Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Motor Trend - 2012 Ford Mustang BOSS 302 (fastest stock Mustang ever made)

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 12:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like the mag is taking an edge against European cars here... They did list the GT500 for comparison, but left off the 2010 SS while adding the ultra-expensive R8... not to mention the extremely pricey M3(which is still one of my favorite cars in regular trim). They tested the SS, and it was nearly as good as the old GT500. I'd like 'em to break out the 2011 GT500. I'm betting that would handily beat the new BOSS.

The price tag of this Boss is too far up the chain for me. Perhaps that's why the left off the SS. Even so, this one ROCKS! No, I still won't run out and order one, but it's a great performer. I was STUNNED with the 1/4 mile ET!

"Ringer tires" is a new term for me, but this car comes with ringers, for sure... SERIOUS race tires impo.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Stock SS 5th gen is 1:45.70. Almost six seconds and that's a big difference but I wonder how the new ZL1 will do compared to the Boss302.

The boss did beat the c6z06(1:40.90) by less than a second!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-08-2011, 01:06 AM
TECH Resident

I would take you up on that bet! Look at the list posted, it beat the Z06 by a little over a half second. Beat out the GTR, was only .01 slower than a V10 R8, beat the 2010 SS by over 5 seconds. The Laguna Seca one went 1:40.00, not a huge gain over the 1:40.21 this ran. This car is no joke! +100 to Ford for kicking serious *** these last few years!

ZL1 wouldn't stand a chance; that's meant to be a go fast car, not a cornering car. Drag race it would be close, but not on the track with all that extra weight.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by gocartone
I would take you up on that bet! Look at the list posted, it beat the Z06 by a little over a half second. Beat out the GTR, was only .01 slower than a V10 R8, beat the 2010 SS by over 5 seconds. The Laguna Seca one went 1:40.00, not a huge gain over the 1:40.21 this ran. This car is no joke! +100 to Ford for kicking serious *** these last few years!

ZL1 wouldn't stand a chance; that's meant to be a go fast car, not a cornering car. Drag race it would be close, but not on the track with all that extra weight.
Not sure if it will be as fast at the track as the Boss due to weight....but the ZL-1 was designed EXTENSIVELY for fast lap times. It has magnetic ride, end links placed in an entirely different position in relation to traditional design, different springs and sways bars etc etc etc...GM did a lot of work on the ZL-1 in the handling department. This was actually their main focus for the car.

Drag race would be close? The slp ZL585 ran an 11.5 @ 122mph in a recent motorweek test on street tires. ZL-1 should compare to this very closely. The ZL-1 will blow the doors off of the Boss at the strip stock for stock.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:31 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just googled and read the 2008 ls3 vette test from motertrend. The vette was down 8 horsepower but had 58 more ft lbs of torque. The sleeker Vette also is 340 lbs lighter and has a better weight distribution. Yet somehow they are equal in trap speed with the stang winning the 1/4 et by .2. Not acounting for the difference in the density altitude I can say the smaller motor must have an edge in acceleration due to its smaller size.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:31 AM
11 Second Club

what the **** is with that link to "fastestlaps.com" and laguna seca it says an audi a4 1.8t has the record...?

edit, google search shows it was some time attack built car. why the **** is that piece of **** on a list filled with stock cars? ******* gay.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:45 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by UltraZLS1
Not sure if it will be as fast at the track as the Boss due to weight....but the ZL-1 was designed EXTENSIVELY for fast lap times. It has magnetic ride, end links placed in an entirely different position in relation to traditional design, different springs and sways bars etc etc etc...GM did a lot of work on the ZL-1 in the handling department. This was actually their main focus for the car.

Drag race would be close? The slp ZL585 ran an 11.5 @ 122mph in a recent motorweek test on street tires. The ZL-1 will blow the doors off of the Boss at the strip stock for stock.
Wishful thinking? I would NEVER expect the Chevy produced ZL1 to run 11.5's... It's just completely unlikely. Of course, I seriously don't think it will run with the ZO6 on track either. The weight penalty alone will be the problem with the ZL1.

Will it get the 585hp rating the SLP has? Well, they say no, but perhaps it will. The real questions are some time away from being answered, but considering the aim here, it just seems unreasonable to expect the GM production model to outperform the aftermarket for several reasons, not the least of which is pricing.

I'd be pretty ticked if the ZL1 doesn't outrun the BOSS in a straight line, but anything quicker than 12.000 will be an unexpected joy. To me, 11.5's are basically out of the question as GM delivers it. 11.8's would be impressive.

