Automotive Careers Looking for an automotive job or employees?

My days are numbered!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 02:15 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My days are numbered!

Took a few days off, went to the US Nationals. Went through some race shops. Had a friggen blast....

The owner of the dealership tells me today, I shouldn't have gone. No one is permitted to plan anything during the end of a month.

Gosh, I didn't know I was that important.

Well Don, you do know a week from this Thursday I am leaving again? Going to a racing event down south. Well, we'll see he says.

You're damn right we'll see. Between now and next Wednesday evening I'll do my job, nothing extra. Next Thursday through Tuesday I'll be gone. You let me know on Wednesday if you want me back I said.

I wanted to work longer. I wanted to see the new Camaro. I wanted to be around for Chevrolets 100th. I don't own this place I am not married to this job. We'll see who wins this one!!

Jakes Dad
Old 09-02-2008, 05:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ouch man, I work at a dealership too and I just worked three 9-7 or longer shifts in a row to finish up the month. I also work a 9-9 tommorow for the last day of the company's month. **** the end of the month.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:32 PM
TECH Resident

Im not to into the dealer thing but am wondering why it is busier?
Old 09-02-2008, 10:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

All incentives at dealerships end on the last day of business the month typically so there is an extra push to get people who were in on vehicles to buy before the incentives either leave or increase(less likely.) There is usually a lot of paperwork at the end of the month that has to be finished and if it isn't all hell breaks loose. But mostly we love to suffer

Originally Posted by cgroh89
Im not to into the dealer thing but am wondering why it is busier?
Old 09-03-2008, 11:36 AM
Banned

Yes, I understand the end of each month there is an effort in this industry to work harder.

When I came here I confirmed many things. Thursdays I had off because that was track day until Jake the wonder pup was no longer permitted at the track.

I was told approximately how many hours I would work. I knew at closing if we had customers I was required to stay and close the deal while many other went home. NO PROBLEM. I confirmed how many vacation days I had. When the wife had a new knee installed, I required the five children to be with her during the day.

I haven't used all my vacation days yet. In February, I marked the office calendar with the times I wanted off. As I found other events I wanted to attend, I added those dates. I resent the fact anyone thinks one day is different from another. When someone is here they are expected to work. If you sell one car or more each day you don't need to scramble at the end of the month.... GM has all these friggen sales during holidays. Fact is, GM doesn't work during the holidays.

What will life be when I am out of the car business? Fun, full of events and family life. I enjoy it here. I look forward to working. Because I always tried to sell one or more cars or something each day. I don't need to work today. I don't need to touch my investments to live. Wednesday can't come fast enough!!

I hope GM makes it. I wish you all good luck. I only ask one thing. THINK for yourself.

Jakes Dad
Old 09-03-2008, 11:07 PM
Teching In

If you have the time, they shouldn't be able to tell you when you can and can't take it. Unless there's a scheduling issue with someone else's vaca.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:40 AM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I feel for you guys. I really do.

I spent 20 years to the month in New Car Dealerships myself. All Service Dept. Driveability, Tranny, Light Line, A/C, Electrical, Shop Foreman, Service Writer... you name it I did it.

Oh the stories I could tell. Reading this took me right back into those memories.

Good Luck guys.

g
Old 09-04-2008, 01:48 PM
TECH Addict

almost sounds like the resturant bizness,,,,almost cause those folks work ya 7 days a week, 10 to 15 hours a day,,at least the Apple did to me, 6 years of that and i got out,,,im still in shock about the time i now have for my family, myself....etc.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:36 PM
TECH Resident

working at a dealership sucks although there are few nice benefits.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:49 AM
Banned

Hopefully this industry will last.

It's such a farce. Since 2000 when I returned to the industry. I've worked for Chevrolet, Mazda, Nissan, Kia, Suzuki, and Honda. These were all new car sales. I quit Chevrolet and Mazda because the GM lied and the owner backed him over me. That GM eventually screwed the owner big time. Just like I said when I left he would do.

I quit the other brands because the managers were full fledged drunks.

