Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Edmunds Full-Test - Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Korea's Camaro and Mustang Competitor

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 12:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation Edmunds Full-Test - Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Korea's Camaro and Mustang Competitor

Hyundai Builds a Rear-Drive GT

Not only did Hyundai nail the styling on this 2+2 coupe, the ride and handling dynamics are pretty sophisticated, too.

By Erin Riches, Senior Editor Email
Date posted: 02-24-2009

306-horsepower 3.8-liter V6 - 6-speed manual gearbox - 14.5-second quarter-mile at 97.9 mph - 68.2-mph slalom speed

Our 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track is painted Bathurst Black. That's Bathurst as in Bathurst 1000, a 620-mile (1,000-km) race on Australia's Mount Panorama Circuit, a 3.9-mile road course with 23 turns, grades of up to 16 percent and a 1.2-mile-long straightaway named Conrod Straight after a spectacular engine failure endured by racer Frank Kleinig in 1939.

Only heavily modified Ford Falcons and Holden Commodores in the V8 Supercar series (Australia's take on NASCAR) race at Bathurst today, so there's no obvious connection to the unassuming black clearcoat on our V6-equipped 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track.

But as we drive the 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe, we can imagine Hyundai's chassis engineers fine-tuning the ride and handling of their first rear-wheel-drive coupe on the demanding Bathurst circuit. Probably the cost constraints of building a $30,000 car don't allow for working holidays Down Under. Yet the 2010 Genesis Coupe isn't some soggy two-door version of the Hyundai Genesis luxury sedan.

Instead you'll find a very capable chassis underneath the 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track's arresting bodywork. Hyundai's sport coupe might not be track-ready out of the box, but it doesn't wither when we pitch it into Bathurst-like turns on lumpy two-lane roads.

More GT Than Track

About the only complaint we'd level is that the Genesis 3.8 Track coupe doesn't feel aggressive enough for a car with Track in its name.

Of course, with "Track" in its name, you expect the 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track to have an edge to it, as if its chassis has been tuned to the limits of its potential.

But on back roads and at our test track, our Bathurst Black coupe is easygoing almost to a fault. Perhaps Hyundai executives weren't quite comfortable with the idea of sending a true track-day weapon down the assembly line. After all, even in basic trim, the 2010 Genesis Coupe is the highest-performance car the company has ever built.

So think of the Track, which is the top trim level on U.S.-market 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupes, as a sport package. For a starting price of $30,250, our 3.8 Track comes with higher-rate springs, firmer dampers and stiffer antiroll bars than the base Genesis 3.8 and 3.8 Grand Touring models. And then there are the 19-inch wheels with 225/40R19 front and 245/40R19 rear Bridgestone Potenza RE050A summer tires, a Brembo brake kit with fixed four-piston calipers at each corner, a Torsen limited-slip rear differential, and a front strut-tower brace.

Come late March, you'll also be able to get the 2.0T Track, which combines all of the above with the turbocharged four-cylinder engine, or the Genesis R-Spec coupe ($24,500), which is a 2.0T Track, less trivialities like a sunroof, spoiler, foglights, Bluetooth, cruise control, trip computer and metallic interior trim.

Poking Its Soft Underbelly

Compared to other sport coupes, its reactions are slower, and brake pedal bite isn't as immediate as it should be with Brembos.

The R-Spec will be the lightest of the 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupes and as such, likely the best starting point for track use.

Yet the first thing we notice about our 3.8 Track coupe is just how light and unencumbered it feels transitioning through turns on Lake Hughes Road. Remember we're talking about a rear-drive V6 coupe with a 111-inch wheelbase, a 63-inch front track and a 63.6-inch rear track.

It tips Inside Line's scales at 3,488 pounds versus the 3,549 pounds we quoted for the Korean-market version. The similarly sized Infiniti G37 weighs 3,715, while the Nissan 370Z, which is 15 inches shorter, weighs 3,359 pounds.

