Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Edmunds Full-Test - Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Korea's Camaro and Mustang Competitor

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009 | 12:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
The 4cyl turbo Genesis starts at $22k and will arguably be a better performance bargain than the V6 model as far as modability is concerned.
Except it only has 210hp stock and modded your 10 year warranty flies out the window.

I noticed a lot of Asian fanboys arguments on other sites center on expected build quality, expected performance modded and the warranty.

If you care about your warranty isn't better to buy a 422hp stock car like the Camaro and enjoy 3 years of warranty than a 210hp stock car and nullify your warranty when you crank it up?

The fuel cutoff on this car stock seems telling.
Old 02-28-2009 | 01:04 PM
***Repost Police***

Are you seriously trying to compare a Camaro SS to a 4cyl Genesis? I know you're a moderator and everything, but that's an awfully dumb comparison to make. The 4cyl Genesis was designed to compete not only with the Mustang/Camaro, but also to pull buyers away from the Civic/Corolla/GTi segment. And for the record, intake/exhaust doesn't generally void your warranty. And the best part is that you can take those parts off if needed. I just really find your comments funny because if it was a new Camaro SS owner coming in here in a few months talking about his heads/cam car running great you would be saying nothing about how he voided his warranty.
Old 02-28-2009 | 01:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Are you seriously trying to compare a Camaro SS to a 4cyl Genesis? I know you're a moderator and everything, but that's an awfully dumb comparison to make.
This very comparison is coming up quite a bit on other automotive forums I read. Genesis intenders are making the modded four cylinder vs. stock V8 argument.
Old 02-28-2009 | 03:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old 02-28-2009 | 05:13 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TriShield

If you care about your warranty isn't better to buy a 422hp stock car like the Camaro and enjoy 3 years of warranty than a 210hp stock car and nullify your warranty when you crank it up?
GM offers 5yrs, 160,000KM up here in the great white north. Camaro makes even more sense here.
Old 02-28-2009 | 11:37 PM
Launching!

I guess I missed the point of this car then. I said I liked it because it's better than all the FWD 'sport' cars out there. I never intended to compare it to a freaking muscle car. I don't care what some crazy asian wants to think.
Old 03-01-2009 | 07:40 AM
Super Moderator

You are correct. south Korea is not Japan, it has surpassed Japan (from Wikipedia):

"South Korea has a high-tech and futuristic infrastructure, and is a world leader in technologically advanced goods such as electronics, automobiles, ships, machinery, petrochemicals and robotics, headed by Samsung, POSCO, and Hyundai Heavy Industries. It is a global leader in the fields of education, having the world's highest scientific literacy and second highest mathematical literacy."

"Today, South Korea has a highly developed[51] trillion dollar[52] economy and is a member of the OECD,[53] classified as a High-income economy by the World Bank and an Advanced economy by the IMF and CIA[54] in 2007, 2008. Its capital, Seoul, is consistently placed among the world's top ten financial and commercial cities.[55][56]

South Korea is regarded as one of the strongest economies in the world,[57] despite lacking natural resources and having the smallest territory among the G-20 major economies. The South Korean economy is the fourth largest in Asia and 13th largest in the world.[58] Like West Germany and Japan, rapid industrialization since the 1960s has made South Korea one of the world's top ten exporters. It is the seventh largest trading partner of the United States.[59] South Korea has the second highest savings rate in the developed world[60] and is well protected from external economic conditions through vast foreign exchange reserves.[61]

Often called an educational powerhouse,[62] South Korea is renowned for having one of the world's best education systems and is Asia's foremost leader in the fields of education, having the world's highest scientific literacy[11] and second highest mathematical literacy[11] and ranking first in Asia and seventh worldwide in the latest Education Index. Indeed, an extremely competitive education environment[63] and a highly skilled and motivated workforce[64] are two key factors driving this knowledge economy. This has a direct correlation with its global leadership in technology and innovation and the country files the largest number of patents per GDP and R&D expenditure in the world.[65]

