TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default V6 F150 creams the V8 competition

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...slt/index.html

seems to me like GM needs a better base V8 or do some major tweaks to the 5.3
Old 12-11-2010, 10:41 AM
Restricted User

First, from what the article says, that truck was not a production vehicle...so as they say, take the numbers with a grain of...well, they're bullshit.

But lets say for the sake of argument, they are valid. The outcome is about what is to be expected for a 360+hp twin turbo V6 vs. a 320hp V8. The F-150 was also geared significantly lower overall. I don't see the big deal really...basically you have a 360hp motor vs. a 320hp motor pulling a load that is well within both trucks capability. I would expect the 360hp motor to win too. The important question to ask here is - what's the point of the ecoboost? It's not going to be any more efficient than the V8 while towing (probably worse), and it's never going to hold up over a lifetime of towing the way that the gen IV V8's have proven to hold up (and the Ford modulars can be included there too...both engines are essentially bulletproof). While it's commendable of Ford to throw this idea out onto the table, I don't see it being a viable option since truck buyers are going to see the Ecoboost as exactly what it essentially is...a V6. The Ecoboost equipped F150 is going to be far more expensive than competitor's V6 offerings, so it won't sell.

When it comes to full size trucks, the newest design pretty much always wins. Saying "the new Ford beat the 4 year old Chevy" really is saying nothing at all. GM has the new Gen V equipped trucks coming next year, so they'll be back on top at that point, until it's Ford's turn again. It's been this way forever in the truck world.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

though its considerably more good job by ford. chevy should offer a 3.73 option.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:07 AM
TECH Regular

well i dont think its a direct competitor to the other brands v6
Old 12-11-2010, 11:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Blakbird24
First, from what the article says, that truck was not a production vehicle...so as they say, take the numbers with a grain of...well, they're bullshit.

But lets say for the sake of argument, they are valid. The outcome is about what is to be expected for a 360+hp twin turbo V6 vs. a 320hp V8. The F-150 was also geared significantly lower overall. I don't see the big deal really...basically you have a 360hp motor vs. a 320hp motor pulling a load that is well within both trucks capability. I would expect the 360hp motor to win too. The important question to ask here is - what's the point of the ecoboost? It's not going to be any more efficient than the V8 while towing (probably worse), and it's never going to hold up over a lifetime of towing the way that the gen IV V8's have proven to hold up (and the Ford modulars can be included there too...both engines are essentially bulletproof). While it's commendable of Ford to throw this idea out onto the table, I don't see it being a viable option since truck buyers are going to see the Ecoboost as exactly what it essentially is...a V6. The Ecoboost equipped F150 is going to be far more expensive than competitor's V6 offerings, so it won't sell.

When it comes to full size trucks, the newest design pretty much always wins. Saying "the new Ford beat the 4 year old Chevy" really is saying nothing at all. GM has the new Gen V equipped trucks coming next year, so they'll be back on top at that point, until it's Ford's turn again. It's been this way forever in the truck world.

The point of the Ecoboost is for the average 1500/F150 series driver. Take my father for example. He owns a 2002 Silverado 4x4 with the 4.8. He seriously tows with it MAYBE 5 times a year. The rest of the year he just likes to have a bed because its easy to get stuff in and out of. He also puts ~20k miles on it per year. The Ecoboost is PERFECT for him. He needs an engine that will get great gas mileage, but have the capability to tow our boat a few times per year. For someone that is towing a few times a week, this is not the engine. But for light towing, and all the moms out there driving Expeditions/ Tahoes, this is a great engine. I just hope GM comes back within the next few years with a comparable engine.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:34 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

GM has the new Gen V equipped trucks coming next year, so they'll be back on top at that point, until it's Ford's turn again.
Really? I didn't know it was that soon. Got any sources I can check out?
Old 12-11-2010, 11:35 AM
TECH Regular

well to counter this articul the new HD silverado did win truck of the year
Old 12-11-2010, 02:30 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by k0261886
The point of the Ecoboost is for the average 1500/F150 series driver. Take my father for example. He owns a 2002 Silverado 4x4 with the 4.8. He seriously tows with it MAYBE 5 times a year. The rest of the year he just likes to have a bed because its easy to get stuff in and out of. He also puts ~20k miles on it per year. The Ecoboost is PERFECT for him. He needs an engine that will get great gas mileage, but have the capability to tow our boat a few times per year. For someone that is towing a few times a week, this is not the engine. But for light towing, and all the moms out there driving Expeditions/ Tahoes, this is a great engine. I just hope GM comes back within the next few years with a comparable engine.
Exactly. And as far as the longevity of the Ecoboost, that's all up to speculation. But there was this;