Compared to not only these coupes but also the similarly priced BMW 128i, the 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track reacts to your inputs in slower, softer fashion. Although decently weighted for most situations, the steering feels a bit dull and overboosted when you're running hard. And although the Genesis coupe's 68.2-mph slalom speed is respectable, the others range from 1 mph faster through the cones (128i) to a full 3 mph faster (G37).

Similarly, the 3.8 Track coupe's Brembo brakes are effective, stopping the coupe in 111 feet from 60 mph at our test track. However, pedal bite is less immediate than we'd like on a car with those famous red calipers.

Can't Keep a Good Car Down

The Genesis coupe is the kind of car that makes you want to go for a good, long drive. It's the kind of car Hyundai has always needed.

Still, there's no denying that this 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe turns in like no other Hyundai before it, and does so with far less body roll besides.

There's also no denying that the Genesis coupe is simply a fun car. From the laterally supportive driver seat, you can tell there's ample front-tire grip, so you get back on the throttle early to tease out the tail. Certainly, you can throttle-steer any rear-wheel-drive car, but not many make it feel this accessible and safe.

We think of Bathurst as the Genesis coupe stays composed over midcorner bumps. Our test car doesn't fidget much over the grooved concrete slabs of L.A. freeways, either — an about-face from the poor ride we observed on Korean highways. Perhaps these Bridgestones are better than the KDM Hankooks. Or perhaps Hyundai has retuned the suspension.

Excellent sight lines are rare in coupes, yet the Genesis has a good view in all directions, so no excuses for not looking far down the road and no need for the 3.8 Grand Touring's back-up sensors. Were it not for the lack of a telescoping steering wheel, the driving position would be perfect, too.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Hyundai's 3.8-Liter V6

Hyundai significantly modified its 3.8-liter V6. The intake manifold is new, the crankshaft and conrods are lighter, and the block itself is stronger.

Although it's agreeable enough in the Azera and the Genesis sedan, we never would have imagined that Hyundai's workaday 3.8-liter V6 could work in a performance car. But it does. And in addition to a long, flat torque band, it has a big, hairy, lovable exhaust note.

Of course, 306 horsepower at 6,300 rpm and 266 pound-feet of torque at 4,700 rpm don't come free, and Hyundai has made extensive changes to its double-overhead-cam V6.

As in the Genesis sedan, this V6 has variable intake and exhaust valve timing and a two-stage intake manifold. However, Hyundai altered the intake to meet the tidier packaging requirements and higher performance thresholds for the 2010 Genesis Coupe. The new exhaust system is less restrictive, and the engine calibration is revised, undoubtedly to improve top-end performance.

In addition, the crankshaft and connecting rods are lighter, benefiting both performance and fuel-efficiency. To help the engine withstand nontraditional Hyundai drivers, wider crankshaft journals, a thicker engine block and piston-cooling oil jets have also been fitted.

The V6 comes with either a six-speed manual or a six-speed automatic transmission. You can rip off snappy downshifts with the manual gearbox, and what it lacks in direct mechanical feel, it makes up for in day-to-day ease of use.

But Hyundai Doesn't Quite Trust Us

Our other concern is an odd drivetrain protection feature that's triggered during hard upshifts. It makes the car feel slower than it should.

At our test track, the 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track hits 60 mph in 6.4 seconds (or 6.1 seconds with 1 foot of rollout as on a drag strip) and goes through the quarter-mile in 14.5 seconds at 97.9 mph.

Those numbers are fine, but short of Hyundai's "under 6 seconds" 0-60 claim and suspiciously pokey for a car with more than 300 hp. The overweight G37 is over half a second quicker through the quarter-mile at 13.8 seconds at 102 mph, even with 330 hp at its command. Also consider that the 128i, which is 300 pounds lighter than the Genesis but down 76 hp, easily keeps up, recording a 14.3-second quarter-mile at 96.5 mph.

It's impossible to say exactly why the Genesis coupe isn't putting up better numbers. But we do know that there's a torque-reduction feature on this car that would suck some of the fun out of Conrod Straight. Accelerate hard in 1st gear and then do a hard upshift to 2nd at or just before the marked 6,500-rpm redline. You'll get your upshift, but as the revs drop back, you'll feel an additional, artificial cut in power. It lasts for about 3 seconds.

