Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

2011 Mustang 5.0L V8 Dyno Test

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 04:38 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even the 5.0 had an awesome sound. I've been told it was the exhaust setup, firing order, and OHC. Maybe it's a mix between all of that.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 88blackgt
I misspoke when I said cobra iron I meant cobra aluminum. Dont need to ask John when George spells it all out.
i asked john for you. here is HIS quote to me today. i dont know who george is, but he isnt john mehovitz, but this is:

Re: teksid block

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by assasinator
john, im running a street turbo setup with similar ideas to your stuff. i am pulling my motor and using billet rods/2618 pistons for 1000hp 76mm turbo motor.

i have read that you use a teksid for your pro engines, is that true? i figure i need to deburr the block for safety at the level.

J mehovitz

The Teksid block is the only ones we use. Theres plenty of other stuff we do to it to make it survive. Just keep the bores as small as possible

6.31 @ 224 MPH

3 Time NHRA AA/AT World Record Holder
3 Time NHRA BB/AT World Record Holder
2008 PSCA Pro Street Champion

BTW a cobra aluminum block IS a teksid block. A 99-01 cobra WAP block is notoriously weak. teksid blocks were manufactured from 92-98. 05+ aluminum lock are as strong as TEKSID's for the most part.

my guess is john knows better than enyone else what HE races. i build turbo modulars. im going to start building 1000+ rwhp modulars from here out. which isnt really that much hp for a 4v modular.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by camaro98z28
There are also 4 cyl cars running 6 seconds as well. WTFC's.. It's all about how much money you want to toss into it.
where are those 4cyl 6 second GASOLINE NHRA pro-mod/street class cars? surely they would be running and winning in pro classes.

it takes 2300-2500hp to run 6.30's in nhra pro classes. these are 2500-2600 lb cars. i seriously doubt a GASOLINE POWERED 2.7liter toyota can handle 2300hp.

these is a 4000hp V8 arias cut on half nitro car out there. 4.8liters. nitromethane. 1/2 of a topfuel engine. i dont seriously count that.

Last edited by assasinator; 02-14-2010 at 11:00 AM.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:47 PM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Ke^in
Even the 5.0 had an awesome sound. I've been told it was the exhaust setup, firing order, and OHC. Maybe it's a mix between all of that.
Are you talking about the older HO 5.0s, as in the '82-'95 (or more specifically the '87-'95) versions?
I do agree that their awesome sound might be due to a combination of both the true dual exhaust set up and their firing order but I don't think OHCs had anything to do with it considering that they were OHV motors.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

the point is who gives two ***** about stock, stock isnt the topic here.
Exactly, so who cares if the fully built drag car is using some stock parts or not?
Old 02-14-2010, 09:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i asked john for you. here is HIS quote to me today. i dont know who george is, but he isnt john mehovitz, but this is:

Re: teksid block

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
john, im running a street turbo setup with similar ideas to your stuff. i am pulling my motor and using billet rods/2618 pistons for 1000hp 76mm turbo motor.

i have read that you use a teksid for your pro engines, is that true? i figure i need to deburr the block for safety at the level.

J mehovitz

The Teksid block is the only ones we use. Theres plenty of other stuff we do to it to make it survive. Just keep the bores as small as possible

6.31 @ 224 MPH

3 Time NHRA AA/AT World Record Holder
3 Time NHRA BB/AT World Record Holder
2008 PSCA Pro Street Champion

BTW a cobra aluminum block IS a teksid block. A 99-01 cobra WAP block is notoriously weak. teksid blocks were manufactured from 92-98. 05+ aluminum lock are as strong as TEKSID's for the most part.

my guess is john knows better than enyone else what HE races. i build turbo modulars. im going to start building 1000+ rwhp modulars from here out. which isnt really that much hp for a 4v modular.
Not sure but if that is from John it is straight from the horses mouth but strange theres a discrepancy. George works at Accufab and is an extremely knowledgeable guy(that quote was from a thread about the new 5.0 and how they were hoping to pick up a lot with the cougar due to the fact that the cam timing can be changed on the fly as they were having problems spooling turbos any larger).

I'll try and shoot him a PM, he's not a shop bitch either
http://teamjdmvideo.streetfire.net/h...1b0169252e.htm
Old 02-14-2010, 09:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Exactly, so who cares if the fully built drag car is using some stock parts or not?
You guys are going in circles with retarded logic.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:01 PM
11 Second Club

Do a search yourself.. I found it on Youtube and Google. Yes 4 cyl 6 second cars. Thats the way it is.
where are those 4cyl 6 second GASOLINE NHRA pro-mod/street class cars? surely they would be running and winning in pro classes.

it takes 2300-2500hp to run 6.30's in nhra pro classes. these are 2500-2600 lb cars. i seriously doubt a GASOLINE POWERED 2.7liter toyota can handle 2300hp.

these is a 4000hp V8 arias cut on half nitro car out there. 4.8liters. nitromethane. 1/2 of a topfuel engine. i dont seriously count that.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not sure but if that is from John it is straight from the horses mouth but strange theres a discrepancy. George works at Accufab and is an extremely knowledgeable guy(that quote was from a thread about the new 5.0 and how they were hoping to pick up a lot with the cougar due to the fact that the cam timing can be changed on the fly as they were having problems spooling turbos any larger).

