Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Holden Confirms Commodore Will Return To the US Under Chevrolet

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 11:17 PM
ZV8
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Naming it a chevelle makes the most sense, since the ute is on the same platform as the commodore just like the old chevelle's were built on the same chassis as the El Camino's so if they wanted a even more legit nastalgic feeling they would name it Chevelle and bring in an El Camino name too! However I hope they make 2 door options but with a comfy adult sized back seat much more trunk space basicaly a better sedan to seperate it from a camaro with its limited trunk and back passenger space, and not take away sales from it. Really they need to make the camaro much lighter though cause the chevelle is suppose to be the heavy chevy not the camaro!
Old 11-28-2010, 02:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Cheap Guy
Obviously I'm in the minority here, but I'm tired of GM coming out with these gimmick cars like the GTO, G8, Solstice, and even the entire Saturn division. I'd rather they spend their time and money focusing on and improving the core product. A nice sport version of the Malibu, Equinox, and Cruze would do more for the bottom line. Save the money and look at coming out with a sedan based on the current Camaro platform or the upcoming Epsilon II platform.

I like performance cars just like everyone else on this platform but an imported RWD sedan from Australia has already been done (twice) and failed. I think if GM had just come out with a better Grand Prix rather than the G8, Pontiac may have survived.
The problem wasn't that the cars aren't good, or even that people don't want them. The problem is that their marketing sucks and there's very little exposure to their products outside of Transformers movies and the rare commercial for something that isn't a truck.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:14 PM
WANNABE GENIUS

Originally Posted by XxGarbSxX
The problem wasn't that the cars aren't good, or even that people don't want them. The problem is that their marketing sucks and there's very little exposure to their products outside of Transformers movies and the rare commercial for something that isn't a truck.
Def agree!!! They never advertise anything beyond the Trucks
Old 11-28-2010, 08:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheap Guy
Obviously I'm in the minority here, but I'm tired of GM coming out with these gimmick cars like the GTO, G8, Solstice, and even the entire Saturn division.
Gimmick? How so? The GTO, G8 and Solstice have been the best all around cars that pontiac has ever seen. Previous pontiac sedans are nothing but a total joke compared to the G8.

I'd rather they spend their time and money focusing on and improving the core product. A nice sport version of the Malibu, Equinox, and Cruze would do more for the bottom line.
They already do this... It doesn't seem to work to well either considering that making a sport version of those cars is like polishing a turd (compared to actual sporty RWD/AWD cars that is).
Chevy desperately needs a sporty RWD sedan that doesn't drive or handle like a boat.
Save the money and look at coming out with a sedan based on the current Camaro platform or the upcoming Epsilon II platform.
Uh, they do...
The Camaro platform is a shrunken Zeta sedan chassis, and the Epsilon 2 is going to be use on 2012 cars (likely boring FWD cars)

I like performance cars just like everyone else on this platform but an imported RWD sedan from Australia has already been done (twice) and failed.
Neither really failed. The GTO (Holden Monaro) was done with its production for that generation by '07, so ofcourse there would be no more GTO as well here. The main problem with the car was its name, "GTO" comes with big expectations, its not really fit for a luxury coupe that the Holden was. And the G8 sold pretty well, but Pontiacs fate was already sealed when it got here.
I think if GM had just come out with a better Grand Prix rather than the G8, Pontiac may have survived.
That would have been like throwing an extra anchor on an already sinking boat. The last thing GM needs is another cheaply engineered boring FWD sedan. The G8 was one of the best things that Pontiac could ask for.
Seriously which would you rather drive, a sleek performance sedan made for track performance and handling or a bloated nose heavy FWD car that understeers and torque steers everywhere?

X10000
And as I mentioned above the name "GTO" just wasn't right for that car, too high of exceptions for the car. They should have named it the G8, and then when the Commodore got here they could have called it the G8 sedan.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

All I know is when they release this, I will buy one for my wife. Gm has no performance sedan at a competitive price. Cts-v is too expensive and the camaro is fugly and not a family car. My wife will be receiving one as soon as they hit the lots. Smart move gm, the g8 was an amazing car!!!
Old 11-28-2010, 10:17 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Gimmick? How so? The GTO, G8 and Solstice have been the best all around cars that pontiac has ever seen.
Originally Posted by 02ws666
Smart move gm, the g8 was an amazing car!!!
Agreed.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i wonder when this will happen? anyone have a guess?
Old 11-29-2010, 12:09 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 02ws666
i wonder when this will happen? anyone have a guess?
Most likely a late 2012 model given the basic architecture is already there so they just need sheetmetal, but also that this is the first it's been published as more than just hearsay.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:18 PM
TECH Regular

