Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to hook up extra cooler...

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to hook up extra cooler...

I'm just wondering about something...my 103,000 mile 4L60 is finally giving up the ghost and I'm going to have Mike Kurtz Build me one and have my Vig rebuilt also. But since I'm going to be spending a nice chunk of change on this transmission I want to keep the summabizznatch as cool as possible and here in houston that's next to impossible unless you don't drive period.

My question...would you hook up a cooler IN LINE w/the stock one that goes thru the radiator or buy the biggest dang tranny cooler and fan that will fit in front of the radiator and just flow straight thru that? Here in Houston I would have the fan come on immediately cause no matter what the thing is going to get hot...but would running it inline w/the stocker help or hurt?

TIA

Old 08-06-2003, 06:37 PM
TECH Regular

Default Re: Best way to hook up extra cooler...

I would mount a good cooler in front of the ac condensor and come out of the cooler in the radiator into the new cooler and than back to the trans. It is not as hot here as it is in Texas but we have plenty of over 100 deg. temps in the desert and my temp is 180 or under. The key is a good cooler like a Setrab or the higher end B&M.
Old 08-06-2003, 07:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can actually run cooler bypassing the radiator. Even with a 160 T-Stat, your coolant is going to be about 175 or higher, so the radiator will add heat to the tranny fluid until the tranny oil is up to that temp. A 24 or 28k cooler running standalone plus a good aluminium pan with fins may run cooler than using the radiator first.

Since our winters get cold, I go through the radiator and I generally have no problem maintaining 180* or less in the summer.
Old 08-07-2003, 01:48 PM
10 Second Club

I agree that it's worth the extra money to buy a high quality cooler instead of some piece of crap.
Old 08-07-2003, 09:22 PM
TECH Junkie

i cant believe you lasted that long with a converter and no cooler.

i have mine run inline with the stocker. i have it go into the stock one, come out and go into the aftermarket one, then into the trans. it stays at 170-180 in 90 degree weather just cruising around town. you dont want your trans to run too cool though.
Old 08-08-2003, 11:45 PM
Sponsor

Make sure you get the right size cooler.. I know it's bad for the tranny when it's too cool.

What size should he get boys and girls?
Old 08-09-2003, 04:22 PM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ive bought 7 rebuilt transmissions for my different trucks over the years (700r4 and 4l60e)Every one came with instructions demanding under penalty of voiding any warranty they offered that the cooler in the radiator had to be bypassed and the fluid to go directly from the transmission to the auxilary cooler. One reason not mentioned in this thread was that by running it through 2 coolers you increase the resistance thus reducing the flow.
Old 08-10-2003, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

cool..thanks boyz and girls...answered my question. and YES...Only God himself know's why it has lasted like it has.