Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WHAT CARS/TRUCKS DO 4L80e's COME IN?????

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 08:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default WHAT CARS/TRUCKS DO 4L80e's COME IN?????

Well ive been thinking about it and i really think there should be a sticky or something (ANYTHING) similar to find out what cars/trucks came with 4L80e or 4L80's from the factory. Reason being that poor guys like me (that are looking for a budget 4L80 setup and cant afford a $3000 sponsor one, which are very nice btw) can just look here and THEN start their search instead of just thinking they just come in any "heavy duty" GM truck. They come in vans, trucks, tilt cab U-Haul style trucks, and many many more but there are alot of variants and many styles which can be confusing. I think we should get a basic list of what years/models the 4L80 came standard and especially which ones will fit our fbodies(4x2 wheel drive). Obviously it would have to be the 2 wheel drive version of the tranny and also would specify if its a 4L80 (non electronic) or newer 4L80e which was computer controlled.

I dont know if or why this hasnt been posted/stickied yet, it would help ALOT of people narrow their search since these trannies are pretty dam hard to find for some reason.

Thanks in advance, when i get back home i will post up years and models that came with the 4L80e to help jump start this thing. Anybody with good info come in and i will add it to my list...
***MODs If this list has been done before, sorry for being a jackass and reposting this lol
The following users liked this post:
JaeMonte (03-05-2021)
Old 02-02-2008, 08:39 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

They started in 89 and were in assorted trucks and full size vans, As far as I am aware they never came in a car, Unfortunatly finding thm is it and miss you about have to walk through the junk yards and just look under the 3/4 ton bigger trucks and vans but I have seen them in 1/2 ton trucks to ,

Call 888-744-6542

Old 02-02-2008, 08:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This would be a lot of help to people trying to find them on a budget. Just to help the searck a little, I have a 1997 3500 Dually w/ a Vortec 454 and 4L80E in it. If you are going to find one in a junk yard I would also look at the vehicle it's in. Since these are mostly in the HD series trucks even if the truck is wrecked (in the junkyard) if the bed of that truck is completely beat to **** then most likely that trans has had a rough life and probably hasn't been maintained worth a damn. Unless you have enough money to go through it I would look for a vehicle that at least looks like it might have been taken care of. JMHO
Old 02-02-2008, 09:09 PM
TECH Regular

I got my 4l80e for 66 bucks out of a gmc van then got it rebuilt. I went to a big u pull it yard and looked underneath every bigger truck/van I believe the 94 has the newer electronics or something atleast I was told to pretty much get a 94+ and I got lucky and found a 94 I thought I wasnt going to find one. Btw if you do go pull one bring a few buddys with you the junkyard we went to doesnt allow jacks lol.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

You guys please don't quote me on this but I am wanting to say the electronic versions came in in 92 but I could be wrong. I had a 1991 B4C Z/28 and I don't recall it being a electronic trans other than the speedo and stuff.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:36 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All factory versions of the 4l80e are electronic. Not sure what you guy's are talking about a non electronic version. The only one that I am aware of is one that has been modified with a transgo kit.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:07 PM
TECH Regular

Yes I heard there all electronic but I heard the 91/93 have different harness connector.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:17 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

They do but you can upgrade that by changing the harness and the presure manifold sensor around 100 bucks

Call 888-744-6542

Old 02-03-2008, 03:21 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
All factory versions of the 4l80e are electronic. Not sure what you guy's are talking about a non electronic version. The only one that I am aware of is one that has been modified with a transgo kit.
i thought there were 4L80's in existence (no "e") lol guess i could be wrong
Old 02-03-2008, 03:22 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RamAir02TA77
I got my 4l80e for 66 bucks out of a gmc van then got it rebuilt. I went to a big u pull it yard and looked underneath every bigger truck/van I believe the 94 has the newer electronics or something atleast I was told to pretty much get a 94+ and I got lucky and found a 94 I thought I wasnt going to find one. Btw if you do go pull one bring a few buddys with you the junkyard we went to doesnt allow jacks lol.
yea man i looked up those guys with the U-Pull junkyard but too dam bad im a zillion miles away if not i woulda gone over there and dragged one home my dam self lol lucky you you got a screammming deal, basically cost you nothing only paid for the rebuild, i hope i can find something close to that. Cheapest i have found so far is like $600+
Old 02-03-2008, 03:27 AM
TECH Resident

How hard would it be do get one of those older 4L80's and just modify them when i get it rebuilt to be full manual to avoid the hassles and more $$ invested into the electronic stuff (new hp tuners file, retune, then the friggin harne$$, then pray it works bla bla) I kinda like the idea of shifting it myself anyways. Im thinking and hoping it would be cheaper and that it would be better for me to just find an older 4L80 to start with that doesnt require electronics. it just works out for me either way to avoid one or two more headaches
Old 02-03-2008, 03:31 AM
TECH Resident

How can you tell its a true 4L80(e), easiest way i think i remember was counting the trans oil pan bolts am i right on this? Its 17 bolts if my memory serves me correct?? You guys have any other suggestions besides this or reading the actual letters 4L80 (which might not be possible in some cases?)
Old 02-03-2008, 09:22 PM
TECH Regular

I could just tell by looking at the case with the plug out the side of the trans and the marks on the side of the bellhousing you could also count the trans pan bolts I guess. Maybe just look at some pictures of them and youll get an idea.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:58 AM
TECH Resident

thanks man ill try and see if i can find some pictures to see what and where the differences would be
Old 02-04-2008, 01:34 PM
Launching!

