Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Motor Trend - 2012 Ford Mustang BOSS 302 (fastest stock Mustang ever made)

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 08:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
It beat the GTR too. Do you beleive that?
I already said it did, so yes. They have no reason to lie about the car, it's not like Ford is the one claiming the numbers.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:38 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by CranMaro99
Faster than an R8. Kinda said. (But great for the Mustang!)
I think that's the V8 R8.

Interestingly enough, it's only a one hundredth of a second behind the road&track testing of the R8 in V10 version.

Bare in mind, this car is faster than the C6Z, SLS AMG, CTS-V, and almost as quick as the updated 911 turbo S (which ran a 1:40.11).

Ford built it to be a track beast at a bargain, and they sure as hell succeeded from the looks of it.

It would be cool if more manufacturers made track oriented versions of cars.

Last edited by DiscerningZ32; 03-08-2011 at 09:56 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DiscerningZ32
I think that's the V8 R8.

Interestingly enough, it's only a one hundredth of a second behind the road&track testing of the R8 in V10 version.

Bare in mind, this car is faster than the C6Z, SLS AMG, CTS-V, and almost as quick as the updated 911 turbo S (which ran a 1:40.11).

Ford built it to be a track beast at a bargain, and they sure as hell succeeded from the looks of it.

It would be cool if more manufacturers made track oriented versions of cars.
the Europeans have been making track verisons of cars forever....think every 911 GT2, GT3, GT3RS, BMW has had track editions of the M3, Ferrari had the F355 and Modena Challenge cars, not to mention stuff like the ACR Viper, Cobra R and club sport packages that could be had on the Solstice GXP and Miata, that were designed for certain SCCA classes. I know its a bit of a stretch, but some could argue that even the previous 1LE cars were somewhat track oriented cars.

If we're using more power, better brakes and handling, and some aero advancements, then everything to wear an SS , V or GXP badge from GM was track oriented.

I'm certainly not trying to pick on you or single anyone out, but many people think they want a track car that they can drive every day, until they actually drive one everyday. The hate the road noise, stiff seats, sometimes lack of stereo, crappy "real road" manners, and wearing out stupid expensive special suspension parts and $300 a piece tires.

I applaud Ford for actually being able to build something like this without screwing it up, but it will never earn a spot in my garage. If anyone were to take an Audi R8 out on the town for a night, I assure you no attractive woman would say, "I'd rather ride in that bright colored, sticker-laden Mustang because its .005 seconds faster around some track in California"
Old 03-09-2011, 08:50 AM
On The Tree

I have wanted this car since it was introduced.

The price is right for around 40k, but I bet dealer mark up will be a bi*ch...and from what I am hearing from my friend at a local ford dealership....you better get in line.

I am hoping in a couple of years I can get into a used one for high 20's.

Also, I feel a lot of hate brewing from the M3 crowd over this car
Old 03-09-2011, 09:12 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by turbowhistle86
the Europeans have been making track verisons of cars forever....think every 911 GT2, GT3, GT3RS, BMW has had track editions of the M3, Ferrari had the F355 and Modena Challenge cars, not to mention stuff like the ACR Viper, Cobra R and club sport packages that could be had on the Solstice GXP and Miata, that were designed for certain SCCA classes. I know its a bit of a stretch, but some could argue that even the previous 1LE cars were somewhat track oriented cars.

If we're using more power, better brakes and handling, and some aero advancements, then everything to wear an SS , V or GXP badge from GM was track oriented.

I'm certainly not trying to pick on you or single anyone out, but many people think they want a track car that they can drive every day, until they actually drive one everyday. The hate the road noise, stiff seats, sometimes lack of stereo, crappy "real road" manners, and wearing out stupid expensive special suspension parts and $300 a piece tires.

I applaud Ford for actually being able to build something like this without screwing it up, but it will never earn a spot in my garage. If anyone were to take an Audi R8 out on the town for a night, I assure you no attractive woman would say, "I'd rather ride in that bright colored, sticker-laden Mustang because its .005 seconds faster around some track in California"
I hear what you're saying and I know many manufacturers make track oriented cars, I'd still like to see more though.

What I was really getting at was, I'd like to see manufacturers squeeze just about everything they can out of a car on the track while still being street legal. Examples would be the ACR, GT2 RS and GT3 RS, LP-560 Superleggera, R8 GT, and the AMG Black Series cars. So I guess most manufacturers do have cars that go nearly all out while still being street legal. I guess I'm saying I would like to see more, particularly more in the mustang's category.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if an Audi TT could beat this mustang. Yeah, I went there. Only, they don't sell the trim I'm talking about in the US.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by bah321
I am hoping in a couple of years I can get into a used one for high 20's.
Given what it is and how limited production it is going to be I think the only ones you'll find for 20s will be beat.

A friend of mine got one for MSRP and it should be here by the end of this summer.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:43 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TriShield
Given what it is and how limited production it is going to be I think the only ones you'll find for 20s will be beat.

A friend of mine got one for MSRP and it should be here by the end of this summer.
Well....yeah I know it's a long shot given the limited production....I guess we will just have to see how the market plays out and if they increase production numbers at all.

