Automotive Careers Looking for an automotive job or employees?

UTI Schools

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default UTI Schools

Hey guys, Im lookin at goin to UTI in houston in a couple years when my enlistment is up possibly. Im just wondering how the school and the training is and if anyone knows what a BMW, Benz or other brand like that pays and if its hard to get into their schools. I know this is very similar to the thread below me and I didnt really want to Hi-Jack his. what are the higher paying automotive careers? I have also looked at SAMs school in houston School of Automotive Machinists, little pricy but just lookin around since my GI bill can cover part of it anyway. any help would be well appreciated-Mike
Old 12-21-2007, 12:39 PM
On The Tree

I went to UTI in So Cal....I learned alot and advanced my career because of it. Lifetime job placement in the automotive field as well. If you choose to go to the manf programs you cant go wrong and will end up with a good career in time. You need perfect attendence/grades in order to get into Porsche and Bmw programs. I already had a job midway through school as an apprentice doing blower installs/suspension work etc...
Good luck whichever route you may choose !!
Old 12-21-2007, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

do you guys ever get burnt out on workin for other peoples crap because they are lazy?
Old 12-21-2007, 03:34 PM
12 Second Club

I currently attend Mercedes Benz Elite program, was a graduate if UTI in Orlando graduated with perfect attendance 4.00 GPA 5-6 Soc's, bla bla... I thought UTI was an alright school. Its not as good as they make it out to but but its definitively not as bad as some people say it is. I would say go take a tour at SAM because i had kinda wish i went there. The ties UTI has with Mercedes, BMW, Audi, and other manufactures would make it worth the money and time spent, other then that i would look for cheaper alternatives. Any specific questions go ahead and ask......
Old 12-21-2007, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

what does a mercedes or higher manufacturer tech make?
Old 12-21-2007, 04:56 PM
12 Second Club

Thats all going to depend on you and where you work. If that place has work or not. Take for example a big dealer in Cali your going to make 60-100K a year maybe more if your good. But the cost of living out there is a lot so they have to pay you that much. I would put it this way your going to make money at this profession or else people wouldn't be doing it. Your not going to make millions but you should have enough to have a very comfortable life style, and if you invest and save you should have enough for a nice 401k so you can retire. I have been told higher end tech's make more money but im not a tech yet so i couldn't tell you from personal experience. I will say this there is a lot more pride in diagnosing a C.A.N problem on the 221 (new S class) then there is doing a water pump on a Ford Focus. Another thing is up selling work. It is a lot easier telling a customer with money they need 500-1000 dollars worth of work on there car that makes an average 250K a year then it is telling that same estimate to one that makes 30,000... It takes a Different kind of tech to work on the higher end cars, but for me that is the only option. I refuse to work in a scum hole shop just being a parts changer guessing at problems. I have seen and heard so many horror story's of things that goes on in the lower end dealers that would make you sick. Dont get me wrong i Love F-bodys and Y-bodys but i would prefer to make my money on other vehicle's, not to mention working on those specific models all the time would be rare.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jditlfm
Thats all going to depend on you and where you work. If that place has work or not. Take for example a big dealer in Cali your going to make 60-100K a year maybe more if your good. But the cost of living out there is a lot so they have to pay you that much. I would put it this way your going to make money at this profession or else people wouldn't be doing it. Your not going to make millions but you should have enough to have a very comfortable life style, and if you invest and save you should have enough for a nice 401k so you can retire. I have been told higher end tech's make more money but im not a tech yet so i couldn't tell you from personal experience. I will say this there is a lot more pride in diagnosing a C.A.N problem on the 221 (new S class) then there is doing a water pump on a Ford Focus. Another thing is up selling work. It is a lot easier telling a customer with money they need 500-1000 dollars worth of work on there car that makes an average 250K a year then it is telling that same estimate to one that makes 30,000... It takes a Different kind of tech to work on the higher end cars, but for me that is the only option. I refuse to work in a scum hole shop just being a parts changer guessing at problems. I have seen and heard so many horror story's of things that goes on in the lower end dealers that would make you sick. Dont get me wrong i Love F-bodys and Y-bodys but i would prefer to make my money on other vehicle's, not to mention working on those specific models all the time would be rare.
thats what i been saying alot of people are always like you wont make no money and stuff like that. but its like there would not be so many people out there wanting to do it if you cant make enough money.
Old 12-22-2007, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks a lot guys!
Old 12-22-2007, 08:57 PM
10 Second Club

i graduated from uti in houston and currently for for a bmw dealer here in new orleans
i say go for it. bmw step is a good program and bmw,s are not hard to work on i average 45 to 60 hrs a week so its not a bad deal
Old 01-07-2008, 03:21 PM
Teching In

