Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

2012 Chevy Malibu teased ahead of Debut

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 10:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2012 Chevy Malibu teased ahead of Debut

The 2012 Chevrolet Malibu will officially be revealed at the Shanghai Motor Show on April 19, and General Motors has released this official teaser shot of its new 'Bu, showing off its new Camaro-inspired LED taillamps. GM will also be bringing the Malibu to the New York Auto Show, which officially starts on April 20, where we'll get our first glimpse of the new Chevrolet family sedan in the flesh.

We've seen quite a few spy shots of the new Malibu, and we know that it will ride on GM's smaller Epsilon II platform that currently underpins the Buick Regal. Still, GM tells us that the new Malibu will be wider than the model it replaces, and we can expect a more rakish exterior design. The Malibu will be sold in nearly 100 countries on six different continents, and thus, a global design that would appeal to all markets is necessary in order for it to be a success.

Expect the Malibu to only be available with four-cylinder engines, including GM's naturally aspirated 2.4-liter Ecotec four and its turbocharged 2.0-liter powerplant. Rumor has it that a hybrid version is also in the works, as is an all-wheel-drive model.

You can watch the official Chevrolet Malibu reveal on the automaker's Facebook page on Monday, April 18 at 8:30 PM EST – right when the sheets are pulled back in Shanghai. For the full details, hit the jump for GM's official press release, as well as a short video detailing some of the Malibu's overall design elements.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=oTq7H9c3Y1M
Old 03-31-2011, 01:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks awesome, hopefully they make the rear end much more appealing this time around. I hate the rear of the current car.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

The rear should look good, judging from the video its obvious they took some styling ideas from the Camaro.

At this point in time im certain GM has forgotten about the Impala seeming its been with the same design for many years now it seems. Though it still looks good it is past due for a new design.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:29 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by jmurray87
Expect the Malibu to only be available with four-cylinder engines, including GM's naturally aspirated 2.4-liter Ecotec four and its turbocharged 2.0-liter powerplant. Rumor has it that a hybrid version is also in the works, as is an all-wheel-drive model.
Translation; "Expect the Malibu to only be mildly competitive in the market."
Old 03-31-2011, 04:57 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What does this have to do with 4cyl? For what do you need V8 power in a fwd car?

If you're saying they should do a rwd V6/V8 Malibu, than more power to you
Old 03-31-2011, 04:58 PM
Launching!

Well it looks like a bmw 335, although it is prob gonna be front wheel drive. If Chevy made it rear wheel drive with the little ecotech turbo it would be a cool little car, even with front wheel drive the car has a lot of potential. I used to have a 65 Malibu ss i miss that car.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:02 PM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Translation; "Expect the Malibu to only be mildly competitive in the V6 market."
Fixed.

Not ALL of it's competitors come standard with a V6, in fact very few of them do.
While it might lose some sales to the competing V6 models, within the 4 cylinder small-mid size family car market this new Malibu could actually be very competitive, just as the current car (in both 4 and 6 cylinder) is.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:11 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by Wolfsblut
What does this have to do with 4cyl? For what do you need V8 power in a fwd car?

If you're saying they should do a rwd V6/V8 Malibu, than more power to you
Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Fixed.

Not ALL of it's competitors come standard with a V6, in fact very few of them do.
While it might lose some sales to the competing V6 models, within the 4 cylinder small-mid size family car market this new Malibu could actually be very competitive, just as the current car (in both 4 and 6 cylinder) is.
I'm very obviously talking about the entire family sedan segment. Accord, Camry, Altima, Fusion; all available with V6s. And the Malibu was already trailing all 4 of them in sales. So I do believe that offering only 4cyl engines will do nothing to improve sales, as long as the other offerings (that are already selling WAY better) offer V6s, and might even hurt sales. I'd say 1/3 of the family sedans that I see on the road are V6s, maybe more.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm very obviously talking about the entire family sedan segment. Accord, Camry, Altima, Fusion; all available with V6s. And the Malibu was already trailing all 4 of them in sales. So I do believe that offering only 4cyl engines will do nothing to improve sales, as long as the other offerings (that are already selling WAY better) offer V6s, and might even hurt sales. I'd say 1/3 of the family sedans that I see on the road are V6s, maybe more.
Your such a chevy hater, yet you post all over ls1 tech.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:06 PM
10 Second Club

Question

I do actually look at the badges and exhaust tips of even mundane 'kitchen appliance' type cars when I'm out and about LOL and around here, I see predominantly 4 cylinder versions of Camry/Accord/Altima/Fusion/Malibu. But that doesn't mean that not offering a V6 won't still hurt Malibu sales, it very well could. Unless of course they undercut the others in price by a large margin in the process as well (say, like Hyundai has done).
And is the Malibu, even after winning all of those awards and magazine praises, really trailing behind the others by that much in sales?
Or is that just your personal (negative) perception of the car?