Originally Posted by Motor Trend
For those who haven't been following Ford's EcoBoost marketing plan, Ford pulled a random 3.5L V-6 EcoBoost engine off the line (#448AA), did some dyno testing (for an equivalent of 150,000 miles), then mounted it into a SuperCrew XLT for some towing (11,000 pounds for 24 hours around a NASCAR track) and hauling (26 tons of logs at an Oregon tree mill) and racing (the Baja 1000) situations.
Old 12-11-2010, 02:32 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by k0261886
The Ecoboost is not going to get "great" gas mileage. The Taurus SHO is mustering a (real world) best of 22-24mpg highway, and most owners are seeing averages (mixed driving) in the 17-19mpg range. So expect more like 15-16mpg average in the F150. Try towing with it, and lose another 4-5mpg. Basically, you're looking at the gas mileage of a V8 with only six cylinders worth of torque. The turbos certainly do a good job of making up for it, but you are still going to have some lag, so you WILL be reminded that you are driving a six cylinder regardless of the top end power.

And again, I can't put enough emphasis on the effect that this being a "six cylinder" truck will have on sales. I really think it's going to be a rough road for this truck if Ford is even going ahead with it. I will say however, that I would certainly consider it at the right price point...however I know what this engine is all about, it's not JUST a six cylinder motor to me. The general public will need alot of education from Ford's marketing.

Originally Posted by WSSick
Really? I didn't know it was that soon. Got any sources I can check out?
Yessir.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/14/r...verado-and-gm/
Old 12-11-2010, 02:43 PM
***Repost Police***

The Ecoboost is not going to get "great" gas mileage. The Taurus SHO is mustering a (real world) best of 22-24mpg highway, and most owners are seeing averages (mixed driving) in the 17-19mpg range. So expect more like 15-16mpg average in the F150. Try towing with it, and lose another 4-5mpg. Basically, you're looking at the gas mileage of a V8 with only six cylinders worth of torque. The turbos certainly do a good job of making up for it, but you are still going to have some lag, so you WILL be reminded that you are driving a six cylinder regardless of the top end power.

And again, I can't put enough emphasis on the effect that this being a "six cylinder" truck will have on sales. I really think it's going to be a rough road for this truck if Ford is even going ahead with it. I will say however, that I would certainly consider it at the right price point...however I know what this engine is all about, it's not JUST a six cylinder motor to me. The general public will need alot of education from Ford's marketing.

Yessir.
I really doubt it's gonna average 15-16mpg when it's rated 19/26, but we'll see. And according to people that have driven it, there is almost ZERO lag. That's exactly what I would expect from a high compression DI 3.5 V6 twin-turbo. From what I understand power comes on pretty early, and when it comes down to it there is 420lb/ft of torque on tap; that's 85lb/ft more than the Silverado, btw.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:02 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
I really doubt it's gonna average 15-16mpg when it's rated 19/26, but we'll see. And according to people that have driven it, there is almost ZERO lag. That's exactly what I would expect from a high compression DI 3.5 V6 twin-turbo. From what I understand power comes on pretty early, and when it comes down to it there is 420lb/ft of torque on tap; that's 85lb/ft more than the Silverado, btw.
What's the Taurus SHO rated? That's the perfect example to look at. I didn't even note the ratings to begin with cause I never looked at them...I just know what the SHO actually gets.

I know the ecoboost is great when it comes to turbo lag...most modern turbo engines are. Bottom line is, there still is some. And all that torque is not going to show up until at least 3000RPM (and that would be damn impressive if it actually did at that speed), whereas the V8 has it under 2000RPM. So I guarantee you that you will know you are driving a V6 no matter how great of a V6 it may be.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:09 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Cool it beats the base V8 from chevrolet, anyone who wants to really tow can get the towing option that comes with a 6.2L L92 and is right in line with the numbers shown by the ecoboost. Oh and it comes with 3.73 gears. **** poor comparison especially at the premium the ecoboost comes with. Ford fanboys need to be more educated on the competition, you cant expect any of the major publications to provide an actual fair comparison.
http://trucks.about.com/od/2007chevy...ilv_update.htm
Good luck little 6 cylinder hanging with a 40hp deficite and only 3 more ftln of tq with the same rear end gear ratio oh and the silverado will still come in a couple grand cheaper.

Last edited by 1slow01Z71; 12-11-2010 at 03:18 PM.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow, seems like this Ford turbo-6 is already causing some hurt feelings and excuse-making from the fanbois.

