Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Tundras are rotting away too

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 12:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems that would give a good reason to buy their product to me. GM won't touch my roof bubbling issue even if I bring it to them with the TSB report.

So yeah a replacement car and friendly customer service probably does go along way specially now a days.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:16 PM
TECH Regular

The point was that you'd be getting the same piece of **** product. It is a vicious circle of crappy product still!
Old 04-28-2009, 02:03 PM
***Repost Police***

Yes, but Toyota seems to learn from mistakes and adapt better than GM. Both C5s and C6s had problems with the targa tops flying off.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Figured you'd be here defending them.

How many times have those tops flying off been as a result of the users not latching properly or being kept in adjustment? And a targa top coming off isn't as bad as the frame of your vehicle disintegrating.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:44 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by mzoomora
"But GM is soo much worser"

In 5....4....3....2....
Predictable.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:01 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Yes, but Toyota seems to learn from mistakes and adapt better than GM.
ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?!

It's taken nearly 30 years of selling in this country for Toyota to come to the realization that recalls are not only for American vehicles. GM, Ford, and Chrysler have for years sucked it up and bit the bullet on huge recalls while Toyota (and Honda, for that matter) have swept all their issues under the rug. The American media hasn't helped in the slightest either by burying all japanese manufacturer's issues in the bottom corner of page A11 while domestic automakers get front page 36pt font coverage.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just for the record the new Tundra is a total interior rip off of the F150. Can't haul worth a crap either my dad has one. Wishes his 97 GMC back every day. That and it has never gotten better than 12 mpg ever. Cheapest quality interior I have ever seen.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 423 Likes on 335 Posts

toyota is ****. It's rediculess people buy those things. Some of them run a long time if u put heads, transmissions and frames under them.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:52 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

When I was truck shopping this past Feb, the Toyota dealer by my house had a brand new 2007 model year Tundra on their show room floor. By late January I was having trouble finding a left over 2008 model year GMC/Chevy truck.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:59 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Figured you'd be here defending them.
And before anybody starts bitching about "import defense," I'm just throwing something out from a different viewpoint.

Originally Posted by Blakbird24
ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?!

It's taken nearly 30 years of selling in this country for Toyota to come to the realization that recalls are not only for American vehicles. GM, Ford, and Chrysler have for years sucked it up and bit the bullet on huge recalls while Toyota (and Honda, for that matter) have swept all their issues under the rug. The American media hasn't helped in the slightest either by burying all japanese manufacturer's issues in the bottom corner of page A11 while domestic automakers get front page 36pt font coverage.
Toyota has had their problems, sure. But then they fix them. I had a '98 Mustang GT with the same intake manifold as the '96 SOHC 4.6s had when they started spontaneously cracking. I think close to 1 million cars were TSB'd, but what do you know; my car's VIN indicated that it was made too late to qualify for a new manifold. And I am pretty sure that it took GM quite a while to ditch Optispark. I'm not trying to say Toyota is God (far from it), but they do tend to have a more sensitive ear on public opinion/perception/wants than GM.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:11 PM
Restricted User

Toyota has had their problems, sure. But then they fix them. I had a '98 Mustang GT with the same intake manifold as the '96 SOHC 4.6s had when they started spontaneously cracking. I think close to 1 million cars were TSB'd, but what do you know; my car's VIN indicated that it was made too late to qualify for a new manifold. And I am pretty sure that it took GM quite a while to ditch Optispark. I'm not trying to say Toyota is God (far from it), but they do tend to have a more sensitive ear on public opinion/perception/wants than GM.
You're going to point out two examples (which weren't actually even recalls) in response to Toyota's 20+ years of ignoring problems?

Reason I ask is because the number of vehicles recalled by domestic manufacturers in that time approaches the 100 million mark. Toyota and Honda both number 0 in that column. I don't see it.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:20 PM
***Repost Police***

The fact that Optispark wasn't ever recalled is amusing, and I said that the intake manifold was TSB'd. Not recalled.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by silplu83
How long til we start seeing these as Tundras:

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hate when that happens.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The fact that Optispark wasn't ever recalled is amusing, and I said that the intake manifold was TSB'd. Not recalled.
Optispark was a dumb design, yes, but it didn't warrant a recall.

If it did, why hadn't honda recalled all those v6 accords with the transmissions that blow up left and right?
Old 04-28-2009, 10:20 PM
***Repost Police***

They extended the powertrain warranty to 100k miles on those cars. My sister's '99 3.2TL had the transmission replaced 100% free @ 98k miles. So they might not have done a complete recall, but they did atleast address the issue.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

They extended the powertrain warranty to 100k miles on those cars. My sister's '99 3.2TL had the transmission replaced 100% free @ 98k miles. So they might not have done a complete recall, but they did atleast address the issue.
Shouldn't have to be replacing a transmission at 98,000 miles. Especially on stock power.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:37 PM
TECH Resident

wow the optispark wow you're really scraping the bottom of the barrel aren't you?

i still find it amusing when people bitch about the optispark going out when their 15 year old 130,000 mile waterpump takes a dump, or the general consensus by many people that a cap and rotor should last the lifetime of the car.

its a distributor is a wear item! its a damn good thing the distributor isn't in the customary location at the back of the block under the cowl then you'd see some bitching going on about how gm would produce a car that you have to pull the motor to replace the distributor... and still it couldn't be considered a recall

Last edited by 1994Z28Lt1; 04-28-2009 at 11:51 PM.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:40 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The problem is not as big as the internet makes it out to be for one, there were failures granted, but most of the guys on the internet blow it out of proportion like every LT1 can't make it 10 feet or survive a puddle of water with out loosing an opti. My stocker lasted 10 years, the a/c delco replacement worked great some 6 years later when the car was pulled apart for h/c. Poor maintenance attributes to a good majority of opti failures due to the design flaw of it being under the wp that and people tend to throw optis at cars and not try and figure out whats wrong with them. Put it this way, think how many LT1 Caprices were put in to police and taxi cab fleets, not uncommon to see a 9C1 Caprice with 200K mile with the stock optis on them still.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:46 AM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by XxGarbSxX
Shouldn't have to be replacing a transmission at 98,000 miles. Especially on stock power.
It was a design flaw, and it was free. The transmission on mid-late 90s Tauruses is much worse, Grand Prix transmissions are just as bad from what I hear, and the transmission in my mom's old '94 Vette went out at 114k miles. According to the mechanic, that was "about right."
Originally Posted by BizZzatch350
The problem is not as big as the internet makes it out to be for one, there were failures granted, but most of the guys on the internet blow it out of proportion like every LT1 can't make it 10 feet or survive a puddle of water with out loosing an opti. My stocker lasted 10 years, the a/c delco replacement worked great some 6 years later when the car was pulled apart for h/c. Poor maintenance attributes to a good majority of opti failures due to the design flaw of it being under the wp that and people tend to throw optis at cars and not try and figure out whats wrong with them. Put it this way, think how many LT1 Caprices were put in to police and taxi cab fleets, not uncommon to see a 9C1 Caprice with 200K mile with the stock optis on them still.
See above reference to a '94 Corvette... it's not something I read about on the internet, it happened.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

It was a design flaw, and it was free. The transmission on mid-late 90s Tauruses is much worse, Grand Prix transmissions are just as bad from what I hear, and the transmission in my mom's old '94 Vette went out at 114k miles. According to the mechanic, that was "about right."

See above reference to a '94 Corvette... it's not something I read about on the internet, it happened.
FYI I had a 94 Taurus SHO with the automatic I beat on that car hard all the time and was still on the stock transmission at 160K miles

Quick Reply: Tundras are rotting away too