Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

How many people on here were treated badly when they went to the GM dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 08:28 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How many people on here were treated badly when they went to the GM dealer?

I myself have had the dealership (and all involved) try to screw me more than once.

Most memorable--- Trying to buy a leftover '02 Formula.....
They wanted $1000 OVER sticker 'cause it was 6 mos old and they weren't making any more!!!!

And that dealer is on the CLOSE list....

They know why they're being yanked.
Now they're the ones looking for work...
I'm a firm believer in what goes around.... comes around.

INTEGRITY.....

I have 0 (ZERO) sympathy for those *********.

They have their own problems now.

HEY GM.. YOU are supposed to keep AHEAD of the curve.....
Nice going. FAIL.

Glad I don't have stock but I REALLY feel for those who do....

Last edited by nickate; 05-31-2009 at 08:37 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You're such a hater, what do they call it, import nut swinger?
Old 06-01-2009, 09:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Angry

I never have. And i would tell you to stop being a girl and dwelling on the past. I honestly think if you are going to bash GM i think you should get your *** off the forum . MY .02
Old 06-01-2009, 10:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The most common problem I have had at dealerships recently:

They don't want to let me test drive top model or expensive cars even if I can afford them ( I look too young?? not sure why)
They have insurance there is no reason for them to not let me if I want to drive.

Sales people having no idea what they are talking about or not knowing absolute basic facts that appear on the window sticker.

Flat out refusing to haggle even when they are in bad $$ condition.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

I love it when some people bash and think ONLY GM dealers have markups.......just about EVERY automaker has a quite a few dealers that love to add dealer markups...its how they make extra money of the car.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I'll bite. I know we are talking dealer but the service and warranty area is part of it.

I had a district service manger look me straight in the face and tell me I was lying to him. First strike and one I am still at today.

Warranty on the drivers side cat was denied due to me using after market plug wires. This was another huge issue and strike two. Later I got my money back as they admitted there was a problem.

Roof bubbling was strike three.

I was loyal to GM but now F'k GM. If you sell a product then you better well stand behind it.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the roof bubbles really **** me off. NO way in hell I did anything to the car to have bubbles. They know it's their paint, and prep, but they won't own up to it. They told me the bubbles under the hood were from the headers. HA.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SlvrV6Camaro
I love it when some people bash and think ONLY GM dealers have markups.......just about EVERY automaker has a quite a few dealers that love to add dealer markups...its how they make extra money of the car.
Just about every other car company isn't currently going through bankruptcy protection are they?

For those who say get off the site if you are going to bash GM and this guy must be a ricer, please leave and come back with some sort of logical retort. Your ignorance is astonishing.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I went to a local dealership to look at a G8 when they came out (as in, literally, the 2nd-3rd day they were on the lot). I had sold my old Grand Prix GTP (built, ~350 whp) a couple weeks earlier and was driving my wife's old college car (beat up, rusty, 91 Grand Am).

I walked in, and asked to see the G8 GT, and the salesman, quite literally scoffed at me and pointed me at it. They were not willing to let me test drive it, and didn't seem concerned with checking my credit (which happens to be 730). I was wearing khakis, a polo shirt, and a watch that cost more than 2 months payments on the car, but the salesperson was too caught up in the POS I drove up in to be bothered with paying any attention to me.

I drove to the lot next door and purchased a BMW the same day. I won't be back to that GM dealership again. In fact, I've been pricing new cars for my wife (lease is up on her Subaru, which we love) and didn't even bother at the local GM lot. Stopped at Subaru, Lexus and BMW. FWIW, we bought the the Subaru out of the lease. Been a great car so far.

Not all dealerships suck (the smaller one local to me has been great, but their stock and markup suck), but the ones that do sure give a black eye. Their behavior toward me probably cost them 60-70k out of my pocket, and another 100-150k out of friends that I help refer/shop for. Whoops!
Old 06-01-2009, 03:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

As shitty as it it when Dealers turn people away when they ask about test driving, it happens thanks to alot of people on this site who post up "So today I went to a dealer just to drive the **** out of a car on their lot" The dealers get it, and those people ruin it for the rest of everyone.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That doesn't make sense though. If the salesman is in the car, he can tell you to stop driving like a dick. Or, at least stop driving like a dick until you sign paperwork.

