Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blown Tranny???

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 02:52 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown Tranny???

so i was doing some freeway rolls lastnight against another t/a, some skittles and a boosted 4.6 in a fox boddy did a few 1st gear rolls @ 25 and a couple 2nd gear rolls @ 50 and was killing everyone but on my second to last run i heard a small clunk and a hard shift from 2nd to 3rd but ran fine after so were about to all head home its about 2am and the boosted fox bod wants to try a 50mph roll so we start in 2nd @ 50 i hit it then moved the shifter to D to let the auto shift for me, im about a car ahead but as it hits 3rd i hear the rev limiter! WTF! had some vibration when i let off but i have a polly trans mount, go to get back on it and nothing...no gear whatsoever check im not in neutral slow down drop to 3rd nothing, then 2nd nothing! then 1st. . .and nothing stop under a overpass shut the car off look under with a flashlight no trans fluid no rear end oil pushed it ten feet it rolled fine started it back up and have nothing foreward or reverse in any gear!!! with the engine running i heard a slight random knocking/tapping from the converter area soo. . .who knows wtf happened? it was built almost a year ago with a beast sunshell, billet servo's, alto clutch bands, and a 3000 stall converter (not sure what brand) . . .anyone??
Old 01-20-2008, 03:33 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Sounds like you have a failure in the input drum front planet area. You will be either rebuilding or replacing the transmission, You may want to look at what we have to offer during this weekend sale

Call 888-744-6542

Old 01-20-2008, 05:14 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it was a situation where you felt a solid "clunk" on the pass befroe it failed, then I would suspect that the Input Shaft fractured the Input drum on that pass but it did not grenade until the next pass.

You are obviously making enough power that you need a very well built unit. You need a professional who knows how to get it done right the 1st time without having to send it back in a few times for repairs. You need a Racing Transmission not a "built" transmission.

There really is more to it than just putting in good parts.

Good Luck.

g
Old 01-23-2008, 09:13 PM
Launching!

to update on the trans ; on tuesday car went in to the shop that built it last year all they did all day today was pulled the pan and he said "it was spotless inside" so i'm hopeing thats a good thing that its not full of metal shaveings? hopefully by end of business tomorrow he'll have it out and pulled apart!!!
Old 01-24-2008, 04:12 PM
Launching!

another update; just heard from the shop, apparently what happened was my flyweel came apart, i believe he said this did some damage to my flexplate and took out my trans pump! if any of the experts can chime in and tell me how this happens or what would cause this it would be greatly appreciated!! the builder said i should go with a "sfi approved" flyweel that would cost between $300-400 and quoted me @ $1200 out the door for everything...does this sound about right or am i getting screwed?? also he said he would check the valve body for any dubries, could this have screwed my trans. up or should i be ok? thanx in advance for anyones help!!
Old 01-24-2008, 04:16 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Well a broken flex plate could indeed cause all the above, It happens. Sounds like they have it under control. Did the shop show you the flex plate. I would be curious to see what it looks like?

Call 888-744-6542

Old 01-24-2008, 04:56 PM
Launching!

not yet im trying to get a ride down there to get pic's! since the t/a is my dd and my only vehicle, (which blows right now) i told him i wanted pics of whatever i broke! lol ...will post them up when i get some, he better save the pieces for me!!

Trending Topics

Old 01-24-2008, 08:53 PM
Launching!

just got back from the shop got a few pic's of the damage not as bad as i thought i guess... still going to cost the same though all three holes in the flex plate had a crack all the way to the outer ring gear and this colar thing (forgot what he called it) that locks to the converter shaft pretty much exploded into two, thats the part that f***'ed up the pump i told him to hook me up with a tci flexplate but is there an upgrade part for that collar?? or did that just break cuz of the flexplate cracking ?
Attached Thumbnails Blown Tranny???-flywheel2.jpg   Blown Tranny???-flywheel.jpg   Blown Tranny???-brokenpiece.jpg  
Old 01-24-2008, 08:58 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by 01ws666
just got back from the shop got a few pic's of the damage not as bad as i thought i guess... still going to cost the same though all three holes in the flex plate had a crack all the way to the outer ring gear and this colar thing (forgot what he called it) that locks to the converter shaft pretty much exploded into two, thats the part that f***'ed up the pump i told him to hook me up with a tci flexplate but is there an upgrade part for that collar?? or did that just break cuz of the flexplate cracking ?
Yes thats what it looks like, the collar thing is the pump rotor.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 02-08-2008, 12:51 AM
Launching!

