Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

UAW Pickets Themselves

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 02:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ss1129
LOL at being hateful. UAW is eating away at the big 3 like a cancer...when it devours them it will set its sites on foreign car companies.....and you will see them pack up and leave when its cheaper to pay import taxes than union wages.

Did you know that when you buy a used car....it doesnt support anyone but the local business where you bought it from. I will never buy another new car besides my 2010 SS. So, I would bet most of the people here bought their fbodies used...therefore not helping unions or GM. Just saying.

(yet you bought a union made car didnt you? hows that POS running?)

Can you please explain to me why Toyota, Honda ect ect have had better build quality for years over the UAW....being built in the United States...without union labor?

(can you please explain how a defect ever occured that wasnt due to a bad design or part? most arent assembly related and last i knew toyota had quite a few problems and not from union labor. imagine that?)

Who are you never owning a business to sit back and determine what you should make working for someone else?

The great thing about America is if you dont like the pay, you can pack your **** up and find a new job. There are probably hundreds of thousands of United States citizens that would proudly work for half of what the average UAW member steals....er earns.

When GM dies the UAW will be at fault.

(yes, blame its workers and not shitty mngt or leadership. typical these days.)

Remember...Paying someone more to build an inferior product = less sales which in turn = less profits = less money to pay employees.

You like to complain about Who are you having never worked in a factory to sit back and determine what sombody else should make.

But you are the first dumbasses to complain about what the CEO's make. Do you see how hypocritial that is?

Probably no.

yes, the big three CEOs have earned their pay the lat few decades LOL.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Element
"Who cares what union workers make, if an unskilled worker than only needs 5 minutes of training to do his job for the rest of his life makes $85,000 a year and gets better benefits than white-collar workers, so what?"

And that is the reason our economy is in the *******, we're outsourcing more and more manufacturing, and moving towards being a completely service-based economy.

Who cares? The companies who have to employ overpaid, lazy entitlement-mentality union workers. The solution? Go out of the country to get products produced. Instead of keeping jobs in the US and paying their workers a fair wage - and my job being working with companies that manufacture things and myself having been a designer for one of those companies, I can tell you that most smaller companies would much prefer to source their parts from inside the US, as it's easier to maintain quality and make product revisions - the companies are forced to outsource their manufacturing because they simply can't afford to pay Bubba $30/hour to screw bolts in and maintain a profit to stay in business.

I'm from WV - we created the ******* unions. They existed for a valid reason decades ago. This isn't 1920, and unions have absolutely no function in today's economy. None.
show me an unskilled worker that makes 85k a yr without working a ton of overtime.

but anyany way to stereotype people.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:34 PM
12 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
yes, the big three CEOs have earned their pay the lat few decades LOL.

They can run a business how they see fit.

Again nobody forces anybody to work there....or buy cars produced by them.

Its amazing the choices you have in a free market isnt it?

If you dont like the job.....quit.

If you dont like the product.....dont buy it.

I dont work at places I dont like and I dont buy **** I dont want......isnt that ******* ludicrous?
Old 10-19-2010, 02:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Are all those companies competing with Japanese/korean car companies not using the same labor unions?

Ford is the only one of the big three to not take a bailout....and they did it by the skin of their teeth.

GM is forced to sell cars at competitive prices to the Japanese counterparts...even though the japanese cars are produced at a cheaper cost due to no UAW infiltration. Therefore they pull in higher profits.

I dont know whats hard to understand about that.

yet at one time the big three had 2/3 of the market. what happened? they made **** and got complacent. not hard to understand that arrogoance and stupidty of their leadership brought them down.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:41 PM
12 Second Club

yet at one time the big three had 2/3 of the market. what happened? they made **** and got complacent. not hard to understand that arrogoance and stupidty of their leadership brought them down.
Incase you didnt notice...they still have a huge chunk of the market...but they are not making money.

