Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

H/C/I 5.0 makes 507rwhp

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by It'llrun
I never said the 5L was available for 7k ready to run... That's TWICE NOW you've needed to be reminded what's going on around you... Not to be too forward, but you ANSWERED my having told you that in the same post you made this childish remark, essentially for your second time. Then, you have the intellect to ask if I'm stupid??? PAY ATTENTION! I'm not here to make you look like a fool... I didn't expect YOU came here to do that either...
God damn dude. You posted up a price of a complete engine ready to run, versus the Ford which was basically a dressed longblock. Well no **** one costs more than the other. You're comparing to crate engines as swap potential. Don't you think you should include everything necessary to get the engine running?

Maybe I should just quote a price for an LS6 longblock at just over $3000, and say it's a better deal than the 5.0 since the power is nearly the same.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Peak number is impressive but damn the torque is pretty lame. Wonder how a 346 at that same power level would compare torque-wise.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GMmexican
The LSx pound for pound is still the best performance value on earth
Real performance isn't based per pound... THAT would be "ricer math" for sure. There certainly are more capable engines than the LS though, and some actually cost less.

While I could easily argue against your comment, it was truly too "rice-related" for me to waste the time. I will add this, as someone who has no intention to own a 5L for any high performance based build: It's not about how great the LS series is for various obvious reasons, NONE of which happens to be that we're on a "LS1" website. It's about what the 5L has accomplished in short order.

Had ANYONE seen this kind of power from the LS1 within 9mo of release, our performance world would've been standing on its head. Alas, the LS was either too tricky, or the public too leary to make it happen. THIS is why the new 5L is such a special engine. It's been out less than 1yr and in that time, it's powered a Mustang to an 8.89 using almost SOLELY factory parts(for the slow people, this meant the engine, not the rest of the vehicle). It's created some 800hp and continued to run, block and all in tact. It's made over 500 N/A rwhp and it's brought FoMoCo MILLIONS in income. This engine IS the reason the Mustang will remain "on the range" for at least the next 10yrs...

If your best argument against all these accomplishments is, "The LS series is still better!" you may as well go sit in the stands because you're honestly not making sensible a case.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:24 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BLWNV10
Peak number is impressive but damn the torque is pretty lame. Wonder how a 346 at that same power level would compare torque-wise.
Of course a 346 is going to make gobs more torque at the same power-level. That's a given.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:00 PM
On The Tree

You guys are arguing about torque but it doesn't really matter on these, The first guy to try a boss intake at the track.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dhMK...layer_embedded
Old 03-15-2011, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Real performance isn't based per pound... THAT would be "ricer math" for sure. There certainly are more capable engines than the LS though, and some actually cost less.
hp/liter is ricer math..what other engines are more capable than the lsx engines right now?

Had ANYONE seen this kind of power from the LS1 within 9mo of release, our performance world would've been standing on its head. Alas, the LS was either too tricky, or the public too leary to make it happen. THIS is why the new 5L is such a special engine. It's been out less than 1yr and in that time, it's powered a Mustang to an 8.89 using almost SOLELY factory parts(for the slow people, this meant the engine, not the rest of the vehicle). It's created some 800hp and continued to run, block and all in tact. It's made over 500 N/A rwhp and it's brought FoMoCo MILLIONS in income. This engine IS the reason the Mustang will remain "on the range" for at least the next 10yrs...

If your best argument against all these accomplishments is, "The LS series is still better!" you may as well go sit in the stands because you're honestly not making sensible a case.
When the LS engine came out the aftermarket was not as big as it is now...thats a stupid argument to make considering that the ford aftermarket is twice the amount of GM, just look at any ford magazine. I have been on this forum to see the evolution and mods of the LS engine.

vengance making 500rwhp with heads and cam, might mouse daily driving his 8 second lsx
Old 03-15-2011, 09:17 PM
Launching!

hp/liter is ricer math..what other engines are more capable than the lsx engines right now?

