Automotive Careers Looking for an automotive job or employees?

UTI,OTC, or wyotech? A good career for a former marine?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 06:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UTI,OTC, or wyotech? A good career for a former marine?

I been in the marines for some time about 4 years and getting out soon. I have a passion on working and building cars. From what I read about the automotive career... If I love it then don't make it a career.. With that being said I wouldn't mind being a marine diesel tech. Also I would like to stay around Ohio area because I personally miss my family. There is a UTI in Chicago, OTC is in cleveland ,ohio and a wyotech in PA. Those are the 3 schools I would like to attend and of those to I seem to like UTI.. UTI offer's some snap on tools upon graduation and seem to have higher expectations than the others. UTI also has a very great rep. OTC has edelbrock backing them up and seems to have a friendly staff and is very close to home, wyotech I only heard they have an really awesome motorcycle school from what I heard of and is the 2nd close's to my home. I'm sure there is a lot more difference in the three but I'm trying to highlight the best for me.. UTI +great school, +better rep,+ a lot of opportunities, + free tools but -far away -strict ... OTC +good name, +close to home, but - don't have a marine diesel dedicated class.. wyotech has a marine dedicated class to become a basic water craft tech. Anyone on lstech went to any of these schools? Please let me know how they are thanks
Old 03-04-2012, 06:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

talk to some students at OTC. i went to lincoln tech and its really what you put into it IMO. really how dedicated you are to learning and going thru school for automotive. when i started at Lincoln i was told half or more of the students in my first class will drop out by the end. it was true. i was one that finished my course. auto and management. the management course was ok but didnt help me much at all in the real world. i graduated in dec of last year.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

I originally wanted to open up a shop eventually... As you can see in my threads I do dang near built my car... and I wouldn't mind furthering my knowledge on high performance engine building.. But as far as career I heard marine diesel was the way to do.. I have about 2 more months before I pull the trigger on this.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:00 PM
Launching!

Look into University Of Northwestern Ohio. Their High Performance Motor Sports program is great. I am a recent graduate.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:36 PM
Teching In

ya look into northwestern I went to wyotech in blairsville it was a joke. They had students that got grants and what not that would never be able to get a job in the real world just going to school because someone is paying for it. Wyotech high performance program does not really go into engine building or chassis building they try to jam everything into one class and you get a idea about both. In my class i think two kids built motors and they had no motors for you to build to learn on.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:46 PM
12 Second Club

PMed you...

some details:
The PA school only does auto diesel (OTR trucks and light duty)
WyoTech students get a big discount on SNAP ON and a voucher when graduated.
Do A LOT OF RESEARCH

As you can tell i work at a tech school. It is deff what you make of it.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:54 PM
Teching In

i took auto chassis fab and street rod in blairsville don't waste the money the snap on tool deal is not that great either don't let them blow smoke up your a$$
Old 03-05-2012, 07:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thank's guys.. I already have a nice collection of snap on tools... but wouldn't mind more UTI 1000$ free snap on upon grad would be nice though. I won't join a school because of that though... I want a desirable location I could deal with, great school, and some good instructors... I don't mind build on engines... Hell I wouldn't mind tearing the vette apart again and do an complete overhaul as a curriculum.. I see it as a chance to make it a 408 I love to work on cars,trucks, because I see improvement in myself and my vehicles.. now to do it as a career I thank it would change that. Marine diesel seems to have the most potential in it then auto tech will have though. I feel like a kid again... all this candy I can pick but some are better then the other and yet a lot are so far away.. If I eat the same candy I would get tired of it and won't eat it anymore. Wow I just typed that...?
Old 03-05-2012, 08:01 PM
TECH Resident

Go to a real school where you credits will transfer over should you choose to continue your education down the line. I myself just graduated with my Bach in Automotive Tech from SIU. I know there are many others who go to SIU on here. If you want to become just a technician, save yourself alot of money and go to community college. Your instructors will have many connections in the community and can get you a job faster. I know many people who went to tech schools and half of them are not even working in the automotive field.

