Automotive Careers Looking for an automotive job or employees?
View Poll Results: What school
SAM School of Automotive Machinists
60.61%
Wyotech
9.09%
UTI
12.12%
Other
18.18%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Need input on automotive school. Graduates and businesses please look!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 12:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need input on automotive school. Graduates and businesses please look!

I am looking into getting into the automotive industry. My story right now is I am almost 26 and have been working in a factory for over 5 years. I want something I enjoy coming to work for. The job I am at is a far cry from that. I have a freind on here that would like to go to school too and we are trying to get some advise from graduates and employers. My plans are to get into performance engine building and eventually open my own shop. We have looked at info for schools like Wyotech, SAM, and UTI. I understand that you get out what you put in and I plan on giving it 100%, but I need to find out what school would be the best choice for what I want. I want to focus on engine building, forced induction, and nitrous. Any and all help would be greatly appretiated!
Old 04-23-2008, 05:48 PM
Teching In

I went to SAM and am now a graduate and employee of the school and all I can say is if it’s High Performance and Engine Building your looking for then I encourage you to come check SAM out, sit in on class, take a tour of the facility. The whole curriculum is focused on high performance theory, design, machining, assembly and tuning. SAM covers all aspects of engines from naturally aspirated 9600rpm small blocks, nitrous assisted big blocks, turbo motors, blower motors, fuel injection, you name it. SAM graduates are working with the best in the industry, Warren Johnson Enterprises, John Force Racing, Hendrick Motorsports, Joe Gibbs Racing just to name a few. If you have any questions at all feel free to contact me.

Ben Bee
School of Automotive Machinists
ben@samracing.com
713-683-3817
Old 04-24-2008, 12:24 AM
On The Tree

Thank you for your input. I am planning on coming to visit your campus. I am glad to hear that you can sit in on a class and see what it is actually like. I will be calling you soon. Thanks again.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:17 PM
Banned

Did you ever think of checking out MIT?
Old 04-25-2008, 11:00 PM
12 Second Club

i voted for SAM im starting in sept. i have freinds that have gone to wyotech and uti and didnt realy come out with all the job ops that they expected and didnt have anything but line tech stuff available for them my .02
Old 04-26-2008, 08:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

I went to UTI and wouldn't recommend it for what you're trying to do. I worked hard and was able to land a career with Mercedes-Benz, which I love, but it's not what you want. UTI and Wyotech will get you a career at a dealership they have nothing available from the schools for the racing side. There is NTI (Nascar tech institute) which may be a little more of what you want, and I've heard good things about SAM from this site.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:05 AM
Teching In

I'm currently enrolled in UTI and I can tell you first hand that if building engines and getting into the performance oriented side of the automotive industry is what you really want to do, stay far away from UTI and Wyotech. They are strictly diagnostic and repair oriented and are geared for dealership techs.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:37 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ls1kraut
I'm currently enrolled in UTI and I can tell you first hand that if building engines and getting into the performance oriented side of the automotive industry is what you really want to do, stay far away from UTI and Wyotech. They are strictly diagnostic and repair oriented and are geared for dealership techs.
That's what I was thinking. Thanks for your input.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:52 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nitrobee
I went to SAM and am now a graduate and employee of the school and all I can say is if it’s High Performance and Engine Building your looking for then I encourage you to come check SAM out, sit in on class, take a tour of the facility. The whole curriculum is focused on high performance theory, design, machining, assembly and tuning. SAM covers all aspects of engines from naturally aspirated 9600rpm small blocks, nitrous assisted big blocks, turbo motors, blower motors, fuel injection, you name it. SAM graduates are working with the best in the industry, Warren Johnson Enterprises, John Force Racing, Hendrick Motorsports, Joe Gibbs Racing just to name a few. If you have any questions at all feel free to contact me.

Ben Bee
School of Automotive Machinists
ben@samracing.com
713-683-3817

Agreed.... i also graduated and have my own shop now... SAM is the place to go.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:13 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are there any pre requisites to get accepted into SAM? I've been pondering getting out of the Air Force, and getting into the automotive industry.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:10 AM
Launching!

SAM if you want to get into the performance industry. If you want to work in a dealership, GM ASEP or FORD ASSET Programs are very good. I work in a dealership and went throught the GM program. You come out with much more knowledge than if you started out as someone's helper. We have had some UTI guys at the dealership I work at and everyone of them changes oil or does pdi, none of them have been techs. I don't believe in that school one bit especially considering the cost. The GM ASEP and FORD ASSET programs are co-op based meaning you have a job at the dealership you work at while your in school and when you graduate. If you want a performance career, SAM is the way to go. I know a few people who went there and heard nothing but good things about the school.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

stick with sam if you wanna build engines, i went to UTI, and now i build drag racing engines, i was lucky enough to do what i'm doing. UTI a big NO!
Old 05-22-2008, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

im kind of wondering about this also, does anyone know any schools in wisconsin? or at least somewhat near wisconsin?
Old 05-23-2008, 01:32 PM
Teching In

you can also check out UNOH.edu its the school i attended and im woking for thunder racing now, its a good school with plenty of options
Old 05-24-2008, 11:03 AM
On The Tree

i was wonderinga bout this topic also. i have another year of highschool and wanna do something with cars. manily gm cars. lsx and lt1.lt4. i looked as SAM UTi and Wyotech and SAM is about as close as it gets for me to do what i wanna do. building engines. if any of you know any other schools that are along those lines that would be great.
Old 05-25-2008, 08:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've been out in the field for about 2 years after graduating from UTI. I absolutely hate what I do and I dread getting up to go to work every morning. UTI was a huge waste of money. The school is way to easy. I graduated with a 4.0gpa and 100% attendance. They treat you and train you like you are a dumbass while going to the school. They have to deal with a lot of people that are there because mommie and daddie said they had to do something after highschool.

