Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many bellhousing bolts for the 4L60E

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2003, 07:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many bellhousing bolts for the 4L60E

I got 6 bolts out and the tranny wont pull off. Not sure if there is another bolt up top i cant find but i tried to find it for awhile so i sure hope there isnt one i still need to get to.
Old 06-11-2003, 07:34 PM
TECH Resident

Default Re: How many bellhousing bolts for the 4L60E

There are 8 bellhousing bolts. Just pulled my tranny 2 weeks ago. Also, took me 4 hours AFTER taking bolts out to pry tranny from motor. They were seized together, so take your time, and what I found is to after taking all 8 bolts out and disconnecting everything, take a crowbar, stick it in there, and kick the **** out of the crowbar. Be careful though.
Old 06-11-2003, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dammit so you mean there are two more bolts i cant find. How did you get to them.
Old 06-12-2003, 01:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

The hayes manual says 6 so what am i missing to unbolt.
Old 06-12-2003, 12:44 PM
TECH Resident

E-mail me with any questions Michaelozorowsky@hotmail.com. You DO have an LS1 right? That's what I assumed. What you have to do is pry down on the tranny a little, and take like 3 feet of extensions, and a swivel joint, and a flashlight. Look way back there from the transmission mount (Drop the transmission mount completely, motor and tranny will sag) and you'll see the bolts at the top of the tranny. I can't tell you how much of a PITA these bolts are. Also, take some duct tape, and wrap it around the swivel, and bend the swivel into the position you want it in so that it won't move it all over the place on you. E-mail me with any ?'s.
Old 06-12-2003, 10:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are 8 and if your manual states six, burn it. You also have a dowel.

topfig
MGySgt USMC
Old 06-14-2003, 08:35 PM
Launching!

and some people leave that top bolt out on the re-assemble... do that at your own discretion (i use just 7 bolts myself). and when putting the 2 top ones back in, you can put a dab of silicone in the socket to hold the bolt in place while you fish it back up there. have fun!
Old 06-16-2003, 03:28 PM
Launching!

It's not that hard.Use 3' of ext. and a swivel socket.I used tape to hold the bolt in too.In order to see those top ones you need to let the trans. drop as far as it will and put your head on the yoke of the driveshaft.
Old 07-31-2018, 01:41 PM

Default how many bellhousing bolts.

Originally Posted by sited12
I got 6 bolts out and the tranny wont pull off. Not sure if there is another bolt up top i cant find but i tried to find it for awhile so i sure hope there isnt one i still need to get to.
if you pulled 6 bolts, then you got all of them.. I just pulled mine, literally. maybe some other trannys have 8, but the 4l60e's only have 6. Google a pic of a 4l60e bellhousing, thats a dead giveaway right there.. mine actually had studs and not bolts.. but the studs mallet nuts on the tranny side of the studsmallertuds are seized on, as usual, so they come out nut, stud an all.. never had a tranny stuck tho.. I've heard of it, but never had it happen personally. I normally get it all unhookee, get the lines out, all bolts out, then put the jack under the pan. with a 2by, wider than the pan, Jack it up, pull crossmember, then slowly lower it, normally always breaks loose no prob.
Old 07-31-2018, 03:21 PM
Teching In

Honestly, I do alot of 60e replacements in gmt800's and I now pop the intake off and get them with a wrench. It's so much easier, and 1/2 the time here inthe NE the trucks need knock sensor and ground wire repair anyways.
Old 07-31-2018, 04:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by sited12
The hayes manual says 6 so what am i missing to unbolt.
What year 4L60E? I believe the older 4L60E's had 6 bolts and the newer 4L60E's have 8 bolts holding the trans to the engine.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by rocketmann
if you pulled 6 bolts, then you got all of them.. I just pulled mine, literally. maybe some other trannys have 8, but the 4l60e's only have 6. Google a pic of a 4l60e bellhousing, thats a dead giveaway right there.. mine actually had studs and not bolts.. but the studs mallet nuts on the tranny side of the studsmallertuds are seized on, as usual, so they come out nut, stud an all.. never had a tranny stuck tho.. I've heard of it, but never had it happen personally. I normally get it all unhookee, get the lines out, all bolts out, then put the jack under the pan. with a 2by, wider than the pan, Jack it up, pull crossmember, then slowly lower it, normally always breaks loose no prob.
I'm sure that after 15 years, he figured it out by now.
Old 08-01-2018, 07:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,218 Likes on 782 Posts

Jesus christ people...look at the post date.

If he has had the same car sitting on jack stands for 15 years because he couldn't figure out 2 bellhousing bolts, you all might be a little late to help.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:48 PM
Teching In

Default Funny

Originally Posted by Game ova
I'm sure that after 15 years, he figured it out by now.
Hehe that was funny. Mean if the person isn’t real good with computers but I cracked up. I personally find myself answering queuing If I can regardless if they are a decade and a half old. Why? Because some moron like me may come across the post fifteen years from now looking for answers and then it will be there. I searched for something similar and this post came up. Am I supposed to not read it because it’s old?
Old 11-10-2019, 12:00 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by MaroonMonsterLS1
Jesus christ people...look at the post date.

If he has had the same car sitting on jack stands for 15 years because he couldn't figure out 2 bellhousing bolts, you all might be a little late to help.
Ever watch Garage Squad? It seems like there may be cars up on jack stands for 15 years because someone couldn't get the transmission out.

Hell the OP probably still has his up on jack stands since he was told there are only six bolts and he needs to put a big pry bar in there and kick the **** out of it be break it loose from the "dowel" (singular as if there's only one)
Probably up on jack stands with the transmission sitting next to it with a broken bellhousing.
Old 10-22-2020, 05:50 PM

Default I know it’s an old post but...

My 4L60 has nine bolts, 4 on top of the pins and five on the bottom.

Quick Reply: How many bellhousing bolts for the 4L60E