Like I said before, I just graduated in December, I had over 10 interviews with all the main big names in the industry. I am a contractor for Ford now. All of my other friends who graduated with me are now at Cummins, Eaton, Chrysler Chevy, Ally (GMAC)
Old 03-05-2012, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

SAM Racing! GI Bill will cover it. I have no desire to work on cars for a living but I have considered going to SAM when I get out of the military, just for the heck of it.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:18 PM
10 Second Club

I am an admissions rep for Universal Technical Institute for southern Indiana.
First let me address the statement about going to a regular college or community college.

We have over 30 manufacturers that have chosen UTI to train students to be technicians to work on their vehicles, and not one of them said they must have a degree. The curriculum was developed by the manufacturers and UTI. If you want a degree, you can transfer credits to Ferris State University in Michigan or attend the Avondale campus in Arizona.

Yes you receive a $1,000.00 voucher for snap on tools (at retail cost) but you also get ½ off all snap on tools while you are in school. You can also take refresher courses anytime you want at no cost.

Just as the commercials say, we are the industries choice in technician training. Like I said we have 30 different manufacturers including NASCAR that chose UTI. We are the only school to offer the Harley-Davidson PHD program, and we are the only way someone could become a Porsche technician in the U.S.

Some schools will enroll anyone with a pulse and an H/S diploma or GED. We don’t. Our retention rate is almost 70% and 4 out of 5 students find employment in their field of study. Those are amazing stats for any school. The reason we have those stats is because we take those that are not only willing to go to school, but are willing to graduate, and have the full support of their parents.

There is no high pressure to enroll, if the admissions rep feels you are the type of student UTI is looking for, and you feel that UTI is the right school for you; they will recommend you for UTI. If you don’t like what you hear, that is the end of the process.

As a matter of fact I am in Glendale Heights tonight for the campus open house. If you can ever make the trip to a future open house, you should check it out. I am confident you will be very impressed with what you see, and gain the understanding how UTI is different from the other schools.

Just so you know, the average cost of tuition is $29,645.00 which is pretty cheap when compared to a new Camaro or Vette, but as you know this is an investment.

If you have any questions please feel free to hit me up.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:29 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

UTI, Wyotec and Nascar tech inst are a joke. I have seen all 3 campuses and wouldnt give them the time of day, let alone my tuition money.

that being said, I went to The University of Northwestern Ohio. Located in Lima, Ohio. they have AG, Diesel, HVAC, High Performance, Auto and Alt fuels. all offered as associates degrees or just diplomas. Also, they have a Business side of the school and after you take your associates, you can enroll in the business side and turn it into a bachleors degree.

All the instructors are very experienced and knowledgeable. most either own their own machine/race shops or worked for one for years and years. I wouldnt have spent my money anywhere else.

UNOH is also the venue for the Jeg's Engine Masters Challenge, which if you are enrolled in the High Performance motorsports program, you will have the opportunity to work side by side with the top engine builders in the world as they dyno their engines.

They have dorms on campus, which at best are shitty and expensive, but gets the job done until you can find an apartment or w/e off campus, which are very plentiful.

UNOH has an open house coming up in June I beleive, i would definately suggest checking it out. Hit me up if you plan on coming. I still live in Lima even tho I graduated. I can show you around campus more than any admissions rep can.

www.unoh.edu

also, UNOH class sizes are never more than 20 students. most classes are broken into 2 separate classes (Electrical and Electronics I & II, HP Engine Machining and Custom Engine Building,) They also offer Class A CDL classes as well as chassis fab and welding classes.

The diesel side of the program touches on everything from heavy trucks to tractors to marine diesels. No doubt it is worth a look.

Last edited by bww3588; 03-09-2012 at 07:35 AM.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'll be heading up to ohio mid-late June so I'll have to take you up on your offer
Old 03-09-2012, 07:17 PM
Teching In

a admissions rep for uti or wyotech will tell you everything you want to hear. A thousand dollars worth of tools is nothing compared to what going to one of those schools cost. I went to wyo tech I learned some stuff but they talk it up. I sell used parts online for a living now I make way more money doing that then working at a dealership. Jobs in the high performance industry are hard to get because everyone wants them. If you want to work at a dealership you do not need a degree just get a job there and you will learn from others.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'll get the exact dates of the open house and let you know for sure.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by cgroh89
Go to a real school where you credits will transfer over should you choose to continue your education down the line. I myself just graduated with my Bach in Automotive Tech from SIU. I know there are many others who go to SIU on here. If you want to become just a technician, save yourself alot of money and go to community college. Your instructors will have many connections in the community and can get you a job faster. I know many people who went to tech schools and half of them are not even working in the automotive field.
What area of the automotive field did you get a bachelor degree in? I always just assumed that the mechanical engineering route was the only way to obtain a 4 year degree in this field. I mean, you can only take so many courses about the different areas of a car; unless there is a management side that makes up the extra 2 years of courses?