Hyundai says this is a drivetrain protection measure that's triggered at 6,800 rpm (the engine's true redline). However, the car's tachometer lags behind actual engine rpm, so it takes trial and error to find a shift point that keeps you out of the protection zone. Oddly enough, you don't get any intervention until you actually complete your upshift — you can ride the engine to the rev limiter with impunity.

"There's some talk about minimizing the delay, so that it's maybe just a second, but nothing has been signed off," Miles Johnson, Hyundai communications manager, tells us. "The car is going to market with the 3-second calibration."

Even a 1-second delay compromises acceleration, though. Moreover, the automatic torque reduction makes it difficult to get a smooth gearchange at even two-thirds throttle, as it exacerbates the drivetrain lash already present due to the Genesis coupe's soft engine mounts.

Seriously Good for $30K

The driving position would be perfect if the steering wheel telescoped. The steering wheel looks leather-wrapped but isn't, and the stitching cuts into our thumbs in the 9-and-3 position. The buttons and dials are large, but the center stack layout is still chaotic. A navigation option is coming midyear.

Although the 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track's torque-reduction feature drives us up the wall, it's hardly surprising that automakers' executives are nervous given the recent controversy surrounding the Nissan GT-R's transmission.

And, really, this is the one major flaw on a car that's otherwise easy to drive quickly on back roads, yet refined enough not to be annoying during your commute. Would we prefer sharper overall reflexes? Definitely, and the aftermarket should see to that.

It's also true that we might ultimately prefer the more athletic engine and purer handling of the BMW 128i. But it would probably be tougher to get a 128i the way we want it (i.e., with the Sport package) without straying from the $30,000 mark. And for $30K, there isn't a better rear-drive sport coupe than the 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track. Well, at least not until we try the R-Spec.

Its basic shape may be cribbed from the Infiniti G37, but the 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe has a character all its own.

MSRP of Test Vehicle: $30,375

What Works: Feels lightweight and nimble through corners; composed highway ride; 3.8-liter V6's strong torque and bass-tone exhaust note; supportive front seats; unusually good sight lines for a sport coupe.

What Needs Work: Drivetrain's torque-reduction mode activates on hard upshifts; overboosted steering; no telescoping steering wheel; so-so interior materials; poor access to backseat.

Bottom Line: Not as hard-edged as some competitors, but Hyundai's sport coupe is easy to drive quickly on a back road, yet compliant enough for everyday use.

Second Opinion

There's a four-piston, fixed Brembo caliper at each corner. Each front tire is a 225/40R19 Bridgestone Potenza RE050A; the rears are 245s.

Inside Line Editor in Chief Scott Oldham says:
Hyundai has just reinvented the affordable performance sport coupe in America. The rear-wheel-drive Genesis coupe is nothing short of a seismic shift in what the buyers of such machines will expect for their hard-earned $25,000 or so. Cars like the Chevy Cobalt SS, Honda Civic Si, Mitsubishi Eclipse GT and Volkswagen GTI just became so last year. Stick a fork in all those front drivers, they are done.

By building a well-assembled, small-engined, affordable, rear-wheel-drive coupe Hyundai has gone where Mazda and Nissan refused. This is the SR20 Silvia guys have been building in their garages for 10 years, only it has satellite radio, stability control and a 100,000-mile powertrain warranty. You've seen the Super Bowl commercial by now, the one with Rhys Millen drifting the snot out of a yellow Genesis coupe around Road Atlanta; well, it's no bull. This car can do that.

It's nothing short of epic. Truly something special.

Overstated? Not even close. The Genesis coupe really is that good. Perfect? No. The steering can use a little more feel and the spongy rubber bushings in the shifter have to go, but for the price, this is the car to buy.

And for Mitsu, Chevy, VW and Honda, it's back to the old drawing board.