GM was number 1 for seventy something years...no small feat. They would probably still be #1 if it wasnt for the UAW.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

I dont work at places I dont like and I dont buy **** I dont want......isnt that ******* ludicrous?

and they ran it like **** as ive said for yrs. THATS what caused their demise.

and i also said many posts ago stop buying union made vehicles if it bothers you that much. STOP bitching about unions and stop supporting them. that simple.

thing is lots of members on here say how great our fbodies were for what they cost. how great a car a vette is for the money. my GTO imo was priced excellent for what i got. i see import competitors they are much more expensive yet no one bitches about them. not nearly as much anyway.

but keep making yourselves look ignorant lol.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:47 PM
WANNABE GENIUS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Or you take a stand as a work force and demand for your employer to put wages and benefits in writing. You wanna run scared in hopes the next jacka$$ will be nicer thats your problem. These jobs that pay well are few and far between. CEOs twenty years ago and beyond only brought home 80times what the average assembler takes home. Now CEOs take home over 500times what an assembler makes. And yet you are seriously going to maintain the workers are the ones being greedy? Youre unfair prejudices of unions dont get to suffice common fact no matter how much you value your own opinion. Have you ever tries looking at from the perspective of these workers that work like crazy to put cars out the door?
Old 10-19-2010, 02:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Incase you didnt notice...they still have a huge chunk of the market...but they are not making money.

GM was number 1 for seventy something years...no small feat. They would probably still be #1 if it wasnt for the UAW.

yes, huge from almost %50 to now 20 lol.

but please explain to me why customers went from buying GM to buying foreign cars because of UAW workers? dont give me that strike **** like some other idiot tried to tell me either because full size trucks and SUV sales were always strong and they make an assraping on them.

you know GM was union during their best times right?
Old 10-19-2010, 02:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by wannabess00
Or you take a stand as a work force and demand for your employer to put wages and benefits in writing. You wanna run scared in hopes the next jacka$$ will be nicer thats your problem. These jobs that pay well are few and far between. CEOs twenty years ago and beyond only brought home 80times what the average assembler takes home. Now CEOs take home over 500times what an assembler makes. And yet you are seriously going to maintain the workers are the ones being greedy? Youre unfair prejudices of unions dont get to suffice common fact no matter how much you value your own opinion.
gotta love class warfare..

its simple... factory workers do semi/low skilled work. this work is NOT worth 30 an hour. its not the companies' fault factory workers took a job that realistically should only pay 15ish an hour.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:07 PM
12 Second Club

and they ran it like **** as ive said for yrs. THATS what caused their demise.

and i also said many posts ago stop buying union made vehicles if it bothers you that much. STOP bitching about unions and stop supporting them. that simple.

thing is lots of members on here say how great our fbodies were for what they cost. how great a car a vette is for the money. my GTO imo was priced excellent for what i got. i see import competitors they are much more expensive yet no one bitches about them. not nearly as much anyway.

but keep making yourselves look ignorant lol.
Your right...Im sure it was the UAW that designed the actual car from the ground up. Im sure the UAW came up with ways to build multiple cars on one line.

No...wait that was private sector individuals that did all that and designed the vettes and fbodies and new camaro. LOL

Im all for not buying new vehicles. Lets stop and force GM to go under. Thats the smartest ******* idea Ive heard in forever.

For the record..when you buy used, you are only supporting the local community to which you bought the car from.

Or you take a stand as a work force and demand for your employer to put wages and benefits in writing. You wanna run scared in hopes the next jacka$$ will be nicer thats your problem. These jobs that pay well are few and far between. CEOs twenty years ago and beyond only brought home 80times what the average assembler takes home. Now CEOs take home over 500times what an assembler makes. And yet you are seriously going to maintain the workers are the ones being greedy? Youre unfair prejudices of unions dont get to suffice common fact no matter how much you value your own opinion. Have you ever tries looking at from the perspective of these workers that work like crazy to put cars out the door?
Have you ever been to McDonalds during a dinner rush. Do you see how hard they work. Lets assemble a Union of Fastfood Burger Markers....they work just as hard as anyone.

Manual labor doesnt always mean skilled labor. Please explain to me why a guy turing 3 bolts on an assembly line should make more than an acutal mechanic that has to diagnose problems then complete repairs? Does that make sense to you?

yes, huge from almost %50 to now 20 lol.

but please explain to me why customers went from buying GM to buying foreign cars because of UAW workers? dont give me that strike **** like some other idiot tried to tell me either because full size trucks and SUV sales were always strong and they make an assraping on them.

you know GM was union during their best times right?

