Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A4 to TH400 install swap now my car won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 10:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A4 to TH400 install swap now my car won't start.

Well we followed all instructions to the "tee" went to fire it up and the car primes and then nothing. It won't even turn over, its like the starter isn't even hooked up.

We hooked up a neutral safety switch that was included with my hurst quarter stick. We used the purple/white stripe and dark green wires wired to it.

We hooked the orange/black stripe and black wires together for the trunk button to work.

Didn't have a back up light switch handy so the light green and brown wires are still in the factory 6pk connector.

Turned the key, fuel pumps cycle guages light up radio turns on etc...but the key fails to crank the starter over.

We removed the neutral safety switch and twisted the purple/white stripe and dark green wires together to bypass it and still nothing.

The car was a A4 before this mess LOL.

Any ideas? We didn't touch any wiring under the car other than disconnecting the tranny harness and speed sensor harness from the 4l60e and tied em up and out of the way.

this sucks:
Old 10-21-2007, 11:14 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At the neutral safety switch wiring, are you getting a 12v signal when you try to crank it over?

I'll be around all day so stay tuned.... I think I can getcha going today.

g
Old 10-21-2007, 01:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

LOL just saw this, yep still messing with it. I have a voltage tester coming right now so i'll let you know shortly. Thanks for taking the time to help me out.

The car has been down for 3 months
Old 10-21-2007, 01:56 PM
FormerVendor

WHAT... 3 friggin months???

LOL j/k.

I'll be here watching the NASCAR race at Martinsville and my Cowboys in between getting updates on the 10.5 race at HRP nursing my favorite adult beverage! Takin' it easy today.

g
Old 10-21-2007, 03:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well that took longer than I thought it would. We are getting no voltage to the factory NSS wires. Purple/white and dark green wires to verify.

The back up light wires are getting voltage, as are the trunk wires.

Seems the whole harness is getting voltage except those two wires
Old 10-21-2007, 04:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hooked up my HPT and it showed it was throwing a security code, something having to do with fuel....didn't have a pen handy to write it down and I accidently cleared it.

We checked all wires in the vicinity of the NSS wires and they all receive voltage

FOR SALE TH400 WITH FIREBIRD ATTACHED TO IT.

Last edited by frcefed98; 10-21-2007 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Fuse block did have voltage
Old 10-21-2007, 05:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

??
Old 10-21-2007, 05:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ya i had the same problem, but it ended up being the NSS. After i hooked it back up the car started.

I ended up putting the lil white piece out of the stock shifter in the car to check it. Its the piece with the gear slider inside it. Im not really for sure how to explain it but thats what my problem was.

Once i moved it to where the car thought it was in neutral or park she cranked right up.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

all i did was hook that nss back up and set it inside the console. works like a champ for me!!

just dont accidentally leave in gear.........bad things will happen!!!!
Old 10-21-2007, 08:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Cool thanks guys thats the black barrel shaped dodad located on the right hand side of the stock shifter right? Has a white "arm" sticking out if it? Or better yet what does the stock NSS look like...just want to cover my bases

This is the code it threw:
P1626 Theft deterrent system fuel enable circuit

Why doesn't the hurst NSS work with the purple/white stripe and dark green wires ran to it or with em twisted together like everyone says to do?

Man I thought this would be easy LOL.

We did get it to start up by doing the ol screw driver across the starter solenoid, fired right up. It still won't start by the key though.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4thgenz
all i did was hook that nss back up and set it inside the console. works like a champ for me!!

just dont accidentally leave in gear.........bad things will happen!!!!
Is this the solution to J's problem? Any more insight or help would be great!

Thanks,

E
Old 10-22-2007, 01:28 PM
FormerVendor

Figures,,,, tell a guy I'm gonna be online all day and I'm not. Sorry dude, my laptop went into bye bye mode yesterday afternoon.

I would say that there is a voltage supply problem to the igniion switch if neither side of your NSS harness shows voltage when you rotate the ignition to the crank position. i would check for a bad maxi fuse or a bad fuseable link.

g
Old 10-22-2007, 02:04 PM
TECH Veteran

THis is the piece that i am talking about that i had to use for mine to start.

Old 10-22-2007, 05:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Just got home, I'll go try it out.

If that doesn't work, where to find the fusible link that associated with these wires, and same goes for the fuse.....nothing more a colorblind man hates is electrical gremlins
Old 10-22-2007, 07:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Gilbert, you were right It was in the under hood fuse block, the stupid 15 amp mini maxi fuse was toast. Replaced it and the car fired right up

Now i'll take a rest for today, i'm sick as a dog
Old 10-22-2007, 07:55 PM
FormerVendor

Hey thanks for the feedback! It's pretty cool when you can help someone out long distance like we do here on the boards!!!!!! I know that was a big thorn in your rear end, glad to see you have your hot rod up and running again.

That made my day hearing back from you. (stinkin' rainy *** mondays bite!!!!)

g
Old 10-23-2007, 08:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Not a problem

I was scared i'd have to dig into the the wiring harness, wiring owns me big time.

Just a few lines and wires to tie up and she'll be ready to hit the road.
J
Old 10-23-2007, 08:24 PM
FormerVendor

Ya know I used to be intimidated by wiring and electrical systems and circuitry myself. And I don't mind telling you that for a long time I had a big mental block on it. Working at new car dealerships on line as a Driveability Technician dealing with fuel injection systems day in and day out back in the early '80's was a trial by baptism for me though. I was young and didn't know any better! LOL. Since those days I have completely wired many cars... starting with zero wires on lots of them! I have a few tricks up my sleeve for race cars too I might add! My latest project is the car I wired for Xtreme Horsepower this year, it will debut very soon and will run at the next LSX shootout.

I was lucky as a young Technician on the line... I had some very, very good highly experienced factory trained guys show me some stuff and I just took it from there.

Two of the most important things I ever learned about working on cars did not actually involve working on the cars, rather it is what made me a better technician, it made me think... a good friend once gave me this advice and I'll share it here.

#1. You have to be smarter than what you are working on. No matter what it is.

#2. Regardless of the type of system you are working on... electrical circuit, fuel system, a/c hydraulics, brakes etc... you absolutely must be able to see the entire system inside your head. If you cannot, it will take you much, much longer to understand the problem and repair it correctly the 1st time.

And at the level we functioned then... and even today that is paramount! Heck if it was easy I suppose every body would do it right!

Good Luck with it!

g
Old 10-23-2007, 08:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Frustration got the better of me this time. This is the first time the car hasn't fired after a round of mod LOL.

Plus the posibility of a wiring problem really kicked me in the ***. I'm colorblind and colored wires = massive problems. Thanks again for all the help
Old 10-24-2007, 10:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Glad to see you got it up and running man. I hate anything that has to do with electrical ..

Quick Reply: A4 to TH400 install swap now my car won't start.