Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Craftsman(USA)Snap-On(China)

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 09:36 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Craftsman(USA)Snap-On(China)

Is it true that Snap-On tools are actually made in China now,eventhough Snap-On is a US company? Do you guys believe Snap-On is much higher quality of a tool than Craftsman or do you think you are mainly paying for the name?http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...an.html?cat=27
Old 01-09-2011, 09:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

i thought snap on was still us and blue point was chinease? Nothing in the article that hinted otherwise. They actually didnt mention blue point

i have personally seen snap on's quality over craftsman. Not saying snap on is the absolute best. But over craftsman most of there tools i see better quality. I have had more craftsman tools break then any other brand i own. Must have replaced a few dozen sockets and ratchets. When snap on i probably just replaced maybe a few torx sockets because the end was tweeked.

i am a technician and own tools from alot of manuf., and when i can, i normally go for my snap on tools. I am mainly talking about hand tools though.

Try reselling tools that arent snap on. You dont get the same resale. You also are paying for a service. When my guy comes around every week he spends average 1-2 hours in the shop making sure everyone is satisfied. Make sure there are no repairs. Showing you any specials he has. Warranty purposes i dont think anyone could match them. All in my opinion

Last edited by MyFirstLS1; 01-09-2011 at 09:57 AM.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:53 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by MyFirstLS1
i have personally seen snap on's quality over craftsman. Not saying snap on is the absolute best. But over craftsman most of there tools i see better quality. I have had more craftsman tools break then any other brand i own. Must have replaced a few dozen sockets and ratchets. When snap on i probably just replaced maybe a few torx sockets because the end was tweeked.
I'm pretty positive that Snap-On hand tools are still made in the US. Craftsman is the same, though their power tools are not made here.

Originally Posted by MyFirstLS1
Try reselling tools that arent snap on. You dont get the same resale. You also are paying for a service. When my guy comes around every week he spends average 1-2 hours in the shop making sure everyone is satisfied. Make sure there are no repairs. Showing you any specials he has. Warranty purposes i dont think anyone could match them. All in my opinion
I've found that resale depends on where you sell them. Remember that the Snap-On trucks only come to the pros. So if you are selling something to a professional mechanic, Snap-On is going to be worth more. However, to the average weekend mechanic, Craftsman is better since all he has to do is get to his local Sears or K-Mart...Snap-On is a few weeks turnaround for him.

I like Snap-On's ratchet action better...other than that, Craftsman is just as good to me.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:18 AM
TECH Regular

I found this link showing where the manufacturing plants are. It looks like most Snap-On tools are still made in the US. http://askville.amazon.com/Snap-tool...uestId=2470040
Old 01-09-2011, 11:54 AM
12 Second Club

A lot if not all Blue Point stuff is from China. But every time I ask my Snap On guy he says it has the same warranty as the Snap On stuff. And yes the quality of Snap On is better, I have Craftsman for home and Snap On for work.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Snap on Handtools and made in USA, but dont think there battery operated tools lights,drill etc are china,
Old 01-12-2011, 06:07 PM
12 Second Club

I'm a "Craftsman guy". I've broken plenty sockets and ratchets, but going down the street and getting a replacement has never been a problem. That's enough for me.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:33 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had too many rachets and wrenchs twist, snap, and non-ratchet from both companies. I buy Kobalt and havent broke one yet.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:24 AM
BMW ///M Nerd

Snap-On for work. Craftsman at the house.

No question Snap On is worlds better than Craftsman. However if all you're doing is the occasional wrenching, Craftsman is all I would buy.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:00 PM
TECH Addict

Throughout much of the 90's, Craftsman Pro, Snap-On and NAPA brand hand tools were supposedly made in the same plant, somewhere in WI or AL. Idonno, but I do know that these days, Craftsman is a mixture of American and imported.

Here, check this out... http://www.stillmadeinusa.com/tools.html

That says not all of either is American made anymore, but it does list some cool stuff... for men, at least.

Wanna learn a little about them, they each have websites... They don't go out of their way to tell you where they build what, outside the USA... but ya know they DO produce some outside.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:02 PM
TECH Regular

I just bought a Snap-on ratchet to replace a lost Mac. The Snap-on does not say USA on it anywhere? My older ones all had USA stamped in them somewhere. Does this mean it was made in China? Just wondering. Kinda sucks you have to guess about these things anymore. I long for the days when things that were made in USA were easy to find.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:58 PM
TECH Addict

You'll probably need to contact SNAP ON to find where it was made. The info is included in the paperwork that came with the tool though. In many cases, if it doesn't have an origin country written/stamped/molded on the tool, it was likely made in America. I think they have to say if made elsewhere, but I'm not sure.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:56 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Believe only Blue-Point is chinese, unless certain electronics. BluePoint, Mac and Matco use the same, rebranded EXACT design on many things.

Far as I know Snap On hand tools, ratchets/screwdriver/sockets/wrenches are ALL made in USA.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:13 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BAD *** TA WS6
Believe only Blue-Point is chinese, unless certain electronics. BluePoint, Mac and Matco use the same, rebranded EXACT design on many things.

Far as I know Snap On hand tools, ratchets/screwdriver/sockets/wrenches are ALL made in USA.
Many people think this, but according to the link I added, SNAP ON does have its own name on hand tools not made in America anymore. That stands to reason, considering they make automobile repair tools, many of which(autos) aren't built or designed in N. America, but are sold here and elsewhere in the world. They wanna compete globally, so they need to spread their opportunities by doing business overseas.

For example: http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog

Snap On website... Says that adjustable wrench(which one should ONLY use in an emergency, btw) is made in Spain...

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog <~ Made in USA.

Most, I do believe, are still made in USA, and that's good with me.

Quick Reply: Craftsman(USA)Snap-On(China)