Does anyone know if you can get it in an M6 version or will it just be the A6 like the new PPV?
Old 11-29-2010, 02:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

^I would hope it would be like the GT and GXP G8's. A6 with an option of an M6 on limited edition models. They would lose alot of sales if it was only an A6 option I feel.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ugh. late 2012.. that blows. i bet they have em out by the end of 2011
Old 11-29-2010, 04:16 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Originally Posted by mac62989
^I would hope it would be like the GT and GXP G8's. A6 with an option of an M6 on limited edition models. They would lose alot of sales if it was only an A6 option I feel.
Manual trans would/will be a small percentage of the sales, IMO.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:19 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by JD_AMG

I don't see much difference there. Actually the GP might look a little bit better to me. But that's just visual, quality of materials might be what you're getting at.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:26 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Manual trans would/will be a small percentage of the sales, IMO.
But in a car like this, ignoring the fact that many people want a manual transmission would be exactly the kind of shortsightedness that got GM into this whole debacle in the first place.
I don't see much difference there. Actually the GP might look a little bit better to me. But that's just visual, quality of materials might be what you're getting at.
In my opinion, the G8's interior (and GTO) exudes a higher quality than any car GM has made in the past 20-30 years short of a recent Cadillac. Whereas the GP has always looked like a rental car.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:54 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
But in a car like this, ignoring the fact that many people want a manual transmission would be exactly the kind of shortsightedness that got GM into this whole debacle in the first place.
I'm not saying they should ignore anything. There SHOULD be a manual offering; I'm just saying that to assume the manual trans will be "a lot" of sales is not accurate. This car won't appeal to manual trans buyers in the way Camaro or Corvette does. Subjective to the overall sales volume, manuals will not be a big portion of the sales IMO.

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
In my opinion, the G8's interior (and GTO) exudes a higher quality than any car GM has made in the past 20-30 years short of a recent Cadillac. Whereas the GP has always looked like a rental car.
I really don't see how anyone can look at those two pics and see any significant difference in "apparent" quality. Maybe the materials feel nicer, but just looking at both the only difference I see is a touch screen navi (which I hate anyway).

As for the GTO interior, it had very nice quality materials, but the design did not appeal to me visually.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

^I feel that just like the G8 GXP a limited edition version of this vehicle would be good to appeal to the smaller percentage who want a manual performance sedan. You are correct originally I was thinking like an F-Body owner who generally would perfer an M6. Alot of moms will drive this car but their will be those who want a 400+ HP American sedan that isnt in the German cars price range.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Pontiac was already a dead brand by the early 00s. Once the Firebird was killed and they started renaming all their cars G-this and G-that and selling nearly half of them to fleets the writing was on the wall.

The Holden Monaro (GTO) and Holden Commodore (G8) were colassal wastes of fantastic cars on a tarnished and flatlining brand that had no hope of selling them. The Solstice was completely out of character for Pontiac as well.

Holden exports their cars as Chevrolets to other parts of the world. Aussies even put "Chev" badges on their Holdens. Holden is basically the Chevrolet of Australia, but they cook up much better blue collar cars than we do.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by justin455
Most likely a late 2012 model given the basic architecture is already there so they just need sheetmetal, but also that this is the first it's been published as more than just hearsay.
It's just getting a bowtie on the front like the Caprice.

They just have to put them on boats bound for the US.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:41 AM
***Repost Police***

^
That is bland car. I'd rather buy the new Charger, even though GM has the better powertrain. I'd have to say that even the Malibu has better styling than that.
Take this as you will, but you seem like exactly the type of buyer that Pontiac was trying to cater to the last 10-15 years they were around; where other people see classic lines and good proportions, you see "bland." And of course there's the GP vs. G8 interior thing. Did you think the '05 GTO looked better than the '04 because of the hood scoops and dual exhaust?
Old 11-30-2010, 12:42 AM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^ agreed. Its just a G8 with a bowtie and no scoops.

Quick Reply: Holden Confirms Commodore Will Return To the US Under Chevrolet