Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

V6 F150 creams the V8 competition

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 03:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Especially considering that the new 5.0L V8 (DOHC 32V not unlike the Mustang GT) is only $1000.00.
I do like the new Ecoboost twin turbo V6 and think it could make for a decent truck motor but if I were to order a new F-150 it would likely be with the 5.0L.
I like the 5.0 just fine, but for anyone not hauling regularly, the V6 is a viable option from what we've seen. Yes, it cost more. That said, the higher end models draw the price of the 3.5L down along the way... Good sales tactic. Seeing economy paying off the engine is a bonus, but the new 3.5L is really a good option... if it lasts. The 5.0 WILL last, we're already certain of that. They'll offer DI on that within the next 3yrs imo.

Originally Posted by gocartone
X1000000, they could do away with Buick and merge that with Cadillac while they're at it. Can't believe they made it this long making 2-3 of the same model with different body work and a different brand logo slapped on it.
There are differences in those two brands though, and Buicks typically cost much less and lack performance almost entirely as compared to Cadillac. There was a time when the 2 were extremely close, although I'd say Pontiac was almost always closer to Buick than Buick to Cadillac. Idonno about everyone else, but I certainly remember when the Grand Prix, Monte Carlo, Cutlass and Regal were all but identical to look at from a distance(lights made them obvious)...

At this point, I think keeping the Buick is a good idea, although I'm not really into them myself. Keeping Caddy is a no-brainer. Losing Olds was a bummer, but a good business decision. Losing Pontiac REALLY bummed me personally, but again, was a good decision for business. I'd rather have seen Buick leave, but there were stronger reasons to keep that and drop Pontiac.

Back to pickups... I'd REALLY like to see the GMC nameplate on all of them, but I know Chebby is engrained far too deeply for that. With that, dropping GMC, but keeping "Sierra" would be my choice. Oh well, a guy can dream...

'spin fun... gotta walk the dog and call it a night...
Old 01-11-2011, 04:44 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by It'llrun
I like the 5.0 just fine, but for anyone not hauling regularly, the V6 is a viable option from what we've seen. Yes, it cost more. That said, the higher end models draw the price of the 3.5L down along the way... Good sales tactic. Seeing economy paying off the engine is a bonus, but the new 3.5L is really a good option... if it lasts.
Or for that matter, even the base V6 (3.7L NA) motor could do the job as well, it's making more horsepower (but not more of the all too desirable torque of course) as the 4.6L was just a few model years ago.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Talking about a difficult read. My opinion, not that it really matters, Awesome! A turbocharged truck from the factory that isn't diesel. It could be the start for a new Lightning or rival competition from GM or Dodge. Either way, the consumer is the winner or looser on this one. If you do not plan to buy it, why argue. Lets keep information about facts and not opinions. I'm not taking either side on this subject.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Or for that matter, even the base V6 (3.7L NA) motor could do the job as well, it's making more horsepower (but not more of the all too desirable torque of course) as the 4.6L was just a few model years ago.
I think the 3.7L is making more hp than all but the most recent 4.6L used in trucks. I don't think they put the 3V into trucks till like... last year... Why? Got me... Now that I think about it... 2008, for the 09 model. I remember because my gal asked me to go look at them.

As many others, torque IS the issue imo. The 3.7L will be okay on sales if hp is the only question. If real hauling power (ie torque) is a concern, that won't sell well for long. It may feel like it has more tq though... Thanks to the more modern automatics used today. For sales sake, I think they're gonna hope that's the case. On the other hand, GM still sells their low hp/tq 4.3L...

Originally Posted by crazboy99
Talking about a difficult read. My opinion, not that it really matters, Awesome! A turbocharged truck from the factory that isn't diesel. It could be the start for a new Lightning or rival competition from GM or Dodge. Either way, the consumer is the winner or looser on this one. If you do not plan to buy it, why argue. Lets keep information about facts and not opinions. I'm not taking either side on this subject.
Difficult read? Well don't WAIT 10 pages to start!!!

Ya can't expect opinions to not be shared, good or bad. That's just part of the site as it always has been. This is a more subdued thread than some others, I'll say that. Then again, I tend to laugh at foolishness, particularly when it constantly comes from people who think everyone else is stupid.

