Long live the Viper?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Long live the Viper?

http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/auto...ture-of-viper/

Future Dodge Viper

In 2008, Dodge sold 1172 Vipers; in 2009, only 659. Prior to that, close to 2000 Vipers were rolling off dealer lots per year. Over 25,000 of these venomous sports cars have been sold since Dodge introduced it in 1992, making the Viper a success, at least until last year’s dismal performance.

Things actually started going downhill in 2008 when it was announced that the Viper brand was for sale. Within a year Chrysler went bankrupt and then a deal was struck with Fiat that saved Chrysler and, strangely, also the Viper. A quick succession of management changes seems to have worked in the Viper’s favor. In June of 2009, Fiat chief Sergio Marchionne was appointed CEO of Chrysler Group. The next month came news that not only was Viper no longer for sale, but that Ralph Gilles, Chrysler’s vice president of product design (and a known Viper fanatic) would be the new CEO of Dodge Cars and be directly responsible for the Viper. He extended production of the 2010 model as far as it could go, which was this past June, because in July it would have to become a 2011 model. While there won’t be a 2011 model, we have reason to believe we’ll see a concept for a new Viper sometime in 2012, destined for production the following year.

The next Viper will use the same 8.4-liter V-10 making 600 horsepower. There’s nothing wrong with this, especially since the pushrod engine is apparently capable, with reasonable modification, of meeting emissions requirements up to 2018. The simple addition of direct injection could see power output rise to 700 bhp. Ilmor Marine sells the engine in 650-bhp and 725-bhp configurations, built at the Viper factory. Interestingly, Ilmor is still selling the engine even though the Viper plant is closed. Could it be the Ilmor folks know that Viper production will start up again before they run out of engines? It’s a safe bet they do.

Believe it or not, the Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG was destined to be the next Viper’s kissing cousin. Although those plans have since been scrapped, the manual transaxle and longer wheelbase developed in the process will likely be kept for the next-generation Viper, which would help with heat management, interior space and finally allow the driver’s seat, steering wheel and pedals to all line up.

The steel frame and general construction of the Viper will remain basically the same, as it’s already very light and strong. It’s also possible a less-powerful V-8 version would be created as a stepping-stone to the Viper—think Chrysler Firepower concept. Apparently Dodge engineers have even talked to Ferrari about performance stability control and how to improve the car’s steering feel.

But rest assured, the next Viper will not be a Ferrari—Gilles is too much of a Viper fanatic to allow that. The car is guaranteed to have a true manual gearbox and a real off button for the stability control. It will be significantly better than the current version, yet still retain the brutish nature that only serious car enthusiasts revel in. The Viper saga is not over. It’s just on hold.
Good news I love vipers and I'm glad they plan to stick to their true heritage and ignore all the fancy electronic stability controls and blah blah blah. I hope this article holds true
Old 09-14-2010, 02:17 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lots of talk, too early to say anything now. There's an awesome article in the current Road & Track. Which goes through the heritage, and assembly line production etc.

As well as this particular article.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:45 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ChaseSS
Good news I love vipers and I'm glad they plan to stick to their true heritage and ignore all the fancy electronic stability controls and blah blah blah. I hope this article holds true
I couldn't agree more, Vipers are just plain sexy.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hmmm...That's an article from the October 2010 Road & Track. The model will be released in 2013 & nothing is promised beyond that. Although, it is believed that the Viper model will continue after. Let's hope so.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:57 PM
TECH Regular

More competition, bring it.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:29 PM
TECH Veteran

There are many high ups at Chrysler that want to resume work on the next Viper and put it back into production. If Chrysler's new stuff takes off I'm sure it will happen.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:18 PM
Staging Lane

I don't know why they would drop the Viper brand that would be like GM dropping the Corvette or Ford losing the Mustang. Either way I'm very happy to see it still alive.

Now they need to release a factory turbo viper to eat the ZR1 alive.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:55 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,806 Likes on 1,287 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by VF1Skullangel
I don't know why they would drop the Viper brand that would be like GM dropping the Corvette or Ford losing the Mustang.
Corvette - 57 years of production, amazing heritage and enthusiast following for GM, iconic American sports car, unmatched popularity and model line longevity for a 2-seater, basis for GM's popular small block V8 development for several decades.

Mustang - 47 years of heritage, popular with enthusiasts and normal car buyers alike, loyal and large fan base, often a performance benchmark for Ford over the decades, a mutually beneficial relationship between Ford and the massive Mustang/SBF aftermarket and tuners.

Viper - 18 years of heritage.....halo car for Mopar. Low production, small aftermarket, fan base is mostly dreamers and few owners, lacks the every-day driveability/useability of Mustang and the strong following, relative affordability, and aftermarket of the Corvette and SBC.

So, not *quite* the same, IMO. Don't get me wrong, Viper is a cool car and I would love to see it stick around. But it's not exactly iconic in the same sense as Corvette or Mustang (or even Camaro).
Old 09-14-2010, 11:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

^^^

Couldn't agree more. Viper does not share the heritage of a vette or a mustang. 2010 was originally the end. Am happy that there will be a 2013 model & that there may be plans to keep it in the future. Would like to be talking about a current Viper model 40 years from now.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:14 AM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

That's good news, I like the Viper line a lot as well.

