Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

c7 vette x2 turbo v8?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 11:43 PM
Village Idiot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ha.. The New Corvette is going to be built like a Ferrari I suppose???.. Smaller motor higher reving to compensate for power at the wheels..

The only problem with that is friction and wear.. GM better shorten that warranty span at the dealers or they will be doing engine rebuilds after 50,000-75,000 miles..

10,000 rpm, that's spinning and that creates friction, heat and wear!!!.. I'll believe it when I see it in the C7...
Old 06-01-2011, 11:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

now it's not 10k, but the s2000 revs to around 8000, and carries a normal warranty.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JIBBBY
Ha.. The New Corvette is going to be built like a Ferrari I suppose???.. Smaller motor higher reving to compensate for power at the wheels..

The only problem with that is friction and wear.. GM better shorten that warranty span at the dealers or they will be doing engine rebuilds after 50,000-75,000 miles..

10,000 rpm, that's spinning and that creates friction, heat and wear!!!.. I'll believe it when I see it in the C7...
That's not how it works, if the motor is designed properly to rev that high, then it should not wear abnormally.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:14 PM
Village Idiot

^^ If you guys say soo..

If I'm not mistaken the history behind those smaller high powered higher reving Ferrari V8 engine designs is that they have a tendency to wear out faster then the norm.. Production made Ferrari's sold to the public..

Also, just look at the motorcycles.. Those smaller higher reving motorcycles engines typically start to wear out at what around 30,000-40,000 miles?

Perhaps GM has this figured out though....

Last edited by JIBBBY; 06-01-2011 at 12:19 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:54 PM
TECH Veteran

they arent going to build it..
Old 06-01-2011, 01:27 PM
TECH Resident

^^ If you guys say soo..

If I'm not mistaken the history behind those smaller high powered higher reving Ferrari V8 engine designs is that they have a tendency to wear out faster then the norm.. Production made Ferrari's sold to the public..

Also, just look at the motorcycles.. Those smaller higher reving motorcycles engines typically start to wear out at what around 30,000-40,000 miles?

I have 35k miles on my 07 zx6r.. Def. not worn out.. LMAO IDK where your getting your info from
Old 06-01-2011, 07:37 PM
Village Idiot

Originally Posted by speedracer2536
I have 35k miles on my 07 zx6r.. Def. not worn out.. LMAO IDK where your getting your info from
Well, your about do for an engine over haul if you've been ripping on it since you bought it...

However if you've been cruising it like a girl and keeping those rpms low, changing the fluids on time, you may squeeze 60,000-75,000 miles out of it tops.. Most motorcycle speedo's don't even go into the XXX,XXX range for a reason if I'm not mistaken..

In basic simple terms - Slow cool running larger motors like big Diesel engines are the opposite as they can practically run forever..

Cooler and slower the motor turns the longer it lasts... The faster and hotter the motor turns the shorter it lasts.. It's called heat, friction and wear.. Common knowledge no?

Am I wrong in thinking like this?
Old 06-01-2011, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, your about do for an engine over haul if you've been ripping on it since you bought it...

However if you've been cruising it like a girl and keeping those rpms low, changing the fluids on time, you may squeeze 60,000-75,000 miles out of it tops.. Most motorcycle speedo's don't even go into the XXX,XXX range for a reason if I'm not mistaken..

In basic simple terms - Slow cool running larger motors like big Diesel engines are the opposite as they can practically run forever..

Cooler and slower the motor turns the longer it lasts... The faster and hotter the motor turns the shorter it lasts.. It's called heat, friction and wear.. Common knowledge no?

Not true man, especially with how advanced a lot of these modern bikes are. Their motors are built to be durable while running under extreme conditions. If you use the correct oil and maintain the bike like you should, there is no telling how long it will last for.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheHitman
There is a strong possibility that we will see a street version of the 5.5L motor from the C6.R in the C7.
Absolutely not. The 5.5L was created for the sole purpose of meeting GT2 class rules, which limit displacement to 5.5L. From what I understand, the 5.5L is basically a de-stroked LS7.R engine. It will not be in any production vehicles.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:02 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by skorpion317
Absolutely not. The 5.5L was created for the sole purpose of meeting GT2 class rules, which limit displacement to 5.5L. From what I understand, the 5.5L is basically a de-stroked LS7.R engine. It will not be in any production vehicles.
How do we know that for sure. It was mentioned before by the guys at Bowling Green and there hasn't been any record of it not being introduced otherwise. Also seeing how the future of the automotive business is going its not like we are going to get any bigger displacment motors than the ones that are offered currently in the LS series.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

^^ If you guys say soo..