GM is barely the number 2 auto producer in the world right now. Barely. Id love to see where you get your stats from.

Customers went from buying GM cars in through the early 80s to imports because build quality took a **** and jap cars were cheaper to buy with superior quality. No ifs ands or buts.

You know GM is still paying out to those union members from their best times right?
Old 10-19-2010, 03:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Talking

im going to get my union delivered mail. (NALC) sign for my union delivered pkg.(ups/TEAMSTERS). drive my union built car(s) to a local grocery where union workers stock shelves and pack my groceries. im going to tell them all how theyre lazy,overpaid and should be outsourced and to get better educated because they dont desrve what they have lol.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Lets assemble a Union of Fastfood Burger Markers....they work just as hard as anyone.
The $1 menu would turn into the $5 menu overnight.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Your right...Im sure it was the UAW that designed the actual car from the ground up. Im sure the UAW came up with ways to build multiple cars on one line.

No...wait that was private sector individuals that did all that and designed the vettes and fbodies and new camaro. LOL

Im all for not buying new vehicles. Lets stop and force GM to go under. Thats the smartest ******* idea Ive heard in forever.

For the record..when you buy used, you are only supporting the local community to which you bought the car from.

Have you ever been to McDonalds during a dinner rush. Do you see how hard they work. Lets assemble a Union of Fastfood Burger Markers....they work just as hard as anyone.

Manual labor doesnt always mean skilled labor. Please explain to me why a guy turing 3 bolts on an assembly line should make more than an acutal mechanic that has to diagnose problems then complete repairs? Does that make sense to you?

GM is barely the number 2 auto producer in the world right now. Barely. Id love to see where you get your stats from.

Customers went from buying GM cars in through the early 80s to imports because build quality took a **** and jap cars were cheaper to buy with superior quality. No ifs ands or buts.

You know GM is still paying out to those union members from their best times right?
WTF, i just said theyve been losing marketshare. what are you talking about? i already said their quality was crap. thats why they lost marketshare. thanks for proving my point.

wtf did i say the UAW designed anything? my point is which you keep missing is you say how great GMs car are yet you bitch about who builds them. too late, GM has already gone under from people not buying them lol.

you bought your car new as i asked earlier? hows that POS running?

yes, retired workers get something called a pension. brilliant discovery lol.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Z Fury
The $1 menu would turn into the $5 menu overnight.
could care less. i dont eat that **** anyway. maybe itll force people that do to start eating right lol.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

GMs marketshare was over 30% in 97.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m.../ai_n10113945/

near record low levels now at 17%

http://www.dailyfinance.com/story/fo...-low/19645877/

kicking *** lol.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:41 PM
12 Second Club

could care less. i dont eat that **** anyway. maybe itll force people that do to start eating right lol.
Union favorite word.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Unions favorite word.

ok lol.

those poor corporations that pay people millions to negotiate contracts. do you feel sorry for them too? ill bet you take many unions members money at your restaurant?
Old 10-19-2010, 03:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 180ls1
not to mention the unions trying to lobby the federal govt out of our tax dollars so they could still have their cushy retirement when they are taking it right from others.

unlike those financial institutions? they really made the best of that bailoput money lol.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by proporio
Gettlefinger is such an inspiration, and source of wisdom.
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...ntly-interview
"A union is the only instrument that gives working men and women any sort of equity and justice in the workplace." Ron Gettlefinger
why dont you debate him and let me know how it turns out since you think youre smarter than him.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This is wrong on so many levels but I'm not surprised you think this. I asked it in a previous post, whats wrong with letting the market decide what these people should be paid? Remove these bullshit unions, and let these companies pay them what they want to. The wage will settle at an agreeable point for both parties; if the pay is too much the company wont hire, if the pay is too low you have lower quality workers or people will leave. These are things about the free market that unions cant seem to grasp. The invisible hand would solve this all, but then the uneducated might have to sell their big screen and new car.

Quick Reply: UAW Pickets Themselves