Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Edmunds Full-Test - Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Korea's Camaro and Mustang Competitor

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 12:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like, but they should have installed the V8 from the Genesis 4-door. Now that would be really fun and an exciting option to Camaro/Mustang/Challenger.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Guess you aren't old enought to remember where Toyota, Honda, and Nissan (Datsun) came from"

I was thinking the same thing but didn't want to look like an old geezer

W
Old 02-27-2009, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jimmy169
Not impressed with the numbers, I think the 370z will be much more interesting competition.
Ummmm the 370z is 1.5 seconds quicker. Magazines have already tested it at 13.3 at 107. Not even close.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
The 4cyl turbo Genesis starts at $22k and will arguably be a better performance bargain than the V6 model as far as modability is concerned. The V6 Genesis starts at $25k, and definitely has more in it than a 14.5. The 98mph trapspeed should tell you that. And remember, this is tested by Edmund's. So like I said, this car is going to throw an interesting 4th option in the new ponycar wars.
Since when was a turbo 4 better 'modability' wise than the GM DOHC DI 3.6? People are getting 300+hp out of just intake and exhaust. There is supposedly alot left in the tune due to DI also. At just 1 mph lower in the quarter on a considerably heavier car (and .1 et faster), I think even the v6 Camaro is more than competitive with the v6 genesis. The 4 cyl genesis is going to get stomped in stock form.

I'm going to have to say the higher displacement DI motor is going to have much more potential than a little turbo 4.

GM motors>>>>hyundai motors.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:27 PM
TECH Regular

I'm curious what the weight difference will be between the turbo 4 banger and the v6 because I'm more interested in the potential of the turbo 4 cylinder.

Originally Posted by Chadder

I'm going to have to say the higher displacement DI motor is going to have much more potential than a little turbo 4.

Now that's interesting because where you see no potential I see a boost controller, possibly some fuel mods, and maybe a more efficient intercooler depending on what's offered stock. Maybe a bigger downpipe, 3" exhuast, and if that get's old, maybe some race gas on track days and another few turns of the boost controller.

Have to wonder what your opinion is of dsm's and evo's, sti's, srt's, etc? You believe n/a v6's have more potential?

Last edited by jimmy169; 02-27-2009 at 02:36 PM.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:38 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 25psi
Ummmm the 370z is 1.5 seconds quicker. Magazines have already tested it at 13.3 at 107. Not even close.
Exactly, I meant more interesting competition for the v8's like a stock auto srt-8 challenger. Although I really don't like magazine test time's, I think it's prob around there though.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:16 PM
Launching!

Now that's interesting because where you see no potential I see a boost controller, possibly some fuel mods, and maybe a more efficient intercooler depending on what's offered stock. Maybe a bigger downpipe, 3" exhuast, and if that get's old, maybe some race gas on track days and another few turns of the boost controller.
For the v6, I see intake, exhaust, a tune, and possibly some boost. The Nissan VQ has already seen 6's in the quarter mile and the GM DI v6 has a relatively similar architecture.

Have to wonder what your opinion is of dsm's and evo's, sti's, srt's, etc? You believe n/a v6's have more potential?
More displacement (on a well engineered platform) =more potential, it's physics.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:26 PM
TECH Regular

The Nissan VQ has already seen 6's in the quarter mile and the GM DI v6 has a relatively similar architecture.
And so has a little turbo 4 cylinder, brent Rau in his dsm but that car has a tubed chassis, even more interesting is Shep's 7 second pass in his manaul awd dsm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwNzbcEXudE (no nitrous.)

Man that's weard, i mean it's just a little turbo 4 cylinder, maybe the hyundai will also have similar architecture.

Last edited by jimmy169; 02-27-2009 at 04:10 PM.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:00 PM
10 Second Club

At our test track, the 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track hits 60 mph in 6.4 seconds (or 6.1 seconds with 1 foot of rollout as on a drag strip) and goes through the quarter-mile in 14.5 seconds at 97.9 mph.
It's nothing short of epic. Truly something special.
That's shock; a mainstream media outlet blinded by their love of imports.

So the Genesis does at 30k what the new Camaro can do at 22k? Sounds like a great bargain to me
Exactly right.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:02 PM
Launching!

And so has a little turbo 4 cylinder, brent Rau in his dsm but that car has a tubed chassis, even more interesting is Shep's 7 second pass in his manaul awd dsm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwNzbcEXudE (no nitrous.)

Man that's weard, i mean it's just a little turbo 4 cylinder, maybe the hyundai will also have similar architecture.
You're missing my point. This has less to do with proving a turbo 4's (which no one has even touched or modded yet) potential than it is acknowledging the v6's.

Besides, it is a well known fact that (as far as street cars are concerned) higher displacement engines can make higher amounts of horsepower more reliably. Very few people daily drive 600+hp 4 bangers relative to the amount of people that daily drive v8's at the same hp level.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:11 PM
TECH Regular

You're missing my point. This has less to do with proving a turbo 4's (which no one has even touched or modded yet) potential than it is acknowledging the v6's.