Ford may offer another Lightning, but realisticaly, that would surely have the 5.0 in DI form or 6.2L in 4V form. The expectation there is, Ford will likely go DI in the Mustang before anything else. So if that happens, MAYBE a new Lightning would be in consideration. As is, they have the SVT Raptor... That's holding "Lightning" spot right now...

The turbo DI thing... THAT'S all what's important now... If this works well, you can bet GM will follow through on any plans to use it(and I think they have some). Dodge will be in there as well. I'd REALLY like to see a turbocharged DI HEMI!!!
Old 01-11-2011, 08:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by It'llrun
As many others, torque IS the issue imo. The 3.7L will be okay on sales if hp is the only question. If real hauling power (ie torque) is a concern, that won't sell well for long. It may feel like it has more tq though... Thanks to the more modern automatics used today. For sales sake, I think they're gonna hope that's the case. On the other hand, GM still sells their low hp/tq 4.3L...
Why would people that are that worried about torque be looking into the base model V6 to begin with? It kicks the **** out of all the other base V6's out there, and not everyone needs to pull a house behind their truck. I know lots of people with full size trucks and the most they have every pulled with it is a quad/snowmobile trailer, the V6 would be way more than enough for them. So for sales sake people that need torque will buy a 3.5/5.0/6.2, people looking for a cheap truck to haul light loads with will buy up that V6. I'm sure they won't have any problem selling it.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:02 PM
TECH Addict

Why would people that are that worried about torque be looking into the base model V6 to begin with?
In a word, EXPENSE. Fleet owners are looking for "cheap" so they can profit. Many of them need pulling power on demand and will forego the 3.7L based on their opinion, if nothing else, due to lack of pulling power. Others will do all they can to make use of that version for the cost differences.

It kicks the **** out of all the other base V6's out there, and not everyone needs to pull a house behind their truck. I know lots of people with full size trucks and the most they have every pulled with it is a quad/snowmobile trailer, the V6 would be way more than enough for them. So for sales sake people that need torque will buy a 3.5/5.0/6.2, people looking for a cheap truck to haul light loads with will buy up that V6. I'm sure they won't have any problem selling it.
I don't really disagree... As noted, GM still offers the once beloved 4.3L and it must sell. Noting how far it is behind most 6's today, that's a wonder all by itself, but it sells... The point though, is that there will be people who'd like it, but believe it won't do what they need their truck to do. Most of those folks will probably "upfit" to the 5.0L, but the 3.5L will draw many to see what it's got. Some will go with the 3.5L because they'll be like most of us, not needing a pulling powerhouse regularly, but wanting a pickup that CAN on the day they need it done.

With that, I think price will be the only sales drawback of the 3.5L because the 5.0L is quite a bit less so far. In time, probably a few yrs, the price will either drop or remain stagnant and then more people may go with the V6 over the 5.0L because that engine price may well increase... Not taking into account any federal regulations... Those are likely to get more stringent too, if this V6 is very successful. That's the only downside to the 3.5L aside from cost, so far.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:06 PM
TECH Resident

I know fleet people will buy it, but how many places use them for towing? I can think of a lot of places that buy V6 base trucks in bulk that will never get hooked to a trailer, but none come to mind that will need more than what it offers. I would bet the 3.7 is going to be the best seller, just as the V6 Mustang/Camaro will out sell the V8 ones. You may need a truck to tow a lot, but 99% of people buying trucks will have more than enough power and torque with the V6.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:10 AM
TECH Addict

I know fleet people will buy it, but how many places use them for towing? I can think of a lot of places that buy V6 base trucks in bulk that will never get hooked to a trailer, but none come to mind that will need more than what it offers. I would bet the 3.7 is going to be the best seller, just as the V6 Mustang/Camaro will out sell the V8 ones. You may need a truck to tow a lot, but 99% of people buying trucks will have more than enough power and torque with the V6.
Okay fine... You asked. I answered... Didn't know it was a debate.

Hey though... why would any 3/4 and 1tons sell if 99% of the buyers of pick ups didn't need towing capability a V6 really isn't ready for? Just curious... heh. The biggest complaint I've heard about 1/2 ton pickups for a long time, specifically the F-150, is lack of towing power with smaller engines. They say it feels weak under load, like it can hardly take off... and that's the 2V 4.6!

Quick Reply: V6 F150 creams the V8 competition