OP: That gift for $1000 in snapon tools isn't much if you think about how expensive and overpriced snapon tools are. That could go as far as 2 power tools.

Last edited by Bjorn20; 03-10-2012 at 12:05 AM.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:44 AM
TECH Resident

Yes, many colleges offer a Automotive management degree. I choose to go the route of electrical at my school and now thats what I work in. I also had a heavy parts background so I also went with the marketing/management stuff. Mine is just in Automotive Technology.

Ferris State,
Colorado State
UNOH
Southern Il University ( Can also take classes in Chicago)
College of Central Mo.

Are just some of the schools that offer Bachelor of Science degrees for all sorts of different areas in the field
Old 03-11-2012, 09:45 AM
TECH Resident

Also as long as your a student just about every tool company has a discount for you. Dont think that they are doing you any favors that its specific to one school. You can walk into Sears with your student ID and get a discount on Craftsman
Old 03-12-2012, 06:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Captain InsaneO
I am an admissions rep for Universal Technical Institute for southern Indiana.
First let me address the statement about going to a regular college or community college.

We have over 30 manufacturers that have chosen UTI to train students to be technicians to work on their vehicles, and not one of them said they must have a degree. The curriculum was developed by the manufacturers and UTI. If you want a degree, you can transfer credits to Ferris State University in Michigan or attend the Avondale campus in Arizona.

Yes you receive a $1,000.00 voucher for snap on tools (at retail cost) but you also get ½ off all snap on tools while you are in school. You can also take refresher courses anytime you want at no cost.

Just as the commercials say, we are the industries choice in technician training. Like I said we have 30 different manufacturers including NASCAR that chose UTI. We are the only school to offer the Harley-Davidson PHD program, and we are the only way someone could become a Porsche technician in the U.S.

Some schools will enroll anyone with a pulse and an H/S diploma or GED. We don’t. Our retention rate is almost 70% and 4 out of 5 students find employment in their field of study. Those are amazing stats for any school. The reason we have those stats is because we take those that are not only willing to go to school, but are willing to graduate, and have the full support of their parents.

There is no high pressure to enroll, if the admissions rep feels you are the type of student UTI is looking for, and you feel that UTI is the right school for you; they will recommend you for UTI. If you don’t like what you hear, that is the end of the process.

As a matter of fact I am in Glendale Heights tonight for the campus open house. If you can ever make the trip to a future open house, you should check it out. I am confident you will be very impressed with what you see, and gain the understanding how UTI is different from the other schools.

Just so you know, the average cost of tuition is $29,645.00 which is pretty cheap when compared to a new Camaro or Vette, but as you know this is an investment.

If you have any questions please feel free to hit me up.
Blow it out your *** I've seen the campuses and the tours. Funny what you say about some schools will take anything with a pulse and purse, because that was my "exact impression of NTI" Shops RUN from UTI grads.

I picked so many lies out of what these guys have told me, and I have inquired about the school twice several years apart; that I just could not believe it.

Your right about the kids going with the support of their parents because 80% of your enrolled population are probably kids that just picked UTI because they thought it would be cool and their parents will pay for it.

Last edited by My6speedZ; 03-12-2012 at 02:37 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Imstock2
I wouldn't mind being a marine diesel tech.
SUNY Maritime...they do have a 2 year tug boat engineering program...I am not a student but have heard great things about SUNY Maritime...I would recommend it to anyone, but you especially because you're A US Marine...
One downside is the regimental option...this is why you SHOULD go...great degree...plus most graduates actually get employed in this field

Quick Reply: UTI,OTC, or wyotech? A good career for a former marine?