Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Chevrolet Becoming Four-Cylinder Brand, Cruze Now Leads Sales

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 11:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Chevrolet Becoming Four-Cylinder Brand, Cruze Now Leads Sales

(don't worry, they'll still offer trucks, the Camaro and Corvette)

Cars Lead Chevrolet Sales for First Time in 20 Years

By Anita Lienert, Correspondent | Published Jul 1, 2011

•Citing high gas prices, Chevrolet on Thursday said that its cars have outsold trucks, crossovers and SUVs for the first time in 20 years.
•Cars are expected to represent 47 percent of the brand's sales for the first half of 2011, Chevrolet said.
•The trend is noteworthy since Chevrolet has enjoyed a reputation as a strong truck brand in the U.S.

DETROIT — Chevrolet — once a powerhouse truck brand — said on Thursday that its cars have outsold combined sales of trucks, crossovers and SUVs in April, May and June of this year and are expected to represent 47 percent of the brand's sales for the first half of 2011.

The GM brand said in a statement that four-cylinder models are expected to account for 46 percent of Chevrolet retail sales for the first half of 2011. It attributed the trend to gas prices that are "more than a dollar higher than last year."

The migration of Chevrolet customers away from trucks to cars is dramatic evidence that high gas prices are forcing a move to smaller, more fuel-efficient vehicles.

The U.S. Energy Information Administration forecasts that the annual average regular-grade gasoline retail price will increase from $2.78 per gallon in 2010 to $3.60 per gallon in 2011 and $3.67 per gallon in 2012. The average price for a gallon of regular unleaded gasoline in the U.S. stood at $3.54 on Thursday, according to the AAA Daily Fuel Gauge.

The last time Chevy cars outsold trucks for three straight months was in May, June and July of 1991, when they made up 52 percent of sales for the year.

Chevrolet noted that there is strong demand for the Cruze and Malibu this year. It is also expected to get a boost from the Chevrolet Sonic subcompact, which goes on sale this fall, and the Chevrolet Spark minicar, slated to debut in late 2012. The Spark will be the smallest car in the Chevy lineup.

"Chevrolet's fuel-efficient engines and strong passenger car lineup make us much less vulnerable to fluctuating gas prices than we were just a few years ago," said Alan Batey, Chevrolet's U.S. vice president in a statement.

Inside Line says: Chevrolet — once an iconic American truck manufacturer — morphs into a car brand, as Americans continue to be pounded at the pump.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:41 AM
TECH Veteran

By Jack Baruth on July 1, 2011

Chevrolet cars have outsold combined sales of trucks, crossovers and utilities in April, May and June of this year – and are expected to represent 47 percent of the brand’s sales for the first half of 2011. The last time cars led Chevrolet’s sales for three consecutive months was in May, June, and July of 1991. That year, cars represented 52 percent of Chevrolet sales.

“Chevrolet has always been known for building great trucks,” said Alan Batey, U.S. vice president, Chevrolet Sales and Service. “Today, we are in the middle of transforming the brand with a strong lineup of cars that match the appeal of our trucks and crossovers.

“That transformation is clearly bringing new customers to the brand – as passenger cars and four-cylinder engines are driving Chevrolet’s growth this year,” Batey said. “We expect that momentum to accelerate as Chevrolet introduces three new cars over the next two years – the Sonic, Spark, and next-generation Malibu.”

With the resurgent four-cylinder Equinox leading the way. Chevrolet is on its way to becoming a four-cylinder brand in the same way that Honda, Toyota, Hyundai and (to a lesser extent) Nissan have always been four-cylinder brands. Credit has to go to the new lineup of small cars. With the imminent arrival of the “Sonic” and “Spark”, the trend will only continue.

Chevrolet made a name with affordable six-cylinders, captured the country’s heart with affordable eight-cylinders, and now competes by high mpg four-cylinders. Since the disappearance of the Impala SS, it’s not even possible to get a family-oriented Chevy car with a bent-eight. Depressing, huh? Look on the bright side: the 2.4L engine in the Equinox has almost fifty more net horses than the original 1955 Chevrolet small-block.

Old 07-03-2011, 12:14 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

It's a smart move on their part (and/or the buying public's part), in the wake of $4.00 per gallon gas prices they really did need to put some more emphasis on cars (smaller/more fuel efficient ones in particular)...but again ONLY if the beloved Corvette and Camaro lines remained.

