Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

10 Cars That Sank Detroit

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 7998
You are
and how do you figure that one? because i proposed a question that you either A) do not want to answer or B) dislike the notion of those manufactures being considered American?

I fail to see how my sexual preference is even a relevant part of this conversation? unless it has to do with the reason why the big three auto manufacturers are failing and if that is the case, please proceed... you have my attention!
Old 11-19-2008, 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

In the 150-acre terminal where Toyotas are unloaded, there is a sea of Corollas, Camrys and RAV4s. The mere presence of so many cars is not unusual, given that Toyota brings in 250,000 cars a year in biweekly shipments. But in a sign that something is amiss, dozens of tractor-trailers that transport new cars to dealers sat empty last week amid the rows of Toyotas.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/19/bu...=1&oref=slogin

American made my um ok, that is just one port. They make some here, but not most.
Give me some time, I am taking adoption classes tonight, to get a child out of foster care. I will find the Honda numbers, but you guys who say they make tons here aren't going to like it.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by My1st Truck
American made my um ok, that is just one port. They make some here, but not most.
Give me some time, I am taking adoption classes tonight, to get a child out of foster care. I will find the Honda numbers, but you guys who say they make tons here aren't going to like it.

I don't disagree that lots of these are imported. While at it though, might be worth while to check how many of the big 3's vehicles are produced outside of the borders.

Simply would be interested to know.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:19 PM

In the 150-acre terminal where Toyotas are unloaded, there is a sea of Corollas, Camrys and RAV4s. The mere presence of so many cars is not unusual, given that Toyota brings in 250,000 cars a year in biweekly shipments. But in a sign that something is amiss, dozens of tractor-trailers that transport new cars to dealers sat empty last week amid the rows of Toyotas.

Best of luck on the adoption! that is a great thing that you are doing.

And yes i do realize that not all of the vehicles are produced in the USA, but i was unaware of the numbers (didn't do my homework) so with that said i do understand that the majority is still made outside of the US borders.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:05 PM
Teching In

buy imports,,so send your hard earn money to japanlet get rid of trolls like started this thread
Old 11-19-2008, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by texas twister
buy imports,,so send your hard earn money to japanlet get rid of trolls like started this thread
you know what? i will send my hard earned money over to japan... what difference does it make? majority of our big business outsources labor anyways! so until the value of the dollar drops to the point where it becomes fiscally responsible to stop exporting labor i see no difference in purchasing an "American made car" that is produced in Mexico compared to a Japanese car produced in Japan.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The marketing of the vehicles is also wrong, the research analysts really are not in tune with the cars specific target profile. For the Camaro and Challenger R/T what is the guy thinking about who really wants one? He(or she) wants the car because it's supposed to be a musclecar, not a real comfortable daily commuter. Holding true to the heritage of these cars means selling a car that most guys couldn't care less for loading it with options. They think that the only way to make money is on the options "packages". Well you ain't making money on the options if the car sits on the lot because it costs too much, then you have to offer discounts and rebates to get rid of it. These two cars should be available the way many of us believe it needs to be sold. For those with the deep pockets who like all that stupid stuff that ends up having problems, yes make a car fully loaded and sell that SRT8 for 50k. Most of want the car for the love of it being what it's supposed to be, a raw unadultered MUSCLECAR. It will most likely be a seasonal vehicle(toy) that we only drive once in a while. Put the V8, 6spd, posi drivetrain in it. I don't need the Active handling system, ABS, Low tire sensors, etc. etc. The only things I need are AC...ok maybe cruise control. Some of us for all intensive purposes do not even care for a big warranty because we're probably going to want to start adding our own things that would void it anyways. Remember when the HEMI roadrunners and such never came with a warranty? That 20 or 30 some year old looks at the sticker on the car and can't justify or afford $34k plus for a toy but make a stripper and kick it out the door for $24K he might do whatever it takes to get it. These cars are toys so market them as such, not as a sporty car that everyone will hopefully buy just because they can make it a really comfortable car you "could use everyday".
Old 11-19-2008, 06:34 PM
TECH Addict

What ever happened to GM's electric car? The EV-1, i think it was called.