Those "Street tires" weren't off the shelf no namers, btw. They are Michelin Pilot Sport 2's as I recall, which may not be as good as the ZL1's expected F2's, but they were very good.
Originally Posted by ramairroughneck
I just googled and read the 2008 ls3 vette test from motertrend. The vette was down 8 horsepower but had 58 more ft lbs of torque. The sleeker Vette also is 340 lbs lighter and has a better weight distribution. Yet somehow they are equal in trap speed with the stang winning the 1/4 et by .2. Not acounting for the difference in the density altitude I can say the smaller motor must have an edge in acceleration due to its smaller size.
Smaller size? Idontthinkso... Maybe because it revs nearly to the moon and possibly needs fewer gear changes to cover the 1/4. I'm sure the BOSS also has pretty good rubber all around. Then there's differences based on where and when, drivers, etc. I'm sure the Corvette will do just fine in daily usage.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:04 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just thinking smaller engines rev faster but you do have a good point with the high rev limit allowing the tester to hold off shifting.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by UltraZLS1
Exactly, the ZL1 is built for the road course, without being a stripped down race car. The weight will be it's downfall. Still leaves plenty of room for the Z28's return to surpass the ZL1's track times and the Boss' as well
Old 03-08-2011, 07:03 AM
10 Second Club

Received 424 Likes on 336 Posts

If you beleive the Boss actually beat those those cars your a moron. It has less hp, torque and wieghts signifcantly more than the zo6.....I guess good marketing can over come physics. I like the car but so far the new 5.0 has struggled to out run ls1's from a roll. I know road coarses are different (I worked on the PTG BMW's for many years) but not that different.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:32 AM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

Beautiful job Ford! I find it so funny that years ago, everyone bitched that Ford needed F/I to keep the heavy 03 Cobra ahead of LS1's.

Now, GM has a heav-ier Camaro with F/I (Z28) to keep up with the new N/A smaller displacement 5.0's.

Gotta sit back and enjoy the show- That shets funny

(In reality, the ZL1 should have no problem trapping 118-120 stock) Still funny though-
Old 03-08-2011, 12:42 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
If you beleive the Boss actually beat those those cars your a moron. It has less hp, torque and wieghts signifcantly more than the zo6.....I guess good marketing can over come physics. I like the car but so far the new 5.0 has struggled to out run ls1's from a roll. I know road coarses are different (I worked on the PTG BMW's for many years) but not that different.
What's so hard to believe about it? It didn't beat the Z06 with the track pack or whatever GM offers for it, just the base Z06 (guessing crappy runflats, not the greatest brakes, etc). Either way it's damn good, and it isn't having a problem taking stock LS1's from a roll. And are you saying road courses aren't much different than roll racing??

The same could be said about the GTR that has been beating everything, all marketing I guess though right? It weighs more yet and has less power than a Z06, yet it is right there or beating it on the tracks. A lot more goes into going fast around a track than being light and having power.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by JayplaySS2
Now, GM has a heav-ier Camaro with F/I (Z28) to keep up with the new N/A smaller displacement 5.0's.
To be fair, the ZL1 is GM's answer to the supercharged GT500. It was concieved before Ford revealed the new 5.0 and the new BOSS Mustang.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That gold is HIDEOUS. As always though, the BOSS is definitely impressive.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:16 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 61 Likes on 36 Posts

The new Mustangs are better looking inside and outside and drive better than the new Camaros.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 424 Likes on 336 Posts

What's so hard to believe about it? It didn't beat the Z06 with the track pack or whatever GM offers for it, just the base Z06 (guessing crappy runflats, not the greatest brakes, etc). Either way it's damn good, and it isn't having a problem taking stock LS1's from a roll. And are you saying road courses aren't much different than roll racing??

The same could be said about the GTR that has been beating everything, all marketing I guess though right? It weighs more yet and has less power than a Z06, yet it is right there or beating it on the tracks. A lot more goes into going fast around a track than being light and having power.
It beat the GTR too. Do you beleive that?
Old 03-08-2011, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Fantastic car, Ford is really making headlines in the automotive performance world lately.

Hopefully GM picks one of these bad boys up and test it to make sure the Z28 is better.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by TriShield
To be fair, the ZL1 is GM's answer to the supercharged GT500. It was concieved before Ford revealed the new 5.0 and the new BOSS Mustang.
exactly. a zl1 will **** all over a BOSS. cmon what that BS! LOL

just messin.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:16 PM
On The Tree

Honestly for the money I'd rather buy a slightly used vette.

But for a new car if I were to buy one I'd honestly get a new mustang.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
It looks quite apparent that you're saying the magazine is blatently lying... Do you suppose they marketed the new GTR as well, considering it used less hp and more weight while edgeing out the ZO6 and easily beating the GT500 in heads up lap testing??

There are many reasons this test could've gone as they claim it did... Pro driver, for starters.

Quick Reply: Motor Trend - 2012 Ford Mustang BOSS 302 (fastest stock Mustang ever made)