Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

"Wimpy" Muscle car's

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 11:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default "Wimpy" Muscle car's

This article is short and sweet, but considering the press saying it I think it's a nice win for us Camaro lover's.

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2010/..._review/8.html
Old 05-14-2010, 01:06 PM
Launching!

I want to see all the autos ran and numbers posted.

V8s and V6s.

But I do feel that ford dropped the ball with the autos in the Stang. Definitely the v6 which seems to be set for MPG. They should have at least offered a sport mode. I think they should offer paddle shifting also.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:34 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sax1031
But I do feel that ford dropped the ball with the autos in the Stang.
Maybe...but I'm just happy that they decided to go to 6 speeds all around (just like GM) at least.
Old 05-15-2010, 03:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think the problem with the auto V6 Stangs is the really tall gearing (3.15's if I recall). Takes alot of the zip out of the car.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:02 AM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by ThisBlood147
I think the problem with the auto V6 Stangs is the really tall gearing (3.15's if I recall). Takes alot of the zip out of the car.
Yes but don't forget the really short gearing inside of the transmission itself that adds a lot of that zip right back into it.
My Corvette has what many would call a pathetic rear axle ratio (2.56 ) but it's 6 speed automatic's 4.02 first gear REALLY wakes it up (cut a best of 1.52 sixty foot on it's way to a 10.9 second quarter mile time (on a 1.54 sixty foot) with just bolt ons).
I believe the automatic Mustangs (especially the V8) will see some amazing track times once they're modified because they too have a very steep first gear (4.08 I think it is?) and when combined with those 3.15s should really move it out.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Maybe the way the drivetrain is tuned for the auto sixxers is really tame from the factory. Probably something that could be easily rectified with a handheld tuner. It's not something I'd place great importance on if I'm buying an automatic base model. If I want the economy/price of a base model combined with the best performance possible.........I'd go for a stick without hesitation.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

the auto transmissions take torque managment to a rediculous level.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:22 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by assasinator
the auto transmissions take torque managment to a rediculous level.
True story.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:57 AM
***Repost Police***

Not really understanding here... don't the V6 Mustangs run ~.5s quicker in the 1/4 than the Camaro V6s?
Old 05-17-2010, 05:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Not really understanding here... don't the V6 Mustangs run ~.5s quicker in the 1/4 than the Camaro V6s?
Yup but I guess you didn't take time to read why that was an issue.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:33 PM
TECH Addict

I find it funny that they tout 29mph highway for the v6 camaro and 30-31mpg for the v6 mustang I've gotten 32mpg in my 15year old V8 camaro, granted I was going 80 and not 60which is what I believe they use for the highway mpg tests
Old 05-17-2010, 05:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by z_speedfreak
I find it funny that they tout 29mph highway for the v6 camaro and 30-31mpg for the v6 mustang I've gotten 32mpg in my 15year old V8 camaro, granted I was going 80 and not 60which is what I believe they use for the highway mpg tests
Mileage ratings are averages.......not maximum capabilities. Most cars are able to achieve better mileage than what they are rated at on the highway. Your car may have been rated at 22-23mpg.....but makes 8 to 9 more than that on the highway. I'd suspect that both the new Camaro and Mustang sixxers are probably capable of mileage in the 34-37 mpg range. Maybe some actual owners can chime in here...
Old 05-17-2010, 06:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Huge difference in EPA mileage and actual mileage. 95% of all car's that are tested can get above their EPA rating. About the only one's that I see that don't regularly are Toyota's. And that's not a knock against Toyota, just that they know how to manipulate the EPA to show their real mileage.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:24 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by kain01
Yup but I guess you didn't take time to read why that was an issue.
Sure did... but I don't drive automatics, so it's a non-issue for me. But I'm sure a decent tune would make the A6 in the Mustang better for "enthusiastic" drivers.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sure did... but I don't drive automatics, so it's a non-issue for me. But I'm sure a decent tune would make the A6 in the Mustang better for "enthusiastic" drivers.
Then go back and read it again, you failed the first time.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:44 AM
TECH Addict

This article is short and sweet, but considering the press saying it I think it's a nice win for us Camaro lover's.
It would seem, however, that all the Camaro actually won in this comparison is the "feeling" category. Idonno... I'm just sayin'... Performance was not its strong suite. If they liked it better, great. It's their opinion. They're entitled to it.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:30 PM
***Repost Police***

Then go back and read it again, you failed the first time.
Oh I read it just fine, and seeing quotes like this, "Despite being close in size, the Mustang feels like a smaller car than the Camaro and, by weight, it is. The Mustang is about 340 pounds lighter than the Camaro," does nothing but reinforce my opinions. And then there is this one, which goes back to my first response..."The Mustang, sadly, seems to be undone by its transmission. The V6 Mustang's six-speed automatic is too hesitant to downshift when it's called for. And calling for it requires some very unsubtle pedal smashing.
That's possibly the biggest reason that the V6 Mustang comes off feeling like a weaker car than the Camaro in real-world driving." Like I said, since I don't drive automatics and prefer lighter cars, the things that CNN says about two V6 automatic pony cars means little to me.