Many globally well-known South Korean conglomerates such as Samsung, Hyundai-Kia, Hyundai Heavy Industries, LG and SK, POSCO have rapidly grown to become world leaders in their respective industries. Samsung Group is the world's largest conglomerate[66] and a leading consumer electronics brand. [67] In 2006, Samsung Group alone would have been the world's 34th largest economy if ranked.[68] The Hyundai Kia Automotive Group is the second largest car company in Asia and one of the top five automakers in the world.[69] Hyundai Heavy Industries is the world's largest shipbuilder[70][71] and POSCO is the world's second largest steel maker.[72] South Korea is one of the world's top five automobile manufacturing nations[73] and the sixth largest steel producer in the world."
Old 03-01-2009 | 01:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It seems to me if they need such a large amount (3secs) of trq managment protection They may be worried that the Trans/Rear end is **** which if thats true then 25k for a 306hp isnt really much of a deal imho only time will tell

Maybe they put 10 bolts in them lol J/K
Old 03-01-2009 | 01:52 PM
Launching!

You guys should see this thing in person, I thought it was damn good looking. Although most people say it's a direct copy of the G37 design wise, I think it actually looks better and sportier... except for the front end, which looks too bland and somewhat cartoonish to me.

I test drove the V6 Grand Touring model yesterday with the 6spd ZF tranny with paddle shifters (was looking for M6 but that's the only one they had in stock) and I was thoroughly impressed for the money, pulled pretty decently on the highway, and the exhaust note sounded very similar to my mom's minivan LOL (2007 Entourage which uses a similar version of the 3.8), but the articles claim that it sounds a lot better than the G37 so it's not too bad. I don't think buyers of the Mustang, Camaro, or Challenger are likely to crossshop with the Genesis coupe anyway so I'd compare it with other imports such as the Civic Si, Mazdaspeed 3, G37, 370z, Eclipse, Accord coupe.. and the Genesis seems to be positioned in a grey area which blurs the line between the categories and price range between the aforementioned cars.
Old 03-01-2009 | 04:08 PM
TECH Veteran

It looks a little like an ocean creature to me. The Mustang and Camaro have iconic, timeless car shapes and this thing looks extremely bland and Asian in comparison. Of course import lovers like that.

I find it somewhat ironic that typical import fanboys who have berated us for liking large, RWD cars with some heft and horsepower suddenly love the same thing when Hyundai brings one out.
Old 03-01-2009 | 05:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TriShield
I find it somewhat ironic that typical import fanboys who have berated us for liking large, RWD cars with some heft and horsepower suddenly love the same thing when Hyundai brings one out.
Haha, think again... you're about 20 years late. Think you're forgetting the Supra, 300zx, 350z, 370z, g35 coupe, g37... etc etc, import guys have always been in love with those cars as well, so why is it ironic when people appreciate the fact that Hyundai brings one out that is more easily affordable? Considering the base price is on par with cars like the Civic Si, Mazdaspeed 3, V6 stang, Mini Cooper S, Eclipse, Accord coupe, etc, I'm pretty sure buyers with performance in mind for that kind of money would be lured to a RWD platform with a good amount of potential, similar to the kind of bang for buck the 4th gen fbodies offered starting at around $20k when they were out, but of course, on a much lower level
Old 03-01-2009 | 09:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jimmy169
And so has a little turbo 4 cylinder, brent Rau in his dsm but that car has a tubed chassis, even more interesting is Shep's 7 second pass in his manaul awd dsm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwNzbcEXudE (no nitrous.)

