Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

V6 F150 creams the V8 competition

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 04:02 PM
***Repost Police***

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 5.0 is priced very competitively against the Chevy 4.8/5.3 trucks, and outperforms those pretty handily.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:06 PM
Banned

watch all episodes of the torture test

http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/expe...9m2nop20101101

Old 12-11-2010, 04:11 PM
***Repost Police***

Yeah, nobody mentioned that this is the same engine that did all of the other torture testing. So this comparison was done with a 162k mile Ecoboost.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:11 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
The 5.0 is priced very competitively against the Chevy 4.8/5.3 trucks, and outperforms those pretty handily.
It does huh? The 6.2 is a 1070$ option. Not to mention time and again we've shown on the truck side of this forum the fords even with decent numbers doesnt equate to a good performer.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Ruthless Robbie
watch all episodes of the torture test

http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/expe...9m2nop20101101

Yeah, nobody mentioned that this is the same engine that did all of the other torture testing. So this comparison was done with a 162k mile Ecoboost.
Ford propaganda, ya'll are the same guys that believe all the **** Mike Rowe and Dennis Leary spews even though half of it is wrong

Again I think this motor is going to be good but to say its better than what is offered by GM is just an outright fallacy.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:15 PM
***Repost Police***

Sure you can get a base Silverado with crappy equipment and throw the 6.2 in there if you JUST want a work truck. But tons of people want a truck with actual equipment. And once you put actual stuff that people want on the trucks, the prices are similar. I understand the 6.2 is a great motor, but everybody is so quick to throw the 4.8 and 5.3 under the bus. Are they completely-useless motors?
Old 12-11-2010, 04:17 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Ford propaganda, ya'll are the same guys that believe all the **** Mike Rowe and Dennis Leary spews even though half of it is wrong

Again I think this motor is going to be good but to say its better than what is offered by GM is just an outright fallacy.
Prove it wrong then. They have the tests on video, and they're all using the same engine. IF GM had done the same thing, I'm sure you'd be quick to believe it.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:26 PM

Sure you can get a base Silverado with crappy equipment and throw the 6.2 in there if you JUST want a work truck. But tons of people want a truck with actual equipment. And once you put actual stuff that people want on the trucks, the prices are similar. I understand the 6.2 is a great motor, but everybody is so quick to throw the 4.8 and 5.3 under the bus. Are they completely-useless motors?
Theyre old motors slated to be replaced next year, theyve been around since 1999. Granted we're talking about what is available right now but right now the 6.2 is available for people wanting power and the little fellas for grandpa who only hauls a cooler in the bed and Fido. The two trucks the Ford 6.2 is available in are 50K trucks, I seriously doubt everyone who wants to tow like these motors are touted as being wants to pay that premium just to get one.

As with anything there are exceptions to the rule and it just so happens one of the dirt contractors I deal with all the time has an 09 platinum edition that he bogs off into the muddy jobsites.
Prove it wrong then. They have the tests on video, and they're all using the same engine. IF GM had done the same thing, I'm sure you'd be quick to believe it.
Because they cant edit a video to suit their needs? I bet you think the stupid Tundra commercials were all done in one try too huh?

No I dont believe the **** posted by a manufacturer regardless of who it is, I do on the otherhand believe the 5.3s that have 400K on them that my company runs. They get beat to **** and the oil changed every 5K. And the countless other GM truck motors running around with hundreds of thousands of miles and still performing grat. I just dont see an ecoboost lasting that long. Not that it matters if it lasts forever thats great, but under-performing(compared to the bigger motors) and costing more isnt a recipe for a successful platform.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:28 PM
***Repost Police***

Obviously your company is dumb for not getting 6.2s, as those are apparently the only trucks worth buying.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:58 PM

Obviously your company is dumb for not getting 6.2s, as those are apparently the only trucks worth buying.
My company hasnt bought any Gm trucks since 2000, so they werent available then, not to mention we do not tow anything. We carry very little equipment to jobsites for testing so there is no need for any V8 trucks. Not to mention we now buy Ford trucks because the base work truck stripper models are cheaper through our supplier. We did Dodges for a few years and even though theyre the cheapest we had so many problems with them and horrible gas mileage we went to Fords since they were the next cheapest.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:10 PM
***Repost Police***

I can see the Ecoboost being the best choice out of all the half-ton trucks for people that use their trucks like the majority of people; daily driver, occasionally throwing some stuff in the back, and every once in a while towing a small boat or jetski. It's not a "towing engine," it's just an engine that can tow. And it tows quite well.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:15 PM

The average 4.8 in an extended cab gets 20-21mpg on teh highway and is going to be almost 4K less how many miles at 26mpg is going to take ot get that back. Its just like teh people who buy a hybrid at 30K instead of a gas miser at 14K. The mpg savings you get for the intial hit jsut isnt there. In your scenario towing a non factor since they arent going to be towing anything heavy its strictly a cost per mpg ratio that ecoboost doesnt do so well in either. This would be a great seller if it were cheaper.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:23 PM
***Repost Police***