Working in a dealership almost everyone that comes in has a bad attitude. They are mad because their daily driver broke down and they have to pay money to fix it. They want it fixed ASAP and are bitter about having to pay. People hate to pay for something when they don't even know what it is or what it does. It seems like there is no way to make people happy. You are just there to figure out what is wrong with it and replace the part causing the problem.

My dream was to work in a performance shop doing custom work for people. Always doing my best and hopefully making a name for myself. I figure the people that come into a performance shop are normally in a lot better mood. They know what they are buying and they can look at your work and see how much effort you put into it. This seems like a much more satisfying job. Maybe one day...
Old 05-27-2008, 04:13 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Small_Block_GTO
you can also check out UNOH.edu its the school i attended and im woking for thunder racing now, its a good school with plenty of options
I went there also, and am now working at a leading supercharger manufacturer. I also worked at LPE right out of college and spent a few years working on Nitro Funny Cars on the NHRA tour. I would definitely recommend going to University of Northwestern Ohio!
Old 05-28-2008, 10:01 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lt1noob
im kind of wondering about this also, does anyone know any schools in wisconsin? or at least somewhat near wisconsin?
+1! I would really like to move back to Wisconsin. I am originally from there but I don't want to sacrafice a good education just to move back.

Originally Posted by Black01M6SS
I've been out in the field for about 2 years after graduating from UTI. I absolutely hate what I do and I dread getting up to go to work every morning. UTI was a huge waste of money. The school is way to easy. I graduated with a 4.0gpa and 100% attendance. They treat you and train you like you are a dumbass while going to the school. They have to deal with a lot of people that are there because mommie and daddie said they had to do something after highschool.

Working in a dealership almost everyone that comes in has a bad attitude. They are mad because their daily driver broke down and they have to pay money to fix it. They want it fixed ASAP and are bitter about having to pay. People hate to pay for something when they don't even know what it is or what it does. It seems like there is no way to make people happy. You are just there to figure out what is wrong with it and replace the part causing the problem.

My dream was to work in a performance shop doing custom work for people. Always doing my best and hopefully making a name for myself. I figure the people that come into a performance shop are normally in a lot better mood. They know what they are buying and they can look at your work and see how much effort you put into it. This seems like a much more satisfying job. Maybe one day...
This is exactly why I want to get into the performance end! I want to enjoy going to work! Hopefully you can get to the performance side before you become sick of cars altogether.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Black01M6SS

this is why im kinda hesitent about going to UTI. and this is why i want to work in a performance shop. because ill be helping/working/around people that know what im doing and aren't just like what is that. what does that do. and i wouldn't get bored with it. and would look forward to go to work each day.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:23 AM
Staging Lane

You know, I hear a lot of people complaining about uti, and I think it has to do with what your expectatios are going in, and what youre willing to put into it. It is true that they are VERY dealer oriented, and their performance engine building classes range from pretty basic to just nonsense (superstreet class? lets learn how to put a CAI on!). However, I got in to the VW academy and am now in the field working at a vw dealer, and I think its all been a great experience. I was able to get a job working at a firestone while i was in school, which i highly recommend if you want to work on cars definately get some experience at the very least changing tires or oil or whatever you can get your hands on, it puts you ahead of the game when you graduate by so much its unmeasureable. I think another problem people have going into tech school is they expect to graduate making 30 bucks an hour or owning their own shop or whatever else. It seems to me in this field you have to work your way up a bit, have realistic expectations, do you think a big speed shop with a big name is going to hire you if you have no experience at all and have never had a wheel off a car except in your own driveway? all in all i highly recommend going to a trade school, definately shop around and find the school that best fits your interests.

I know I love going to work every morning much more than ever before. yeah theres bs, customers wanting their trainwreck of a car fixed in a hurry and for no money, service writers that give into them. doing a warranty job that pays 4 hours that takes you 6. but all in all i enjoy it, doing what i love, turning some wrenches. youll make up for that sassy customer when you get someone that really appreciates the craftsmanship you put in, and that time you got screwed on warranty youll make up for on a gravy brake job or service or whatever, youll make your money. but thats just my experience at a dealer, i have no experience with a speed shop. I just know I enjoy being able to put the hood down and say to myself that the car is fixed right and if it were my car id be pleased, all i can hope for is the customer feels the same.

Quick Reply: Need input on automotive school. Graduates and businesses please look!