Besides, it is a well known fact that (as far as street cars are concerned) higher displacement engines can make higher amounts of horsepower more reliably. Very few people daily drive 600+hp 4 bangers relative to the amount of people that daily drive v8's at the same hp level.
Ok here's the simple reason why I agree with the other guy that the turbo 4 banger will prob. be the better bang for the buck and have better potential (I was just playing around before ). You say you can throw on some boost like it's that simple, I think that's a big waste of money. The v6 won't have the best and more suitable compression for forced induction, so you'll be throwing who knows how much on a kit that you can't get much potential out of without doing internals, where as the stock turbo 4 banger should already have nice safe low compression for forced induction so it'll be a lot easier to upgrade if you know the right mods, a boost controller is cheap as hell you just need the right fuel mods to keep it safe. With the v6 bolt on's and cams and etc won't respond as well as they would in a v8, and i've already stated why i think forced induction would be a waste of money, or atleast a lot more money than you prob. think, but ofcourse with enough money the sky's the limit, but potential wise aspecially bang for the buck I think there's a good argument to be made for the 4 banger, but then again we don't have any info on it yet, lol.

edit:
Besides, it is a well known fact that (as far as street cars are concerned) higher displacement engines can make higher amounts of horsepower more reliably.
Wow I can't believe your using this childish old excuse. Ofcourse, take money constraints out of the picture and the sky's the limit.

I'll tell you what, you've just won me over with this argument, idk what I was thinking, good work kiddo. There's no getting anything by you.

Last edited by jimmy169; 02-27-2009 at 04:19 PM.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:20 PM
***Repost Police***

Since when was a turbo 4 better 'modability' wise than the GM DOHC DI 3.6? People are getting 300+hp out of just intake and exhaust. There is supposedly alot left in the tune due to DI also. At just 1 mph lower in the quarter on a considerably heavier car (and .1 et faster), I think even the v6 Camaro is more than competitive with the v6 genesis. The 4 cyl genesis is going to get stomped in stock form.

GM motors>>>>hyundai motors.
I was talking about the 4cyl Genesis vs. the V6 Genesis. And Hyundai will make the wise decision and wait to see how the car sells before deciding whether or not to drop the V8 in it.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:24 PM
Launching!

edit:

Wow I can't believe your using this childish old excuse. Ofcourse, take money constraints out of the picture and the sky's the limit.

I'll tell you what, you've just won me over with this argument, idk what I was thinking, good work kiddo. There's no getting anything by you.
I had a pretty reasonable post going until you added this. Thanks for becoming a douchebag. In street cars reliability counts for something.

Irunelevens: Ok. That makes more sense.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:32 PM
On The Tree

Something is not right here...hmmm.

The car weights 3488lbs,has 308hp and yet gets 14.5's....sound like this car is not even close to it's potential.I know more factors come into play in determining a car's 1/4 mile but this seems way off to me

I expect atleast high 13s at best.

The car handles great though.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by El es one
Something is not right here...hmmm.

The car weights 3488lbs,has 308hp and yet gets 14.5's....sound like this car is not even close to it's potential.I know more factors come into play in determining a car's 1/4 mile but this seems way off to me

I expect atleast high 13s at best.

The car handles great though.
The car deploys an anchor and a parachute every time you shift with lots of throttle. Like beginners torque management.

The thing no one has mentioned yet and should scare the domestics is this is Hyundai's first true sports coupe. Just think what they'll accomplish in a mid cycle update or second generation.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:21 PM
TECH Regular

I had a pretty reasonable post going until you added this. Thanks for becoming a douchebag. In street cars reliability counts for something.

Irunelevens: Ok. That makes more sense.
Sorry, i always assume the worst when reading the internet, bad habit. I just can't stand that argument, when I owned my dsm I'd get that all the time, "no replacement for displacement," drove me nuts, also was prob the reason I had to buy an ls1 to see what all the fuss was about. There's a lot more you have to consider when it come's to reliability, the engine isn't all that can go wrong with a car. A car could have an amazing powerplant with loads of potential, but what about it's driveline, what if that's ****, it's tranny, rear, you name it, those things add up and your car is only as good as the weakest link. But back to the hyundai, I stand by my statement about the compression being suitable for forced induction so it's not so simple to add FI to a n/a v6, I'm curious about your response. If you do the math, I think the turbo 4 banger will have more potential, and better bang for the buck, if we're talking stock internals and basically bolt on or fuel related mods, even all top end mods, the turbo'd car should be easier, cheaper, and respond a lot better to mods.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:46 PM
Launching!

I'm curious about your response.
My response? Well, I may come back to this post a little later and elaborate, I'm walking out the door, but here's my response:

Boost isn't the only power adder out there
Old 02-28-2009, 12:11 AM
TECH Junkie

I would be interested to see what the I4 could do. I wish the new camaro had a cheaper model with a TC I4. I think it could sell well.

W
Old 02-28-2009, 12:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Looks like the Genesis beat out the G37 according to Autoblog in a test.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/02/27/h...first-compari/
Old 02-28-2009, 09:49 AM
TECH Regular

My response? Well, I may come back to this post a little later and elaborate, I'm walking out the door, but here's my response:

Boost isn't the only power adder out there
Well it'll be interesting to see what the fanbase does with it when it come's out, but in todays economy idk if I'd expect much to be done with a brand new car but who knows maybe some shops will get right to work on both.

Quick Reply: Edmunds Full-Test - Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Korea's Camaro and Mustang Competitor