I know there was a documentary on it, i've just never seen it....
Old 11-19-2008, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by supercharged024
The marketing of the vehicles is also wrong, the research analysts really are not in tune with the cars specific target profile. For the Camaro and Challenger R/T what is the guy thinking about who really wants one? He(or she) wants the car because it's supposed to be a musclecar, not a real comfortable daily commuter. Holding true to the heritage of these cars means selling a car that most guys couldn't care less for loading it with options. They think that the only way to make money is on the options "packages". Well you ain't making money on the options if the car sits on the lot because it costs too much, then you have to offer discounts and rebates to get rid of it. These two cars should be available the way many of us believe it needs to be sold. For those with the deep pockets who like all that stupid stuff that ends up having problems, yes make a car fully loaded and sell that SRT8 for 50k. Most of want the car for the love of it being what it's supposed to be, a raw unadultered MUSCLECAR. It will most likely be a seasonal vehicle(toy) that we only drive once in a while. Put the V8, 6spd, posi drivetrain in it. I don't need the Active handling system, ABS, Low tire sensors, etc. etc. The only things I need are AC...ok maybe cruise control. Some of us for all intensive purposes do not even care for a big warranty because we're probably going to want to start adding our own things that would void it anyways. Remember when the HEMI roadrunners and such never came with a warranty? That 20 or 30 some year old looks at the sticker on the car and can't justify or afford $34k plus for a toy but make a stripper and kick it out the door for $24K he might do whatever it takes to get it. These cars are toys so market them as such, not as a sporty car that everyone will hopefully buy just because they can make it a really comfortable car you "could use everyday".

I agree completely...

To be honest, each manufacturer has some very solid marketable cars that are competitive and promising money makers but the oversaturation really crowds the marketability of their true "diamonds in the rough"
Old 11-19-2008, 11:46 PM
10 Second Club

Question

Originally Posted by TheRival
Does that mean you will buy a vehicle from Toyota and Honda as they are both American Made cars?!
Hmm, on a related note, will those out there who are HELL BENT and entirely fixated on buying ONLY import brand named vehicles consider a Chevrolet Aveo or even a Pontiac G8 because they're not produced on American soil?

I guess those selectively convenient biases and loyalities swing both ways huh?

There are those that believe that buying a Toyota or Honda does no harm to our domestic auto industry (and there are also PLENTY, like myself, that believe it does) but the jury is still out on that one.
What I do know is though that the guy buying a Saturn Sky, Michigan built Silverado/Sierra or a Mustang certainly IS NOT doing any harm to the domestic auto industry so we at least know that his conscience is clear.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:49 PM
10 Second Club

I hear ya on this one.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Give me some time, I am taking adoption classes tonight, to get a child out of foster care.
I wish someone had done that for me. Instead I got stuck with the douchebags that were in it for the money. Just be ready to give it all you've got.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Hmm, on a related note, will those out there who are HELL BENT and entirely fixated on buying ONLY import brand named vehicles consider a Chevrolet Aveo or even a Pontiac G8 because they're not produced on American soil?
I hope this is not directed towards me because i have no bias either way on which vehicle i purchase. i hope i have proven that with the fleet i use for my company (ALL AMERICAN). my personal vehicle is not american.

I guess those selectively convenient biases and loyalities swing both ways huh?
what selectively convenient biases? i am not loyal to any car manufacturer?

There are those that believe that buying a Toyota or Honda does no harm to our domestic auto industry (and there are also PLENTY, like myself, that believe it does) but the jury is still out on that one.
What I do know is though that the guy buying a Saturn Sky, Michigan built Silverado/Sierra or a Mustang certainly IS NOT doing any harm to the domestic auto industry so we at least know that his conscience is clear.
i am not disputing the fact that purchasing a vehicle other then from the big three will most definitely HURT the domestic auto industry (that is not being disputed) what i am saying is that they need to fail, we need their poor business practices to go by the way side and make way for the new up and comings. whether it still be labled as a "ford/chevy/dodge" it does not matter, but the business model that is in place now must be changed. The only conceivable way for it to change is for them fail...not be given an extra life line...to waste our time and money with... So don't give me the anti American bullshit as i am just as much an American as anyone else. I have over $250K in American machinery in my yard as well as supply my city with over 100 jobs. So tell me again why my conscience should be tainted because i purchase a vehicle other then an American one and i preach good business practices?
Old 11-20-2008, 09:43 AM
Teching In

