Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Camaro regains sales lead in August 2010

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 01:12 AM
***Repost Police***

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd say equal drivers/conditions, the new 5.0 should beat an LS3 Camaro. It's very similar to the Mach 1/LS1 F-body comparison, except the trap speeds are closer.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:20 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
I'd say equal drivers/conditions, the new 5.0 should beat an LS3 Camaro. It's very similar to the Mach 1/LS1 F-body comparison, except the trap speeds are closer.
In the grand scheme of things, even if the mustang wins 8 out of 10 races by a 10th, it's still an even match, or "driver's race" as we call it. All the Mustang driver would have to do is hesitate on a shift, or the Camaro driver could pull off a very slightly faster 1-2 shift, and the outcome would be the opposite. So while the majority of tests have the Mustang winning by a ballhair, it's still considered a driver's race because it's just too close. GM could stop offering a spare tire with the SS and that would make it faster than the Mustang. It's that close.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

woo hoo. the camaro wins with 6300 deliveries..... oh 6300 is still losing when it comes to making money. mustang sales just suck. plain suck.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:34 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by assasinator
woo hoo. the camaro wins with 6300 deliveries..... oh 6300 is still losing when it comes to making money. mustang sales just suck. plain suck.
I don't know that either company plans to really make money off of these cars. They are both built and sold as a kind of marketing tool that commands attention and interest in their respective brands. These cars are kinda like the sacrificial team members...their individual sales performances are not great, but just having them "out on the field" brings people to the game so to speak, and allows the company to profit on sales of their other, more utilitarian vehicles.

As long as both cars are selling reasonably well, and as long as public opinion is overwhelmingly positive on both cars (and i'd say it definitely is), these vehicles are considered a success.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:03 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,769 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Originally Posted by Blakbird24
In the grand scheme of things, even if the mustang wins 8 out of 10 races by a 10th, it's still an even match, or "driver's race" as we call it. All the Mustang driver would have to do is hesitate on a shift, or the Camaro driver could pull off a very slightly faster 1-2 shift, and the outcome would be the opposite. So while the majority of tests have the Mustang winning by a ballhair, it's still considered a driver's race because it's just too close. GM could stop offering a spare tire with the SS and that would make it faster than the Mustang. It's that close.
Agreed.

Reputations are made mostly on the street. In a street fight, that 1 tenth difference won't be noticeable.

I can't understand how anyone can say that either car is a clear cut/easy winner. It's just too close.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't know that either company plans to really make money off of these cars. They are both built and sold as a kind of marketing tool that commands attention and interest in their respective brands. These cars are kinda like the sacrificial team members...their individual sales performances are not great, but just having them "out on the field" brings people to the game so to speak, and allows the company to profit on sales of their other, more utilitarian vehicles.

As long as both cars are selling reasonably well, and as long as public opinion is overwhelmingly positive on both cars (and i'd say it definitely is), these vehicles are considered a success.
Recent sales figures for both automakers have sucked across their entire lineup. It's not just the ponies that are suffering. People just aren't buying very much right now. Everybody's too busy anticipating the next recession that we keep seeing advertised in the media.

My guess is that once the stigma of doom and gloom start to lift again you're going to see a surge in Mustang and Camaro sales. I work with about 8 or 9 guys that are heavily eyeballing these two cars, but are waiting to see how their 401K's do in the next year or so before pulling the trigger.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
A B4C/stripper Camaro 5.7L or a low-option Formula 350 wasn't that heavy. They were an excellent match 1/4 mile-wise for the 5.0, even the notch.

Just like today, it's really a driver's race. You're kidding yourself if you think that the new 5.0 is "easily" faster than the new SS (same goes for a '92 notch vs a '92 stripper TPI 350).
eh across the board with average driver the notch would win a majority of the time, and the fastest times the notch was several tenths quicker with a good amount hitting 13s.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:17 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by 88blackgt
eh across the board with average driver the notch would win a majority of the time, and the fastest times the notch was several tenths quicker with a good amount hitting 13s.
Without some sort of test data to back up either side, this particular argument is going nowhere. You're talking about two cars that niether company gave a **** about at the time...both manufacturers were hard at work on the next gen cars.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:01 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

I disagree. The lightest F-bodies with 350s were comparably as fast. The issue is, many of the F-bodies had 305s, which would in fact make them slower than the 5.0 Mustang.

There were still a lot of these cars around in stock form back in the mid '90s when I was racing them. My experiance was that most of the light weight F-bodies with 350s and the 5.0 notch 5-speeds were running low 14s stock.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:31 PM
***Repost Police***

Yeah I know... hence why I said it was a lot like the Mach 1/LS1 F-body thing (driver's race), except the traps are closer.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Without some sort of test data to back up either side, this particular argument is going nowhere. You're talking about two cars that niether company gave a **** about at the time...both manufacturers were hard at work on the next gen cars.
lol test data? I'm talking track times. Hell Bob Cosby posts here dont ask me!

as early as 87' Tony Defeo ran a 13.7(january iirc)
Old 09-03-2010, 04:34 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

as early as 87' Tony Defeo ran a 13.7(january iirc)
LOL! You can't quote a few select factory freaks as the norm/most/average.

Exmaple: In 1999, Evan Smith ran a 12.89 in a bone stock '99 Z28. There have been other cases of 100% stock LS1 F-bodies running in the 12.9x range (I myself saw a 100% stock '02 WS6 run a 12.98). But nobody says that "most/many LS1 F-bodies run high 12s stock".

