Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Holden Confirms Commodore Will Return To the US Under Chevrolet

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 02:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thank you holden! you never disappoint. now a ute version please?
I doubt they will call this a caprice. The Holden Statesman is the caprice cops are getting.
I cant think of any good names. Nova definitly wouldnt work. I thought G8 worked well but Chevy G8 doesnt ring well.
Now Chevrolet VXR8, i could deal with
Old 11-22-2010, 02:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Codprice
I doubt they will call this a caprice. The Holden Statesman is the caprice cops are getting.
I cant think of any good names. Nova definitly wouldnt work. I thought G8 worked well but Chevy G8 doesnt ring well.
Now Chevrolet VXR8, i could deal with
No more Alpha-Numerics for cryin' out loud.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chevy Colt

haha just kidding.

it not going to be the Caprice because they're making those for cops.
its not going to be the Impala, because as said, the Impala is sticking around and getting refreshed (i heard for the 2014 model year) and will be on the same platform as the Buick Regal.

if they go with old names i can see it being called the Lumina.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Codprice

Hell yes.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:21 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Makes no sense to offer the current Malibu, a refreshed version of the current Impala, and now this V8 RWD sedan. Drop one of the other two, and use that name. How many cars do they need to compete in the mid-to-full sized car class?

If they were to use this car to replace the current Malibu instead, then I'd like to see both 2 and 4 door offerings, with the 2-door being a Chevelle. That would be accurate usage of both nameplates then.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 11-22-2010 at 03:58 PM.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:57 PM
Launching!

I don't think the Malibu is going anywhere, as that car has been a bright spot and a good seller for chevy.

I say just give it a new name and if Chevy wants to add a sporty version, then just attach the familiar SS tags to it (Like they've always done). After awhile, the badge switching while trying to bring back some faded glory gets corny and makes cars stale.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Makes no sense to offer the current Malibu, a refreshed version of the current Impala, and now this V8 RWD sedan. Drop one of the other two, and use that name. How many cars do they need to compete in the mid-to-full sized car class?

If they were to use this car to replace the current Malibu instead, then I'd like to see both 2 and 4 door offerings, with the 2-door being a Chevelle. That would be accurate usage of both nameplates then.
I'm with you on this one. I think this car could have been prime material to be the next Impala (one of many GM cars that NEVER should have gone FWD). They need to be careful about the lineup they bring in......already a few cars that would compete with this Holden import under the Chevy banner. The only other thing I could see is them offering this purely as a performance sedan, but I can't put my finger on what (other than the Caprice) they could call it. A classic badge might move the car better, or at least get it more notice. But it's possible that we'll see a brand new badge here, which could be good also. As long as it's not something gay.......like the Chevrolet Drift.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:14 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Originally Posted by lbls1
I don't think the Malibu is going anywhere, as that car has been a bright spot and a good seller for chevy.
Malibu sales have slightly out-paced Impala sales, so from that perspective I would agree. However, it remains to be seen how popular the "refreshed" Impala might be, vs. a more aged (but currently popluar) Malibu.

Would this car be big enough to serve as a "full-sized" car replacement for an Impala though? Maybe the Malibu-size class is a better place for it.

Either way, the fact still remains that Chevy may be moving backward (business-wise) by adding this car without dropping something else. This car will likely draw just as many sales away from Malibu/Impala as it does from other OEMs. Internal competition has been a big problem for GM in recent decades, they just don't have the marketshare of the '60s, and never will again. Don't get me wrong, I'm all about having more V8 RWD cars at our disposal, but it also needs to make good business sense and be profitable to last.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:57 PM
Banned

either AWD option. or leave it down under
Old 11-22-2010, 05:05 PM
***Repost Police***

It makes more sense to drop the Impala than the Malibu... the Commodore just isn't the Accord/Camry/Altima/etc competitor that the Malibu is. And that is a segment that GM can not afford to ignore again.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:19 PM
Launching!

^Chevy has to be careful if they intend to add this car with their current line-up. Save for the Toyota Avalon and some of the luxury sedans, there isn't a big market for rwd large sedans outside of the limousine and law enforcement segments.

It will also be risky replacing Impala with this Holden because the Impala is aimed at the market that supports Toyota Camry, Honda Accord, and to a lesser extent the Nissan Maxima. Camry and Accord are the benchmark cars in this field, in which they hold big sales numbers despite being fwd. Impala has the platform formula right but, being that its still stodgy and dated in its design, lags behind its main competitors in sales.