i am not disputing the fact that purchasing a vehicle other then from the big three will most definitely HURT the domestic auto industry (that is not being disputed) what i am saying is that they need to fail, we need their poor business practices to go by the way side and make way for the new up and comings. whether it still be labled as a "ford/chevy/dodge" it does not matter, but the business model that is in place now must be changed. The only conceivable way for it to change is for them fail...not be given an extra life line...to waste our time and money with.
Agreed. Re-arranging a business is sometimes a necessary evil that most people hate. In the short term people will lose jobs. But it is necessary for those companies to once again become self-sustaining and to succeed. If the GOVT bails them out and they are allowed to continue down the same path, they will run into these same problems not too far down the road. It's better to lose some jobs now and allow the company to re-build a solid foundation to provide more jobs down the road, rather than try to keep those jobs now and end up killing the whole company.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone ban this kid. He is a store full of tools.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
Someone ban this kid. He is a store full of tools.

LOL ban me? under what criteria? for having an opinion other then yours! haha this forum is great!

P.S. I love how i am being portrayed as a "kid"
Old 11-20-2008, 10:44 AM

Also i would like to know how many people are reading this thread who are sitting back and thinking to themselves, "I agree with TheRival" and not posting. I hope it is a lot because the blatant ignorance on this forum is frankly quite astounding.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:19 AM
TECH Regular

^^^Rival: I think they just made you the scapegoat here. You make very good points and are obviously well educated. You have done no bashing, even though everyone seems to want to take cheap shots at you for stating your point of view. Isn't that the point of threads such as these? To get varying opinions and debate them accordingly?

It's almost made out to be your fault entirely that the Big 3 sucks at general business practices. Personally, I love GM's products, but they have not made the best business decisions over the years. I've only bought two cars in my life so far, a '93 saturn SC2 and my 2001 Z28. Never had any complaints between the both of them. To each his own however. I know plenty of people who will NEVER own a American made car, but I also know plenty of people (including myself) who will only be interested in an American car. Maybe I'm naive or ignorant, but I love my Chevy's!
Old 11-20-2008, 11:20 AM
On The Tree

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Also i would like to know how many people are reading this thread who are sitting back and thinking to themselves, "I agree with TheRival" and not posting. I hope it is a lot because the blatant ignorance on this forum is frankly quite astounding.
Everyone has valid points in this thread. Nothing to see here.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by dankl
^^^Rival: I think they just made you the scapegoat here. You make very good points and are obviously well educated. You have done no bashing, even though everyone seems to want to take cheap shots at you for stating your point of view. Isn't that the point of threads such as these? To get varying opinions and debate them accordingly?

It's almost made out to be your fault entirely that the Big 3 sucks at general business practices. Personally, I love GM's products, but they have not made the best business decisions over the years. I've only bought two cars in my life so far, a '93 saturn SC2 and my 2001 Z28. Never had any complaints between the both of them. To each his own however. I know plenty of people who will NEVER own a American made car, but I also know plenty of people (including myself) who will only be interested in an American car. Maybe I'm naive or ignorant, but I love my Chevy's!
My fiance owned a 1998 cavalier until last year when it finally died with 120K. it was great little car. I am also a HUGE fan of the corvette as well as the Camaro. I only wish that GM would produce a truck capable of towing upwards of 17,000lbs so i could get rid of my F350 Super Duty Duallie as it is not my favorite vehicle i have ever owned.

and yes it is true that i am the cause of the big three failures!!! debating can be enjoyable when both parties are civil such as yourself! i respect your opinions and like to learn as much as possible!

Last edited by TheRival; 11-20-2008 at 11:44 AM.

Quick Reply: 10 Cars That Sank Detroit