It's all about piston speeds and the stroke of the motor. Like mentioned, plenty of small displacement motors rev muc h higher than domestiv V8s, and also have a better reputation for longevity.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:11 PM
TECH Resident

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/next-cor...turbo-v-8.html

Just saw this on yahoo. dont no if its the same article or not. I think it stupid, the corvette has always been big v8.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheHitman
How do we know that for sure. It was mentioned before by the guys at Bowling Green and there hasn't been any record of it not being introduced otherwise. Also seeing how the future of the automotive business is going its not like we are going to get any bigger displacment motors than the ones that are offered currently in the LS series.
If the GT2 class rules said the maximum engine size was, say, 8.6L, I'm pretty sure GM would have an 8.6L LSx engine for the C6.R. They built the 5.5L because that's what the rules dictate.

If anything, the 5.5L LSx is a development platform, kind of like the C5R 427 was for the more recent Gen IV engines (LS3/LS7). GM will use it to test some of the technologies that will be going into the Gen V V8s.

The most likely features that will be incorporated are direct injection and variable valve timing. Supposedly, they'll use a similar VVT setup to the Dodge Viper, with a "cam-in-cam" design. The cam will also sit higher in the block - think NASCAR R07 engine. This will allow for shorter, stiffer pushrods, and apparently shorter connecting rods will be used as well. All of this will allow for a stable valvetrain, which means the engines will be able to rev higher.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:46 AM
TECH Addict

^^^^ I likes what I hears.

Thats some pretty solid info if it turns out to be true man. I would like to see the advancement of the engine we have all come to love. Screw all those that say the push-rod engine is dead. I'm sure with all these advancements we will be sure to see near 575-600whp N/A from stock cubes in the future after the tuner shops get ahold of them. Hell the LS3's cracked 500whp with H/C and bolt-ons.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:48 AM

I doubt people will be revving to 10K RPM all the time.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Next Corvette Will Be Powered by Small, High-Revving Turbo V-8
“We have to target a very different sort of buyer.”

Anxious to attract the sort of high-performance buyers increasingly drawn to European sports cars from the likes of Porsche, Ferrari and Lamborghini, General Motors is planning some major changes for the next-generation Chevrolet Corvette – starting with a high-revving, small-displacement powertrain, that will substitute for the big V-8s traditionally found under the hood of the Chevy two-seater.

GM has approved the use of a very European-style V-8 that will be only slightly larger than 3 liters in displacement. The engine will be an overhead-cam, rather than traditional overhead-valve design, using a dry sump oil system that’s particularly well suited to high-performance road courses rather than straight-line acceleration. The engine is expected to feature a narrow 80.5 mm bore and a long stroke, more like a Ferrari or Lamborghini powertrain than the approach used for traditional Motor City metal.

A very senior GM executive also confirmed that the new engine will be turbocharged, which will help yield a broad torque curve and maximum performance under a variety of driving conditions. The engine is expected to deliver in excess of 400 horsepower, which means a specific output in the range of 125 horsepower per liter. That’s the sort of number that would help the next-generation Vette stack up well against the likes of a Porsche 911 or Lamborghini Gallardo.

The engine is likely to be extremely high-revving, perhaps climbing to a near-Formula One-class 10,000 RPMs, suggested one source involved in the project.

The revelation tracks in line with a recent comment by General Motors’ North American President Mark Reuss, who recently promised that the so-called C7 Corvette, due to market in less than two years, will be “completely different” from the very American sports cars that have come before it. Since its launch in 1953, Corvette has been governed by the philosophy, “there’s no replacement for displacement.”

While Reuss and other senior executives have declined to discuss plans for the next Corvette publicly, several well-placed sources have given TheDetroitBureau.com a good sense of what’s to come. The small V-8 underscores what one of those insiders says is the desire to “target a very different sort of buyer for the next Corvette. Let’s face it, the current customer is getting old.” But without making significant changes, that source acknowledged, younger sports car fans will continue to be “conquested” by more modern, high-tech imports.

