Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

after rebuild car moves at 5mph at really high rpm, like something not grabbing

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 04:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry after rebuild car moves at 5mph at really high rpm, like something not grabbing

finally got the courage up to work on the car a bit today... its been a very long road. discovered that when we replaced the wiring harness in the vavle body we had improperly aligned the shift linkage.. so after finding this i was hopeful...

now the new problem: fired her up, put the brake on, put the car in drive revved it up to about 3000 rpms and turned the tires over a few times in the garage, actually enuff to leave black marks... then the damn thing ran out of gas and by the time i got back with the gas can and pulled it out of the garage it was acting up again just like before we replaced the harness.

short story- basically in 1,2,3 or D it takes a insane amount of rpm just to get the car to roll at like 5mph... reverse seems to be the same way maybe not quite as bad.. i have a 4000 stall and 4.10's, but i had that before all this started so its not like im coming from a stock converter, something is not grabbing, and apparently it worked for a tiny second in the garage when we first fired it up....

just so tired of getting my hopes up and then bam.. at tax time im buying a new trans, converter, cooler, the whole 9 yards if i haven't got it going, but ive been without the car for a while now and well its getting a lil depressing, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.. as u can see i havn't posted in a good long while, just want my car running again, could care less about timeslips or anything else, just want to drive it...

sorry for all the whining and moaning just had to vent i guess
Old 12-15-2007, 04:35 PM
11 Second Club

im going to pull a cooler line, ive read in another thread that if none or lil fluid comes out perhaps the pump was damaged during install... i doubt it but at this point anythings worth a shot
Old 12-15-2007, 04:43 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

That would be a good thing to check first, If you do have fluild coming out but still litle movement either way emove the pan and check the presure regulator valve as it could be sticking . Having a presure guage to hook to it would be very helpfull

Call 888-744-6542

Old 12-15-2007, 05:10 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by performabuilt
That would be a good thing to check first, If you do have fluild coming out but still litle movement either way emove the pan and check the presure regulator valve as it could be sticking . Having a presure guage to hook to it would be very helpfull
its actually one of ur transmissions i intend to buy at tax refund time lol, wife wont let it happen any sooner tho. speaking of what level would you reccomend.. its not the hp thats been breaking mine, its the 60ft times! 1.50's n/a and if i get one that holds together ill spray it again lol

yea it would if i had one wouldn't it lol... ill get to that tom i suppose, what are the chances the converter is bad?

the more i read the more i think it is the pump tho... ive installed quite a few of these things but i was trying to teach the lil brother how to do one and i know he didn't quite seat the converter right the first time and i noticed that when he/we went to bolt the trans up and quickly backed the bolts out and seated it properly not sure if that couldve messed it up or not.. he also managed to crush my dipstick tube "long story" lol.. even if i get the damn thing going i still need a new one, this one has been thru too much to expect it to last very long, just wanted to cruise in it lol

Last edited by LS1_PNYTAMR; 12-15-2007 at 05:20 PM.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:25 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

whats you rwhp ? aprox

Call 888-744-6542

Old 12-16-2007, 05:02 AM
11 Second Club

it only dynoed 341rwhp unlocked. but i think that dyno is just one of those that shows a lil low, cant be much more then that tho its just a stock head, mid size cam... i have a tnt wet kit tho but never got a chance to use it... it ran a 7.42 in the 1/8th n/a with a 1.66 and that was the only pass that day bc it never went into third gear... tranny puked lol.

but the car is gutted, i am looking to hit in the 7.0 range with a lil more tuning and dialing in of the car. so i just want a trans that can take the launch more then anything. ive never broke the stock trans spraying it or anything riding around, but every damn time it hooks up at the track something goes wrong lol
Old 12-16-2007, 06:22 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you sure that the trans is full of fluid? Also when the trans was rebuilt what was the original failure?
Old 12-16-2007, 08:33 AM
11 Second Club

it maybe a quart or so low but not low enuff to do this, about to go unplug the cooler line, exactly how much fluid should come out with the car cut on, does is have to be in any certain gear... should it be a constant flow?

i believe the part i broke was called a input drum... id have to look at the book again to be sure i forget the names there are so many freakin parts lol ive also broken the planets and sun gear as well as burnt the clutches up but we bought upgraded 5 pinion planets ect, and red eagle clutches, and this was a new pump as well...
Old 12-16-2007, 09:09 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

You should get a flowthat looks like someone just turned on a faucet .Substaintial .