Same goes for any car, it's what they run on average that really matters, since few people will be blessed with a factory freak (or the abilities of your top 1% of drivers). A handful of cars does not create a "norm".
Old 09-03-2010, 04:43 PM
***Repost Police***

Yes, but what's the point of throwing in that douche that runs a 15.1 in his 6spd WS6? I know that some LS1 F-bodies can run 12s, and that quite a few of them run low 13s. So to me, they are low 13s cars for the most part... but I know that I might run into one of the ones that runs 12.9 @ 110mph.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LOL! You can't quote a few select factory freaks as the norm/most/average.

Exmaple: In 1999, Evan Smith ran a 12.89 in a bone stock '99 Z28. There have been other cases of 100% stock LS1 F-bodies running in the 12.9x range (I myself saw a 100% stock '02 WS6 run a 12.98). But nobody says that "most/many LS1 F-bodies run high 12s stock".

Same goes for any car, it's what they run on average that really matters, since few people will be blessed with a factory freak (or the abilities of your top 1% of drivers). A handful of cars does not create a "norm".
i missed where i said that was the norm? i can say it again; the average times were faster and the "out of the norm" times were faster by quite a bit.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:01 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

i missed where i said that was the norm?
No problem, I'll remind you:

"a good amount" would = norm to most people. 13s were certainly not the norm, or a good amount, or many, or most, or any other word/phrase you care to use. Those were factory freaks.

i can say it again; the average times were faster
The average times were nearly the same, 350ci vs 5.0, comparing the notches to a stripper Camaro & Formula, and the fully loaded GT to a GTA & hightly optioned Z28. And that's only when the 5.0 had a 5-speed. With an AOD, even the notch would get slapped by a TPI 350 car. Stock for stock.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:05 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Yes, but what's the point of throwing in that douche that runs a 15.1 in his 6spd WS6? I know that some LS1 F-bodies can run 12s, and that quite a few of them run low 13s. So to me, they are low 13s cars for the most part... but I know that I might run into one of the ones that runs 12.9 @ 110mph.
Yeah, you totally missed my point.

Saying that fox body 5.0 5-speed Mustangs were high 13 second cars stock is the same as saying that LS1 F-bodies are high 12 second cars stock.

Toss out the freaks and the turds. Draw your conclusions and make your comparasions based on the averages.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

"a good amount" would = norm to most people. 13s were certainly not the norm, or a good amount, or many, or most, or any other word/phrase you care to use. Those were factory freaks.
My definition of a good amount is about the same as ls1 cars that have broken into the 12s; not the norm but it happened more than a handful of times.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

i missed where i said that was the norm? i can say it again; the average times were faster and the "out of the norm" times were faster by quite a bit.
Disagree completely. They were within a couple tenths on both counts.

I guess you are trying to tell us they could equal or best an lt-1 car? No...it was game over when they came out. Yet the lt-1 was a high 13 second car on average.

here is some info on the mythical 13 second runs by the 5.0 cars.

http://forums.mustangworks.com/f8/stock-no-more-24905/
The great Tony Defeo who sold mustangs to a bunch of tools if they thought they could equal this.
He advanced the timing. He removed the air cleaner. It was in the dead of winter. It was in new jersey. They paid for hours of track time.

Give me an effing break man. If you dont think that legit 14.4 at motor trend by the 1990 iroc could get to the 13's by going negative DA in the dead of winter and advancing the timing and removing the air filter with hours of track time you are in la la land.

Funny how history can get foggy.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:15 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

My definition of a good amount is about the same as ls1 cars that have broken into the 12s; not the norm but it happened more than a handful of times.
Well, then we have totally different definitions of "good amount". I think you may be alone on this one, as few people would agree that a good amount of 100% stock LS1 F-bodies have hit 12s.

Originally Posted by UltraZLS1
Disagree completely. They were within a couple tenths on both counts.

I guess you are trying to tell us they could equal or best an lt-1 car.

here is some info on the mythical 13 second runs by the 5.0 cars.

http://forums.mustangworks.com/f8/stock-no-more-24905/
The great Tony Defeo who sold mustangs to a bunch of tools if they thought they could equal this.
He advanced the timing. He removed the air cleaner. It was in the dead of winter. It was in new jersey. They paid for hours of track time.

Give me an effing break man. If you dont think that legit 14.4 at motor trend by the 1990 iroc could get to the 13's by going negative DA in the dead of winter and advancing the timing and removing the air filter with hours of track time you are in la la land.

Funny how history can get foggy.
I agree completely. Some people like to remember the ringers (which are often the result of some hidden tricks/tweaks/etc.), and forget what things were like day-to-day.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:16 PM
***Repost Police***

Yeah, you totally missed my point.

Saying that fox body 5.0 5-speed Mustangs were high 13 second cars stock is the same as saying that LS1 F-bodies are high 12 second cars stock.

Toss out the freaks and the turds. Draw your conclusions and make your comparasions based on the averages.
Didn't miss the point at all. I would never say that 5.0 notches were 13s cars, but I know that they were low-mid 14s cars all day with a good driver/conditions. Just like LS1s are low-mid 13s cars all day. And 5.0s/LS3 Camaros are mid-high 12s.

Quick Reply: Camaro regains sales lead in August 2010