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Corvette - 57 years of production, amazing heritage and enthusiast following for GM, iconic American sports car, unmatched popularity and model line longevity for a 2-seater, basis for GM's popular small block V8 development for several decades.

Mustang - 47 years of heritage, popular with enthusiasts and normal car buyers alike, loyal and large fan base, often a performance benchmark for Ford over the decades, a mutually beneficial relationship between Ford and the massive Mustang/SBF aftermarket and tuners.

Viper - 18 years of heritage.....halo car for Mopar. Low production, small aftermarket, fan base is mostly dreamers and few owners, lacks the every-day driveability/useability of Mustang and the strong following, relative affordability, and aftermarket of the Corvette and SBC.

So, not *quite* the same, IMO. Don't get me wrong, Viper is a cool car and I would love to see it stick around. But it's not exactly iconic in the same sense as Corvette or Mustang (or even Camaro).
I agree.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:28 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 47 Likes on 19 Posts

I disagree. Years have nothing to do with something being considered "Iconic". People can identify a Dodge Viper instantly among other vehicles, it has been an "Icon" since the first model year. It only lacks the heritage of the Corvette, but not Icon status.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^ It's just because you have one lolololol I kid, i kid I love the Vipers and they turn my head when i see them. Of course so do Vette's, F-body's and exotics. Hell I even acknowledge Mustangs
Old 09-15-2010, 11:30 AM
11 Second Club

the dodge viper is my favorite car of all time. they are just plain sick. plus you dont see many of them around.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:37 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
I disagree. Years have nothing to do with something being considered "Iconic". People can identify a Dodge Viper instantly among other vehicles, it has been an "Icon" since the first model year. It only lacks the heritage of the Corvette, but not Icon status.
Viper is an icon of sorts, but Corvette will always be America's most iconic sports car - and I think it's unmatched heritage has a great deal to do with that.

My original point was that the loss of Corvette would signal a much greater era-ending shift at GM than the loss of Viper would signal for Mopar.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:06 PM
TECH Veteran

The news is all over the automotive blogs today. Apparently Chrysler's CEO presented it to a gathering of dealers so the Viper will be back.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TriShield
The news is all over the automotive blogs today. Apparently Chrysler's CEO presented it to a gathering of dealers so the Viper will be back.
YES!!!!!! One day I will own one.... one day....

And for those saying its not an american icon, park any vette (be it zo6/zr1) or any mustang next to a viper and 90% of lookers won't even notice the vette/mustang. The viper has an image not really matched by any other sports cars. Then again I'm biased because I absolutely love em
Old 09-15-2010, 11:25 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

And for those saying its not an american icon, park any vette (be it zo6/zr1) or any mustang next to a viper and 90% of lookers won't even notice the vette/mustang. The viper has an image not really matched by any other sports cars. Then again I'm biased because I absolutely love em
Yes, Viper styling is more exotic than Corvette, I don't beleive that was ever in question. Perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned "icon" at all because it has sparked a debate that wasn't my original intention. This all came about because someone stated that Dodge dropping Viper would be like GM dropping Corvette; I disagree. GM dropping Corvette would be of much greater significance and impact, hobby-wide.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

longer wheelbase? I think the current model is already too long, i have to make 3 point turns every time i drive my dads lol. I dont know, i think if they are going to keep it going they need to step it up. They should just do an 800hp version, to shut everyone up. Even ZR1 and anything Ferrari has. They could do it. And they should let me design it After all around 2013 i should be finishing up my Bachelors in Industrial design-Transportation (car designer).
Old 09-16-2010, 03:38 AM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

And for those saying its not an american icon, park any vette (be it zo6/zr1) or any mustang next to a viper and 90% of lookers won't even notice the vette/mustang.
True.
But then again if you park a Hyundai Accent painted in fluorescent lime green with sections of bright purple polka dots it would likely garner even more attention than the Viper as well.

It's all about the numbers, people will stare at almost ANY car that they simply see less of.
If they'd made only 25k Corvettes over the last 18 years most would probably look at them with the same desire and passion as they look at Vipers with now.
Yes, it is what it is and dramatic styling doesn't lie. The Vipers (especially the 1992-2002 models) are simply more radical looking than the Corvettes. But I can assure you that if there were only 10k - 20k Corvette C5s/C6s on the road right now most people would hurt their necks trying to catch a glimpse of such a hot looking and rare sports car.
Perceived rarity is key here.
That being said, I still love Vipers (and Corvettes, and V8 Mustangs, and V8 Camaros, and V8 Challengers ).
Old 09-16-2010, 07:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
True.
But then again if you park a Hyundai Accent painted in fluorescent lime green with sections of bright purple polka dots it would likely garner even more attention than the Viper as well.
you say this like you know it from experience?

I understand your points and RPM WS6's, point taken.

Quick Reply: Long live the Viper?