Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

c7 vette x2 turbo v8?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 05:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DicN
This, they didn't put it in the C6.R for nothing.
They had to. The new rules for that class stated the engine could be no larger than 5.5 litres. I think they destroked it and stayed with the same bore size as before.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:22 PM
TECH Addict

^^^ That is correct, for the GT2 class. But they still managed to stay ahead of the pack and have continued to be able to make power through a smaller displacement engine WITH a restrictor plate, and extra weight.

I see the Paddle shifted trans coming on the C7 as well, that too was added to the C6R this year.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This has a less than 0% chance of happening. GM has NO plans for a 3.0L turbo V8 for the Corvette, or any car, for that matter. Even if they did, it wouldn't make any business sense - it'd be a completely brand-new engine design (as opposed to a GenV LSx design), it'd be expensive and wouldn't be used in anything but the Corvette, so it wouldn't sell in enough volume to justify it's existence. This "news story" is pure fantasy.

As for the 5.5L in the C6.R, that's a racing-only engine, built to conform to GT2 class rules. So far, there are only two Gen V engines slated for production - a 5.3L (for trucks/SUVs) and a 6.2L (for high-performance cars and maybe top-level trucks/SUVs). The Gen V engines will have direct injection and maybe VVT.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Buckwheat
GM is right on track with a small displacement turbo V8. Teamed with a dual clutch auto and perhaps a gvw of under 3200 lbs this will surely attract those with Ferrari taste but a Porsche budget.
I have to strongly disagree.
Ferrari owners want Ferraris because they are Ferraris, they honestly don't care if they perform well or not. They just want to tell people "Yea, I drive a Ferrari..." Otherwise they'd be driving a ZR1 for less money considering it would leave most Ferraris in the dust, while also not catching on fire or breaking down.
I don't see why GM would do an OHC TT setup, considering the added bulk and weight of being OHC, and then add in the turbos, piping, and intercooler(s). Thats a decent chunk of weight, complexity and cost for honestly nothing but being "different". I see no real advantage to this.
The current LS3 weighs around 400lbs and makes 430hp (and more importantly 420ft.lbs through the rev range) while still being purposely held back. A better flowing intake, exhaust, and more aggressive tune and your making significantly more power for very little money, all while still being small, compact and lightweight.

Does anyone else remember years ago rumors of the 4 door corvette? Turns out the media guessed wrong, and we got the CTS-V. Then the rumored Corvette SUV? That turned out to be the trailblazer SS.
Im guessing someone heard that GM has a TT sports car in the works and then they just assumed it to be the Corvette. Either that or maybe the next top of the line vette will have a 5.5L TT V8 making more power than the current ZR1.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:30 PM
TECH Addict

^^^ Didn't they test the Blue Devil with a turbo set-up and were unhappy with it and it actually caught fire because of the heat from the turbos?
Old 05-27-2011, 09:17 PM
10 Second Club

Cool

Originally Posted by skorpion317
So far, there are only two Gen V engines slated for production - a 5.3L (for trucks/SUVs) and a 6.2L (for high-performance cars and maybe top-level trucks/SUVs). The Gen V engines will have direct injection and maybe VVT.
This makes me feel all sorts of warm and fuzzy inside LOL.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:21 PM
TECH Regular

Couldn't DI result in fuel issues down the road if you try and push serious power?
Old 05-27-2011, 11:07 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by DiscerningZ32
Couldn't DI result in fuel issues down the road if you try and push serious power?
Yes, it possibly could. And I also wouldn't doubt that the manufacturers are going to become even more 'crafty' when it comes to locking their PCMs/limiting the tuning capabilities of future vehicles as well so it might even work hand in hand with that.
Probably not quite as much of an issue for a 'bolt ons only' kind of guy like myself but those that seek cams, strokers, and/or power adders might be negatively affected by DI.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:31 AM
On The Tree

This has a less than 0% chance of happening. GM has NO plans for a 3.0L turbo V8 for the Corvette, or any car, for that matter. Even if they did, it wouldn't make any business sense - it'd be a completely brand-new engine design (as opposed to a GenV LSx design), it'd be expensive and wouldn't be used in anything but the Corvette, so it wouldn't sell in enough volume to justify it's existence. This "news story" is pure fantasy.

As for the 5.5L in the C6.R, that's a racing-only engine, built to conform to GT2 class rules. So far, there are only two Gen V engines slated for production - a 5.3L (for trucks/SUVs) and a 6.2L (for high-performance cars and maybe top-level trucks/SUVs). The Gen V engines will have direct injection and maybe VVT.

There is a strong possibility that we will see a street version of the 5.5L motor from the C6.R in the C7.

Also as far as dual clutch transmission I surely hope they don't **** it up like they did with the paddle shifters they put in the C6. If they do it the setup should be along the lines of the Porsche PDK, the GT-R GR6 trans, or Lamborghini's E-Gear.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:03 PM
Staging Lane

We have ourselves a winning answer right here.