Originally Posted by BODUKE
Maybe not Chevrolet or GM overall, but I certainly wouldn't argue with your statement when it comes to his feelings about the Malibu, a car that so many others seem to truly like.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hyundai Sonata is a 4cyl only car and selling very well.
http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2010/03...mry-honda.html
there is a turbo-4 and I believe a hybrid version is in the works.
I have rented it several times on long trips and I liked the car very much, it had much more interior room and trunk space than the Malibu, which I have also had as a rental.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So do you disagree that offering a V6 powered Malibu would help its sales?
Old 03-31-2011, 09:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i think a V6 should be offered.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm agreeing with Irunelevens on this one. Not even having a V6 option could hurt sales, as most (if not all) of the Malibu's competition has a V6 option. If I were shopping a car for my girlfriend, I'd be looking for something with V6 power. They get good enough mileage for our needs.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:23 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 2012 Malibu does not need a V6 option. Look at the success of the Sonata.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:29 AM
On The Tree

if they put in the LNF motor, it will be able to make similar power and better gas mileage than the v6 competition imo.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Having driven several current Malibus with the 4-cylinder I'll be the first one to say it is horrible. I'll honestly say the fuel economy of the 4 has to be substantially less then the V6 in real world driving. The 4 spends more time shifting and lugging than actually doing its job.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

a S/C or T/C might help with the pep that it will need
Old 04-01-2011, 04:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by texas94z
The 2012 Malibu does not need a V6 option. Look at the success of the Sonata.
The next Malibu is going to be a restyled Regal which is a rebadged Opel Insignia, if you've driven one you'd want a V6 in it.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:47 PM
***Repost Police***

Yeah, I'm such a "chevy hater." I joined this website to look for an F-body or GTO, and there's a damn good chance my next car will be a Corvette of some sort, but I'm a "chevy hater" because I have a realistic view. Good job.
Originally Posted by LS1LT1
I do actually look at the badges and exhaust tips of even mundane 'kitchen appliance' type cars when I'm out and about LOL and around here, I see predominantly 4 cylinder versions of Camry/Accord/Altima/Fusion/Malibu. But that doesn't mean that not offering a V6 won't still hurt Malibu sales, it very well could. Unless of course they undercut the others in price by a large margin in the process as well (say, like Hyundai has done).
And is the Malibu, even after winning all of those awards and magazine praises, really trailing behind the others by that much in sales?
Or is that just your personal (negative) perception of the car?

It's not that I don't like the Malibu, I just don't think it's quite up to snuff (current generation) with the class leaders yet. Very close, but still not quite there yet. And btw, looking up sales figures isn't hard to do at all.
http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/t...-for-2010.html
For 2010;
Camry -- 313,212 units
Accord -- 282,530 units
Civic -- 252,882 units (different class, but just for comparison's sake)
Corolla -- 247,032 units (again, for comparison)
Altima -- 222,553 units
Fusion -- 198,403 units
Malibu -- 198,365 units
For the record, that puts the Malibu 114,847 cars behind the Camry, and 84,615 cars behind the Accord. That's a pretty big chunk. And again, I'm not the only person of the opinion that the Malibu isn't up to snuff. In this comparison, it ranks 6th place out of 7 cars.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...et_malibu.html
The Accord took 4th place, and *surprise* the Camry won. It's not just a media conspiracy. In the following comparison, it ended up 5th place out of 5 cars. The Fusion actually won this won.
http://blogs.edmunds.com/strategies/...vs-sonata.html
And again here, *surprise* it got 7th out of 8 cars.
http://www.cars.com/go/crp/buyingGui...w&aff=national

Originally Posted by Z Fury
I'm agreeing with Irunelevens on this one. Not even having a V6 option could hurt sales, as most (if not all) of the Malibu's competition has a V6 option. If I were shopping a car for my girlfriend, I'd be looking for something with V6 power. They get good enough mileage for our needs.
Chevy hater!
Originally Posted by BanditTA
Having driven several current Malibus with the 4-cylinder I'll be the first one to say it is horrible. I'll honestly say the fuel economy of the 4 has to be substantially less then the V6 in real world driving. The 4 spends more time shifting and lugging than actually doing its job.
You must be a Chevy hater too!!

Quick Reply: 2012 Chevy Malibu teased ahead of Debut