Dude Dont let these people lie to you, UTI Sucks , If you like being in a class room for 6hours a day Then go For it . There are so much better schools, Trust me man dont make the same mistake that i did
Old 01-10-2008, 08:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BlackBullittSs
Dude Dont let these people lie to you, UTI Sucks , If you like being in a class room for 6hours a day Then go For it . There are so much better schools, Trust me man dont make the same mistake that i did
unless your are 100% set on one of the UTI only manufacturer programs. do some homework and go elsewhere.

i did get a jaguar PACE? offer and didnt take it mainly because i didnt fell like looking at power point slides for another 6 months
Old 01-11-2008, 03:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds like this guy is butthurt because he didn't make the most of the school and didn't get accepted into a program. I honestly thought the school was pretty good for the most part. Yeah, any school is gonna suck to be stuck there for 30 hrs/week, but I don't know many other places where you can be at such a decent position for only a year's work.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

well right now Im in the Coast Guard and Im debating staying in and keeping my hobby or gettin out and makin my hobby work. just not exactly sure if I would lose my hobby because it feels like work. also I net 1850 every two weeks and i dont put in 60hrs a week unless im underway, then its a 24/7 deal...in the ocean...anyways what other good schools are there? and what do you guys normally make? I know it changes depending on the work schedule but i was wondering average.-Thanks mike
Old 01-11-2008, 08:09 PM
12 Second Club

Give me one reason why i would lie, like a dont have anything better to do then to make **** up about a school i went to. Get serious.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:21 PM
Teching In

Well i went to UTI and i thought it was a big wast of time , now im currently inrolled at school of automotive machinst and loved every minute of it. Im not going to say that i didnt learn anything at UTI Because I did Learn alot, But They care to much about the rules more Than anything, There electrical Program is great and that pretty much it. I think that what you spend there is not worth the education. THIS IS JUST AN OPINOIN
Old 01-22-2008, 11:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

lol yea me and wires dont get along!
Old 01-23-2008, 06:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by venomhp
well right now Im in the Coast Guard and Im debating staying in and keeping my hobby or gettin out and makin my hobby work. just not exactly sure if I would lose my hobby because it feels like work. also I net 1850 every two weeks and i dont put in 60hrs a week unless im underway, then its a 24/7 deal...in the ocean...anyways what other good schools are there? and what do you guys normally make? I know it changes depending on the work schedule but i was wondering average.-Thanks mike
Keep the hobby as a hobby and look at another career or stay in the Coast Gaurd. I sure wish I had taken that advice when it was given to me.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UNDERR8D
Keep the hobby as a hobby and look at another career or stay in the Coast Gaurd. I sure wish I had taken that advice when it was given to me.
Exactly, I was enrolled to go to UTI in Glendale Heights. I thought I had everything all planned out but then one day I was tinkering around on one of my Camaro's and I was like "wait a minute, I like to work on cars in my free time to help me settle down and take my mind off of things. If I worked on cars 8 hours a day and then came home I would be sick of working on stuff and become an asshat that pays people to do their work." So I didn't go. One of my friends did go to the UTI/NTI in North Carolina and he hated it. He came home after the first term. Said it was retarded and they treated you like highschoolers.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Just a heads up those german dealers don't usually make that kind of money . I worked for an acura dealer for 6 years that was linked with mercadies BMW and lexus and the the mercadies and bmw guys had a hard time makeing over 40 hours flate rate due to the fact they warrenty everthing . It just get difficult when you are try ing to beat warrenty time casue its usualy half reg time would pay .

Oh I am in NY so cali should be a little more but not much after 6 years I left and I was only in the low 50's . I am not saying its a bad field to get into ,I am very happy and currently working at an independet shop making a lot more money . I just wouldn't base the school you go to around the german dealer placement .

I don't know about UTI but I know wyothech has a great progam, not sure if there is one near you but if there is check it out . I wish I would have gone there .
Old 01-29-2008, 09:31 AM
Teching In

i went to the uti in pennsylvania and did the ford fact and mercedes-benz elite program.

as a mercedes tech i was making around 45,000 a year once i went flat rate

currently im a service advisor for a honda dealership making quite a bit more. not a bad business to be in

Chris

Quick Reply: UTI Schools