To make the Holden package work, GM has to make it look, feel and perform like a modern sedan. Save the performance package for the "niche" brand buyers. It has potential but it will need careful marketing.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:27 PM
Banned

is the CTS the same plate form as the holden?
Old 11-23-2010, 12:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Malibu sales have slightly out-paced Impala sales, so from that perspective I would agree. However, it remains to be seen how popular the "refreshed" Impala might be, vs. a more aged (but currently popluar) Malibu.
The Malibu and Impala are getting refreshes. The Impala is a virtual fleet car and not a strong retail seller, like the Pontiac G6. It's GM's number 1 rental/taxi queen. The Malibu isn't competitive so GM is trying to fix that with a revamp.

The Commodore is different. It is a fullsize car in the same class as the Dodge Charger with nothing in comming with any other Chevy sedan. People who want it will not likely be cross-shopping it with FWD Chevy products. The car under Pontiac was consistently selling near 3,000 per month near the end. That's higher volume than Hyundai sells Genesis sedans and Dodge sells Challengers. Under a much stronger brand like Chevrolet that number could easily double.

Holden also needs the added volume to stay solvent. They are a tiny operation and cannot absorb repeated product blows like the Pontiac export program getting cancelled. They will be exporting their Caprice to Chevrolet here. By adding the Commodore that's even more units for the line (the same line assembles all theirs which are of one structure). The Commodore also has the Ute and wagon models that Chevrolet could also carry to offer even more volume to the bottom line. GM had plans in place to sell both the Ute and wagon as Pontiac G8 styles in the US before bankruptcy.

Holden is not a detriment to Chevrolet. Holden is making Chevrolet extremely competitive if not the one to beat in the law enforcement vehicle market. They can also provide Chevrolet a real competitor to the Dodge Charger and Chrysler 300, whose total volume is substantial and they occupy their class virtually unopposed. There is money to be made there from those customers as well as people in the southern and southwest US as well as enthusiasts all over.

It's a win for Chevrolet and a win for Holden.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Big_Bird_WS6
is the CTS the same plate form as the holden?
No, it's 100% American and on Sigma which has been around a long time and is unique to Cadillac.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:16 PM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Should be named, Chevelle SS.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:27 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Very good news, love the Commodore/G8 line and I'll love this car as a Chevrolet as well.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:44 PM
12 Second Club

Chevette SS
Old 11-23-2010, 01:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Holden Sport Sedan Returns to the US Again

November 22, 2010 / By Mike Connor

With rear drive and a punchy V-8 under the hood, the Pontiac G8 was the first real sport sedan for Pontiac in decades, and we mourned its demise when GM killed off the Excitement Division as part of its post-bankruptcy rationalization.

But it appears the G8 will make a comeback -- only this time wearing Chevy badges. Three GM sources have confirmed to Motor Trend the Australian-sedan will re-appear on the U.S. market as a Chevy in the coming year. And it won't be called Impala. "We have a good name for it," smiled one of the sources.

Bringing back the G8 as a Chevy seemed such a no-brainer -- all the certification and engineering work required to transform the Holden Commodore into a Pontiac had already been paid for by the Old GM -- it's a surprise it's taken so long. Part of the reason for the delay, we understand, is that GM wanted to wait for a mid-cycle refresh on the Holden Commodore.

Cost is a problem. With the Australian dollar now on par with the greenback, shipping cars from Australia is now an expensive proposition. In addition, some minor re-certification work will also likely need to be performed to get the car back to U.S. spec. Because of this, and CAFE requirements, the Chevy sedan will only be available as a V-8, and in relatively limited numbers. Holden has also developed a U.S. market version of its mechanically identical Caprice long wheelbase sedan for police applications, but GM continues to insist that it will be for law enforcement duty only.

"The Commodore Zeta 1 architecture offers us so much with rear-wheel drive performance," says one of our sources. "The synergy between motor compartment packaging of the Commodore and HSV products versus what we do here with Camaro and Corvette means the opportunities are endless."

Old 11-23-2010, 02:45 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I honestly think Chevrolet Commodore would work very well.
It has a good ring to it and is a fresh name for 99% of the American public.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm glad to see this happening, finally some competition for the Charger/300c scene.

Quick Reply: Holden Confirms Commodore Will Return To the US Under Chevrolet