Performance

0 - 30 (sec): 2.4
0 - 45 (sec): 4.3
0 - 60 (sec): 6.4
0 - 75 (sec): 9.0
1/4 Mile (sec @ mph): 14.5 @ 97.9
0-60 with 1-ft Rollout (sec): 6.1
30 - 0 (ft): 28
60 - 0 (ft): 111
Braking Rating (Excellent, Good, Average, Poor or Very Poor): Good
Slalom (mph): 68.2
Skid Pad Lateral acceleration (g): 0.88
Handling Rating (Excellent, Good, Average, Poor or Very Poor): Very Good
Db @ Idle: 42.9
Db @ Full Throttle: 83.5
Db @ 70 mph Cruise: 0.8
Edmunds Observed (mpg): 17.9

Acceleration Comments: Wildly erratic power cut when shifted at redline is almost a deal breaker. It's completely unpredictable and seemingly unrelated to rev limit. Perhaps some combo of hard shifts at redline triggers it? Either way, it's bad.

Handling Comments: Slalom: Good roll control and enough feedback to comfortably sense limits. Ultimately, not as sharp as the Infiniti G37 tested the same day, but still plenty engaging. Steering is lighter than I'd like but offers enough weight and feedback to make prudent decisions at speed. Skid pad: Balance is good here as throttle transitions nicely change the coupe's attitude.

Braking Comments: Pedal is almost too soft, and effectiveness is not as good as expected for a brake system bearing the Brembo name. Luckily, distance is OK.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:07 PM
TECH Regular

Not impressed with the numbers, I think the 370z will be much more interesting competition.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:09 PM
Teching In

Loving this new car. Hyundai really hit a homerun with this thing. I'm interested to see how the turbo model takes to mods.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:39 PM
11 Second Club

Not impressed performance wise. Hell my daily driver '07 G6 GTP, with 54 less horsepower and the same weight is just a quick 0-1/4 mile.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:30 PM
Staging Lane

There was a Genesis Coupe forum ad on another forum so I decided to check it out. They're unlocking huge power in Korea on the V6. They figure with Traction/stability control on the car is restricting power.

I like the way it looks but the interior looks weak and my bro has owned 3 Hyundais and all of them have the worst ECM/TCM programming I've ever experienced. His Elantra is constantly hunting for a gear even on flat pavement.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Wow. Not only is this thing slow, especially for having 306HP, but the thing is so ugly it makes me want to kick puppies.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:31 PM
TECH Regular

I couldn't read the whole thing because I'm too tired, but I don't know how great this car is going to be.

It's against some seriously stiff competition, all of which is comparably priced and already have a pretty strong following.

It's priced the same as several cars that I personally would RATHER have...
-Nissan 370z
-Ford Mustang GT
-Upcoming Camaro

Other cars fighting for sales with this new comer:
-Audi TT
-BMW 1 series
-Dodge Challenger
-Honda S2000
-Mazda RX8

A couple things that would keep me from buying it:
-Iffy interior
-Entirely new powertrain
-Aftermarket performance (see above)
-Handling doesn't seem so stellar, especially compared to competitors...
Old 02-26-2009, 05:36 PM
TECH Regular

I like to see what the 2.0 turbo version does. I read its a just a detuned Evo motor. 20G and some cams. Hello to 400+ whp!!!
Old 02-26-2009, 10:32 PM
TECH Junkie

I love the looks but that is slow as ****. My 2003 Stang GT is even faster.

Hurry up Camaro!!!

W
Old 02-27-2009, 12:42 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DiscerningZ32
I couldn't read the whole thing because I'm too tired, but I don't know how great this car is going to be.

It's against some seriously stiff competition, all of which is comparably priced and already have a pretty strong following.

It's priced the same as several cars that I personally would RATHER have...
-Nissan 370z
-Ford Mustang GT
-Upcoming Camaro

Other cars fighting for sales with this new comer:
-Audi TT
-BMW 1 series
-Dodge Challenger
-Honda S2000
-Mazda RX8

A couple things that would keep me from buying it:
-Iffy interior
-Entirely new powertrain
-Aftermarket performance (see above)
-Handling doesn't seem so stellar, especially compared to competitors...
I was keeping my eye on this car and for the most part I agree but..