When the LS engine came out the aftermarket was not as big as it is now...thats a stupid argument to make considering that the ford aftermarket is twice the amount of GM, just look at any ford magazine. I have been on this forum to see the evolution and mods of the LS engine.

vengance making 500rwhp with heads and cam, might mouse daily driving his 8 second lsx
11.12 at 122 with bolt ons isn't ricer math lol!
Old 03-15-2011, 09:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 451 Likes on 355 Posts

nothin that a 80,000 mile ls6 can't do...check the sig......that's driving it to and back. Any info on that car?
Actually I have a couple mph on him.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kennyxg
11.12 at 122 with bolt ons isn't ricer math lol!
Thats what a $18,000 bone stock c5 zo6 can run
Old 03-15-2011, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by redsap05
You guys are arguing about torque but it doesn't really matter on these, The first guy to try a boss intake at the track.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dhMK...layer_embedded

Or what about Marks car? soon to be the fastest IRS car on earth, 2000hp and he street drives it and picks up his kids from school all the time.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:08 PM
LEO
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats what a $18,000 bone stock c5 zo6 can run
Actually on the Corvette Forum, the fastest bolt-on C5 Z06 ran a 11.2X @ 122.X mph. Most stock C5 Z06's run around 12.0-12.50's @ 112-116 mph depending on driver skill.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 451 Likes on 355 Posts

All I know is how a ls6 in a Camaro runs
Old 03-15-2011, 11:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
God damn dude. You posted up a price of a complete engine ready to run, versus the Ford which was basically a dressed longblock. Well no **** one costs more than the other. You're comparing to crate engines as swap potential. Don't you think you should include everything necessary to get the engine running?
I posted the pricing as it is, and that's all I did.

You call the 5L a "dressed longblock" so tell us what's missing? My "price quote" included the engine, harness/pcm kit and alternator... What else are we looking for here? Seriously, if there's more it's not telling us, share it.

Maybe I should just quote a price for an LS6 longblock at just over $3000, and say it's a better deal than the 5.0 since the power is nearly the same.
A long block doesn't produce 1hp, let alone 400+.

Like I'm going to list them 1 by 1? There's a PLETHORA of engines out there making more power, more torque, both... What's more capable? SERIOUSLY? Idonno what you want me to tell ya... 4.6L powered into the 6.2's... Which LS is doing that? 351W block powered, also deep into the 6's, mid 6's 10yrs ago... Big blocks GALORE... Aftermarket builds all over the country if not the world. LAST I CHECKED, the LS didn't hold world drag racing records. Maybe you've got some sort of new inside news of someone running 3's with an LS based engine???

To give you a clue on the depths of this nonsense... Which Top Fuel car is setting records with an LS engine?

When the LS engine came out the aftermarket was not as big as it is now...thats a stupid argument to make considering that the ford aftermarket is twice the amount of GM, just look at any ford magazine.
Is it MY fault the aftermarket wasn't as big? Is it MY fault you don't like reason? If Ford has twice the aftermarket, APPARENTLY Ford is doing something right...

Am I to believe the GM aftermarket has shrunk in recent minutes? I mean, Ford may have a bigger aftermarket for their stuff, but that hardly means GM's choices are exceedingly limited.

The aftermarket for the 4.6L was tiny for quite some time, considering true engine mods. The top guru's responded by using FACTORY components to run 6's. The engine seemed anemic, but somehow, 2 guys got them into the 7's in 2001 or earlier.

I find it almost hilarious that you say it's a stupid argument, based entirely in the facts... They're STILL the facts.

Your portrayal is RICER MATH! "But Ford has a bigger aftermarket!" Please... You're acting AS IF there's some invalid reason that other power plants also perform in an excellent fashion.

I have been on this forum to see the evolution and mods of the LS engine.
Yeah... I've only been on here about 3yrs longer than you... I prolly haven't seen what you have here...

Big deal... Tim Lynch was running 7's YEARS ago...

Dan Millen's SIX second Mustang was driven to friggin' BURGER KING during the WINTER! That was 2006... You wanna talk about IMPRESSIVE? Those cars were impressive. So what? Really... SO WHAT? Does that somehow prove GM power is worse?

As for "Marks car," which block does he have in it? An LS1? Obviously not. I'm sure it's OUTSTANDING, but if you think that thing is or was cheap, maybe you should ask him... There are CUBIC DOLLARS in that kind of build, and few factory production GM engine parts are involved. That's not knockin' it in the least. It's not your everyday car. Still, to toss it up there for what it's GOING to do is usless and has nothing to do with this topic.

The 5L has been available to the GP, in a car, since like late May of 2010... Since then, look what's been accomplished. That's the importance of this information... Less than 1yr and it's BLASTING down the track. Plus, it handles well and costs thousands less than most cars in it's performance range.

It's NOT about what you could or might to with something else... It's about what DID happen with the new 5L in less than 12 months on the market. You don't have to love it, but that won't actually take away from the reality, it's a FANTASTIC engine from the design to the application. I expect the 6.2L to find its way into the Mustang as well... We'll hear about it all over again... 500hp from a tune, 600 with bolt ons.. whatever.