Man that's weard, i mean it's just a little turbo 4 cylinder, maybe the hyundai will also have similar architecture.
haha i thought of the same thing

just found some top secret testing of a new genisis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHv_j...d.php?t=159700

i jest
Old 03-01-2009 | 09:42 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by bamxbam
Haha, think again... you're about 20 years late. Think you're forgetting the Supra, 300zx, 350z, 370z, g35 coupe, g37... etc etc, import guys have always been in love with those cars as well, so why is it ironic when people appreciate the fact that Hyundai brings one out that is more easily affordable? Considering the base price is on par with cars like the Civic Si, Mazdaspeed 3, V6 stang, Mini Cooper S, Eclipse, Accord coupe, etc, I'm pretty sure buyers with performance in mind for that kind of money would be lured to a RWD platform with a good amount of potential, similar to the kind of bang for buck the 4th gen fbodies offered starting at around $20k when they were out, but of course, on a much lower level

No, it can't just be an appreciation for a good car... it has to be "import fanboi" syndrome
Old 03-01-2009 | 11:48 PM
Launching!

No, it can't just be an appreciation for a good car... it has to be "import fanboi" syndrome
Although there seems to be a decent amount of well-rounded car enthusiasts here, there are also the "domestic fanbois" that are almost as annoying as the import fanboys. Everyone's gotta be a hater and **** lol. Then again I'm used to it since I'm a Korean dude rollin in a mulletmobile, and all of my Asian friends aren't exactly the biggest fans of it haha
Old 03-02-2009 | 11:49 AM
***Repost Police***

To be honest there are certain cars that I wouldn't want to drive just because of the name, unless I had a lot of money and made it fast just to **** people off. I like the new Civic Si, but I would rather have an Acura RSX-S. Because it says "Civic." Only way I would drive a V6 Mustang is if I turboed the **** out of it and turned it into a sleeper, ie; Justin Starkey. And the Genesis still says "Hyundai." But it doesn't stop me from recognizing and acknowledging that it appears to be a very good car.
Old 03-02-2009 | 04:35 PM
***Repost Police***

TT632, did you realize how dumb that post sounded so you erased it?
Old 03-02-2009 | 04:39 PM
TECH Resident

TT632, did you realize how dumb that post sounded so you erased it?
LOL. Yes, you are correct. Need a beer. Shouldn't comment on Hyundais anyway. The Japanese brainwashed me into thinking anything out of Korea was not worth buying.
Old 03-02-2009 | 05:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TT632
LOL. Yes, you are correct. Need a beer. Shouldn't comment on Hyundais anyway. The Japanese brainwashed me into thinking anything out of Korea was not worth buying.
LOL what did you originally say? Man I missed it . Hey man, I don't know if you have anything against the Japanese or not... if you do, trust me, you're on the same side as many many Koreans
Old 03-02-2009 | 06:59 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by bamxbam
Although there seems to be a decent amount of well-rounded car enthusiasts here, there are also the "domestic fanbois" that are almost as annoying as the import fanboys. Everyone's gotta be a hater and **** lol. Then again I'm used to it since I'm a Korean dude rollin in a mulletmobile, and all of my Asian friends aren't exactly the biggest fans of it haha
To us "well rounded car enthusiasts" the most annoying thing there is is a fanboi of one side who drives a car from the other. Not mentioning any names here.
Old 03-02-2009 | 07:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Blakbird24
To us "well rounded car enthusiasts" the most annoying thing there is is a fanboi of one side who drives a car from the other. Not mentioning any names here.
Wow you're real clever, no, seriously, you really are. Mention any names you want but it sure as hell isn't me. I love my all American (actually maybe it's part Canadian..) muscle car and American sports cars, and also appreciate fine sports cars that come from Europe, Japan, and (now) Korea. So I guess that makes me a domestic fanboy AND an import fanboy, thus the two negating each other and making my stance somewhat neutral and objective. I want you to logically explain how you came to the conclusion of me being a fanboy of one side driving a car from "the other"? I test drove the Genesis coupe and happened to like it, so what? I hope you weren't upset with the fact that I referred to my 'camaro as a mulletmobile... it's something that's called a jok... nevermind.

Quick Reply: Edmunds Full-Test - Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Korea's Camaro and Mustang Competitor