If the BMW stealership can offer me an M6 or M3 test drive, I think GM can let me roll in a freakin' G8.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:45 PM
TECH Addict

Around late November-early december last year my mom wanted to trade in her 06 mustang 'vert, for a brand new H3 in that inferno orange color. My parents and I went to a local Cadillac-Hummer dealer to check them out. They had 2 lots full of both cadillacs and hummers, a **** load of every model. We found one sitting near the back that my mom fell in love with, had everything except for navigation or back up camera. Well the truck was an 08, had obviously been on the lot for a while, looked like it hadn't been washed in months, and we weren't allowed to test drive it since the battery was dead. When it came down to talking money I figured they'd sling the "GM is not going anywhere crap". Well they pretty much didn't want to work any sort of deal to the point that my dad said forget it that we walked out. Seriously this is why GM went into the **** they are in. They had hummers lined up in rows looking like an army, yet they acted like they sold 100 cars/trucks a day. My mom still wants to get another car, but with Chrysler and GM filing for Chapter 11 the choices are slim. As long as the government has a hand in GM there ain't no way I'm going to buy from them.
-Joel
Old 06-01-2009, 03:45 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The service department is usually where I have the bad experiences. From not being fixed correctly the first time or simply just horrible follow-through. I have higher standards than most as I worked for Chevrolet and Saturn in fixed ops for a couple years, so I know how it works. The lies and excuses just **** me off.

My fiance and I just moved to the Pittsburgh area, and it's already started with sub-par service. We took her G6 to the closest dealer for a Maintenance I. I stated M1 several times, and the service writer kept saying "ok, oil change". We pick up her car and the bill is only $38.00. I'm thinking, fine, they simply did the GM Goodwrench special ($39.95 for oil change, tire rotation and 27-point inspection). When I get home, I notice the wheels weren't even off the car as her car was filthy and there were no hand prints as there would be if they did the rotation. I was pissed at this point, so I call and left a message for the service manager. A couple days go by and I don't hear anything, so I sent him an email. It's been a week, and I haven't heard back. What a complete joke. I ask for a M1 and just get an oil change. If the service writer had any sort of business sense (if she truly didn't know what a Maintenance I was), she would have tried to at least up-sell me on the Goodwrench special for another two bucks.

Sorry, I'm venting, but I just don't understand how something so simple has now gone very south. This is why these dealers should be going away. Unfortunately, these small town places have their regulars who are like blind sheep through a fence. They will keep coming because they are too ignorant to know any better.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2000Hawk
Around late November-early december last year my mom wanted to trade in her 06 mustang 'vert, for a brand new H3 in that inferno orange color. My parents and I went to a local Cadillac-Hummer dealer to check them out. They had 2 lots full of both cadillacs and hummers, a **** load of every model. We found one sitting near the back that my mom fell in love with, had everything except for navigation or back up camera. Well the truck was an 08, had obviously been on the lot for a while, looked like it hadn't been washed in months, and we weren't allowed to test drive it since the battery was dead. When it came down to talking money I figured they'd sling the "GM is not going anywhere crap". Well they pretty much didn't want to work any sort of deal to the point that my dad said forget it that we walked out. Seriously this is why GM went into the **** they are in. They had hummers lined up in rows looking like an army, yet they acted like they sold 100 cars/trucks a day. My mom still wants to get another car, but with Chrysler and GM filing for Chapter 11 the choices are slim. As long as the government has a hand in GM there ain't no way I'm going to buy from them.
-Joel

It's interesting that you say that. My mom is also in need of a new car but being the money conscious person that she is, doesn't feel like buying a new car due to the state that the GM / Chrysler are currently in.

Talk is cheap, and even though the government is saying that they will protect warranties and these car companies are not going anywhere, she hasn't gotten to where she is in life by listening to a bunch of talking heads.

But I digress, initially when she was car shopping we both had a miserable experience at a Pontiac dealership. We were planning on hitting a bunch of dealers but the Pontiac debacle was over three hours. We were so exhausted after that we just got something to eat and the next week she bought a 3 series. She's been a BMW customer ever since.