As for levels i would suggest our level 2 and its 10 percent off today perhaps yu should take advanatage of our layway plan to fix the price

Call 888-744-6542

Old 12-16-2007, 12:04 PM
11 Second Club

well for the first 3 or 4 secs it seemed to leak quite a bit, then after that a slow dribble was all i got, and at times nothing was coming out, then a slow dribble, kinda like having ur faucet cracked open a tiny bit..... also this morning there was fluid dripping from the front of the trans where the pump is located.... so im guessing its the pump, cant hurt to pull it out and look as its got to come out anyways, may just set it on fire....

maybe leaked a 1/5th of a quart in 10 minutes
Old 12-16-2007, 12:18 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

the pumps not working,
let me know what you find hope its warm where yor working on it

Call 888-744-6542

Old 12-16-2007, 01:16 PM
11 Second Club

the pumps not working,
let me know what you find hope its warm where yor working on it
well the low is 22 and the high today is 50ish, the problem is the 20mph gush of wind haha but i got a garage thank god

yea my wife said i get the entire tax refund check for my car in trade for me not spending any of our xmas money ect on the car. so im getting a new trans maybe the level 3 and prolly a new yank converter, not sure yet and some other goodies, maybe hptuners or something similar

its just we rebuilt this thing a few times having never seen what one even looked like on the inside before, and im bored, and its a pride thing i guess.. i already know im an idiot when it comes to transmissions and most everything else just want to proove im not a complete idiot. i actually have a spare factory pump neways
Old 12-16-2007, 10:43 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Nice on the garage lol , but i think our converter would be better , And no ones and idiot for trying thats how you learn. You are now wiser for your efforts

Call 888-744-6542

Old 12-17-2007, 01:10 AM
11 Second Club

Nice on the garage lol , but i think our converter would be better , And no ones and idiot for trying thats how you learn. You are now wiser for your efforts
thanks and thanks for ur advice... unfortunately its a detached garage i rent.. i live in an apartment.... however its plenty big enuff and its got 3 sockets, so i guess they wont mind if i plug in some extra lights and a electric heater.

still cant wait to get a good trans in there i have confidence in, enuff to where i can get back to the track and spray it, right now i just want it moving so maybe i can take it and get it detailed
Old 12-17-2007, 01:23 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1_PNYTAMR
i actually have a spare factory pump neways

correction, i had a box of spare trans parts, like 2 sets of worn clutches, the broken stuff, the origional pump i was going to use ect, well it seems my wife saw the broke stuff and tossed the box when we moved... along with my front bumper support and sway bar looks to be missing as well
Old 12-17-2007, 09:38 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I figured out no fluid= little movement with lots of RPM lol. I was coming home one night about 2am and a trans cooler line popped off and I didnt know it. Got about a mile from my house and the car starting running up the RPM's but keep slowing down. I had to eventually stop at a chruch and run home to find only one quart of motor oil. Went back and rigged it back together added the motor oil (didnt care at the time I was pissed) and tried to get home. It did not want to move forward at all. You put it in gear and it would rev and thats about it. I lived on the start of a mountain and my house was up another hill in our subdivision. The only way it would move was in reverse and it would barely pull its weight then. I bet it took me 30-40 min to go a mile up hill. I had to coast down a little ways then put it in reverse and get a running start. Took a couple times but I got it. I through that junk *** cooler away and put a new one on and changed the fluid, I mean oil and that trans believe it or not lasted over a year after that.

You didnt damage the pump installing the converter did you? If the converter doesnt click in just right on the shaft you'll kill the pump once you bolt the trans up.

Quick Reply: after rebuild car moves at 5mph at really high rpm, like something not grabbing