Old 12-11-2010, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by FordHater
Yea you definitely will feel the fact that you're still driving a v6... under heavy load you're going to have to floor it at every light until the turbo spools. regardless of how many turbos you have and how high of compression the engine is you still will get turbo lag. and i think long-term reliability of the engine will be basically non-existent.
I doubt the turbo lag is that bad honestly, but I really wonder about longevity having to turn some rpm that the inherent lack of tq a little motor produces without being forced fed. I think this engine is going to be a good engine honestly, I doubt it will get extraordinary gas mileage though.

Im interested to see what it will done once tuned. The L92 engines run damn well once tuned with the VVT addition.

Its a good motor but to say its badass compared to the competition is just reckless at best since GM offers the L92 which also comes with 3.73 gears in teh extended cab version or 3.42 in the crew cab.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:35 PM
***Repost Police***

Of course GM offers trucks that would be better at towing... so does Ford. The test was to compare mid-level engines.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:37 PM
TECH Resident

Hahaha...with a user name like FordHater I'm sure your not bias against all things Ford or anything like that right?

I would use the MPG rating they have as to what it's going to get compared to other trucks, but I don't know if the 19/26 is a final rating. You can't go off the worst of what you have been reading about the SHO getting as an average for a truck, that's just silly. I think this is going to be a great truck, most people don't need the V8 torque as they just use their trucks for light loads.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:42 PM

Of course GM offers trucks that would be better at towing... so does Ford. The test was to compare mid-level engines.
Its not a middle level engine, look at the damn price-tag. The 6.2 only comes in the Raptor and the high end platinum edition, the GM 6.2 can be had in every trim level.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/08/11/f...s-ecoboost-v6/
Old 12-11-2010, 03:44 PM
***Repost Police***

Well it's certainly not the top offering. The 5.0 and 6.2 are both above it.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:47 PM

Well it's certainly not the top offering. The 5.0 and 6.2 are both above it.
People care about price more than they care about what tier an engine is classified as. If it costs mroe and performs worse people arent going to buy it. The 6.2 from Ford is a nice motor but isnt available in anything but special models so IMO it doesnt really count for much. Most arent going to buy a Platinum edition or Raptor to tow with. The 5.0 isnt that great, it is well behind both manufacturers 6.2.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

What's the Taurus SHO rated? That's the perfect example to look at. I didn't even note the ratings to begin with cause I never looked at them...I just know what the SHO actually gets.

I know the ecoboost is great when it comes to turbo lag...most modern turbo engines are. Bottom line is, there still is some. And all that torque is not going to show up until at least 3000RPM (and that would be damn impressive if it actually did at that speed), whereas the V8 has it under 2000RPM. So I guarantee you that you will know you are driving a V6 no matter how great of a V6 it may be.
EPA rated at 17/25. Between the two guys at work that have them, the one reports 25 average and the other gets 22. I will admit that the 25 is a solid 90% freeway. I honestly don't think it will go down in the F150, maybe even up. AWD KILLS gas mileage. Without a doubt, there will be a little bit of lag, but I doubt that it will be noticeable. The SHO has 300 lb ft at the wheels by 2750 rpm. My main thing is the comparison. This will not compete with a v8 truck in a direct comparison for towing. However, the consumer needs to make a decision on whether the Ecoboost is good enough at towing to take advantage of the benefits of gas mileage.

Originally Posted by FordHater
Yea you definitely will feel the fact that you're still driving a v6... under heavy load you're going to have to floor it at every light until the turbo spools. regardless of how many turbos you have and how high of compression the engine is you still will get turbo lag. and i think long-term reliability of the engine will be basically non-existent.
That was an incredibly uneducated response. You are living up to your screen name well. Although I do agree that the durability is yet to be proven, especially when Ford Engineers have dubbed this engine "snap, crackle and pop"

Originally Posted by ThisBlood147
Wow, seems like this Ford turbo-6 is already causing some hurt feelings and excuse-making from the fanbois.

agreed

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
I doubt the turbo lag is that bad honestly, but I really wonder about longevity having to turn some rpm that the inherent lack of tq a little motor produces without being forced fed. I think this engine is going to be a good engine honestly, I doubt it will get extraordinary gas mileage though.

Im interested to see what it will done once tuned. The L92 engines run damn well once tuned with the VVT addition.

Its a good motor but to say its badass compared to the competition is just reckless at best since GM offers the L92 which also comes with 3.73 gears in teh extended cab version or 3.42 in the crew cab.
Ask and you shall receive. Livernois tuned SHO

Quick Reply: V6 F150 creams the V8 competition