I honestly think though that the salesmen don't know any better. I bet if dealerships made it a requirement to have at least a two year degree and just had a small dedicated staff on salary, they would probably turn over more cars then a bunch of bumbling idiots who are not business savy and can't look past the 30 day sales reports.

Why is it that it seems like the quality of the sales people at a BMW/ Jaguar/ Lexus dealership always seem better then the sales people at a GM or Ford dealer?
Old 06-01-2009, 04:47 PM
On The Tree

Pretty much going to any dealer pisses me off. Id say 90% of the retards dont know **** about the cars they are selling.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by PopaPork
You're such a hater, what do they call it, import nut swinger?

OK. You have REALLY shown your ignorance here... 'Nuff said.

(My '00 Z-28 had roof bubbles too, lol)

These are my cars as of today...

2002 Ford 7.3 diesel 4x4 Excursion (Wife's winter car and for the camper which gets 17mpg pulling...)
2003 Mitsubishi Evolution (toy summer car which replaced the 400 whp Z-28 as I needed back doors for the kids)
2006 Honda Civic EX 4dr. VERY SAFE little car(my winter car and wife's summer car)
2000 Chevy 2500 Express van (as needed for moving whatever)
1994 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham (next project car...)

If you feel any of my non GM choices could be replaced by a comparable GM vehicle lemee know!

So. I guess I have chosen the best vehicle for each need I have in my family.

Facts is facts... The dealers screwed the babysitter and got caught.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:59 PM
TECH Addict

Service with my dads Corvette has been, eh. They have never once washed the car, and have actually returned it dirtier than when it was dropped off. We took it in to have the harmonic balancer changed and a 4 wheel alignment done. They didn't have the part, but another dealer nearby did so it's good. My dad told the service writer he would not leave the car overnight, and we were the first car there for service. I understand work isn't going to stop for the Corvette, but when he told us don't worry about we figured fine. We went back to pick up the car at 4:30, and sure enough not a damn thing had been done to the car. Our service writer had gone home already(early). He had stopped picking up the phone when my dad would call to see on the status of the car. Spoke with the service manager who said we could leave it, to which I mentioned that we couldn't, and even if we could I didn't trust them with it. I eventually drove it back a few days later to get the job done, and I stayed there the entire day to make sure it was done. The drivers seat also has a tear in it that the service writer mentioned could get fixed through warranty. He's said he'll get the information for us yet he hasn't called us, even though we've mentioned it a few times. My dad hates going to the dealer for service, and now it's gotten to the point that he won't go unless the cars problem is serious. I am afraid of going to a BMW/Audi/Mercedes dealer, because I just might never drive another American car again.
-Joel
Old 06-01-2009, 11:36 PM
Teching In

[QUOTE=nickate;11683216]I myself have had the dealership (and all involved) try to screw me more than once.

I bet there a little stressed that there jobs are falling apart and no one wants to buy a gm car for fear that their car wont be protected. My local gm dealer are the greatest people to do business and talk to, I enjoy talking to them about the new model cars gm are going to design, I have never left the dealership mad at the dealers. I been a gm man all my life never seat in a ford until just recently when detailing one.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2000Hawk
I am afraid of going to a BMW/Audi/Mercedes dealer, because I just might never drive another American car again.
-Joel
Haha Ive detailed a lot of vehicles over the time, Ive detailed BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Saab. BMW are a good vehicle but way overpriced, Audi are cheaply made, and Mercedes waste half of your money on safety equipment, Saab fall apart when moving the seats up and half of the panels and trimming don't even align, you can go with whatever you want, its a free world, Ive had a 90' silverado best truck Ive ever seen or driven, cheap to work on and dependable. Now I have a 98 vette its a great looking, driving, handling, performing, car, I also have problems with the service department for tire pressure sensors but overall its a great car, and most of all the car I can do myself in my garage, that whats good about chevys! Try getting that out of a foreign car.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey nitsud's vette, Amen to that. my feelings exactly. I can do 90% of my own stuff on my WS6.

Quick Reply: How many people on here were treated badly when they went to the GM dealer?