The real farce are the surveys and managment. GM can tell you how many foks leave your dealership and buy elsewhere. You over come that by having a member of management talk to EVERY CUSTOMER. But most don't like direct contact with customers. Next biggest hang ups are trade value and credit. A manager has hundreds of internet references, places they can go when evaluating a trade. They have reports for auction sales. Yet 90% of the time they low ball. Get a reaction - No, see if we can FXXX the customer, the real attitude. The sales associate has only spent an hour building a relation ship. "Lets see how we can FXXX that up" management. Credit is an issue but sales associates aren't permitted to interview customers. A good sales associate will see what a customer drives on the lot in. They should stilll ask what they drive now, when selecting the next vehicle. Next question, how long have you had it? Where is it financed? A good sales associate knows good banks and credit challenged banks by name. That takes three min.

Then every manufacturer sends a survey after every new car sale. Question #14 on GM's. Are you completely satisfied? Hell no, I didn't get what I wanted for my traded. But the sales associate over came that. I waited 30 min for the trade value because management wants to slow the customer down. I waited over an hour to see the business manager. When I received my car it wasn't clean. So, hell no I am not completely satisfied. THE SALES ASSOCIATE DIDN'T DO THEIR JOB................... We'll beat everyone up at the next sales meeting. You people are worthless. Now have a great week and keep selling.

Thats why this job, 2-1/2 years, was in used cars. Selling snow flakes - individual used cars, all different, with different prices, in different conditions
That was fun. But it's just about over!

Like I said before - enjoy - have fun - be safe - I am out of here soon.

Jakes Dad
Old 09-06-2008, 06:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jakes Dad
Hopefully this industry will last.

It's such a farce. Since 2000 when I returned to the industry. I've worked for Chevrolet, Mazda, Nissan, Kia, Suzuki, and Honda. These were all new car sales. I quit Chevrolet and Mazda because the GM lied and the owner backed him over me. That GM eventually screwed the owner big time. Just like I said when I left he would do.

I quit the other brands because the managers were full fledged drunks.

The real farce are the surveys and managment. GM can tell you how many foks leave your dealership and buy elsewhere. You over come that by having a member of management talk to EVERY CUSTOMER. But most don't like direct contact with customers. Next biggest hang ups are trade value and credit. A manager has hundreds of internet references, places they can go when evaluating a trade. They have reports for auction sales. Yet 90% of the time they low ball. Get a reaction - No, see if we can FXXX the customer, the real attitude. The sales associate has only spent an hour building a relation ship. "Lets see how we can FXXX that up" management. Credit is an issue but sales associates aren't permitted to interview customers. A good sales associate will see what a customer drives on the lot in. They should stilll ask what they drive now, when selecting the next vehicle. Next question, how long have you had it? Where is it financed? A good sales associate knows good banks and credit challenged banks by name. That takes three min.

Then every manufacturer sends a survey after every new car sale. Question #14 on GM's. Are you completely satisfied? Hell no, I didn't get what I wanted for my traded. But the sales associate over came that. I waited 30 min for the trade value because management wants to slow the customer down. I waited over an hour to see the business manager. When I received my car it wasn't clean. So, hell no I am not completely satisfied. THE SALES ASSOCIATE DIDN'T DO THEIR JOB................... We'll beat everyone up at the next sales meeting. You people are worthless. Now have a great week and keep selling.

Thats why this job, 2-1/2 years, was in used cars. Selling snow flakes - individual used cars, all different, with different prices, in different conditions
That was fun. But it's just about over!

Like I said before - enjoy - have fun - be safe - I am out of here soon.

Jakes Dad
I am gonna beat you to the punch. I dont think I ever posted this in this forum but I wrote a letter of harrassment to the company about my sales manager cause he was just over the top with the bullshit. My GSM although he doesnt do anything illegal is just a grumpy *****. Its like hes learned whats leagal/illegal just to abuse the **** out of us legally. We just set a store record for total sales AND total gross.. and hes all up one side of us and down the other this morning in the meeting calling us weak sucks and ****.

