Automotive Careers Looking for an automotive job or employees?

Rotor Cutting Business

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 08:20 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rotor Cutting Business

My friend and I are thinking about starting a rotor cutting business for the local shops in our area who do not have a lathe. We would pickup and deliver the rotors to them. We already know the start up cost, how to advertise, and general aspects of running the buisness. But do you guys think there is money to be made in this?? We do have a Pep Boys and RandS that cut rotors for about $10 but they take forever...

I am a little skeptical but my friend thinks it will work. I mean $10-15 charge per rotor means alot needs to be cut to make money. Opinions please!!!! Thank you.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:23 AM
Staging Lane

doesnt sound like a bad idea, but i think you would need to be doing buisness with alot of shops to be making money. we dont have a lathe in our shop so we just replace rotors and make a little bit more money off parts.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:22 AM
11 Second Club

Any decent shop should have a lathe. Most are even going to an on-car lathe, especially dealerships.
Keep in mind most independent parts houses have lathes also.
Sounds like a good idea but 10-15 a rotor may be high.
The last shop I ran my local Napa did rotors/drums for us that i couldnt fit on my lathe for 5 bucks each. But we spent 12-15K a month in parts.
Just some food for thought.
Good luck
Josh
Old 02-15-2008, 12:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

to be honest I don't really see the money in it especially if you're going to make that the only part of the business. By the time you pick them up and drop them off you'll probably have $2-3 in gas plus another $2 or so in labor so there won't be very much profit. Most of the parts houses that do it are trying to bring in other business that they make more profit from by offering the rotor turning also, i.e. if you're needing the rotors turned you'll probably need brake pads and maybe some brake fluid.

Also, in todays world for your normal daily driver car rotors are only like $40 so most people just buy new ones instead of going through the hassle of having them turned. I know when I go to replace them on most of my cars I just go ahead and replace them.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:42 PM
TECH Regular

On Paper it might work, But we dont see many turnable rotors much any more on many of the car we work on. There either rusted to ****, with deep grooves. As of late every Huyndai that comes through the door needs the rotors cut off to get them off. Had a bunch of ford do it too!!!!!

John
Old 02-15-2008, 09:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

You may want to think about some kind of mobile business. I think that would be a good idea. Quicker turn around since you don't have to drive back to your shop and drive back. Also, you could get the business of the guys doing their brakes in their garage that don't have another vehicle to take their rotors in with.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

a mobile business would be sweet. but maybe not profitable. i usually replace the rotors strickly bc less material means less heat disappation.
Old 02-16-2008, 03:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

i wouldnt think it's a good idea. not enough profit margin.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:23 PM
Teching In

Food for thought .... moble would be the way to go, but add something else to your program ..... like repair ac hoses or power steering hoses shops are looking for those items as well when it take 3 to 4 hours to get or even over night a quick and quality repairs makes for fast turn around for there customers. Another program to add is possibly rebuilding floor jacks or air tools on the spot. Easy item to learn to fix and low over head.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:39 PM
On The Tree

Thanks guys. I needed input from you shop guys that have a garage and need to get rotors cut. I too was thinking about mobile as well. My friend is the business major who thinks it all out but I was the one that was skeptical since the profit is very small. Most rotors are cheap enough to replace but then some you can't get without special order or have to wait till the next day. Other services is a good idea. $10-15 a rotor is what the local guys charge to get them turned like Pep boys etc.. Ahh all in all seems like too much work and not enough money. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Rotor Cutting Business