Significantly, Corvette won’t abandon its more classic powertrain roots entirely. There will be several different types of engines offered for the C7, including a more classic, big-block OHV V-8 designed to appeal to traditionalists.

In fact, some of the design cues of the new car will be borrowed from early generations. There have even been rumors of the C7 going with the split window of the very collectible 1963 Corvette, though TheDetroitBureau.com has not been able to confirm that that particular detail has been given the go.

Meanwhile, expect the interior to be much more modern than the current car’s, which GM’s global design chief Ed Welburn admits “is a disappointment.” The styling boss, a long-time Corvette fan himself, says he is personally overseeing the development of the C7 interior and promises it will be “absolutely world-class.”

Adopting a mid-engine layout, rather than the long-running front-engine design, is considered a strong possibility, though it would be a significant engineering shift for GM. Nonetheless, sources say that wouldn’t be entirely out of line, as the Corvette has often served as the technological test bed for the maker.

GM adopted the then-radical approach of using a fiberglass body when the original 1953 Corvette was launched. The sports car has introduced plenty of other features over the years, including the MagneRide suspension, which uses a magnetically controlled fluid to continuously vary suspension settings to match road conditions and driving behavior.

When migrating from the fifth-generation Corvette to today’s C6 model, GM trimmed weight and brought the sports car’s overall size down to something closer to that of a current Porsche 911. Anticipate further cuts in mass for the upcoming remake of Chevy’s halo car.

GM is investing $131 million in the Bowling Green, Kentucky plant that produces the Corvette to prepare for the C7 launch.

The use of the new small-displacement V-8 is likely to have some knock-on effects at GM, said one source. As with current Corvette powertrain technology, the high-tech engine will find its way into the Cadillac line-up, it appears, where it would help that brand’s V-Series evolve into a more sophisticated offering, rather than the brute-force line-up it is today.

The switch to a smaller, turbocharged V-8 isn’t exclusive to GM, incidentally. Ford made the move with its big F-Series pickup for 2011, offering a downsized EcoBoost twin-turbo V-6 — which delivers the same sort of towing power as the F-150′s biggest V-8, while yielding significant fuel economy improvements.
wow, I guess it is going to happen
Old 06-03-2011, 11:11 AM
TECH Resident

I just adjusted the valves in my bike last night.. I rip the **** out of my bike almost daily.. Its not due for any such rebuild.. I maintain my bike just like my cars.. The reason you dont see many higher mileage bikes is that most are totaled before then..
Old 06-03-2011, 12:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are there any pictures or specs of the R07 engine running around? I haven't been able to find much. Everything I have heard is 5.5 is racing only. 6.2 DI VVT for Gen V.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:35 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,717 Likes on 1,232 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
I have to strongly disagree.
Ferrari owners want Ferraris because they are Ferraris, they honestly don't care if they perform well or not. They just want to tell people "Yea, I drive a Ferrari..." Otherwise they'd be driving a ZR1 for less money considering it would leave most Ferraris in the dust, while also not catching on fire or breaking down.
I don't see why GM would do an OHC TT setup, considering the added bulk and weight of being OHC, and then add in the turbos, piping, and intercooler(s). Thats a decent chunk of weight, complexity and cost for honestly nothing but being "different". I see no real advantage to this.
The current LS3 weighs around 400lbs and makes 430hp (and more importantly 420ft.lbs through the rev range) while still being purposely held back. A better flowing intake, exhaust, and more aggressive tune and your making significantly more power for very little money, all while still being small, compact and lightweight.

Does anyone else remember years ago rumors of the 4 door corvette? Turns out the media guessed wrong, and we got the CTS-V. Then the rumored Corvette SUV? That turned out to be the trailblazer SS.
Im guessing someone heard that GM has a TT sports car in the works and then they just assumed it to be the Corvette. Either that or maybe the next top of the line vette will have a 5.5L TT V8 making more power than the current ZR1.
I agree completely.

You can have big displacement, and make big power in a (relatively) small case size with an OHV Gen IV.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:49 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by UBLUZIN03

Just saw this on yahoo. dont no if its the same article or not. I think it stupid, the corvette has always been big v8.
Not always. There was an almost 30-year period where there wasn't an engine bigger than 350ci. And let's not forget that the first years of the Corvette was Blue-Flame 6cyl/Powerglide only.

Quick Reply: c7 vette x2 turbo v8?