I posted about it before writing the letter in another forum but I dont think I got into as much detail about it on this forum

http://forums.maxima.org/off-topic/5...-tomorrow.html

Good to hear others hate surveys just as much as we do. Btw we're off to a strong start this month.. I have yet to talk to a person on the phone/or in person. I got my mind elsewhere though. I've already taken 3 interviews and I plan on taking quite a few more and get out absolutly ASAP
Old 09-06-2008, 06:35 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by *98TransAm*
working at a dealership sucks although there are few nice benefits.
There are 0 benefits to working at a dealership... and no most of the time you dont get to take a car home. Hell even when I met the sales requirement to get a demo.. they still screwed me and told me it wasnt in my contract.. even though it was well known I needed to sell 15 cars 3 months in a row.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:53 PM
TECH Resident

I really feel for you guys... I couldn't imagine trying to make a living out of this with the ups and downs in today's world of auto sales.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:55 PM
TECH Resident

... wrong post
Old 09-07-2008, 05:55 PM
TECH Regular

Man I feel for ya JakesDad, I took a week off when my son was born (BTW his name is Jake). I got MF'ed by my Gsm for not being there at the end of the month. WTF! My Gsm knew exactly how to make you feel like the most insignificant p.o.s at any time he felt like it. I was always in the top 3 for units and I was #1 in C.S.I and grosses. I sometimes consider going back to sales for the money, but stories like this always remind me of what it's really like. Fck that I work 7:30 til 4-5 and Sat. off I barely get by every month, but I get by. I miss the money but I don't miss sitting on the floor at 6pm Christmas eve trying to close two Indians on a $50 mini. F-em you have sales expierence, that is one the most important traits you can have in any career. You are always selling something everyday, whether its selling yourself into some girls pants or selling yourself to your workers to get them to do something. I never regret doing it for 5 yrs, I've learned so much about people, but there is so much B.S involved. Good luck with whatever you end up doing.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:33 AM
Banned

Might change my mind after all the yard work I did Sunday. Car business is easier.

I even sold the 55 desk after confirming the kids didn't want it. I'll never be in the car business again..... In two years I plan on have the house here sold. Then, it's one year in an apartment until the wife retires. Then we are headed to mountains for good.

I think the original comments made by the owner were made to confirm who worked for who. Then, it became a well FXXX YXX contest. Anyone in any business can always be replaced. I know that. That's not the problem. How a person treats thier wife isn't my business. She can always look elsewhere. I think the owner felt I liked the job enough and could be pressured to do things I didn't want to do. sorry wrong!

One good thing, running out of excuses why I can't attend the LS shoot out. Jake would enjoy the ride. How do you hide a 90# dog is the only issue.

Jakes Dad
Old 09-08-2008, 11:00 AM
11 Second Club

Might change my mind after all the yard work I did Sunday. Car business is easier.

I even sold the 55 desk after confirming the kids didn't want it. I'll never be in the car business again..... In two years I plan on have the house here sold. Then, it's one year in an apartment until the wife retires. Then we are headed to mountains for good.

I think the original comments made by the owner were made to confirm who worked for who. Then, it became a well FXXX YXX contest. Anyone in any business can always be replaced. I know that. That's not the problem. How a person treats thier wife isn't my business. She can always look elsewhere. I think the owner felt I liked the job enough and could be pressured to do things I didn't want to do. sorry wrong!

One good thing, running out of excuses why I can't attend the LS shoot out. Jake would enjoy the ride. How do you hide a 90# dog is the only issue.

Jakes Dad
So if you leave the car business where are you goin?

I'm looking at technology industry and also medical devices.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sciff5
So if you leave the car business where are you goin? "Eventually I'll be going to hell. First, I have a trip planned to ZMax. Some folks will think this is a new drink I am trying. Or, a new retirement home. It's neither!!" Jakes Dad

I'm looking at technology industry and also medical devices.
"They recently figured out when I quit. They won't have enough managers to cover the week. Well then hell, I guess the OWNER can cover until they find someone or the other managers won't get a day off. Sorry, about your damn luck!" Jakes Dad
Old 09-08-2008, 03:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

End of month, end of quarter, end of year, it's all
about the guys who did nothing but count coins
the whole time, realizing too late they need to look
better than they are. It's in every industry that has
"evolved" to being run by & for the bean counters.
Good luck finding one that isn't run this way...
better luck in just getting to a less jacked-around
job function perhaps.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:33 AM
11 Second Club

"They recently figured out when I quit. They won't have enough managers to cover the week. Well then hell, I guess the OWNER can cover until they find someone or the other managers won't get a day off. Sorry, about your damn luck!" Jakes Dad
How long have you been in the business?

Quick Reply: My days are numbered!