our Glide!!!!!

Well the pics I took this evening are too dark and too large... I'll try tomorrow... if nothing else I'll e-mail them if you like.

I forgot to mention that if you use this shifter it is important to note that the cable housing does not like to be bent very tight. It will require a rather large loop. Because I have not installed one in an F-Body I can't speak to how it would need to be routed.

But, one important thing I forgot to mention earlier is if you route the cable similar to how I did it, you will need to remove the shift bracket on the shift shaft and rotate it 180* in order for it to operate properly. Ours is attached above the pan rail, I like it too because the car is so stinking low as it is... less hardware hanging low.

It's all about figuring it out for yourself.

g
Old 10-09-2007, 10:56 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any More new Info,

I have a universal Shifter arm on My PG, would rotating it 180 upward get it done?

Any tips on what i would have to do to make it come in from the rear of the trans i was thinking a 4-5 foot cable would work well.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:34 AM
FormerVendor

Yes as a matter of fact, rotating the shifter linkage bracket 180* at the tranny is the ticket, as I stated earlier... I fabbed a housing bracket out of some plate steel I had laying around. Then I threaded long bolts through the pan and used nuts and washers on top to secure it.

It is not hard, you just have to rethink the linkage operation... forget the instruction sheet that comes with the shifter. Once everything is in place yo will need to spend the time it takes to adjust it out... this will take some doing but stay with it and you get it!

g
Old 10-09-2007, 12:08 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Ratchthed

have you ever used the B&M rear Entry PG bracket Pn 70469?
Old 10-09-2007, 01:27 PM
FormerVendor

That is the shifter we run in our Nova and the one I referenced in this thread. B&M Pro Bandit.

It is a fine shifter... zero complaints from this camp!

g

Quick Reply: rear exit cable shifters?