It might only get 5-6mpg more, but it has 63hp and 115lb/ft more. So you're paying for a truck that can get out of its own way, still get good gas mileage, and tow your 9,000lb boat every once in a while.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:34 PM

Youre right it does a lot of things good, but Im afraid its going to get stuck in the middle where no one wants it. Sure it gets decent mileage but if you want mileage you can get one of the other little engines for much cheaper. If you want to tow you can get the bigger engine thats still cheaper and has more power. If Ford is smart they will allow the 6.2 to be put in other trim levels otherwise theyre going to have to continue to rely on their commercial gimmicks to sell trucks.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:35 PM
TECH Resident

Where are you getting prices from? And why compare the 4.8 to this when the non-turbo 3.7 puts out the same horsepower with a little less torque than the 4.8 does. That goes for cheaper than the 4.8 and gets better gas mileage. I think the Ecoboost is a good engine for someone that might need to tow but usually doesn't, the benefit of boost when you need it and good MPG when you don't.

Hell, with out driving them how do you even know what the torque is like? Looking at the TQ rating on both, the Ecoboost is making max torque at 2500rpm compared to 4600 and 4400 for the 4.8 and 5.3.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:40 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Youre right it does a lot of things good, but Im afraid its going to get stuck in the middle where no one wants it. Sure it gets decent mileage but if you want mileage you can get one of the other little engines for much cheaper. If you want to tow you can get the bigger engine thats still cheaper and has more power. If Ford is smart they will allow the 6.2 to be put in other trim levels otherwise theyre going to have to continue to rely on their commercial gimmicks to sell trucks.
They haven't had much trouble with that the past... 33 years or so.
Originally Posted by gocartone
Where are you getting prices from? And why compare the 4.8 to this when the non-turbo 3.7 puts out the same horsepower with a little less torque than the 4.8 does. That goes for cheaper than the 4.8 and gets better gas mileage. I think the Ecoboost is a good engine for someone that might need to tow but usually doesn't, the benefit of boost when you need it and good MPG when you don't.

Hell, with out driving them how do you even know what the torque is like? Looking at the TQ rating on both, the Ecoboost is making max torque at 2500rpm compared to 4600 and 4400 for the 4.8 and 5.3.
Some people just like to bitch.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:57 PM

They haven't had much trouble with that the past... 33 years or so.

Some people just like to bitch.
Reading comprehension isnt a skill you have is it? Thats why I said they will ahve to CONTINUE relying on their commercial gimmicks to sell trucks. GM has continually outpaced them in every performance aspect. They put up all these good numbers but dont deliver. Hell look at the pitiful excuse for a diesel motor Ford just put out. Yeah its rated at 400/800 which is the best ratings in the industry yet the LML ran circles around it unloaded and loaded with better acceleration, towing ability and MPG. Sorry I dont just read press releases and believe it. Then this year Ford catches GM right before they unleash all the new GEN V stuff and tout it as the savior to the truck people I dont believe it.

The ecoboost is nice I havent said once its not, there just isnt a place for it. People who want mileage arent going to pay the premium for the ecoboost, people who want towing power are going to go for the one with the most power and the fact that it cost less is icing on the cake. Ford is a victim of their own creation, having all these engine choices available is only going to make it more difficult to sell an underperforming overpriced engine.

Who buys trucks for mileage? Mainly fleet companies such as mine, but we're not going to pay the premium for the ecoboost for the marginal gains over the other "small" motors they offer.

My point all along has been it doesnt deliver for the price and isnt top dog when you compare it to what GM has to offer. For the price the L92 delivers cheaper and more, yes with less mileage but if youre looking for power normally mileage isnt of upmost importance. The ecoboost is a niche powerplant. It is probably a sign of things to come, with some refinement IE more power and less upfront cost it could be a real player in the full size truck market but in its current form its destine to be an oddity.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:21 PM
***Repost Police***

The sales will tell the story. You think it won't do well, I do. Let's see who's right in a year.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:43 PM

I guess we will see. Competition is a good thing. Out of all the **** Ford has come up with why didnt they produce a new Bronco? This thing was badass
http://www.roadfly.com/magazine/11/ford_bronco.html
Between my dad and I we have 5 of the first gen broncos, only two are running and the other are for parts but they are awesome little vehicles. I would have loved to buy a new version of it.

And to all those that think Im a Ford hater I bought my wife a Lincoln Aviator, I like Ford products I just think their truck lineup is severely lacking in the drivetrain department especially for someone who likes to mod stuff like me. The interior and exterior of the F150 are nicer but the drivetrain sucks.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:03 PM
TECH Regular

I wouldn't mind a compact SUV with the ecoboost.
The Flex is nice, but I'd really like a Ford Edge (or MKX) with an ecoboost.

Yeah, I went really off track.

Quick Reply: V6 F150 creams the V8 competition