I AM going to get a version of the 5.0 as a gift to myself after grad school...hopefully it will be a boss.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by It'llrun
It looks quite apparent that you're saying the magazine is blatently lying... Do you suppose they marketed the new GTR as well, considering it used less hp and more weight while edgeing out the ZO6 and easily beating the GT500 in heads up lap testing??

There are many reasons this test could've gone as they claim it did... Pro driver, for starters.
The GTR has less hp than what now? Might want to check your specs.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:25 PM
TECH Veteran

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxEhnugwzCc
Old 03-09-2011, 02:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by gocartone
I already said it did, so yes. They have no reason to lie about the car, it's not like Ford is the one claiming the numbers.
People need to stop comparing the numbers taken from different drivers on different days. Weather conditions and track conditions car vary the times greatly, so comparing a time run last month to one rund that was run day, months or even years ago does absolutely no good, toher than creating bickering back and forth.

It's a mustang with different shocks, springs and sway bars. Do you REALLY think it will take out a Z06 or GTR on the track? It makes less power than both, runs less tire than both, and is mid pack with the weight.
I know I am over simplifying it, as the motor and cooling systems are different as well, but I hope you can get the point here guys.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 433 Likes on 340 Posts

Well Nano.....your forgetting that these 5.0's does miraculous things that defies the laws of physics.....of course it will out run a car with 60 more hp and 300# less
Old 03-09-2011, 06:11 PM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by nanokpsi
People need to stop comparing the numbers taken from different drivers on different days. Weather conditions and track conditions car vary the times greatly, so comparing a time run last month to one rund that was run day, months or even years ago does absolutely no good, toher than creating bickering back and forth.
You're absolutely right.
But do keep in mind that that logic can also play in the Mustang's favor as well.
If it ran it's numbers in worse conditions than the other cars than the gaps between these posted lap times might be even greater.
Same goes for Nissan or BMW lap times at the Nurburgring, there too we simply cannot compare different cars with different drivers running on different days/varying conditions.
But that still doesn't mean that one's favorite choice of vehicle didn't actually have the lesser favorable conditions making it's accomplishments even greater yet.
That argument/discussion can work both ways too, we just don't know for sure when there are so many other variables/factors contributing to these car's lap times.

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Well Nano.....your forgetting that these 5.0's does miraculous things that defies the laws of physics.....of course it will out run a car with 60 more hp and 300# less
Well hold on now, everyone seemed to just blindly accept that a 4100 pound (with driver) Nissan with only 485hp was able to essentially conquer the world around a racetrack so now what makes this so difficult to swallow?
I do see what you're saying but this is not the first car out there to sort of reinvent the wheel so to speak.
If you question one then you have to question them all.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TriShield
To be fair, the ZL1 is GM's answer to the supercharged GT500. It was concieved before Ford revealed the new 5.0 and the new BOSS Mustang.
Gt500 is a tourqe monster has no traction from the factory only reason hold it back from killing a new 5.0

I still go with a used 07 gt500 then a new 5.0 but thats just me
Old 03-09-2011, 08:43 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Theblacknightls1
Gt500 is a tourqe monster has no traction from the factory only reason hold it back from killing a new 5.0
I agree. The car has solid mid 11 second capabilities in stock trim but it's limited traction has it struggling to even get into the high 11s.
A great driver on a well prepped track in good air would have a new GT500 running some crazy strong 1/4 mile times I bet.

Originally Posted by Theblacknightls1
I still go with a used 07 gt500 then a new 5.0 but thats just me
That would probably be a tough one for me, especially if the 2007 GT500 was still more money to buy than the brand new GT 5.0 (I'm betting the pricing would be close).
I'm still a fan of NA power and the lighter weight 5.0 gets it done but the GT500 is just so fast even bone stock that it's probably still the smarter choice.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:04 PM
TECH Resident

I doubt a 2007 would cost more now, the newer ones have an aluminum block and go for like $48k new. I can't believe they put such small tires on the back of those, I think that's whats really holding them back. 285s aren't very wide on a 550hp torque monster like that.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:48 PM
TECH Junkie

fords been getting it done with these 2011+ mustangs
Old 03-09-2011, 11:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by turbowhistle86

Well said. This is exactly why cars like the R8, Z06, GT500 and soon to come ZL1 win in my book. Tear up the track, still have excellent street manners, and keep all those uber amenities like air conditioning and a radio
Old 03-09-2011, 11:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

$13k more for 32 more hp, less torque and some suspension upgrades? MMMMM no thanks. I would stick with a GT.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...t_numbers.html

Its not much faster than the GT motortrend tested, nor does it appear to be any lighter, or have much better lat gs. When bolt on GTs on stock wheels are hitting 11s, ford isnt doing something right with this version IMO.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:16 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by gocartone
The Boss beat the 09 GT-R. I don't think it would stand a chance against the 2012 GT-R though. Also on a regular day on other tracks the Boss wouldn't beat the 09 GT-R but we would have to see that.

Last edited by TheHitman; 03-10-2011 at 02:03 AM.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:04 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TheHitman
The Boss beat the 09 GT-R. I don't think it would stand a chance against the 2012 GT-R though.
You're probably correct. The 2012 Nissan GT-R would probably beat the base Boss by about as much as that Boss beat the current GT-R.
But then there's always that Laguna Seca package.

Quick Reply: Motor Trend - 2012 Ford Mustang BOSS 302 (fastest stock Mustang ever made)