Originally Posted by It'llrun
It would seem, however, that all the Camaro actually won in this comparison is the "feeling" category. Idonno... I'm just sayin'... Performance was not its strong suite. If they liked it better, great. It's their opinion. They're entitled to it.
Yep.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh I read it just fine, and seeing quotes like this, "Despite being close in size, the Mustang feels like a smaller car than the Camaro and, by weight, it is. The Mustang is about 340 pounds lighter than the Camaro," does nothing but reinforce my opinions. And then there is this one, which goes back to my first response..."The Mustang, sadly, seems to be undone by its transmission. The V6 Mustang's six-speed automatic is too hesitant to downshift when it's called for. And calling for it requires some very unsubtle pedal smashing.
That's possibly the biggest reason that the V6 Mustang comes off feeling like a weaker car than the Camaro in real-world driving.
" Like I said, since I don't drive automatics and prefer lighter cars, the things that CNN says about two V6 automatic pony cars means little to me.

Then don't comment on the topic when the subject is two automatic cars. If you don't care about them, then your opinion is irrelevant. The quote you used (in bold above), answer's your original post about the Mustang being faster. In everday driving the Camaro V6 feel's faster. That appeal's to everyf&$#*!^ person driving a Honda or Acura on planet Earth. There is no such thing as a FAST Honda or Acura from the factory, yet they sell because of their "sportscar" reputation.

Bleh sorry, long day end of rant.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:07 PM
***Repost Police***

Depends on your definition of fast. If you consider your car to be fast, then your logic is flawed. If you think your car isn't fast, then you're right.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:47 PM
TECH Addict

Then don't comment on the topic when the subject is two automatic cars. If you don't care about them, then your opinion is irrelevant. The quote you used (in bold above), answer's your original post about the Mustang being faster. In everday driving the Camaro V6 feel's faster. That appeal's to everyf&$#*!^ person driving a Honda or Acura on planet Earth. There is no such thing as a FAST Honda or Acura from the factory, yet they sell because of their "sportscar" reputation.

Bleh sorry, long day end of rant.
So is your point that this story will be good for sales, since the youngsters(typically) want a car that feels quick or fast? I think maybe that's true, but those kids also tend to want a car from which they can see what's outside all the way around... Can't say anything to help sales based on that opinion. I mean, you can, but not for the Camaro, because those little foreign jobbers offer easy view to the outside. They're usually smaller too, like Civic and S2000.

Most Honda drivers, particularly younger ones, have little to no interest in owning a pony car. I think the market for the new Camaro is for people over 25 and it will do well. But if those same people want performance, most will pass on the V6 anyway. And, perhaps sadly, most of those who don't want added V8 performance and also test drive a Mustang... have a good possibility of buying the Mustang. It's cheaper, quicker, more efficient, and supposedly larger inside(neither is large inside)... Plus the interior "feels" better... Well, so they say. My point is, the Mustang may not "feel" quicker, but it evidently IS quicker and any kid into performance will probably already know it. Though it has an issue I don't like... More in a moment.

I know my nephews all know about it. They range from 23(or so) to 18 and while none drives a Honda(all 5 of them drive American branded vehicles), they all read magazines and have friends with various cars. What those kids DON'T know, and most of us probably don't(I didn't till today- even though it's been in print) is that the Mustang V6 has one "minor" problem, which I personally detest to the point, I WILL NOT buy one... Top speed, governed to just 113mph. That's insanity. I suspect that can be remedied with a proper tune, but it shouldn't exist and until it doesn't, I don't want one.

Btw, the Honda S2000 can reach 148mph and is drag limited, not governed. Other's may be nearly as fast, but I seriously don't care as I won't be buying one. Not because they suck or anything... I just don't want one. The Acura TL(I believe) AWD manual will supposedly cover the 1/4 in under 14 seconds and I believe it is capable of nearly 140, though I admit, Idonno...

Quick Reply: "Wimpy" Muscle car's