Automotive Careers Looking for an automotive job or employees?

Who's gone to SAM

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 10:17 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ben ,

You answered all my questions. Thanks. When I am ready to place the deposit, I will call the school before hand.

R/

Jeff

Last edited by Fratsit; 01-12-2008 at 05:15 PM.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:19 AM
Staging Lane

well, i know what im going to be doing when i get out of the army

Whats the houston area like? ive never been to texas... is housing hard to get around there?
Old 01-12-2008, 01:11 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by nitrobee
It is a lot to take on all at once taking both classes at the same time. I personally took them back-to-back because I had to have a part-time job while I was in school. Taking them back to back also gives you a lot more shop time. But there are students taking both of them together as we speak and they're doing just fine. I guess ideally, if time were an issue, I would start the Block Class and then after a few months begin the Head Class. This would give you a chance to settle in and get a feel for how things work at the School and you would still be able to finish in 12-13 months.

We haven’t had any employers do anything like that. We have had a few employers that sent employees to the school and paid for it however.

Ben
713-683-3817
samracing.com
Thanks Ben. I was kind of thinking the same thing.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:40 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by matthewjernigan
well, i know what im going to be doing when i get out of the army

Whats the houston area like? ive never been to texas... is housing hard to get around there?
I personally like Houston now. I moved here to go to school from Michigan, and at first didn't care for it a whole lot. Probably just home sick, missing my friends and the familiarity of home. But now three years later, I love it here. We have everything you could want within a short drive, three dragways within 45 minutes (closest is about 20min from school) , the Gulf is about 45 min away, theres always something to do and the weather is great (if you like warm weather).

Cost of living is pretty cheap down here, especially compared to Michigan, I don't know how it is in your area.

Ben
713-683-3817
samracing.com
Old 01-12-2008, 11:45 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Fratsit
Ben ,

You answered all my questions. Thanks. When I am ready to place the deposit, I will call the school before hand.

R/

Jeff

Jeff
Originally Posted by Kurt
Thanks Ben. I was kind of thinking the same thing.

Anytime guys, if you have any questions feel free to contact me here, or you can call the school 713-683-3817.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:46 PM
Staging Lane

ben, i see your ss was stolen was that in houston or somewhere else?
Old 01-15-2008, 11:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MIDTOWNSS
ben, i see your ss was stolen was that in houston or somewhere else?
Houston
Old 01-16-2008, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i wanted to go to SAM, but i ended up wining 3 drag races that were scholarships to Lincoln Tech, of Indianapolis. so i went for free. Funny thing is, i work at a electric power plant now, lol.

I would have fit right in at SAM, thats for sure.

Charlie
Old 01-16-2008, 08:38 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

To answer the houston living issue we were in the same boat as Ben. When we moved here for Joe to attend same we hated it the first few months. Missed family, friends and hated the warm weather. 9 years later and owning our own business, HOUSTON ROCKS!!. SAM is the best place for learning and you won't regret it! Just watch out for the idiots that like to steal F-Bodys. It is like that anywhere though

Amber
Old 01-16-2008, 10:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hi Benjammmmmmmin.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:42 AM
Teching In

Hello Sir
Old 01-17-2008, 12:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by nitrobee
Hello Sir
PM Tony and get your name in Orange.

Nine Ball is the name.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Very interesting read of the threads. A few years ago I was looking at specialized trainning since up here none is availble for this trade. The more I looked into it the more I was excited but, then I started to hear bad things. Things like its a complete waste of money for the trainning you get. I inadvertantly managed to talk to a head machinist who worked for a sponser on this board (not naming names), anyways they had hired a graduate from SAMS. Apperantly he was let go because he didnt know his *** from his hand. That started to make me think twice, maybe it was a good marketing from SAMS??? Reading this thread makes me think otherwise. Maybe the things I heard were from disgruntled students and other. Still wished I would have taken a tour of SAMS, and actually seen it for myself. Unfortuantly thats not what stopped me, theres something in the registration process that will keep me out and I dont feel like bending over backwards to complete. The laws are a bit different here scholastic wise, and Im to old to start over. I still might like to go for a tour, I hear the BBQ is bad *** in Texas and Im pretty hungry...

Good luck to all the students
Old 01-17-2008, 04:22 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Not trying to step on bens toes but let me help you guys out a little.

You get out of it what you put in. If you are going because you have to or want to get out of your parents house and you party all of the time, you won't go far. If you study, work on the machines and apply what they help you learn, you could land in a great job. Anything from Everham to John Force. It is your tool and you must make what you can.

When Joe was in school there was one student whos parents made him go to college. 1/2 of the time he slept late, didn't attend all of his classes and didn't participate in the school outings to the track. He landed a kick *** job and when he got there had made it like he was the best. He didn't apply himself.

The school is awesome and we use our experience from there everyday. I am glad Joe choose the school and I am glad that I had the privilage of working there while he attended. I sure learned alot and I didn't have to pay.

Darn it now I guess I will have to send them tuition money for what I learned

Amber
Old 01-17-2008, 05:52 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Six Speeds Inc.
You get out of it what you put in. If you are going because you have to or want to get out of your parents house and you party all of the time, you won't go far. If you study, work on the machines and apply what they help you learn, you could land in a great job. Anything from Everham to John Force. It is your tool and you must make what you can.

Amber
perfectly said & straight to the point.

One thing that I think really makes student think twice about attending any school is the length of the course. It really goes by so quickly. When I looked into SAMS for the second time, I choose in the end to go to college to persue a mechanical engineering diploma. Point, I thought that taking 1.5 years out of my life again was too much, well Im in the third and last year now. It seems like someone hit the fast forward button. If anyone reads this and is thinking well any course it too long, its not. Any course you choose will be over before you know it, its almost scary.

Last edited by jester1; 01-17-2008 at 05:58 PM.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:57 PM
TECH Regular

I didnt want to post another thread and take up space, hopefully someone can chime in.
Can someone please post the names/tiles of the textbooks that SAMS uses?

thanks
Old 02-29-2008, 06:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mind you, if you DO take both the Head and Block course at the same time, you can Finish in 10 months, but you will be at the school from 8 to 5.
What perecentage of students are taking both courses at the same time?
Old 03-06-2008, 11:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

I figured I'd post up in this thread too - even though it's old it's better than taking up space in a new thread. . .can i take what i learn from SAM and apply it to forced induction systems? - Basicly if i took SAMs courses is there another school out there that focuses on forced induction systems too?

- Sorry i'm just now looking into this i would love to build racing engines SAM seems like the place for me. but I'm also wanting to learn more about tuning and forced induction aswell. . .

Quick Reply: Who's gone to SAM