I'll try and shoot him a PM, he's not a shop bitch either
http://teamjdmvideo.streetfire.net/h...1b0169252e.htm
tell your friend to ask john if i emailed him directly about this.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

tell your friend to ask john if i emailed him directly about this.
I believe you did, I just find it strange that theres a discrepancy.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

there's no discrepency, if your contact said he used something else he's mistaken. not a big deal really, so no calling out. but it is important to realize just how strong stock stuff is and what it can do without having to purchase aftermarket parts. stock ford parts are extremely strong. for exmaple.

a 5.4 nvh block can handle 1250 hp before it distrorts. a GT supercar block can handle 2000hp, a navi generation 4v block can handle 1400hp. The stock cast 4.6 crank can handle 650rwhp. all late model 5.4's have a kellogg forged crank.

the new 5.0 block will be no different, but possibly be even stronger than a teksid. BIG hp chevy LS guys use an iron block from what i've read. With ford there's no need. the stocker is good. if ford uses a kellogg forged crank with the 5.0, a simple change of the rods and pistons and you have a bullet proof piece. we know for sure the 5.0 rods are DESIGNED for a 7000 rpm redline, not the 6500 of earlier rods. they will be stronger than earlier mods by a small margin. Keep in mind this is 4v. we are talking pentaroof detonation resistance. 2V limits are mainly because of detonation resistance that 2v doesnt have. we wont know until people start throwing rods how much they can take, but my suggestion would be to reduce the rpms to 6000 and take advantage of 350+ cfm@.475 lift these heads have. i know that a 10:1 4v with stock rods can stand 500-530 rwhp, with 500even being pretty safe. Of course Tim Barth or Eric Brooks need to tune it. 500 rwhp is only 8-9 psi with a turbo on ealier 4v. they flow 233. these flow 350+. you get the idea.

Last edited by assasinator; 02-15-2010 at 10:49 AM.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

All this tech talk, but any news how fast the new 5.0l is going to be?? updated info? This might be the return of the faster N/A mustang GT over the Camaro...nice; GM will have to step up into the game!!
Old 02-17-2010, 02:25 AM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

holy crap, this thread turned into a ***** measuring contest, but everyone is measuring someone else's, saying it's the biggest.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by clonedws6
Kevin, You have way to much time.

In case you didnt notice this is LS1 tech so of course most people are biased.

Seriously. Ever thread that turns into a bitchfest starts with YOU!
Ya I've ran into a couple just tonight and its really getting old. I'm not about to start a fuss but he knows what he's doing, he just acts dumb. Sucks there's no dyno numbers
Old 02-17-2010, 05:59 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Are you talking about the older HO 5.0s, as in the '82-'95 (or more specifically the '87-'95) versions?
I do agree that their awesome sound might be due to a combination of both the true dual exhaust set up and their firing order but I don't think OHCs had anything to do with it considering that they were OHV motors.
I should have re-worded that. The last part as meant for Mustangs in general, adding recent ones to the list. I know the 5.0 didn't have OHC.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:03 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by KW4life06
I'm not about to start a fuss but he knows what he's doing, he just acts dumb.
Talking about me? I am not doing anything. You guys are freaking noided. Seriously. If ANYONE talking about Mustangs bothers you, you should be instead asking yourself why. Instead of projecting thoughts and motives onto people that simply don't share them. There is no conspiracy here.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:36 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Johnnystock
All this tech talk, but any news how fast the new 5.0l is going to be?? updated info? This might be the return of the faster N/A mustang GT over the Camaro...nice;
I think it could be a close race, especially when comparing the automatic V8 versions of each car.
Among the manual V8s the SS does have a slight power advantage but the Mustang will have a weight advantage as well...it could even come down to gearing and which comes with stickier tires.
I do think that the V6 Mustang might just have the edge over the V6 Camaro.

Originally Posted by Ke^in
I should have re-worded that. The last part as meant for Mustangs in general, adding recent ones to the list. I know the 5.0 didn't have OHC.
Yes I'd kind of figured that.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I dont know if the 5.0l will have to get beefier drivetrain to support the new power. That could mean an heavier car. And it has to pass gov safety too..

We'll see what will happen, but I have a feeling that this new 5.0l Mustang will be faster than the new LS3 Camaro. One thing that is nice about the LS is that they react really good to mod and are easier to mod for the DIYers, so the LSx is still a win for plp like me, but not the 'general car enthousiast' I'd say.

The mustang is already ahead of the Camaro in some rag-mags with 100hp less, so if its on par powerplant wise, its going to be the new world wonder for the automobile press...They're still talking about hp/liter math, what better could we expect :S
Old 02-17-2010, 03:39 PM
10 Second Club

I dont know if the 5.0l will have to get beefier drivetrain to support the new power. That could mean an heavier car. And it has to pass gov safety too.
Good points, the new transmissions and bigger brakes alone will add at least some weight to it over the 2010 car so it's likely that the weight gap between the Mustang and Camaro will close a little bit, though the Mustang will still be at least 150 (probably closer to 200) pounds lighter than the SS when similarly optioned.

We'll see what will happen, but I have a feeling that this new 5.0l Mustang will be faster than the new LS3 Camaro. One thing that is nice about the LS is that they react really good to mod and are easier to mod for the DIYers, so the LSx is still a win for plp like me, but not the 'general car enthousiast' I'd say.
True.

The mustang is already ahead of the Camaro in some rag-mags with 100hp less, so if its on par powerplant wise, its going to be the new world wonder for the automobile press...They're still talking about hp/liter math, what better could we expect :S
Also true.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't wait to see what this 5.0L will do, bout time Ford stepped up to the plate....13 yrs later...sorry 14....

Quick Reply: 2011 Mustang 5.0L V8 Dyno Test