Last edited by bigbirddriver94; 05-28-2011 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Quote malfunction
Old 05-28-2011, 03:50 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TheHitman
Also as far as dual clutch transmission I surely hope they don't **** it up like they did with the paddle shifters they put in the C6.
I agree. Not that I consider it all that bad (I have the current 6L80 with paddles and it gets the job done) but it's not likely that they would do that in my opinion. They already have that set up so I just can't see them merely improving on the 'torque converted automatic with paddles' combination versus seeking some more 'cutting edge' and doing it the more desirable way.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Ferrari owners want Ferraris because they are Ferraris, they honestly don't care if they perform well or not. They just want to tell people "Yea, I drive a Ferrari..." Otherwise they'd be driving a ZR1 for less money considering it would leave most Ferraris in the dust, while also not catching on fire or breaking down.
I don't see why GM would do an OHC TT setup, considering the added bulk and weight of being OHC, and then add in the turbos, piping, and intercooler(s). Thats a decent chunk of weight, complexity and cost for honestly nothing but being "different". I see no real advantage to this.
The current LS3 weighs around 400lbs and makes 430hp (and more importantly 420ft.lbs through the rev range) while still being purposely held back. A better flowing intake, exhaust, and more aggressive tune and your making significantly more power for very little money, all while still being small, compact and lightweight.

Does anyone else remember years ago rumors of the 4 door corvette? Turns out the media guessed wrong, and we got the CTS-V. Then the rumored Corvette SUV? That turned out to be the trailblazer SS.
Im guessing someone heard that GM has a TT sports car in the works and then they just assumed it to be the Corvette. Either that or maybe the next top of the line vette will have a 5.5L TT V8 making more power than the current ZR1.
I think that if GM wants to attract "a very different sort of buyer" then the turbo is one of the steps they will have to take. A Mid engine platform would really get some interest from drivers who never imagined buying a vette. Now the 5.5L offered in either NA or turbo would be interesting and a smart move in keeping build costs down.
Old 05-28-2011, 11:19 PM
ZV8
12 Second Club

Yea I'm with some of the others on this that think its just bullshit to screw with ppl. However, direct injection has proven great in their V6's for fuel mileage and power and is no doubt eventually going into the V8's as well as having already proven VVT to help mileage but I dont see the need for them to lower displacement to a 5.5L for the street, unless they just want to have the customer think its the same engine they use in their GT series race cars? As far as a mid engine layout is concerned, I dont see the need for it unless it proves cheaper to build a mid-engine layout for a 50/50 weight dist, since the current C6Z06 is front engine yet it still retains a 50/50 weight distribution. But maybe they wont need to use as much carbon fiber, or other expensive materials to make it happen if it were a mid engine layout?
Old 05-28-2011, 11:23 PM
TECH Regular

wonder if the heads will be similar to the ls heads
Old 05-29-2011, 12:16 PM
TECH Veteran

if it was a race only engine, they would not have dumped Katech to have GMPP build the engines.
Old 05-29-2011, 03:03 PM
Now you have my attention

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Buckwheat
They had to. The new rules for that class stated the engine could be no larger than 5.5 litres. I think they destroked it and stayed with the same bore size as before.
Agreed, but aren't all the new LSX platforms shaken down in ALMS?
Old 05-29-2011, 04:48 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
The badge is not the only reason people buy Ferraris. There are definitely other differences between the ZR1 and any Ferrari besides the power.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

People are living in fantasy land if they think this 3.0T is going to happen
Old 05-30-2011, 11:08 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ZV8
As far as a mid engine layout is concerned, I dont see the need for it unless it proves cheaper to build a mid-engine layout for a 50/50 weight dist, since the current C6Z06 is front engine yet it still retains a 50/50 weight distribution. But maybe they wont need to use as much carbon fiber, or other expensive materials to make it happen if it were a mid engine layout?
Actually most mid engined cars do not have a 50/50 weight distribution, they're usually more rear biased and in the 60/40 - 55/45 range, but through proper suspension tuning can still be designed to perform very well.
The front engined (some might call it front-mid engined) design like the Corvette actually gets one much closer to that 50/50 than a mid engined one (and substantially better than a rear engine (ie: Porsche 911) one) in almost every case.
I don't see the Corvette going mid engine.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm all for a small turbo v8 as long as it's light weight and suits the build....throw in the split window as well! 63' was my favorite.

Turbocharger technology is climbing the mountain as we speak. It has yet to reach its peak, the technology coming out of turbos right now is amazing. Put it against a well designed small V8 and you have a recipe for success and great mpg(which we know is a requirement...)

Corvette is about the driving experience and all around performance, not just pure speed or straight line performance, that's what camaros are for Small displacement turbo V8 will allow for an excellent driving/performance experience and still retain aftermarket support and room to grow.

Ford's ecoboost also is pushing this, not to mention all the other car manufacturers that are utilizing turbochargers. Look at the 2012 Camaro V6 with integrated manifolds, you can't tell me that's not designed for turbocharging....

Last edited by turbo; 05-31-2011 at 01:49 PM.

Quick Reply: c7 vette x2 turbo v8?