Automotive Careers Looking for an automotive job or employees?

Certified GM technician seeking work in Nashville

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 10:40 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Certified GM technician seeking work in Nashville

My dealership just closed down, and I have been looking to relocate to Nashville for a while now. I am a certified ASE master and certified GM tech with about 9 years total experience, 6.5 of which was at a Chevrolet dealership. My work scope consists of anything that came down the hatch. Heavy line engine, drivetrain, drivability, steering and suspension, brakes, manual and automatic transmission, electrical, interior trim, you name it as long as it doesn't involve body repair. I don't have a lot of experience on an alignment rack, but I have no problem with furthering my ability there. I have a lot of tools (somewhere in the neighborhood of 25-30K invested), working on procuring my own Tech2. If anyone is looking for a highly skilled tech in the area at a dealership, please let me know! Thank you!

Last edited by deadhorse66; 05-11-2009 at 10:21 AM.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:21 AM
Launching!

I can't help you out but I can sympathize with you. Being a fellow GM master tech I know times are tough for us and my place is also in danger of being shut down too. Good luck in your search bud.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

i feel your pain also, the dealership i worked at also closed down, but we got lucky someone bought our dealership and re-hired all the techs. good luck with your job search.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in nashville. There's quite a few gm dealers around here. I don't know if they need anybody though. good luck to you!
Old 05-16-2009, 08:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interested in the Daphne Ala area? South Ala.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:38 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

Originally Posted by 7camaro7
I live in nashville. There's quite a few gm dealers around here. I don't know if they need anybody though. good luck to you!
I live in LaVergne so we are neighbors. Looks like from the Chrysler list of closed dealerships , the dealerships in cities are not so much in danger as the smaller rural ones are.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:06 PM
Launching!

^Thats what I'm banking on. I have a young lady friend in Nashville, so that is one of the other reasons I'm looking there. If it weren't for her, I'd go almost anywhere in the area, including Alabama. Almost all of the rural GM dealers around my current area have closed, but none in Paducah (or Nashville as far as I know). I'm out of it for about a month taking care of some family business, but then its on like donkey kong again. I'm tired of seeing my box sit and collect dust. Are you guys on Tennesspeed? I just re-joined.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

I feel for you man...my Chevrolet dealership is in jeopardy also. We might know this week. That is why I am no longer a sponsor on here.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:47 PM
Launching!

I hate that for you, bro. Makes you feel very disconnected and out of the loop when it happens, but hopefully you won't have to go through it. Thanks to all who have wished me well too!
Old 05-29-2009, 03:04 PM
Launching!

Update: I have an interview a week from today at Beaman Pontiac/GMC. Wish me luck!
Old 05-29-2009, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

good luck man!!!

just curious, how "certified" are you???
Old 05-30-2009, 09:48 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

Originally Posted by deadhorse66
Update: I have an interview a week from today at Beaman Pontiac/GMC. Wish me luck!
You will be right smack in the middle of Nashvegas. Beaman is right on Broadway .
Old 06-01-2009, 10:25 PM
Launching!

I know. I was there. Thanks, guys!
Old 06-01-2009, 10:28 PM
Launching!

You should check Jim Reed, they need someone there that understands the trans is not slipping, it's a high stall.

Last edited by PedaltoMetal; 06-01-2009 at 10:29 PM. Reason: can't spell
Old 06-01-2009, 10:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Grumpy5.3
good luck man!!!

just curious, how "certified" are you???

What do you mean? What areas? I'm ASE master, GM certified enough to do most all warranty work as far as mechanical repairs go. I'm not a GM master or even close to it, but I hold my own. I've taken a whole host of IDL and web based courses, and some hands on, but no evaluations. My GM credentials are 7 pages long, if that gives any indication.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:13 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by deadhorse66
What do you mean? What areas? I'm ASE master, GM certified enough to do most all warranty work as far as mechanical repairs go. I'm not a GM master or even close to it, but I hold my own. I've taken a whole host of IDL and web based courses, and some hands on, but no evaluations. My GM credentials are 7 pages long, if that gives any indication.
So you have not taken an assesments?Why not? I had a tough finding a job a year ago and I am a World Class tech.Good luck buddy.Go get your assesment done.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by anthony m
So you have not taken an assesments?Why not? I had a tough finding a job a year ago and I am a World Class tech.Good luck buddy.Go get your assesment done.
I havent taken any assessments either. Some dealers (like the one I work at) could give a **** if you are world class. Our closest training facility is now 5 hours away (Chicago). We had a training facility within 20 min of my residence but GM shut it down at the end of february. So now here is the cost breakdown for ONE assessment:

Hotel for one night - $80
fuel there and back - $70 (700 miles round trip, 25 mpg, $2.50/gal)
price of the assessment - $100
times 9 assessments for world class

Thats more than $2,200 that the dealer has to pay to get me world class certified. Does the dealer get anything? Nope. Do they make any more money? Nope. Do I get anything...probably not even a raise, but a wall plaque is all I think you get now.

The only way they could save money is if all the assessments were one day after another and made me stay out there for a week...still thats a large expense for any dealer right now with the way the economy is. Their theory is that you get all the training you need from the we-based, IDL, and hands-on courses....which is true, you dont really 'learn' anything in the assessments.

If they did offer to let me take them I would do it just as a personal goal.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

I hate doing them IDLs and web based courses.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:48 AM
Staging Lane

The dealer is not charged $100 when you take an assesment,or for any training at a center.If your dealer is telling you this they are full of it.Each dealer pays a fee every year for training,technicall assistance etc...If the dealer you work at does not feel that assesments are necessary find another one.In all honesty becoming "World Class" was a personal goal.It does make your resume look much better.I also will tell you that the assesments are no joke.You also need 8 assesments for "World Class" not 9.

Quick Reply: Certified GM technician seeking work in Nashville