Oh i see this thread getting locked real soon!
Old 02-04-2008, 02:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jxaxsxoxn
Just looking at the pan is a dead giveaway, you don't need to count bolts. Plus the big wire harness out the side, two speed sensors on the drivers side. '99 and up say 4L80E cast into the passenger side case.
GM NEVER produced a non electric 4L80E. People sometimes say 4L80 because those who know are aware that E means electronic and they are all electronically shifted from the factory.
I've talked to you before fenix999, seems you're looking for a free trans. Hialiahbawler from ebay right? you should change that to HialiahLOWbawler.
I offered you a rebuilt 4L80E with 30,000 miles and another trans both for $500 and that wasn't low enough.
What why didn't you offer it to me I would have taken it but I already have one now getting built at the shop
Old 02-05-2008, 09:35 PM
TECH Resident

Jason, yea thanks for the kind words dumb ****. MY name should be changed to low baller because your name should have been "iDontKnowWhatTheFuckIHaveInFrontOfMeAndImTryingTo GetRichBySellingGarbageThatDoesntWork". You told all you needed to tell me and i know what i was doing and i know what i needed to do all along, just waiting for thr right price and the right moment and you were OBVIOUSLY not getting my money since it was just out of my budget and too far from me period... Its just that im not gonna pay you or anyone for that matter $500 for a tranny that you dont wtf has happened to or what it came out of and on top of that im probably going to end up getting screwed for shipping, Now remember you kept insisting on yea ill sell it to you but "I advise you to get it rebuilt because bla bla bla bla" How iffy does that sound if you're asking price is too high and i gotta think about the rebuild cost, the shipping, whatever might be missing or broken?????? Cmon put yourself in my shoes, Yea i know im not a total idiot like you're making me seem im pretty sure you're a real class act, but Im sure nobody in their right mind would jump on a chance to buy an LS1 that "might or might not be" blown listed for NORMAL FUNCTIONAL price, then have the seller tell them, well you can "probably" use it but i think you should just spend more money on whatever "might" be wrong with it before you run it. Look man how bout this one, i just found a real nice low mileage 4L80e locally from a yard off a '95 truck for $350. Did you get that, LOCALLY, and did you get the part where they warranty their **** since its from a place of business, not you're trans graveyard aka your backyard. You're a real big man talking **** on you're keyboard, its funny actually that you chase my thread down just to speak nonsense when im just trying to help other pple out as i learn myself. You had an ASKING price and i gave you something else. If you dont like it go somewhere else with that ****, i did didnt i? And i got what i wanted. Now go sell your **** transmitions to someone who gives a ****. Im pretty sure you're still ticked off that you still have an *** load of turbo 400 and turbo 350 CRAP transmisions laying around that you havent sold. Hmm i wonderrrr why, Now back to my thread osama
Old 02-05-2008, 09:42 PM
TECH Resident

I was selling another one, a rebuildable core. Then SOME genius asked me if theres a chance it'll bolt right in his car and run as is.
So then I gave a short tutorial on how to put one in an f body.
I got another one that runs, I offered him two for $500 and he wanted to pay $200.
whatever.
And get it right you offered two CRAP transmitions so i offered what most places pay for shitty rebuildable cores, $100 or so a trans WHICH magically equals $200. WOW ding ding ding GENIUS. It was a Turbo 350 or 400 from the stone age that was a mess and missing the tailshaft or bell housing, and something else which again, was crap in my eyes. Im not gonna buy your crap so i can store it for you, sorry i have enough **** i dont need or use already. To me i see your still ranting and raving that you couldnt get me to bite on what you thought was a good deal, Get over it man look on the bright side, take your stuff to the recycling place and get some cash. Im sure you'll get more then $200 for it
Old 02-05-2008, 09:51 PM
TECH Resident

Now it was a rebuilt 4L80e? A second ago you said the ones you were selling me were REBUILDABLE CORES, which eh-um means YOU HAVE TO REBUILD THEM. I didnt know pple who knew it all could contradict themselves so easily. Wait contradict is a big word guess i shouldnt be using those since im not a genius and all.
And yes i know about the 2 speed sensors, and all that but i never knew what a 4L80e looked like and its kinda hard to tell when you've never actually seen something. I dont go crawling under cars for fun ya know, and no i wasnt looking for a free trans at all, but i did get a better deal for a better trans which is all i wanted, didnt want you to get all upset just b/c i asked you a few questions and turned you down lol Is it That time of the month?

Just looking at the pan is a dead giveaway, you don't need to count bolts. Plus the big wire harness out the side, two speed sensors on the drivers side. '99 and up say 4L80E cast into the passenger side case.
GM NEVER produced a non electric 4L80E. People sometimes say 4L80 because those who know are aware that E means electronic and they are all electronically shifted from the factory.
I've talked to you before fenix999, seems you're looking for a free trans. Hialiahbawler from ebay right? you should change that to HialiahLOWbawler.
I offered you a rebuilt 4L80E with 30,000 miles and another trans both for $500 and that wasn't low enough.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:55 PM
TECH Resident

I guess it was a disaster of a misunderstanding, and i replied 3 times b/c i couldnt believe what you were saying in your posts, everytime i read over something i saw something that either was wrong or completely misunderstood between us. Some of that stuff we never spoke of so you cant hold me to it and vice versa. You mention the rebuidable core then the "good" 4L80e and then say that you never mentioned it to me, exactly i "thought" one thing but understood something else. Maybe thats why i asked so many redundant questions 52 times lol Anyways no man i didnt have to do any talking at all, its just ive been looking for a while being patient and i finally got a place that has one and willing to let it go real cheap. Got lucky since everyone around here is asking more than $500. Your's was a good deal, i understand, but just realize it wasnt what i was looking for from the beginning, and i still have to buy alot more stuff and just trying to save a little $$ on the swap, thats all.

Quick Reply: WHAT CARS/TRUCKS DO 4L80e's COME IN?????