I think we're done here...
Old 03-15-2011, 11:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

You call the 5L a "dressed longblock" so tell us what's missing? My "price quote" included the engine, harness/pcm kit and alternator... What else are we looking for here? Seriously, if there's more it's not telling us, share it.

Like I'm going to list them 1 by 1? There's a PLETHORA of engines out there making more power, more torque, both... What's more capable? SERIOUSLY? Idonno what you want me to tell ya... 4.6L powered into the 6.2's... Which LS is doing that? 351W block powered, also deep into the 6's, mid 6's 10yrs ago... Big blocks GALORE... Aftermarket builds all over the country if not the world. LAST I CHECKED, the LS didn't hold world drag racing records. Maybe you've got some sort of new inside news of someone running 3's with an LS based engine???

To give you a clue on the depths of this nonsense... Which Top Fuel car is setting records with an LS engine?

Is it MY fault the aftermarket wasn't as big? Is it MY fault you don't like reason? If Ford has twice the aftermarket, APPARENTLY Ford is doing something right...

Am I to believe the GM aftermarket has shrunk in recent minutes? I mean, Ford may have a bigger aftermarket for their stuff, but that hardly means GM's choices are exceedingly limited.

The aftermarket for the 4.6L was tiny for quite some time, considering true engine mods. The top guru's responded by using FACTORY components to run 6's. The engine seemed anemic, but somehow, 2 guys got them into the 7's in 2001 or earlier.

I find it almost hilarious that you say it's a stupid argument, based entirely in the facts... They're STILL the facts.

Your portrayal is RICER MATH! "But Ford has a bigger aftermarket!" Please... You're acting AS IF there's some invalid reason that other power plants also perform in an excellent fashion.

Yeah... I've only been on here about 3yrs longer than you... I prolly haven't seen what you have here...

Dan Millen's SIX second Mustang was driven to friggin' BURGER KING during the WINTER! That was 2006... You wanna talk about IMPRESSIVE? Those cars were impressive. So what? Really... SO WHAT? Does that somehow prove GM power is worse?

As for "Marks car," which block does he have in it? An LS1? Obviously not. I'm sure it's OUTSTANDING, but if you think that thing is or was cheap, maybe you should ask him... There are CUBIC DOLLARS in that kind of build, and few factory production GM engine parts are involved. That's not knockin' it in the least. It's not your everyday car. Still, to toss it up there for what it's GOING to do is usless and has nothing to do with this topic.

The 5L has been available to the GP, in a car, since like late May of 2010... Since then, look what's been accomplished. That's the importance of this information... Less than 1yr and it's BLASTING down the track. Plus, it handles well and costs thousands less than most cars in it's performance range.

It's NOT about what you could or might to with something else... It's about what DID happen with the new 5L in less than 12 months on the market. You don't have to love it, but that won't actually take away from the reality, it's a FANTASTIC engine from the design to the application. I expect the 6.2L to find its way into the Mustang as well... We'll hear about it all over again... 500hp from a tune, 600 with bolt ons.. whatever.

Seriously all Ford did was copy GM's formula and added more cubic inches to there dohc engine Ford fanboys finally know why we would say "there is no substitue for cubic inches"...its not like they are reinveting the wheel or crushing all lsx motors, you just seem to have an elitist attitude.

But what would I know I drive a $7000, 11 second 4th gen camaro.

And if we are going to go by drag racing records , then maybe you should consider getting a hemi, the lsx technology is proven various classes of drag racing, it just has not replaced the BBC. The c6r in le mans is an lsx motor, the ro8 is johnsons nextel champ car has technology from the lsx motor.

Last edited by GMmexican; 03-16-2011 at 12:01 AM.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Seriously all Ford did was copy GM's formula and added more cubic inches to there dohc engine Ford fanboys finally know why we would say "there is no substitue for cubic inches"...its not like they are reinveting the wheel or crushing all lsx motors, you just seem to have an elitist attitude.

And if we are going to go by drag racing records , then maybe you should consider getting a hemi, the lsx technology is proven various classes of drag racing, it just has not replaced the BBC. The c6r in le mans is an lsx motor, the ro8 is johnsons nextel champ car has technology from the lsx motor.

wrong. they all have technology from yates combustion chambers and ports. everything "wedge" is inspiried by yates.- which is not any brand at all.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Put done the mustangs mags and get back into reality. Both are great motors but the way you type I can see you throwing a tantrum over your keyboard.

Quit bringing up the 6 and 7 sec cars, they have nothing to do with the 5.0.