Genesis R-Spec coupe ($24,500)

for that price... That's hard to beat.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:45 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by jimmy169
Not impressed with the numbers
Originally Posted by SSNISTR
Not impressed performance wise. Hell my daily driver '07 G6 GTP, with 54 less horsepower and the same weight is just a quick 0-1/4 mile.
I agree. I've been seeing the ads and the car looks pretty good but I really thought it would be faster (and cheaper) than that.
Companies like Hyundai should probably stick to the market segments/price points where they excel (no pun intended ), cheap (value) cars with big warranties.
Reminds of years ago when VW started to move upscale after years of delivering value leaders and it became much more difficult to sell that higher priced product when people still associated the nameplate with sub $15k cars.
Genesis looks decent though, I'll give it that.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:48 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Blackened2k
for that price... That's hard to beat.
It is RWD, I'll give it props for that but hard to beat? I think the new Camaro might do just that (in both price and performance).
Old 02-27-2009, 01:57 AM
***Repost Police***

I think once people get used to the cars (and maybe when they get that ECU under control) the times will dip closer to the 13s. I mean come on, this is the first official test of the car, and it's by EDMUND'S. Not exactly the best performance source. I think this car will be a great competitor in the Mustang/Camaro battle, because the V6 Genesis starts just above the V6 Camaro/Mustang. And should perform atleast equivalent to the V6 Camaro.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:41 AM
Super Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
I agree. I've been seeing the ads and the car looks pretty good but I really thought it would be faster (and cheaper) than that.
Companies like Hyundai should probably stick to the market segments/price points where they excel (no pun intended ), cheap (value) cars with big warranties.
Reminds of years ago when VW started to move upscale after years of delivering value leaders and it became much more difficult to sell that higher priced product when people still associated the nameplate with sub $15k cars.
Genesis looks decent though, I'll give it that.
Guess you aren't old enought to remember where Toyota, Honda, and Nissan (Datsun) came from
Old 02-27-2009, 03:14 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
I think once people get used to the cars (and maybe when they get that ECU under control) the times will dip closer to the 13s. I mean come on, this is the first official test of the car, and it's by EDMUND'S. Not exactly the best performance source. I think this car will be a great competitor in the Mustang/Camaro battle, because the V6 Genesis starts just above the V6 Camaro/Mustang. And should perform atleast equivalent to the V6 Camaro.
True.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:25 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Reckless
Guess you aren't old enought to remember where Toyota, Honda, and Nissan (Datsun) came from
I'm not much younger than you bro and I know exactly where Toyota, Honda and Nissan came from. Both of my paternal grandparents actually worked for Toyota in the late '60s/early '70s.
And how long was it before any one of those brands even attempted to market a vehicle in this country that was priced anywhere above the cost of the average car?
Also, Korea isn't exactly Japan either, nor is it viewed/perceived by most as such...though from a global point of view it is possible that Korea today might be close to what Japan was back then.
Hyundai has been here what, a mere 24 years? Starting out with a $7k car no less. I had a friend who was actually one of the top salesman in NJ for them back in the mid-late '80s, his Excel demo was one of the first manual transmissioned cars I ever drove actually.
But you do make a good point, a car company has to start somewhere and ultimately move forward and Hyundai is certainly doing better than many others right now.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:01 AM
Launching!

So the Genesis does at 30k what the new Camaro can do at 22k. Sounds like a great bargain to me
Old 02-27-2009, 11:11 AM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by Chadder
So the Genesis does at 30k what the new Camaro can do at 22k. Sounds like a great bargain to me
The 4cyl turbo Genesis starts at $22k and will arguably be a better performance bargain than the V6 model as far as modability is concerned. The V6 Genesis starts at $25k, and definitely has more in it than a 14.5. The 98mph trapspeed should tell you that. And remember, this is tested by Edmund's. So like I said, this car is going to throw an interesting 4th option in the new ponycar wars.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

not bad, but definitely nothing to ever worry about racing on the street.

306hp isnt bad either, figure thats around 240 to the ground so the car running 14 in the quarter with its full weight is a decent time.

good job on the body lines too!

Its a chic sports car.

Quick Reply: Edmunds Full-Test - Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Korea's Camaro and Mustang Competitor