Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e Tranny not shifting?? Stays in 3rd?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 10:46 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shon Herron
GOT IT!
That diagram you posted helped!! The wiring information we were using didnt match the use of the wire that was not hooked up, but once I got ign power to that pink wire it was good to go! Now time to street tune and hit the track!
THANKS!
was yours in limp mode also? and staying in third gear? What did you do to get yours to work?? I dont see what you were talking about with the schematics. I hate wiring also
Old 07-01-2008, 10:48 AM
Launching!

Pin E is powered through connector C2 on the fuseblock, and pinout number F2. I got power to that by just adding power from another source of ign. But as soon as i start driving it, itll shift through the gears very fast, and stay in 3rd gear?? WTF?
Can somebody PLEEEEASE help me out on this
Old 07-01-2008, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Has the VCM been 'tuned' or is it stock? Do you have the VSS hooked up?
Do you have a diagnostic port and any body around you with scanning SW???

I was not getting 12v to pin E, once it did it worked.

Can you put your gear selector in 1st and it be in first? Mine would only be in 3rd no matter what. If you can pull 1st gear and then shift it manually to 2nd it sounds like the shift tables or gear ratio is messed up in the computer.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:08 PM
Launching!

i did have the PCM flashed to take out Vats. And the guy that did it, did my tire size, and gear ratio. The only type of scanning i have done is throught the OBDII port. which pulled up the codes i posted. I would probaly have to try to mess with my linkage for the tranny to get it in first, ( cause its all wierd from the swap. ) but anyways, i know for sure i can shift it down into 2nd gear. i can shift from 2nd to 3rd, but it shifts hard, or if im WOT it takes a bit to shift.

And yes i do have the VSS connector hooked up to. I got power to the E connector by adding a ign source to it, cause otherwise it was dead.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:18 PM
Launching!

OK!

im getting a little further along a little at a time. I went and bought a scanner instead of having to drive to a parts store to do it all the time.

But i found out one pinout on another part of the harness that needed power to power other portions of the tranny.

So i plugged in the ECT sensor, and wired up the pinouts that needed to be.
NOW im only down to 2 codes!!!

P0740 Torque Converter Clutch Circuit
P0785 Shift Timing Solenoid

whats needed to test for these???
Old 07-03-2008, 07:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Not sure if this will help you or not, but I am going to throw it out there....

What brake switch are you using? You need to have a switch that has 12V constant until the switch is triggered(brake is pressed). The TCC circuit will run through that portion of the switch, then the switch has to have a second section that controls the brake lights. This may be a completely different setup that what you have on the car currently. I have the part # for a generic switch that will work at the house that I can post up later if needed. Once again, this is just a guess for the TCC issue.

Jack
Old 07-03-2008, 08:28 PM
Launching!

Whatever is stock on that, cause i have not messed with that stuff. I know the brake switch that triggers the lights works, cause i accidently broke a tab off so the brake light trigger is hanging there, and the brake lights are always on as of right now. I can easily trigger it so there off, but im ordering a new trigger for it.

Otherwise i dont know what else you may be talking about.... its just confusing.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:33 AM
Launching!

ok babyduece: i was kinda looking into what you were saying and stuff, and came up with this connector that isnt connected to anything, it just sits there:

I have PINOUT "C" connected up to "ign" and it powered up parts of the fuseblock that goes to the tranny....
BUT.. What about pinout "E"? what should i do with that? maybe thats my problem cause its not wired in with anything??

Any advise?
Old 07-04-2008, 06:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

If pin "E" does not have a 12vdc constant with the brake switch disengaged(no brake applied), that would cause the TCC error that you are seeing. The switch tells the tranny/computer when it is "ok" to engage the TC clutch, and when no volts are present(brake applied), it disengages the clutch. see this link for a generic switch http://216.25.99.66/newhtml/brakeswitch.html

I am using this switch in my 63 nova 5.3 conversion, and it works great, and is simple to wire.

What year harness and pcm are you using?

Jack
Old 07-04-2008, 06:38 PM
Launching!

i am using a 2001 PCM, and a 2004 Harness. I had a 2001 harness from the motor but it was all cut up.

Ill give the brake pedal things a try. Its a good possabilty thats exactly the issue.
Old 07-10-2008, 05:30 PM
Launching!

anyone have anything else to try?
Old 07-11-2008, 01:28 AM
Launching!

Not sure what else to try, anyone help out here????
Old 07-12-2008, 12:08 AM
Launching!

babyDuece: can you give me like a pinout drawing or let me know what needs to be hooked up where and what needs connected. Im pretty sure i have nothing for the brake switch cause i havent connected anything up for that yet.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am on vacation at the moment, and don't have access to any pinouts. You can do some research and find where Pin"E" goes to the transmission, and trace it back to the computer, split the line, and run it through the switch that I gave you the link for. My guess is that since you dont have the dash harness that plugs into C100, you do not have the leads for the brake switch.

Jack
Old 07-15-2008, 09:18 PM
Launching!

^Ill give that a try or something

I talked to another tranny shop and they said cause the tranny is from a 98 camaro, i should try using a 98 PCM, cause they change after years..... would that really matter?
The pinouts looks similar.

Quick Reply: 4l60e Tranny not shifting?? Stays in 3rd?