Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Jim waldron to buy Pontiac?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 03:09 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jim waldron to buy Pontiac?

Does anybody know what happened to this story(below) any news on it recently?

General Motors says it will consider 'reasonable' offers for Pontiac brand
by Melissa Burden | The Flint Journal
Friday June 05, 2009, 1:33 PM

Davison, Michigan -- General Motors is saying "nothing is off the table" and that it will consider reasonable offers to buy the Pontiac brand, though the automaker previously has said the brand isn't for sale.
GM dealer Jim Waldron of Jim Waldron Pontiac Buick GMC Inc. in Davison said he and five investors want to buy the brand, plants and equipment needed to make Pontiacs from the bankrupt automaker.
Jim Hopson, a spokesman for the Pontiac brand, said that Pontiac has fewer than 40 standalone Pontiac dealerships nationwide, which would make it hard to sell the brand.
Typically, franchise agreements prohibit dealers from selling competing brands in the same showroom, Hopson said. In all, some 2,500 GM dealerships sell Pontiacs, he said.
"We're not taking anything off the table and we'll listen to any reasonable offer," Hopson said.
"We can not see how it could be a viable business given the fact that it's so interconnected with the other GM brands," he added.
Hopson said he doesn't know if anyone at Pontiac is talking to Waldron. Waldron said he has meetings set up next week on the proposal.
Current GM plans are to phase out the Pontiac brand by the end of 2010. Dealers would wind down their Pontiac inventory by October 2010.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We can only hope something like this happens....
Old 08-21-2009, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Cheetoh
We can only hope something like this happens....
x2. A world without Pontiac is a sad place, at least to me.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:07 AM
Launching!

It still boggles my mind why GM would KEEP GMC and get rid of Pontiac. Chevy and GMC are the same ******* brand.... and Buick? Cadillac is more then capable of being the luxury line.

Chevy/Pontiac/Cadillac = win.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:35 AM

In classic GM tradition they have to get rid of the model(brand in this case) that people like the most.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sumo21bob
In classic GM tradition they have to get rid of the model(brand in this case) that people like the most.
No joke.

I wish someone also had the ability to go through and cut out a lot of the useless employees they have. Talking about all levels in GM NA. Not factories. They have a **** ton of people that aren't worth anything.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Fatbum
It still boggles my mind why GM would KEEP GMC and get rid of Pontiac. Chevy and GMC are the same ******* brand.... and Buick? Cadillac is more then capable of being the luxury line.

Chevy/Pontiac/Cadillac = win.
Well GMC is more of their large truck fleet vehicle brand for the most part. So I can see why they are keeping GMC for that.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Well GMC is more of their large truck fleet vehicle brand for the most part. So I can see why they are keeping GMC for that.
but buick? just cause some chinese guy wants to buy a buick doesn't mean we should be denied pontiac. is china more important to GM than the good old US of A?
Old 08-21-2009, 12:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Last I read GM said no to all offers to buy Pontiac, there were several people who offered to buy it but were turned down.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:50 PM
Teching In

I don't get why they won't sell Pontiac if they're just gonna kill it off anyways.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1995blacktattop
but buick? just cause some chinese guy wants to buy a buick doesn't mean we should be denied pontiac. is china more important to GM than the good old US of A?
Well since the Chinese population makes up for almost 1/6th of the worlds population thats a lot more people cut off from a brand then in the US.

Not to mention it's one of the best selling brands in China.
Old 08-22-2009, 04:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonMaskWS6
I don't get why they won't sell Pontiac if they're just gonna kill it off anyways.
i believe its so they have the option of reopening it when they are in a better position
Old 08-22-2009, 07:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by f-bodyfanatic
Well since the Chinese population makes up for almost 1/6th of the worlds population thats a lot more people cut off from a brand then in the US.

Not to mention it's one of the best selling brands in China.
so let them have it. We don't have holden, opel, or some other GM makes here in the US, why can't they discontinue Buick here and keep it in China and keep Pontiac here?

imo other than a decent looking early 90s buick regal GS coupe and maybe the 98+ 4 door one with the 3800SC motor, Buick hasn't had a good car in 22 years.

Old 08-23-2009, 05:22 PM
On The Tree

If they got rid of buick in the states what would all the old people that aren't buying Cadillacs drive?
Old 08-23-2009, 08:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by f-bodyfanatic
If they got rid of buick in the states what would all the old people that aren't buying Cadillacs drive?
Mercuries. Which is why GM needs Buick. My granddad just bought a new LaCrosse a couple months ago. That thing is nice.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

If they sell Pontiac what kinda drive trains are gonna come with these cars? I'd hate to see the G8 with a Ford V8 or whatever they can get in mass for cheap!

Quick Reply: Jim waldron to buy Pontiac?