If by Mark you mean the Blue Cobra that runs 8s,
Quit sucking the tip of whos in now.

I bet I know who your favorite football team is.

2010 Green Bay
2009 Saints
2008 Steelers
2007 Giants
2006 Colts

etc.....
Old 03-16-2011, 02:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LT/LS Guy
Of course a 346 is going to make gobs more torque at the same power-level. That's a given.
Your right. Hopefully Mr. Guerra doesn't mind me sharing this. Stock LS1 w/ H/C/I.
Attached Thumbnails H/C/I 5.0 makes 507rwhp-pg6-14-07dyno2.jpg  
Old 03-16-2011, 05:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Relax... He made his initial point and honestly, it stands... Comparing old stuff to newer stuff doesn't often show benefit to the old... When it matches new, it desserves credist. Match up a like size DOHC to an OHV and you'll almost always see the DOHC come out on top.
On top of the scale, size and cost chart...

Simply type "4.6L in Miata" into your browser and you can see videos.
Damn that thing is huge... Must have done some serious hacking/cutting/welding to make it work...

Not everyone limits their idea of a "real track" to one with turns. Idonno 'bout you, but I've found it quite difficult enough to go STRAIGHT on the track for a long time now. In other words, drag racing is as real as it gets... Basically every race ends with a DRAG RACE!
lol, ok paul walker... The only race that ends in a drag race is one that is just strait.
Believe it or not production cars are tested around race tracks, and built to turn. While I like going fast strait too, its much more impressive seeing a car that is fast, and can brake and turn...

My concern is more of a long term outlook. I suspect our wonderful gov't. will find a way to remove the OHV V8 in yrs to come, but will take much longer to remove OHC designs.
With the kind of gas mileage these ohv V8s are getting compared to the DOHC V8s, I don't think we have much to worry about.

Besides, why should we think, "This is too much" and quit?
Never said that. But the limits are being reached for a front engine, RWD sports car with power. You could always go midengined, or AWD but that more complexity, and money and a whole different topic. Like I said, make a lighter car and you wont need more power.

Would it fit??? It fit into the XLR.
Are you saying there is a 800hp N/A Northstar that runs on pump gas and passes emissions?
Less weight, in a mid-engine setup? Not too difficult, sans a supercharger. How light is the LS9? There's the target.
Havent seen any official figures for it yet.

So now 400hp is "measly" around here...
For a GM guy, yes, but I guess not for a Ford guy
But seriously in the way you put it with "needing a supercharger to compete", the Corvette has one a makes 640hp, while the Cobra had one and made 400hp.

Try sounding it out a little better. You're debate has been about the LS all the while, and how it's just better than... The thread began about how the 5L is coming along and the only mention of the LS I recall at the time was to add DI.
You didn't read my first post did you?

Oh... The PROBLEM is people like Fords too... Now I get it. C'mon... As if the LS hasn't been treated as such for over a decade, once people actually figured out how to build power with them... They're rubbing it in everyones face? That's hardly the case overall. People are RIGHTLY impressed with the 5L.
No the problem is people comming in saying "Ford made 500whp from a 5L vs GM's 6L" - thats ricer math.

Trying to "counter" is the real problem here... There's no need, EVEN on LS1tech.com... It is what it is. In coming months and years it will be more than it is today. Such is life. As for "excuses"... I still haven't seen an LS based pony car running anywhere near as quick or fast as even the 4.6L. The LS series, in upgraded form, is duly impressive and it's been said about a millions times here, as expected. That's NOT a valid reason to bash everything else.
Again with the assumptions and the drag racing. How do you know that the claimed 4.6L was really a 4.6L? And how do you justify arguing about engines when you are comparing how fast modified cars are? What if that chassis had some advantage over the others?
Old 03-16-2011, 05:42 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by JD_AMG

With the kind of gas mileage these ohv V8s are getting compared to the DOHC V8s, I don't think we have much to worry about.

Ok, I see people say this all the time... it's not just about gas mileage. It is about tailpipe EMISSIONS. If an engine is less efficient (OHV), it is probably going to be spitting more crap out of the tailpipe. And the new Mustang GT and Camaro SS get very similar gas mileage, btw. I think the Mustang is actually rated higher. I've been saying this, and it seems that Ford is figuring out how to do it pretty well; concentrate on making DOHC setups smaller/lighter, because that's really the only thing that is missing.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you think the LS is some huge step in engineering go compare it to a good ol' 351w

Quick Reply: H/C/I 5.0 makes 507rwhp