Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transmission leak after converter install

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 12:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default transmission leak after converter install

Last monday I took my car to a transmission shop in town to get my converter put in. Yesterday i noticed a small area of transmission fluid on the ground where I had been parked all night and again this morning. Any ideas as to what this could be?...I'm gonna take it by the place tomorrow...just wondering what could cause this...and he should fix it for free right?
Old 10-14-2007, 01:09 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Wether he should fix it for free would depend on where its at. Sometimes things are just coincedental. But make sure you keep it full of fluid and most likely if it s small puddle its some minor issue. Good luck.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 10-14-2007, 07:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

There are quiet a few different area's it could leak from. Almost all of the spots it could leak from would be touched during the install. Without the car in the air to check and see roughly where it is coming from it is hard to say what it is. If you can get it in the air and tell where it is coming from it would be easier to tell if it would be covered. Did you have any of the seals replaced during the install? If you did not and it is the front or the rear seal it would not be covered unless the guy is really cool.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by THE CHOP SHOP
There are quiet a few different area's it could leak from. Almost all of the spots it could leak from would be touched during the install. Without the car in the air to check and see roughly where it is coming from it is hard to say what it is. If you can get it in the air and tell where it is coming from it would be easier to tell if it would be covered. Did you have any of the seals replaced during the install? If you did not and it is the front or the rear seal it would not be covered unless the guy is really cool.
its right next to the oil filter...no i didn't have the seals replaced..but if they were bad..shouldn't he have noticed it?...it wasn't leaking before
Old 10-15-2007, 05:50 AM
Staging Lane

Did you supply the convertor?
Probably.

Did you request seals to be replaced?
Not likely.

Don't start blaming a business if you did not do your part.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:48 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Some shops will go the extra mile but many will onlydo exactly what you tell them to and nothng more,Its kinda a double edged sword for them. I have seen this happen, If the go the extr mile nd replace sels etc and dont charge for it or charge very little since they allready priced the install and something goes wrong hey ae the bad guys and on the other hand if they dont and something goes wrong they are still the bad guys except they dont hear the "I didnt tell you to replace that" So whenever you take a car to the garage to have any work done always tell them that if theres anything else it needs o you think it needs gve me a call. That makes everyone more comfortable with the situation,
Originally Posted by aaron653
its right next to the oil filter...no i didn't have the seals replaced..but if they were bad..shouldn't he have noticed it?...it wasn't leaking before

Call 888-744-6542

Old 10-15-2007, 09:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Stuarta
Did you supply the convertor?
Probably.

Did you request seals to be replaced?
Not likely.

Don't start blaming a business if you did not do your part.
Dont blame the business that works on automatic transmissions all day everyday?...He put it all together and something wasn't right...so he called me and told me that he would have to charge me to drop the tranny again...I'm pretty sure he could have mentioned it during that phone call.

My part?...I dont know the first thing about transmission work....How would I know to replace the seals?
Old 10-15-2007, 09:50 AM
Banned

I would think it's common knowledge to replace the ($5-$10) seal that the converter goes in whether the customer asks for it or not.
When you take your car to a shop to get the engine oil changed do you have to tell them to change the filter too? no.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:05 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The little O-ring on the shaft snout also wants replaced or it
will possible weep, especially if the O-ring presently is old and
hardened up to the original converter. Turbine Shaft Seal is the
name. People forget about it, I've even told mechanics to do it
and given them the part only to get the bag back unopened.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i took it by there today...and he said that "it is definately leaking from the bell-housing"....and that "there could be a pin-hole in the converter" or "it could be around the pump seal"...and he said that I would have to get the converter pressure tested....does this sound right? oh and he won't fix it for free
Old 10-15-2007, 03:26 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is possible that the new converter has a pin hole.

It is possible that the tranny frt pump seal was compromised during the installation.

It is possible that they scored the pump bushing during the insatallation as well.

Unfortunately, the issue of whether the shop is responsible for leaks is strictly a judgement call in my opinion. In my shop, we would have made recommendations based on mileage and a thorough visual inspection once the unit came out during the swap. There really is no way for anyone here on the internet to tell you what they should or should not do in this case.

Good Luck.

g
Old 10-15-2007, 04:02 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Unfortunatley in these situatons its a complicated call. As mentioned above. In the future though and this is to anyone go head and ask them to change the front seal and what they will carge you for it that way if theres and issue there they will likley be more than willing to take care of it. There was a time when shops routineley just did repairs like that and added them to the bill as they saw fit but times are different and I have been in the situation where I have seen something that needed to be done , Did it, nothing major and had the customer give me a hard time over 50 dollars and say I shouldve called them first. Then on the other hand I have also done the try and call them and couldnt get ahold of them and let the car set then it wasnt ready on time and that became and issue. To bad its not like the old days when people used to just bring the car in and say fix it. Alot of my older customers were like that but my age and younger no way you have to detail everything before you do it. I guess I see both sides here, Generally though it appears the situation sucks overall and sorry you have had a problem.
Good luck with it.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 10-18-2007, 05:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

took it back to the place today...and just talked to him..he said that they replaced the front seal...seal around the pump and some kind of bushing.couldn't find a leak in the converter..and it is still leaking..he can't figure out where it's coming from
Old 10-18-2007, 05:20 PM
Banned

Could be the dipstick seal or even the pan gasket.
I had my dipstick seal cut and it would drip right underr the bellhousing.

You should ask if they removed the bellhousing.
I asked around for the bit to remove it when I did my converter swap and a few places said not to remove it, just to pull the pump out and sand around the sharp edge of the bellhousing to get the pump back in without tearing the seal. I bought the bit to remove it instead.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well $330 later the leak is fixed...and he has no idea what was leaking...just replaced a bunch of seals...so it turned out to be a $630 converter install
Old 10-19-2007, 05:41 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sometimes it is difficult to find leaks... so it only makes sense that all of the seals inside the bellhousing be replaced when hunting leaks.

My suspicion is the pump seal was compromised when the new converter was installed. It happens...

Glad you got it fixed! How's the new converter?

g
Old 10-19-2007, 08:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ratchthed
Sometimes it is difficult to find leaks... so it only makes sense that all of the seals inside the bellhousing be replaced when hunting leaks.

My suspicion is the pump seal was compromised when the new converter was installed. It happens...

Glad you got it fixed! How's the new converter?

g
its awesome...