Trans just **** again!!! after waiting two long weeks for the dam shop to replace my pump, rotor and flexplate, I took the car to a local guy that does street tunes with EFI live to get all my shift points tuned and A/F ratio check out , so he asked me to try it out and see how I like the new shift points... we'll my first WOT run broke something in the front of the trans area AGAIN!! and this time left me stranded out in the country (good spot to do wot test runs) with a completely dead cellphone at that!! This time I have no foreward gears again and reverse doesnt work either but makes a pretty good grinding noise this time... also last time it broke I had park still and it rolled easy in N this time I dont have park and it didnt want to roll, like it kept binding up in there...anyone want to play guess the broken part just for ***** and gigles?? I'll post more pics when they open er up.... Oh and one more thing I had it towed straight back to the trans. shop that I picked it up from just two day's ago so it will be there waiting for them when they open up and I havnt left my message on their answering machine yet any suggestions??
Old 02-08-2008, 01:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that sucks man. check the warranty the shop provided you with. and by all means, dont tell them you were ripping on the car when it broke.

as a word of advice....my t/a is also my daily driver; if you want it to be a reliable car, dont be ripping on it 24/7. give it a nice run once or twice a week .
Old 02-08-2008, 12:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

call flt..........................
Old 02-08-2008, 06:46 PM
Launching!

Heard back from the shop this mourning and it doesnt sound good! this time I broke my output shaft in two wich I guess caused a chain reaction and destroyed alot of the internals in mostly the back half of the trans. The owner of the shop is out of town till monday...I really dont have the money if I have to pay for this seeing as I just dropped $1250 3 days ago for the pump and flexplate, should the shop assume any responsibility for this since they completely dissasembled the trans last week and said everything inside looked good? and they either messed up on the rebuild or reinstalled a bad output shaft that was maybee stressed when the pump rotor broke? I mean this was like the first WOT run I tried since getting it back and it only made it to 5700rpm's in 1st gear and it broke! what do you all think??
Old 02-08-2008, 07:08 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think that sucks... for everybody involved. Really do hate to see it go down. I've been following this thread for a while now, what a bummer.

But, that's racing. I really cannot say who should accept responsibility. Parts failures cannot be predicted. It is possible that the output shaft was cracked at the time of the build. But it is possible that it was not. My opinion, without seeing it would be that it probably was either cracked or twisted... but that is only an opinion. Take it for what it is worth.

I tell you that because anytime there is a significant failure like you had each and every hard part needs to be very closely inspected. Nothing can be taken for granted in a case like that.

As far as responsibility... it is a judgement call. Do not be abusive with them, that will get you nowhere. Ask them their opinion about why it failed and go from there. I would probably offer you a concession of some sort if it was here at my shop, but I cannot say that deinatively because I do not know all of the circumstances. Most likely though, I would offer to provide the labor and you provide the parts.

If your builder does not have much high Performance experience then they may not know what to look for because they do not see units that have high stress failures each and every day like racing shops do. It's a fact.

Good luck man. I wish you the best.

g
Old 02-11-2008, 10:43 PM
Launching!

Default Check out the Tranny carnage pic's!!!

So I made it down to the shop today to see what kind of damage I did...And I'd say I F***'ed it up pretty good! What do the experts think? have any of the sponsors that see racing tranny's on a daily basis seen a failure of the output shaft/rear planet area like this?
Attached Thumbnails Blown Tranny???-home-pics-575.jpg   Blown Tranny???-home-pics-574.jpg   Blown Tranny???-home-pics-573.jpg   Blown Tranny???-home-pics-572.jpg   Blown Tranny???-home-pics-571.jpg  

Blown Tranny???-home-pics-570.jpg   Blown Tranny???-home-pics-569.jpg  
Old 02-11-2008, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Omg.........................................
Old 02-11-2008, 11:07 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by 01ws666
So I made it down to the shop today to see what kind of damage I did...And I'd say I F***'ed it up pretty good! What do the experts think? have any of the sponsors that see racing tranny's on a daily basis seen a failure of the output shaft/rear planet area like this?

I have seen it , It could just be a weak shaft, It could be the accums are blocked and its was shifting really hard or line presure really high. But the ones I have seen actually happened when a rear end failed . I would definatley inspect that.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 02-11-2008, 11:23 PM
Launching!

But the ones I have seen actually happened when a rear end failed . I would definatley inspect that....

Oh no! dont tell me that! Dam I hope not!!...this happened right at the 1-2 shift point close to 6k rpm's and it was not a hard launch I just eased into it... I actually was shooting vid of the guages when it broke. Lol I had just got my shift points changed and was going to compare the new vid with the old one of a 0-130mph run I shot and compare shift points...I should post that vid also Its kinda funny!
Old 02-13-2008, 02:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

yeah it is kinda funny . . . dammit wes!!!!! get your **** fixed now i'm gonna be the fastest car lol
Old 02-13-2008, 07:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by King Nothing
yeah it is kinda funny . . . dammit wes!!!!! get your **** fixed now i'm gonna be the fastest car lol
In your dreams Cuddles haha! I think Sideshow's got something for ya! Lol