I like the Cruze, I would have a tough time deciding between it and the Focus if I were seeking something in that market.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Speaking of the Corvette, the sales for it are completely in the toilet. The C7 can't come soon enough and hopefully it's a complete revelation instead of a tiny evolution.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:50 PM
10 second playa

Are the Sonic and the Spark real Chevrolet's like the Cruze?

Or

Are they re-badged Korean cars like the Geo's were?
What were those Kia's?
Old 07-03-2011, 01:09 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Aveo was a Daewoo. I think that the new models both are globally designed and not taken from one brand.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Anonymous
Yes, the Cruze, Sonic and Spark are all Daewoos and were concieved and engineered in South Korea and assembled globally for different GM markets around the world.

GM has phased out the Daewoo name and renamed the subsidary Chevrolet. So now Daewoo is Chevrolet in South Korea and the rest of Asia.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:38 PM
10 Second Club

Or

What were those Kia's?
I believe some of the Geos were Suzukis and the Geo Prizm (formerly the Nova?) was part of that joint venture (NUMMI plant?) with Toyota (Corolla).
Old 07-03-2011, 02:39 PM
10 Second Club

Question

Originally Posted by TriShield
Speaking of the Corvette, the sales for it are completely in the toilet.
I know that was the case around 6+ months ago but I'd heard that very recently there was a small resurgence in Vette sales or something.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:44 PM
10 second playa

Originally Posted by Wolfsblut
The Aveo was a Daewoo. I think that the new models both are globally designed and not taken from one brand.
That's it, I couldn't remember the name of the latest junk box, it was Aveo.

Right and it was made by Daewoo. My mind is failing me in my old age.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:51 PM
10 second playa

Originally Posted by TriShield
Yes, the Cruze, Sonic and Spark are all Daewoos and were concieved and engineered in South Korea and assembled globally for different GM markets around the world.

GM has phased out the Daewoo name and renamed the subsidary Chevrolet. So now Daewoo is Chevrolet in South Korea and the rest of Asia.
Interesting.

So even the Cruze is a Daewoo? (In reality)

I thought it was designed and engineered (for the most part) in North America?
Isn't it the evolution of the Cavalier, Cobalt....Cruze?

Chevrolet's littlest cars have been imports for decades. (That much I remember)

So is the Cruze destined to fall apart in about 5 to 7 years?
You NEVER see Geo's or Daewoo's on the road anymore.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:00 PM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

So is the Cruze destined to fall apart in about 5 to 7 years?
I don't think so, GM/Chevrolet has WAY too much riding on that platform and I'm thinking that both the engineers and the bean counters really got together on that one to make sure it could truly compete with it's Japanese, Korean and domestic competition. Or at least I hope so.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm waiting to see what the Tuner crowd does with the Cruze. It's a good looking car IMO.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:33 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Spoolin
I'm waiting to see what the Tuner crowd does with the Cruze. It's a good looking car IMO.

Old 07-04-2011, 12:23 PM
TECH Veteran

I thought it was designed and engineered (for the most part) in North America? Isn't it the evolution of the Cavalier, Cobalt....Cruze?
No, it's a Daewoo but it is assembled here. GM has put lots of people from Holden and GMNA in charge and in styling and engineering at Daewoo to turn it around and into GM's small car global engineering center so the cars should be a bit better than they were many years ago.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

I wonder how hard it would be to drop an Ls motor in that little 4-door! :hmmm:
Old 07-06-2011, 01:00 AM
TECH Junkie

I would definitely rock one of those orange/black Cruzes. Reminds me of a G8
Old 07-06-2011, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Chevy Cruise they sell in this country is made in Lordstown OH. I know the current gen Aveo is still made in South Korea, and honestly you couldn't give me one of those shitboxes. Kia's bottom of the line stripper shitbox(I think its called the Rio) is a way more substantial feeling car that costs the same and looks a million times better.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by AronZ28
The Chevy Cruise they sell in this country is made in Lordstown OH. I know the current gen Aveo is still made in South Korea, and honestly you couldn't give me one of those shitboxes.
The Sonic is really an Aveo with a different name but like the Cruze it will be assembled here instead of Korea this time around. The Sonic will retain the Aveo name everywhere else except for North America.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:49 PM
TECH Veteran

It's also official, the Cruze was America's best selling car last month displacing the Toyota Camry.

Quick Reply: Chevrolet Becoming Four-Cylinder Brand, Cruze Now Leads Sales