Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Jeremy Clarkson tests Nissan GT-R

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 12:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeremy Clarkson tests Nissan GT-R

Pretty fair review. Gives the car appropriate credit, misrepresents the HP figure, calls the car ugly, etc. All in all, I like it.

http://honda-portal.com/honda-videos.php?video_id=1159
Old 11-05-2008, 02:20 PM
10 Second Club

Talking

Clarkson: "it looks like it fell into the ugly fire and they put the flames out with sledgehammers"
Old 11-05-2008, 03:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Clarkson: "it looks like it fell into the ugly fire and they put the flames out with sledgehammers"
+1

-----------------------

I am not really surprised to be honest.

When you go from a human driving the car to total computer control why not add a video camera and just let the car drive itself?
Old 11-05-2008, 07:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

I nevered liked the looks of these but it looks ok in black--much better than the silver ones I've seen. Don't quite get the traction control thing. If you turn it off it voids the warranty--but doesn't seem to make any difference. Sure glad they added that feature!

Personally, a big part of driving a sporty car is to actually learn to drive and control the vehicle. I pulled the master fuse for traction control out of my car and tossed it. What's the point of having a computer do it all for you? Those systems have their place for safety but not as a way of life--especially on a race track.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CW00BlackTA
I nevered liked the looks of these but it looks ok in black--much better than the silver ones I've seen. Don't quite get the traction control thing. If you turn it off it voids the warranty--but doesn't seem to make any difference. Sure glad they added that feature!

Personally, a big part of driving a sporty car is to actually learn to drive and control the vehicle. I pulled the master fuse for traction control out of my car and tossed it. What's the point of having a computer do it all for you? Those systems have their place for safety but not as a way of life--especially on a race track.
It will not void the warranty if the tc is turned off. The black box is enabled and it records data. If Nissans feels like launch control was abused and resulted in damage, then they can deny warranty. In the owners manual, it clearly states what lc is to be used for and that is for being stuck in: (mud, ice)

You have to go through a sequence of options to enable lc.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 25psi
It will not void the warranty if the tc is turned off. The black box is enabled and it records data. If Nissans feels like launch control was abused and resulted in damage, then they can deny warranty. In the owners manual, it clearly states what lc is to be used for and that is for being stuck in: (mud, ice)

True and during launches that is where you are going to tear up stuff. It is just the reality of getting the LARGE MASS of any car moving in the small times we demand.

Virtually all cars are most vulnerable at launch. It is an overrated deal
Old 11-05-2008, 11:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 25psi
In the owners manual, it clearly states what lc is to be used for and that is for being stuck in: (mud, ice)

Why would anyone launch a car in the mud? If the transmission breaks, they will not cover it. If you use launch control even once you know they will use that to void the warranty on it.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

fair my *** he practically drooled over that thing. He was fully expecting in the 10th season that the GTR would be the best vehicle of 2008, and he didn't want to seem like a hypocrite. But you could tell a few times that he was kind of disappointed.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:36 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like a fun car to me. I just don't like the styling.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:04 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by unit213
Looks like a fun car to me. I just don't like the styling.
Oh I'm sure it's a lot of fun to drive and I don't even mind the styling/looks too much...it's the pricing (inflated gouging) and extreme obesity of the thing that turns me off.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I really don't like the exhaust/sound it makes. That's a big part of any performance car IMO. Plus it looks like smashed ********.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Great review. I agree with him cause cars personality is as important to me as numbers.

W
Old 11-07-2008, 11:36 AM
Banned

Best Clarkson quote to date: "It didn't arouse my wedding vegetables"

Quick Reply: Jeremy Clarkson tests Nissan GT-R