Automotive Careers Looking for an automotive job or employees?
View Poll Results: What school
SAM School of Automotive Machinists
60.61%
Wyotech
9.09%
UTI
12.12%
Other
18.18%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Need input on automotive school. Graduates and businesses please look!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea i talked to the guys at a local shop that did my suspension and tires because i was going to see if i get get into their shop for an apprenticeship for highschool and they basically told me it would ruin it for me. he said he once was a car enthusiast too, but once he started doing oil changes and that type of thing it just became work and he really didnt enjoy it. he said he has to deal with pissed off people all day because something breaks on their car and they have to pay money for it, and most of the time they dont even know what it is or what it does which pisses them off even more. and then of course they want their car back right away and if something does go wrong or takes an hour or 2 or even more to finish, then that persons pissed that their cars not done. and all the other projects waiting to be finished or started get set back and that pisses off the rest of the people. which i do understand and if i was going to get into anything like this is would be the performance end of it so i can build engines for people that want me to do the work and and realize the work i put into it and that can appreciate that. in a dealership or small car service shop the customer just wants their car done and fixed and couldnt give a **** less about how much work and time you put into it. the trouble for me is finding a semi-local school to go to...S.A.M. is in texas right? thats just a little too far away...
Old 06-10-2008, 12:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lt1noob
yea i talked to the guys at a local shop that did my suspension and tires because i was going to see if i get get into their shop for an apprenticeship for highschool and they basically told me it would ruin it for me. he said he once was a car enthusiast too, but once he started doing oil changes and that type of thing it just became work and he really didnt enjoy it. he said he has to deal with pissed off people all day because something breaks on their car and they have to pay money for it, and most of the time they dont even know what it is or what it does which pisses them off even more. and then of course they want their car back right away and if something does go wrong or takes an hour or 2 or even more to finish, then that persons pissed that their cars not done. and all the other projects waiting to be finished or started get set back and that pisses off the rest of the people. which i do understand and if i was going to get into anything like this is would be the performance end of it so i can build engines for people that want me to do the work and and realize the work i put into it and that can appreciate that. in a dealership or small car service shop the customer just wants their car done and fixed and couldnt give a **** less about how much work and time you put into it. the trouble for me is finding a semi-local school to go to...S.A.M. is in texas right? thats just a little too far away...
That is EXACTLY what it is like to work in a dealership.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

man lemme tell you, i went through LTI, and it was a joke. the school was way too easy. I got a job at a ford dealership and was supposed to learn the ways of the automatic transmission. I was really excited about it untill i saw the atmosphere at this place. I hated the guys i worked with, because they hated their jobs. nobody was in a good mood, ever. the guy i had training me was a real ********, and expected me not to make any mistakes, and to be able to knock out an r and r job in 2 hours my first time around. so needless to say i didnt stick around there long.

that's just from my personal experience, i'm sure there are a lot of guys that really like it out there. now i'm selling parts
Old 06-19-2008, 10:05 PM
Teching In

Well here is a different twist. I graduated from Indiana State University with a Bachelors degree in Automotive Technology years ago (More years than I want to admit). It is the best thing I ever did. I liked school and I learned a lot. While still going to college I started working for THE Car Company. I still work for them today; love my job and make decent money.

Indiana State University Auto Tech program today is ten times better than when I went there. They now have a Motorsports minor in which they build and campaign a couple of drag cars. There are also other Universities in which you can get a 4 year Auto tech degree. Weber State University in Utah, Ferris State College in Michigan and Southern Illinois University in (it is obvious where it is) to name a few. In my opinion if you want to make cars a career and want to get the best education THIS IS THE WAY TO GO!

As far as me going fast......... well part of the story is here!

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/tur...-baaaaack.html

BTW most of this I build and TUNE myself!

Best of luck.

Last edited by DFast1-SS; 06-19-2008 at 11:00 PM.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:12 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DFast1-SS
Well here is a different twist. I graduated from Indiana State University with a Bachelors degree in Automotive Technology years ago (More years than I want to admit). It is the best thing I ever did. I liked school and I learned a lot. While still going to college I started working for THE Car Company. I still work for them today; love my job and make decent money.

Indiana State University Auto Tech program today is ten times better than when I went there. They now have a Motorsports minor in which they build and campaign a couple of drag cars. There are also other Universities in which you can get a 4 year Auto tech degree. Weber State University in Utah, Ferris State College in Michigan and Southern Illinois University in (it is obvious where it is) to name a few. In my opinion if you want to make cars a career and want to get the best education THIS IS THE WAY TO GO!

As far as me going fast......... well part of the story is here!

BTW most of this I build and TUNE myself!

Best of luck.

Thanks for the input but the link doesn't work.
Old 06-20-2008, 04:47 AM
Teching In

I am sorry it does not work for you. I tried and it works for me.

Quick Reply: Need input on automotive school. Graduates and businesses please look!